Connecticut Senator Backpedals From GTA IV Rape Comments

On Wedneday GamePolitics reported on comments attributed to Connecticut State Senator Gayle Slossberg (D) regarding an alleged rape scene in Grand Theft Auto IV.

No such sequence exists, however.

PSXextreme now has Sen. Slossberg’s response to the furor created by the earlier report, which appeared in the New Haven Advocate. Slossberg’s statement reads:

The article in the New Haven Advocate misrepresented my off-the-record-comments during an informal conversation about parenting. I was in no way announcing a legislative proposal, announcing intent to introduce legislation or taking a public position on restricting the content of video games.

GP: It’s unclear what Sen. Slossberg means when she says that the Advocate "misrepresented" her remarks. Her insistence that her comments were "off-the-record" would seem to indicate that she may have indeed made the remarks, but did not anticipate that they would be reported. We can’t help but notice that the Senator has not issued a denial of what the Advocate reported.

GamePolitics has requested comment on the issue from the Advocate. We will report that when it is received.

oto kirlama says:

I’m all for freedom of ttnet vitamin speech and allowing rent a car game makers to put whatever they want in games, but there’s one thing about this app that has me scratching my head.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but from araç kiralama the previous article araba kiralama on this I gathered that players can use Google maps in-game to find the other (real-life?) dealers in their area.  If this is the case, has travesti anyone considered what’s stopping someone from using this app to actually move drugs between hands for reals?

But majority araba kiralama of their outrage araç kiralama stems from what it could DO TO children, not the content itself.  Talk to one of these people and you’ll find they don’t think any books kiralık araba should be banned from children.  Mention American Psycho and they talk about kiralık araç the redeeming value of using imagination to construct a story.  Reading, no matter what the content, is largely viewed as a consequenceless activity for people of any age.  The reason why I mention American Psycho is because of the content itself.  Gaming never has and likely never will have any scenes where someone has sex with a severed head.  Not gonna happen.  Yet despite this, they’ll fight tooth and nail to protect their children from two boys kissing in Bully but whatever they read is harmless… yeah.

The entire arguement is kiralık oto based upon a social normality inflicted by luddites who can’t figure out the controls for Halo so it’s frightening and terrifying and obviously the cause of youth violence on the rise even though, in reality, it’s in decline (which is actually a HUGE suprise given minibüs kiralama the economies status).  In  a perfect world, we would have parents that actually parent.  The idea of sales restrictions on media on oto kiralama any form to accomidate parental unwillingness to get involved with their child’s life is the real problem to me.  Here I am, 32 years old, and being held up at a self-scan rent a car needing to show ID before I can buy a $10 M rated game all because Soccer Momthra can’t be bothered to look at the crap Billy Genericallystupidson does in his free time.  It’s too hard for her, so I have to suffer?

Anonymous says:

The Advocate story said she made the remarks at a press conference. Must have been one of those off-the-record press conferences that are all the rage these days.

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

I think we have to keep the preassure in this matter. Maybe in that way others politicians will learn the lesson: stop talking sh1t about things you don´t know sh1t…

—————————————————————————- The cynical side of videogames (spanish only):

Ravenhawk ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Excellent use of double-speak, indeed.

Her answer in no way addresses the question at hand.

It’s moments like this that make me ponder why people think our form of government is so grand. You would think that eventually people would catch on that having a class of people whose only job is legislating, quite often without specific knowledge about what they’re legislating about, is a bad thing.

Brainswarm says:

Doesn’t the Senator realize when you talk to a reporter, nothing is really off the record?  That if something juicy enough comes out in an "off-the-record" chat, the reporter will probably use it anyway?  Remember when Connie Chung said "Just between you and me, Mrs. Gingrich, what does your son think of Hilary Clinton?"

Parents should lie to their children about entertainment so that a new generation of fearmongerers can be born!!! Nanny state bitch.

-If shit and bricks were candy and tits, we’d all be livin’ large. For information on games and psychology, look up: Jonathan Freedman(2002)Block & Crain(2007)Grand Theft Childhood, by Harvard Medical School researchers Larry Kutner and Cheryl Olson

JustChris says:

The inherent problem with representatives (and all politicans) is that people expect them to talk about everything under the sun. But you cannot know about everything, and trying to know everything makes you lose focus and motivation. It’s why civilization has specialized jobs. Clearly it’s up to them to get their information from other sources and to make sure they’re reliable. Most politicians, it seems, don’t have the drive to look into stuff for themselves. I would too, if I were to deal with transit budgets, gun laws, voter approval, disaster plans, crime regulation, and everything else that puts me on the spot.

Brian says:

I actually e-mailed her about it and I don’t live in Connecticut (didn’t tell her that).  I was real polite, but I just explained to her that elected officials need to pay more attention to the voice of the people who put them in office…and when millions of people say there is no rape in a video game, odds are…there is NO RAPE in a video game.

GryphonOsiris says:

In other words, she’s back peddling and trying to damage control. Love it how these people never seem to actually care that they are lying until they get caught.

Anonymous says:

What, no Clinton jokes (what was it she said about her comment about ariveing under sniper fire, she misspoke?) GP readers you have failed me

Icehawk says:

ROFL.  Double talk at it finest, she should have been in book 1984.

"I know what I said, but you dont know what I meant."

"I was wrong but it was someone elses fault.  They misquoted my exact words"

As for the rest Dennis, I would not hold out much hope of getting any helpful/useful information from that camp.   Cagey that one.  She is a politician to the bone.

AmazedSatsuma says:

To be fair, she must have gotten hundreds of email, you shouldn’t expect her to respond to each one

BTW I got a reply to email I sent (granted its was the same prepared statement that PSXextreme got) and I don’t even live in Connecticut

Attack_Gypsy ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

She never responded to my letter.

So, sounds like she doesn’t care about the people she’s supposed to represent. Guess I’ll have to vote for her opponent next time.

DannyLedonne ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah.  I got the SAME EXACT response.  Probably because when you say something stupid to a newspaper, you’re going to get a LOT of people writing you an email to correct your rhetorical blunder.  At that point, you simply must pass the buck off to the newspaper itself – ad infinitum.

I replied to Slossberg again and suggested she request a retraction from New Haven Advocate if indeed her comments were misrepresented.  She has not written me back – likely because no stock response yet exists from her office on this matter.

Chadachada ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I got a letter back, it was basically copy-pasted exactly what the above statement said, but also said to ask questions if I have them, and apologized =)

Oh, I’ve got it right here

Dear Mr. *Last Name Withheld*:

Thank you for contacting my office with your concerns.

The article in the New Haven Advocate misrepresented my off-the-record-comments during an informal conversation about parenting.  I was in no way announcing a legislative proposal, announcing intent to introduce legislation or taking a public position on restricting the content of video games.

Thank you again for your interest.  If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

With warm regards,

Gayle Slossberg

Anonymous says:

In most states, contacting your representative and/or senator is required an answer.  Usually, its in the form of a letter on stationary, address to the letter writer on the elect offical’s stance on an issue.  That is for most states, not all of them.

However, like everything else, if your considered a ‘no-body’ by the offical, chances are slim to none the person will care about you.  Now if that doesnt offend you, dont get worked up over it.  If you, then you might just be a real American.  If you still do not get satification, you can always throw your support in for their opponent(s) in the next race.

Anonymous says:

If I had even gotten a form letter response, I would have taken it. But nothing. absolutely nothing.

I’m rather disgusted right now.

Tubatic ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m certain its not her job to sit there and answer emails all day, of which (i would hope) she gets 100s of about more pressing issues than alleged video game legislation intentions.

I’d wait at least a week, 2 tops. Then get irrate :)

Loudspeaker says:

Excuse me?  She’s HIS REPRESENTATIVE!!!  It’s her responsibility to respond.

Those of us who have zero voting power against her being ignored or responses delayed make some sense and she can have a pass on that.  However, an elected official who represents the person writing the letter to her, has no excuse for not responding.  That is a blatent reason for someone to be removed from office.

"Volume helps to get a point across but sharp teeth are better."

Anonymous says:

Just for fun, I just Googled "Cooper Lawrence".  The first two hits were her own website.  The third was the GP article about her Mass Effect debacle.

I love this site.

Anonymous says:

Perhaps I would suggest that instead the book be bought used, shredded page by page, and then tossed into a recycling bin. No new money goes to her, and you get some actual use out of the book….

Jack Wessels says:

Only one pseudo-phsychological book that has been described as ignorant, biased, bigot[ted], tiresome, worthless, craptacular, and flabby arms.

For a full list, here’s a link to the tags customers have given it on Amazon.

Jack Wessels says:

I guess I could bring matches into the store with me….

Though seeing how the book was considered total crap by people who read it and weren’t just pissed about her bashing Mass Effect, I don’t think one copy sold would really do her a lot of good anyways.

My guess is her book is like the PS3. It lacks quality content, and it’s done nothing but lose her money, though I doubt it’s even close to the 3 billion dollars Sony’s lost….

DarkTetsuya says:

Wouldn’t she still get money from that? Surely there’s some way to get the book second-hand so you wouldn’t have to fund her deceit.

Speaking of which Gayle didn’t use the ‘m’ word… 😛

Jabrwock says:

Nice dodging of the "rape" comment. So did you claim it had a rape scene, or not?

— If your wiimote goes snicker-snack, check your wrist-strap…

Jack Wessels says:

Oh dude, don’t even get me started on Cooper Lawrence.

If I ever see "The Cult of Perfection" in a book store I’m going to buy it just so I can light it on fire.

nightwng2000 says:

"The article in the New Haven Advocate misrepresented my off-the-record-comments during an informal conversation about parenting. "

I… see.

So your idea, senator, of good Parenting, is to spread rumors, lie to and deceive individuals and Parents, about content in media?

Uh huh.  Interesting moral character there.

But then, a lot of individuals, organizations, and government officials and entities who scream "Family Values", "Protect the children!" seem to have those same ideas of "morality".

I wonder if she knows Cooper Lawrence?

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

Anonymous says:

I’d honestly say I think any and all damage in that way has already been done. Anyone who’d care if she was right or wrong already knows if they’d support her or not. The diffrence being if she applogised she might earn some gamers back for being honest.

Loudspeaker says:

She’s still sidestepping the article.  There’s no denial of her comments only that they were "misrepresented".  I’m not buying it.  Was there some journalistic spin on what she said?  Most likely, however the more believable scenario is she was in, "talking with parents who want zero responsibility" mode while she was being interviewed.

I’m waiting with great anticipation on the Advocate’s response.

"Volume helps to get a point across but sharp teeth are better."