Girl Sentenced in So-called Mortal Kombat Murder Case

GamePolitics readers will likely recall the tragic killing of 7-year-old Zoe Garcia last December.

The child died from injuries received at the hands of Lamar Roberts, the boyfriend of her sister, Heather Trujillo, 17, who was babysitting for Zoe at the time.

At some point the pair apparently made comments to investigators that they were acting out moves from Mortal Kombat. However, as we reported earlier this year, Heather’s aunt believes that Roberts made up the Mortal Kombat story to "look tough" (see: Is Brutal "Mortal Kombat" Murder Lacking the Mortal Kombat Part?).

As reported by Colorado’s 9news, Trujillo has received an 18-year sentence which will be suspended if she successfully completes six years in a program for young offenders. She must also testify against Roberts at his upcoming trial.

GP: This case is a terrible tragedy. But beyond that it demonstrates the media’s focus on the sensational – and perhaps untrue – Mortal Kombat aspect. What has not received nearly as much coverage is that this was a completely dysfunctional family situation, one that was well known to family service authorities in at least two states.

Via: Kotaku

TrakeM says:

True enough, and prejudice is prejudice whether it’s based on race or gender, it’s all equaly wrong.  In this case though, prejudace has been given the force of LAW.  When sexism becomes law, I think something has to be done about it.  I always wonder if there is a way to prosicute judges that turn their prejudices against a gender into law.  Does that NOT count as abuse of power?  If it does, it’s sure as hell not a victimless crime.

Vigil says:

I dont think you understand what happened here. It seems the general consensous here is that since she was in the room at the time, she should be marched to the gallows and hung. In the post above Daria C tried to explain the differance between manslaughter and murder. Pay attention.

Did she plan on killing her sister for a long time, in thought out manner? If the answer is no, she is not guilty of first degree murder.

Did she plan on killing her sister at the moment? If no, she is not guilty of second degree murder.

Did she lead her sister to actions that would cause her death, and where these actions planned out ahead of time? If no she is not guilty of first degree manslaughter.

Did she accidently kill her sister at the time? I would say yes. This is second degree manslaughter. And you cannot be sent to prison for life for manslaughter.

I don’t think anyone here  knows truely what happened. No one was with them when it happened. Mabye we should all stop jumping to conclusions.

Anonymous says:

I should have said "…when it comes to matters of sex in the public’s eye they’re scrutinized harder than men for things like being promiscuous."

Meggie ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Finally someone who uses the word "prejudice" and not "racist" when refering to the girl getting off lighter than the guy (gender isn’t a race).  Women don’t get off scott free all the time, when it comes to matters of sex they’re scrutinized harder than men, but when it comes to violence, men are given harder punishments.

The cruelty from this case made an impression on me, the girl threw her sister in the bathtub when she thought the unconscious girl was "faking it." She showed no mercy to this girl, she shouldn’t be shown any in return.

TrakeM says:

I don’t think you understand what happened here.  She directly caused every bit as much physical damage to the child as the guy did.  She wasn’t in a corner doing nothing while the guy came in and killed the child.  She personaly and physicaly helped beat the child to death.

Daria C says:

First off, she was probably crying over the entire situation. Do you think she wanted her sister to die? Do you think she started that day thinkingto herself, "Time to eliminate the competetion!"? No! She just lost her sister, and it now shes been convicted of her murder. If you were in her position, you would be crying too.

A lot of people don’t seem to grasp what the term "Murder" actully means "The crime of unlawfully killing a person, with malice aforethought." Since she didnt plan on killing her sister, this is not a case of murder. Thats why our legal system uses the terms "manslaughter" and "neglect", and other things: so there are multiple levels of punishment for crimes resulting in an individuals death.

She brought the situation upon her sister? Yes. But, did she aim to get her sister killed? Not at all.  And like I said below, it is her boyfriend that actully killer the sister. Not her. Who did what in crimes tends to be important.

Daria C says:

I think eighteen (even the possible six) years is a little extreme. Wasnt it the boyfriend who killed the little girl? If anything, she is guilty of neglect and endangering a child, not murder or manslaughter. By all means prosecute the (CENSORED) boyfriend for trying out game moves on a 7 year of girl, but it seems like Heathers getting it a little hard in my opinion.

Its a shame, she’s kinda cute.

P.S. I don’t understand? What is with people and trying out moves in mortal combat? Why no other games?

Anonymous says:

And also, so what if her child hood was messed up and all that.  She’s not the only person in this god-forsaken world who has to deal with demons and other shit that happened in her childhood.  Fucking pathetic piece of shits only complain about what happened in the past and try to use that bullshit as justification for their fuckups in the present.

I’m sure there is alot of you out there that post on this site that have had bad experiences in their childhoods or teens growing up, but do you guys use that to justifity stupid decisions and fuckups now?  I sure as well hope not.  So why should this women get the same deal?

Yours truly,

Anonymous says:

Its very simple.  She helped commit a crime against another human being, thus ending her life.  The only recourse for her is to goto jail for a real long time or face the death penalty.

Its very easy for people to claim that other outside influences had a hand in bringing about the situation, but its still the very simple "Don’t do it".  They had a choice to do what they did to that girl, and they proceeded to do it.  They could have choosen not to, but they still choose to do it, and now she’s dead.

Trying to say that outside influences or whatever it is ‘made’ them make the wrong choice is utterly moronic.  That is why we’re having all these ‘politicans’ blaming video games for whatever is going on right now.  By giving this woman a chance to get out of her responsibility, your basically saying to her that it was not her fault in anyway that her sister is now dead.  And the argument that jail creates even worse criminals, well.. thats what you get when you don’t have the death penalty and hand out pathetically light sentances to criminals who deserve worse.

Further more, why is she in tears in her pictures?  What the F**K.  Is she crying because she got sentanced in the first place?  Cause my god, if she was crying for her dead sister.. she deserves to be slapped upside the head until she loses consiousness because, why the hell did she let her sister get killed in the first place?  Anybody?

Yours truly,

Anonymous says:

shes getting a smaller sentence cuz she was drunk and didnt know what she was doing but shes still a soulless piece of trash and her boyfriend

Ace ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah, because people who spend years in jail come out so much better…
    Mhm…right. Lets put people in a place with other criminals, let simmer for a few years and see what comes out. Better yet, lets put ’em in there when they’re just teenagers and let them become adults within the institution.

Excellent idea. It’s not like the U.S. has any problems with prison space. Stuff ’em in there I say!

Incarceration is just such a silly punishment in my opinion. Costs money to keep the criminals alive, they contribute nothing (except license plates), and they come out often more messed up than when they went in. And that girl was clearly fully to blame for what she did, not like she had a boyfriend who was a bad influence nor a abusive mother…oh wait a minute…

"Following Zoe’s death, her mother, Dana Trujillo, was arrested on an old child abuse warrant from New Mexico. Social service records reveal 20 complaints of abuse directed toward Zoe, in both Colorado and New Mexico."

Whoops…No wonder the kid is messed up.
    You know what’d make her right? 18 YEARS IN PRISON! GREAT IDEA!

Chalts says:

Why are they giving her this stupid mercy option? Six years is NOT enough for participating in the murder of a child. She should serve at LEAST the full eighteen. Preferably more.

GryphonOsiris says:

All things considered, I think the worst punishment is the fact that she has to live with herself knowing that she helped kill her little sister. I don’t know about you, but that alone would kill me.

Anonymous says:

People seem to think that the system is prejudice to guys, and i disagree. It’s prejudice to girls. The guy got what he deserved, the girl cried and got out of it. Guys get punished fairly. Girls get off scott free alot. It’s just like many things though, breast cancer research is sooooo much more funded then prostate. etc, etc.

Anonymous says:

I think the generally accepted view of children in society is that they are innocent and helpless (for the most part), and should be protected. I believe that both of the accused parties should go to jail for the rest of their lives. What they did was sick.

I read a couple comments concerning the fact that Heather Trujillo was drunk and therefore didn’t know what she was doing. I say, bullshit. When you’re drunk you know exactly what you’re doing. Your inhibitions are lowered to a degree, yes, but you are aware of what you’re doing. The next person that says "I was so drunk last night, I don’t remember what I did." is a liar. Alcohol doesn’t block memory. Chances are they did something they’re ashamed of, and are simply using the societally acceptable excuse of "I was drunk, so it doesn’t count."

Cameron Lourenco says:

I don’t get it, why is the girl going to jail of the young girl died at the hands of Lamar, the boyfriend? Shouldn’t HE be the one going away? What does putting girl away do for anyone? We will be paying tax dollars to put someone away anyhow, so it doesn’t matter where they go, be it a prison or halfway house. People never get out of prison better people anyway, so I don’t see the need for it.

Loudspeaker says:

I agree, however in US society a woman is never responsible unless found guilty…  Twice.  I mean it must have been the boyfriend’s idea even though they were both drunk and both just as retarded…

"Volume helps to get a point across but sharp teeth are better."

point09micron says:

I agree.  Anyone of normal mental capacity over 15 should be handled as an adult in criminal legal proceedings, because they should be old enough to know better.

Austin_Lewis says:

Oh, how nice. They gave her a sentence that really only means six years, which, depending on what program it is, could be served out of jail in an ‘institution’ (read psych ward) or in a halfway house.  She’ll be living on our tax dollars, and going to a touchy feely program the whole time.

What a crock of horseshit; put her in jail and make her serve the whole eighteen years.

TrakeM says:

Yea, I don’t think skin collor has too much to do with what’s going on here.  I think it’s about gender.  Just as sick and racist (none more none less) though.

TrakeM says:

This is the truely sad part.  The reason she got such a low sentance has nothing to do with her past.  The US court system is rediculously racist against men.  Plain and simple.  And to anyone who dissagrees with me, wait till you hear the sentance that the male gets for doing the same damn crime.

Jodalmighty says:

So he kicked the little girl, she, "punched [Zoe] in the stomach, karate chopped her lower arms, punched and pinched the victim’s thighs, kicked her in the shins, slapped her stomach and buttocks and poked at the victim’s chest."  She gets the nice touchy feely sentence and in exchange she puts the black male in prison.  What century are we living in?

chadachada ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

W00T amen to that. She got it easy considering she KILLED HER SISTER

I personally think she should get 18 years for what she did. She did murder someone you know

Austin_Lewis says:

Those programs don’t help people unless the people are actually A) trying to get help, not just there for the lessened sentence and B) actively participating, which at least 75% don’t do.

What she really needs is her tubes tied, so we don’t have to deal with this when she has her own child and tries to microwave it.

neoelasticman says:

knowing better is not a sign of age, but of mental maturity. If her family is half as messed up as it seems to be, I would not be inclined to think she knew anything better.

I’m all for justice, but I also think a second chance should be available to anybody with the mental capacity to do something with that chance. She’s pretty stupid, and got in with the wrong boyfriend to boot, but she’s not a sociopath (to my knowledge) or a nut job, so maybe six years of service is just what she needs.

If you’re worried about tax dollars, think of it this way: They’re taking that tax from you no matter what they ending using or not using it for. As long as they have it, they might as well attempt to help an idiot from being an idiot anymore.

Then again, I have an unnaturally large optimism, so I may be wrong…

Anonymous says:

You know, that’s just the kind of ammo that the anti-game crowd need. You shouldn’t say these things on a forum where they could later show up in a faux news report.

And that is why I’m not going to say how loud I laughed at that comment. Because I wouldn’t want to be quoted on it.

Yeah, that was a pretty weak arguement…If someone did that shit to anyone in my famly I’d rip their fucking throat out. This worthless piece of shit did this on porpose and she deserves to die. The arguement that a "catch and (eventually) release" system doesn’t work actually makes it seem even more practical to execute her.

-If shit and bricks were candy and tits, we’d all be livin’ large. For information on games and psychology, look up: Jonathan Freedman(2002)Block & Crain(2007)Grand Theft Childhood, by Harvard Medical School researchers Larry Kutner and Cheryl Olson

Brokenscope says:

"The argument that a "catch and (eventually) release" system doesn’t work actually makes it seem even more practical to execute her."

Congratulations, you must have missed the part where I wondered if more extreme sentencing was a viable option.

Brokenscope says:

1:Yes, because no discussion here can be related to the larger issues in the world. Pardon me for posting a random musing about things that went far beyond the scope of the article. I’ll be sure to not talk about IP law or other industries involved in it during the next game piracy article.

2:When did I call this a victim less crime, I was thinking of pot among other things.

3:Then why are there no charges of 1st degree murder?

4:I think society in general would disagree with you at this point.

5:Thats what everyone says about drunk drivers till they themselves fuck up.

I made no judgment on her sentencing. I specifically stayed away from that because I think it would be pointless to discuss it here.

Dark Sovereign says:

1) You’ve expanded this far beyond it’s scope

2) This is NOT a victimless crime

3) This is NOT an accident

4) She needs life in prison or death by any means. She helped slaughter a child.

5) Speak for yourself. I certainly wouldn’t associate with someone who would beat my sister.

chadachada ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m sorry, but if I killed my little sister, or a little 7-year-old girl, I would hope someone killed me. There are some things that are just stupid or accidents, but this case is way, way, WAY over the line.

Brokenscope says:

Here is what it boils down to.

Long term incarceration then release usually doesn’t work. You end up putting someone who has been living in a society wholly alien to the outside world, where in all likelihood they are going to commit another crime. In some cases the punishment makes the situation worse and the justice system feeds back into itself. All were getting to show from it is an overcrowded prison population and increasingly violent criminals. On the same note there are people who will never be able to function in normal society. It’s a hard choice but some people just can’t live with other people. Which brings up other questions, like is it wrong to imprison (or execute) someone for life because of a childhood they had no control over or a mental defect they were born with?

Personally, I think we put to many people in jail for victimless crimes, and I think most everyone knows what I’m talking about. We also have to draw a legal line between stupid and evil. There is to an extent one already, but judging from the comments it isn’t clear enough. But for now we are stuck with a stupid legal system.

On another note, shit does happen by accident, sometimes good or average people fuck up and for all our cries of “remove them from the gene pool” and “fucking idiots, I would never do that” are bullshit. It could be anyone of us in that court room, get over yourself.

Belgarion89 says:

Death penalty, that way the executioner aftwerwards could go "FATALITY!"

So speak I, some random guy.

infect999 says:

she looks like one of my old guildmates

anyway, do you think they would’ve gotten life if they had ripped the baby’s head and spine out? (I know that’s a mean joke, but I just couldn’t resist)

Brokenscope says:

"Unfortunately the legal system would rather let the girl go for a chance to hamstring the guy. That’s how I see it anyway."

There fixed that for you.

Keith K says:

She is lucky she was able to plea-bargain a testimony against a black guy. As far as I’m concerned, she is more responsible than he is. The child was her sister and her responsibility. The man was her guest and her responsibility.

Unfortunately the legal system would rather let the girl go for a chance to hamstring the black guy. That’s how I see it anyway.

chadachada ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The dude was black? I was more focused on the fact that he was a disgusting waste of flesh and devoid of humanity for what he did

They should beat her to death…god damn wussy justice system…