Minnesota Guv Who Signed Failed Video Game Law is a Bit of a Gamer Himself

July 4, 2008 -

It was widely reported this week that Minnesota would reimburse the video game industry $65,000 for legal fees incurred fighting the state's 2006 "fine the buyer" video game law in federal court.

Oddly enough, Gov. Tim Pawlenty (R), who signed the bill into law after it was approved by the Minnesota legislature, is apparently a bit of a gamer himself. That news comes from a passing mention buried within a lengthy 2007 profile of Pawlenty in the Weekly Standard. We just happened upon it this morning. Here's the gaming bit:

Growing up, Pawlenty played hockey. He is still a rabid NHL fan. The first website he visits each morning is hockeyfights.com, which shows combat highlights from the previous night's games. He plays the ESPN hockey video game in his spare time, often taking on one of his two daughters.

Okay, so Pawlenty doesn't necessarily keep up with the latest releases. The last ESPN-branded hockey game was ESPN NHL 2K5, released in August, 2004, nearly three years before the Weekly Standard article appeared. Still, it's always nice to see a politician who games, even a little. And always troubling to see one who legislates games. With Pawlenty, you apparently get both.

Comments

Re: Minnesota Guv Who Signed Failed Video Game Law is a Bit of

I miss Jesse The Body/The Mind Ventura. He ain't got time to sign asinine legislation

Re: Minnesota Guv Who Signed Failed Video Game Law is a Bit of

Everyone knows those aren't real games.

Re: Minnesota Guv Who Signed Failed Video Game Law is a Bit of

"The Minnesota Guv, by the way, is rumored to be on John McCain's short list of VP candidates."

Oh shit..

~You Could Be Mine, But You're Way Out Of Line..~

~You Could Be Mine, But You're Way Out Of Line..~

Re: Minnesota Guv Who Signed Failed Video Game Law is a Bit of

You need to have another hyppocrate vote Dennis.

Re: Minnesota Guv Who Signed Failed Video Game Law is a Bit of

sure, just games that politicians plays always end up hurting someone!

Re: Minnesota Guv Who Signed Failed Video Game Law is a Bit of

Why I don´t believe him?

The cynical side of videogames (spanish only): http://thelostlevel.blogspot.com/ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com/

Re: Minnesota Guv Who Signed Failed Video Game Law is a Bit of

Would a Hockey Fights game be elevating games or denigrating hockey fights?

Re: Minnesota Guv Who Signed Failed Video Game Law is a Bit of

Hang on, Hockey Fights is better than Video Games?

Poll