Stopped at Courthouse Door, Jack Thompson Says He Will Sue U.S. Marshal

Embattled Miami attorney Jack Thompson filed yet another federal lawsuit against the Florida Bar yesterday.

The far more interesting development, however, is Thompson’s allegation that he was denied entry to the federal court building in Miami by U.S. Marshals. In an e-mail court filing this morning, Thompson says that he intends to file a federal civil rights action against Chief Judge Federico Moreno and U.S. Marshal Christina Pharo of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.

Here is Thompson’s version, which also includes additional information on the cautionary visit paid to his residence by a pair of U.S. Marshals last month (a story broken by GamePolitics):

The [US Marshal and the Chief Judge] have undertaken to surveil me and then harass me because of my whistle-blowing…  The two Deputy Marshals who came to my home on June 17… told me that they have been monitoring me for quite sometime because “we have been told you are at the end of your rope and might be a danger to the physical safety of others.”

…When I showed up at the federal courthouse yesterday… the harassment intensified.  When I presented my [ID] I was immediately (not after checking any list) informed that “You have been disbarred.”  I pointed out to the Deputy Marshal that that was news to me…  It is absolutely patently clear that these people were waiting for me.

The Deputy Marshall, Willie Bell, then proceeded to berate me when I asked why I was not allowed to enter a public place, the Clerk’s Office, after passing through all of the security scanners, etc.  He told me, “You just want an audience Mr. Thompson.”  I informed him, “No, I simply want to file a civil complaint in the Clerk’s Office.”

Mr. Bell, who apparently was instructed to harass me rather than just accompany me… continued to berate me personally, and he trapped me in the elevator to further harass me, which detention constituted a false imprisonment.

Additional details of the incident (from Thompson’s perspective) are to be found in a document filed with the U.S. District Court by Thompson yesterday:

When plaintiff showed up at the federal courthouse today… he was met by federal Deputy Marshals who… informed him that he could not enter the building alone because “Mr. Thompson, you have been disbarred.”

…Deputy Marshal (or whatever his title might be) Mr. Willie Bell told Thompson that he would be escorted to the clerk’s office for security reasons…

Mr. Bell then proceeded to berate Thompson… but in doing so Mr. Bell made it clear that his job was not just to escort Thompson… His job was to harass Thompson and make the filing of this complaint just about as difficult as it could be…

…the incredible rudeness and extra-legal assigned duties of the US Marshal’s Mr. Bell makes it clear that some communications of some kind have emanated downward from the Chief Judge to the US Marshal… which has “poisoned the well” of this entire federal district court. It is not paranoia to assert such a thing… somebody who is in charge of this federal district court wants to mess with Jack Thompson…

Thompson writes that he is seeking $10 million dollars for the new claim.

GP: Thompson is playing a dangerous hand. While he claims that a conspiracy against him is afoot, it now seems clear that his behavior has some officials concerned that he is a potential security risk. In this regard we note Thompson’s own version of a comment he claims was made by U.S. Marshals who paid him a visit last month: We have been told you are at the end of your rope and might be a danger to the physical safety of others.

Anonymous says:

Hmmm.  Review site name.  GamePolitics.  Two parts there.  Review masthead.  Slogan: "Where games and politics collide."

Given the considerable political involvement, voluntary and involuntary, that has been brought to bear in these matters re: Mr. Thompson and his war on games, I’d say articles about this matter are on topic for this board.

Unruly ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I love how you say "As far as the author having personal relationship with JT, that doesn’t make this his personal bully pulpit." when the author is none other than Dennis, the man that pays for and operates the site. Last time I checked, when you’re the one paying for a website and you’re the one that maintains it, you can do whatever the hell you want with it. Your logic is really flawed in that statement.

As far as liking articles about JT for the same reason that I would like watching an old lady break her hip by slipping on the ice, you’re sadly mistaken. I like articles about JT because JT is the biggest enemy of the video game industry. I use the word enemy because he’s not simply a critic, a critic is the PTC or a politician that says the industry could use reform despite being uneducated. Jack goes way beyond that to the point of personal insults and attacks against anyone who disagrees with him. Articles like this let us know what is happening to a HUGE person in the political spectrum of the gaming industry. Any enjoyment that I get from it is based on the fact that all of his attacks and lies are being used to his disadvantage for once and that karma is finally getting back at him.

Doctor Proctor says:

Considering that the trail for his disbarrment relied heavily on testimony and evidence from various video game cases Jack has tried, the continuing saga of his disbarment does fall into the arena of "GAMEpolitics".

Not that you bothered to look, since you obviously hate JT stories, but GP actually skipped over most of the testimony relating to non-videogame cases when he covered the bar trial.  In other words, he left out anything not directly relating to "games".

— "Life’s short and hard, like a body building elf." — The Bloodhound Gang

Dog Welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The logic is actually rather sound.  The Thompson stories on this site always generate the most comments (even when Jack doesn’t post) and I would assume the most click throughs.  This would indicate that there are people who want these stories.

And it’s nice to see you use perfect JT-isms in your post — get called out on your post so turn around and call everyone names.  Nice work.

Loudspeaker says:

That’s quite the low blow.  Would JT pull something like this?  Maybe.  However, I feel that’s even low for him.  He’s gone after those in front of him (the judges dealing with his disbarment as a reference).

Let us as upstanding citizens who are also gamers take the high road and stay away from such tactics.  The man is being disbarred.  Do we REALLY need to take this fight further?  I for one don’t believe so.  He’s losing his livelyhood and the badge of courage that is his law license.  That should be enough justice for anyone who calls themselves a gamer.

"Volume helps to get a point across but sharp teeth are better."

Loudspeaker says:

Actually Tony Selby is spot on with his logic.

Why did you even bother leaving a comment if you didn’t want to deal with more JT news?  Or is it you just didn’t see the "Contact Us" button.  Either way your logic fails "Anonymous".  BTW having that as your name defeats all of your arguments if you can’t even put a screen name to your comments.

I agree you aren’t defending JT, but you are using many JTisms.  You continue to post yet your argument is counter to your posting.

As many have already said…  If you don’t like it you can either:

A) Not read the article (You did have to click to get here)

B) Start your own blog

Honestly from what you’ve written here you obviously just like to complain and troll.  Find another bridge please.  We already have a professional troll who goes by JT.  It’s the one thing he does well.

"Volume helps to get a point across but sharp teeth are better."

Anonymous says:

Leave him open to what? There are plenty of unauthorized biographies. Yes Thompson is guaranteed to threaten with his creative reinterpretation of the law, but he does that all the time and has no leg to stand on and he knows it (I realize it’s easier to handwave it off when you don’t actually have to deal with it; I appreciate your dealing with this, GP). Plus he won’t even be a lawyer by next year so he’ll be even less of a threat.

Keddren says:

Jack Thompson has been at the forefront of the political assault on gaming culture since well before this site went live. With past ties to the Clinton camp, as well as past (now soured) relationships with groups such as NIMF, television appearances on 60 Minutes and Fox, he is absolutely relevant to the discussion on the political influence on the gaming world.  Stories like this, which call into question his credibility and competence (not to mention his sanity) in that regard should be reported and should not be quashed.

Anonymous says:

hehe  Anonymous says don’t be lippy.  :)

I mostly skip to the Jack Thompson stories.  Don’t know where else this is covered.  I’m certainly not tired of them.

Anonymous says:

Great logic. Saying that I’m tired of reading about him tells people that I want to read more about him.

As to everyone who thinks covering this guy is great, you enjoy it for the same reason you’d probably laugh at a little old lady slipping on ice and breaking her hip, you want to feel better about your pathetic lives by laughing at someone who is in even worse condition than you are.

As far as the author having personal relationship with JT, that doesn’t make this his personal bully pulpit. The site is called GAMEPolitics, and that article had nothing to do with games and everything to do with kicking dirt in the face of someone.

Lest any of you be confused (because some of you apparently have a reading and comprehension problems), I am not defending JT in any way. I’m just tired of seeing ANY coverage of him (whether it’s 1 out of 15 or 150).

I keep reading how this site has some of the most intelligent readers. Responses to my post would seem to indicate otherwise. Too bad this wasn’t a face-to-face conversation, I bet most of you wouldn’t be so lippy.

Dog Welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I read the letter in question at another site yesterday.  Frankly, I had thought it was posted as more of a joke at Thompson’s expense.  If that letter WAS actually sent, then I think that was overstepping the boundaries of good taste and decorum.  Dennis was right to delete it, as there’s no need to stoop to Jack’s level to defeat him.

Jack Wessels says:

I’m not exactly an old timer here, and I’ve only been following JT for maybe two years, but even I foresaw his self destruction. What does that say about him?

Right now I’m just waiting for his head to implode.

-"A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject." -Sir Winston Churchill

Dog Welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

1) Of the 15 stories currently on the front page, one is a Jack Thompson story.

2) This story is not giving him a pulpit.  If anything, it’s casting him in a rather negative light.

3) If you don’t like them, don’t read them.  And certainly don’t comment on them as it just increases traffic and indicates that more Jack Thompson stories are wanted.

beemoh says:

It really is scarily easy to draw a million parallels between Jack and every single school shooter he’s defended, isn’t it?

You could argue, though, that him doing so proves our big defence right- we continually link said shooters with being victims of bullying, in the case of Columbine, or at least feeling like the victim of persecution, like at Virginia Tech.

Given how Thompson feels gamers are some kind of hivemind, hell-bent on humiliating and berating him at every turn, that he has some sort of belief that we’re actively singling him out for abuse, it isn’t surprising that he’s starting to show similar behavioural patterns to the shooters…

NovaBlack. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

‘When I showed up at the federal courthouse yesterday… the harassment intensified.  ‘

Oh my god i LOVE JTs logic. HE turns up at the courthouse, and somehow they are harassing HIM!WTF?

lol that is awesome. Its like saying, ‘so i got a taxi and headed down to the i mean..criminals house, and when i tried to go into his house for absolutely no good reason, they harrassed me by saying go away! This is a CONTINUING CAMPAIGN of harrassment against me , as it happens every time i go down there and try to get in!’

nightwng2000 says:

John Bruce,

Many of us old timers here, and elsewhere, predicted that you would come to a point where your actions and statements would lead to your own personal destruction.  That you would not only be seen as some prattling Tin-Pot-Dictator-Wannabe, but would finally be seen as, not as a legal threat, but as a clear and present physical danger to yourself and others.

You didn’t listen.  We’re gamers, of little value.  We’re incapable of having interests or intelligence beyond games.  No right thinking person would listen to someone who includes video games among their hobbies or interests.  We’re children, knuckleheads, idiots… pixelantes.

We know, John Bruce.  It’s not your fault for the way you act and treat others.  It’s everyone else’s fault.  Everyone is out to get you.  Or so you claim.

People tried to talk to you rationally and because video games were a part of their overall lives, you treated them with scorn, bigotry, and disrespect.  Even those who, at least in the beginning, tried to treat you with respect, or at least rational discourse.

Your career is screaming its metaphorical death throws.  Many of your supporters are looking on you, no longer with respect or awe but with confusion, pity, and disgust.

And you only have yourself to blame, whether you want to realize it or not.

Throw all the childish temper tantrums you want.  Scream all the "Hot Sacrament" religious scriptures you can modify, interpret, and mutilate all you want.

At the rate you’re going, no one will NEED to censor you… because no one of any worth will be LISTENING to the type of individual you’re turning yourself into.

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

Anonymous says:

I somewhat agree, however who else is going to cover this? I feel that this sort of thing does need to be exposed, and this site is the only one that will/can do it.

Consider it evidence for the court of public opinion.

Incidently, GP, have you ever considered writing a biography? Hell, I’d do it myself, even just a compilation of the coverage on the guy would be really interesting, but that’s only the tip of the insanity iceberg. You’d probably be the best placed for it; you’ve been in the center of it all and have the connection.

Anonymous says:

Yes but he’s running out of recourses now. Soon he won’t have anything he can pull at but something crazy like I mentioned… I don’t blame the marshals for watching him closely, I would too.

HWhitsby says:

Comeuppance… what a great word.  Its one of those words you don’t hear enough.

I think i’ll use it some time tomorrow as my "word of the day" :)

Hwhitsby says:

Well, maybe they cant sue him, but I think I can sue him for the brain damage that he’s caused me by listening to these unbelievable stories.

Anonymous says:

You know… I don’t know if this has been mentioned here but I’m worried about Jack.  Not for his saftey or that of the gaming industry though.

He strikes me as a man starting to enter the ‘and go out with a bang!’ level of crazy. That being true he might try something rediculously stupid to try and make his point or to acheive his goal. All I’m saying is if I was Take Two right now, I think I’d be hiring some extra security just incase and I’d stay away from clocktowers someone could snipe from….

Aliasalpha says:

He kinda reminds me of those players of RTS’ who only use the tank rush because its the only thing they know how to do. They keep doing it no matter how often or overwhelmingly they’re defeated and always think "I’d have won if I only had a few more tanks!"

Matriculated says:

The reason why I love this story is because it shows how people in the "real" world see Jack now. For years gamers have known Jack’s true colours but he’s been able to cover them up in court and dealing with various people such as the media. Now though, it’s all fallen apart for him and the people in the Florida legal system see the EXACT same person us gamers do; a crazy old man trying to force his beliefs onto everyone else.

As for the issue of reporting on Jack when it’s not really related to video games; let Dennis have his moments. I think he’s earned it considering the amount of trouble Jack has caused him over the years. Plus a lot of people here are interested. I think the most appealing story in the world is a story about justice. We all love it when the villain in a movie finally gets their comeuppance and it’s the same here. For years it looked like Jack could go around doing and saying whatever the hell he wanted and he’d always be able to sliver his way out of any repercussions. Now he’s pushed it too far and is having to face the consequences :)

nighstalker160 says:

Courts don’t really sue people.  They find them in contempt.

I’ve watched Federal Court a few times as a law student…they don’t mess around there.  I don’t think Jack realizes who he’s screwing with at this point.

He makes himself enough of a pain to the Feds and they judge will hold him in contempt and THROW HIM IN JAIL.  And they can basically hold him for up to SIX WEEKS if he doesn’t shape up and apologize.

HWhitsby says:

This is a very pertinent case about video game censoring.

If this monster is taken down, it will send a message to the other would-be crusaders.  It tells them that censoring doesn’t work, and if you try, you’ll go insane.

Icehawk says:

Remind me again how many strikes does it take until the batter is out?  jackie you poor sod did Janet Reno teach you nothing, trying to sue R*, T2, GP etc.   Failed, failed and failed.   If you had even a modicum of sense you would stop now and try to concentrate on (or hire a Real lawyer to) defending against your immiment disbarment.  But no, no.  Seems rather obvious you are trying yet again to daddle, distract and delay.  You have to try to bulldoze your way around crashing into whatever gets in your way that claiming it was thier fault.

You sir are without honor.

To those that are complaining that there is yet another JBT story I would point out that this is 1 of 7 new stories posted in the same day so hardly the only thing of note.    We used to get alot more JBT stories even up to 3-4 months again, back when jackie would interact with and insult and derate us.  Alas The good ole days are behind us now. Oh well.

jadedcritic says:

Remember when he was complaining about having less rights then military prisoners at big G?  Maybe this explains it, maybe he thinks Guantanemo is a series of elevators.

nighstalker160 says:

Let’s all remember that Jack’s definitions of "berate" and "harrassment" are likely to be wildly different from the average reasonable persons (the standard usually used in these kinds of cases)

"Mr. Thompson, I respectfully disagree with your conclusions"

As for the idea that being in an elevator constitutes false imprisonnment.  Unless Jack is STILL in that elevator…I’m gonna say…no.

HWhitsby says:

Wouldn’t the court be able to conter-sue this guy?  They’d have much more ammo against him.  I’m sure that sending gay photos, and suing everyone that says "I dont like you" is good cause to take it to him.

And the best part is that if there really is a conspiracy against him in the court, they’d have no problem winning would they.

nighstalker160 says:

To be fair to Jack (as much as I don’t want to) he is technically correct in saying he has not yet been disbarred.  However, the Federal Courts are their own beast and if they’ve decided to not allow him to argue before them, it doesn’t matter if he hasn’t yet been disbarred by a state

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh yes, one story a week average. That’s TOTAL SATURATION.

Dude, the person who runs this site has personal history with Thompson spanning several years. Barely anyone else raises a finger to give him any coverage unless there’s a shooting or he somehow gets on TV for being the loudest monkey.

tl;dr version: You’re over-reacting. Don’t like what you see here, don’t read it.

Stunning Letter Two says:
    Re: Editorial: Jack Thompson a Curious Choice for Freedom Award

on the legal blog in broward county………….. [balance of this post deleted]

GP: Sorry, but… I much prefer to keep families out of these discussions (even though Jack sometimes drags his son into his antics).

Also, those are some very sensitive allegations. I don’t think this is the place…

Paul says:

Man, Jacko is circling the toilet so fast my head is spinning.

Jack, let it go man, you’re embaressing your self, and your family.

On a serious note, if i was Jacks ‘boss’ (i know, choice of words), i’d be SERIOUSLY worried about this guys mental health.

Anyone else think its ironic, that this guy that has been bitching about ‘pixilanties’ and the threat they pose to society, is now being barred by the fricking US Marshalls because they fear hes a threat to public safety.

Malygris says:

Insane or not, Thompson is a focal point in the weird and wonderful crossover world of videogaming and politics. I enjoy the coverage, not because I enjoy watching the sad breakdown of a pathetic little man (although I suppose on some level I do) but because as Thompson flails ever more wildly, his previous criticisms, even before he went completely nuts, become increasingly suspect. His self-inflicted destruction is good for gamers and the industry, and the more coverage it gets, the better.

Krono says:

In case you didn’t notice, he farted about Judge Tunis just yesterday, and GP ignored it.

Really, GP doesn’t report on Jack nearly as much as whiners like you claim. Particularly these days.

tony selby says:

people complain about the jack thompson articles, however, even in the ones which Jack doesn’t reply they are the highest commented on articles on the site, so obviously there are some people that care

if you don’t like reading the Jack articles, then skip them, posting your complaints shows interest in the story, which in turn means only that there will be more jack articles to come

jadedcritic says:

Oh my lord, he never stops being funny does he?  What a human freakshow – good god. Thank you Jack, you make me feel well-adjusted.

mogbert says:

Actually, they skip a lot of JT press releases. Kotaku decided to run one the other day that GP skipped. You see a lot of news about him here, but they still skip him most of the time.

And we all need a little insane humor from time to time.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot that we have a reply button now. Anywy, you can tell pretty easily who this is a reply to.

kurisu7885 (can't log in) says:

I would imagine so, but it doesn’t matter what the tqpes show, they’ll have been "edited."

I’ve seen store customers and shoplifters pull that card before.

Anonymous says:

This is a Federal building. Surely security cameras would be in every corridor and elevator ? Would there not be videotape at least of this alleged beratement ?

Anonymous says:

Is this a gaming site or a Jack Thompson site? Yes, I know his link to video games, but why does the gaming press insist on reporting every time this guy farts? Enough already, stop giving him a pulpit!

Dog Welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This seems more of a follow-up to the previous story, which is a story that broke out of his involvement in the video game cases.

Thomas Riordan ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Funny, when Jack Thompson acts like a dick to others it’s perfectly alright, but when people "supposedly" act like dicks towards him it’s worth $10 million. I seem to recall there being something about "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" in that book you like so much.

Anonymous says:

I understand this response to calls for censorship but not criticism.  He has a valid question about what this post has to do with the collision of politics and video games.

mogbert says:

This kinda reminds me of auto claims comedy scetch. "I ran into him while waving to the guy I ran into last week." Only it would be "I started this lawsuit while I was going to court to file another lawsuit."

Looks like he was trying to get in the court house and they had been informed no to let him in. The whole detained thing sound more like he was forcing his way in. He even repeatedly mentions they didn’t have to check a list. Yes they have been warned about you, why wouldn’t they have been with the way you have been acting?

I found this part funny: "if it happens again, a legal response will be made." And this law suit is what?

I’m curious what would be so bad he wouldn’t put it in the complaint, when we are talking about a guy who files gay porn in his filings.

"It is not paranoia to assert such a thing. It would be insane not to assert it." I’m the only sane personin here. It’s obvious everyone else is out to get me!

"…and he trapped me in the elevator to further harass me, which detention constituted a false imprisonment."  What actually happened here? How long were you "trapped"? Did you hit the wrong floor and have to wait for the elevator to get back to you floor? Or was the elevator locked, with you trapped in it for 5 hours and you had to climb out the top, Jack Baurer style climbing up the cables to your freedom? Why do I feel it is more of the former then the latter? Oh, maybe because JT has constantly lied and used gross exageration in all of his statements. He puts P.T. Barnum to shame.

Dog Welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Then….don’t read them!

Plenty of other non-Thompson stories on the front page.  Easy enough to scroll past this one.

Zee says:

It’s mostly because all this stems from his attempts to profit from things by blaming video games and his long ‘career’ as gaming critic. Besides that, it’s something that’s of particular interest to the GP site and community due to it’s long, long history with him.

Ashla ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I suppose my biggest question is: is thompson currently disbarred for legal purpose before the time period for disbarrment is determined?

If he  has bar aproval at present then I could see why his frustration has merit. If not then he should have contacted a lawyer to go through the procedings of a lawsuit on his behalf.

black manta says:

At this point, Thompson is starting to sound like the Weird Al Yankovic song "I’ll Sue Ya."

SUE!  SUE!  Yeah, I’m gonna SUE!

SUE!  SUE!  Yeah, I’m gonna SUE YA!!!

I found the latest Tunis complaint to be a bit more interesting, however.  Apparently the whole Oath of Office accusation didn’t stick, so now he’s trying to claim Tunis found him guilty and then not guilty on the same count (specifically, "Making statements that the lawyer knows to be false or with reckless disregard as to the truth or falsity concerning the qualifications or integrity of a judge.")  However, as as pointed out in the forums, this count was filed in two separate complaints: one by Blank Rome and the other by Judge Moore himself.  Since Tunis already found Thompson guilty in Moore’s filing, there was no reason to find him guilty for the exact same thing in Blank Rome’s filing.  Hence the "not guilty" verdict in the latter (Again, as pointed out in the forums, to do so would fall into the realm of "double jeopardy.")

It’s a typical Thompson tactic: make a confident-sounding BS statement, gambling on that no one will bother to fact-check it.  This might work on the media or the average person, as more often then not they won’t or can’t be bothered to wade through the details to verify if what he is saying is true.  But Thompson forgets he is dealing with other lawyers here, and they have a better grasp of the law than he does.

Also Thompson reiterates Judge Tunis’ behavior at the end of the 2007 trial, referring to her as a "raving wild woman".  A charge that Norm Kent, who was present and whose word I will take over Thompson’s any day, says did not happen.  If Thompson had been canny like he used to be in the old days and just made his charge about Tunis’ rulings and left it at that, he might have stood a chance and gotten away with it.  But no, he didn’t leave it at that.  And chances are his outrageous statements about her will be remembered more than his statements about her rulings.

So Jack, I ask again, if you say it won’t be such a big deal if you lost your license as you will continue your "crusade" anyway, then why are you fighting so hard and trying every underhanded trick you can think of to keep it?

Black Manta, Who May Not be an Attorney, but Understands the Law Better Than Jack Does

potatojones83 says:

You know, if some guy sent me a picture of a bombed out building and said my workplace would look like that…figuratively speaking, and then said his "mistake" was to NOT kill 3,000 people, well guess what? I’d want some extra security and someone keeping a tight watch on him too. I don’t blame these guys at all for doing this and quite frankly I’m surprised they weren’t harsher on him.

Xavier says:

I just love how every U.S marshall is telling him of the evil plan that they are out to get him. "Yes we were told to harrass you" REALY??? Common Jack the first rule of the shadow government is to not tell anyone about it. And some how I doubt the door man at the court house will need to check a list to know Jack’s been disbarred. I’m sure he and every other person knows who Jack is and the only part of the story the is missing is that Mr. Bell was still wearing his party hat when he spoke to Jack.

Zee says:

I’m curious, if he’s filing suit, isn’t he technically violating the ruling that he can’t file things with the florida courts if not signed by someone else?

Still, I can imagine his frustration, he hasn’t officially been disbarred yet, iirc, it’s only been advised so far, with the definate ruling to follow (feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken). Besides that apparently his name is immediately recognised as belonging to someone they’d rather not see. And this time by ‘actual human beings’ rather than ‘<insert Thompson’s slurs about gamers here>’. Worse than that, they’re a form of enforcement officer, which are supposed to be for him to sic on others, not to be used against him.

Other than that, 1 thing here really does shock me: he’s actually following through on his threats to sue someone. I mean, in the past few years, how many people here have had that very claim thrown at them? Or people anywhere, for that matter. Hundreds?

Joe ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Really, what does this have to do with video games or anything else. I’m just really tired of reading the Misadventures of Jack Thompson

Doctor Proctor says:

Good God, you’re right!!!  What was GP thinking?  ONE Jack Thompson story amongst the FIFTEEN current front page stories?  And then having the gall to, as of this post, have two stories higher up on the page???  It’s a veritable Thompson fest!?!?!?!?!  </sarcasm>

Seriously though…  It’s 1 out of 15.  You can do math right?  That’s a very small percentage.  GP has been doing a LOT more stories on things like the ECA and E3 lately, but I don’t see anyone decrying them and saying that’s all he reports on.  If you don’t like JT stories, don’t read them.  Read about Fallout 3 being banned in Australia, or the Feds and their mod chip case.  There’s plenty of other stuff on the site.

— "Life’s short and hard, like a body building elf." — The Bloodhound Gang

kurisu7885 (can't log in) says:

Hmm, so, sending a picture of a bombed out building and sayign their office will look like that isn’t a threat so long as figurativly is added? Interesting. Seriously though, I can see them saying that to him after he pulled that stunt

Dedre ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wow, about a 1/3 of the way through the comments I threw my hands up and said "Enough!!!!"

"Funniest Line: Since Mr. Bell apparently had to share an elevator with Thompson while escorting him to the 8th floor, Thompson claims this is "false imprisonment.""

Yea I noticed that too as I read the story, pretty freaking hilarious; though overall given my compuncture about lawyers, pretty spot on to what I would expect (no offense! It’s just that laywers seems to be able to turn anything into a court-recognizable offense!)

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The Fed’s actually took his ravings about killing 3000 people, and Judge Tunis being the first to know, with a certain air of serriousness. He published a terroristic threat to a judge. The judges findings to permanently disbarr him came out today. Obviously all Courthouse security both State and Federal in the general area was briefed to treat him extra special today.

ConstantNeophyte says:

Heh, irony you are a callous, heartless bitch.

-ConstantNeophyte: always the newb, ALWAYS.

Lou ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

People let’s focus on what he has done in the past to deserve this. A federal building is not like a county or state building and you can be escorted out of a federal building if you are not a welcomed (or suspicious) individual. And since Jack’s record with the feds is not exactly a squeaky clean one I don’t see anything wrong with the Marshal’s actions.

Corbin says:

I think it’s ironic that Jack Thompson, of all people, is complaining about being harrassed. Not only is simple harrassment, it’s a nefarious plot that constitutes his undoing. In classic Jack Thompson form, his actions, words, and beliefs are characterized by complete immoderation and lack of thougt.

Is it not the case that he is being disbarred for his own forays into the world of professional harrassment? As always, apparently hypocrisy and childish arrogance go unnoticed by Jack Thompson, though thankfully not the world or our legal system.

Black Dragon ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The best bit of irony out of this is, if it’s true, this constitutes the closest thing to a legitimate lawsuit Thompson’s had in years. It’s definitely not right for US Marshals to try and brush off somebody trying to access a public building.

Of course, at this point, who’s going to listen to him? After lashing out at so many people and government officials just for doing their jobs and filing so many ridiculous documents, this likely looks like another wild charge fired off to make Jack look like the victim being persecuted by the cruel, manipulative conspiracy of VG companies, the government, and webcomic artists.

I often wonder how he gets around after having shot himself in the foot so many times.

Tyler Lait says:

Also, i have to get this off my chest. ahem…

thank you, god that felt good, i hope i didnt break any posting rules, i just hope that that shit for brains jack reads my comment

Anonymous says:

maybe this plan of violence has to do with his GTA 4 evidence photo. We know he has a copy of the game and he calls it evidence. the and the marshalls seem to think he may turn violent. He may be already planning a defense for a crime he intends to commit. a defense that would not hold up of course.

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

*sits back, sips his Mountain Dew, and watches the fireworks celebrating the end of Jack Thompson*

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So, does this mean the entire US government is now part of the whole Anti-Jack conspiracy?  Ladies and gentlemen, I belive we are seeing a new Francis Dec in the making.

Conejo says:

"at the end of his rope" sounds about right.  his filings are sounding more and more like my schizophrenic aunt’s government conspiracies.

at this point, i honestly fear for the safety of his wife and child.

Here are we — and yonder yawns the universe.

Sai says:

Karma karma karma. After decades of harassing others (he was doing it long before this video game crusade) he’s had this a long time coming. Too bad his own harassment is completely in his own crazy head.

Jack Wessels says:

The funny thing is that he threatened to sue Dennis for a user posting a comment that said JT paid off someone regarding the recent GTA copycats. Oh irony, I love thee so.

Jabrwock says:

I asked why I was not allowed to enter a public place…

Caught in his own lie. No surprise there. If the deputy’s job was to prevent you from "enter[ing] a public place", and to "unlawfully imprison" you in the elevator, why admit that it was clear his job was to escort you on your way to the Clerk’s office?

Just because it’s a public place doesn’t mean security can’t follow you around if they consider you an unstable mental nutjob liable to wig out on the poor clerk…

I notice in the "official" complaint, he quietly amends it to "not allowed to enter alone", as if that’s some right (which it isn’t).

— If your wiimote goes snicker-snack, check your wrist-strap…

ApokalypseNow says:

Quotes from the whole court filing (which was deleted here, as per GP policy, a few minutes ago)

"It will be one in which the judge cannot be bribed, as was Dava Tunis. " -Ooh, now he’s committing libel by saying that Dava Tunis was bribed!

"You had better pray (to whom, Satan?)"  -and here, suggesting that someone is a Satanist…

"to protect the jurors’ children." -THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

As usual, Jacko’s filings are 1% substance (though not necessarily useful substance), 5% self-promoting fluff, and 94% threats.

Jeremy ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You know the Florida Bar should counter sue on the basis of frivilous law suits being filled.

Also willingly entering an elevator and then having an officer of the law come in with you is not false imprisonment, as a sidenote I wonder if wacky here knows that an officer of the law can detaine you for no damn good reason at all for 24 hours, granted you can complain about it but not a damn thing is going to be done nor are you going to get 10 million dollars (though I am curious what he is claiming about that situation is worth 10 million cause I’m sure its not emotional damage)

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Really, Jack? An elevator? False imprisonment? In an ELEVATOR? And you say you’re NOT being paranoid?

I know ‘iron bars do not a prison make,’ but you don’t need to stretch the truth THAT much. Oh, i forgot, that’s just par for the course for you.

Anonymous says:

Better get used to the amount of space you had in that elevator…That’s the exact size of the room you’re going to be in when they lock you away in the looney bin forever….

At least you’ll have a jacket that allows you to hug yourself all day long…

Anonymous says:

LOL, ain’t that the truth, and Jack is only fooling himself if he thinks his "simple" complaint isn’t a pathetic grab for even more attention!

Again LOL, and just how exactly did he trap you in an elevator?  Would that be by following someone who was denied entry or possibly given such with conditions like "Fine, but I’m going to have to escort you then."?  Oh wait, you just confirmed the obvious in your next rant!

And even if he was silent the whole time, why do I get the feeling that above quote would still be the same….

What a load of BS, he made it clear his job was to harass?  Ignoring the conspiracy BS and rudeness irony, it is more like "BAWWWWWWWWWW they are picking on me, and won’t let me disrupt things & make a scene!"

Dennis is right, that is the funniest, as well as absurd, line in there.  And you have to question how stable someone who preemptively gets a sanity check, by someone they know in order to get out of having one, is…

Meggie ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The behavior of the guard does seem odd, why would he claim he was "disbarred" instead of giving a more detailed reason for needing a security escort? Then again, it might very well be that he did, considering the news comes from Jack’s selective reasoning.

When you go around stepping on people’s toes for publicity, demonizing people for your own benefit, and responding to insults with legal action,  the backlash that ensues isn’t a conspiracy, it’s understandable. When you make a career out of being a jerk, you get treated like one.

StealthMaster86 says:

I have never heard of someone that digs there own grave so fast. And it’s going deeper than the legal hight of six feet. He’s going about 20 feet and dropping fast.

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Gee? You mean they Marshalls might not let him into the courthouse after he hands out what can easily be construed to be a written terroristic threat against a judge?

Tristram says:

Evben if he was harrassed, it might be just one guy who doesn’t like him and not orders from above.  Maybe Belle plays GTA?  Also, berating is an odd term to you.  To berate is to express criticism, not necessarily to just shout insults.

chadachada ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

If he was indeed harrassed like that…then there is definatly a problem, no matter who *sigh* it is. However, there’s a fair chance that Thompson severly stretched the story or outright lied.

Mithras says:

No, he did -not- get disbarred for 10 years.

There was a hearing, and it was recommended that he be disbarred for 10 years (enhanced disbarrment).

Mr. Thompson will not be disbarred until September, at the earliest, and that’s if the Florida Supreme Court agrees with the conclusions by Judge Tunis and the recommendations by the Florida Bar.

Adam ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Why does it seem like everytime more than one person has this guy backed into a corner due to his own radical behavior he thinks it’s always gotta be a conspiricy against him?

I love how he says that being disbarred is news to him. Did he not just recently go through a trial for misconduct and get disbarred for 10 years?  I know the final ruling is in September and all, but come on, give up the act Jack. No one’s buying into your fake sob stories about a conspiricy and no one feels bad for you. You’re not a victim of anything and you’re not going to make anyone think you are by playing these silly games….GROW UP JACK!!!

Sukasa ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I would consider being stuck in an elevator as cruel and unusual punishment for me and not Jack.  Sounds like Jack, seeing his cash crop of being a crappy lawyer coming to end is trying to go the American way of using a law suit to get money now.

catboy_j says:

Umm didn’t last time he say he didn’t blame the marshals they were just doing their job? Is he now accusing those two who visited him before, seeing as how he is roping them into this grand conspiracy nya?

GryphonOsiris says:

Hmmmm… anyone else get a mental image about Jack’s comment of being at the "end of his rope"? But knowing his ability for prophecy, it’ll never happen.

Dog Welder ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I wish I could get $10 million every time somebody is rude to me.  I’d be a billionaire just from the two years I lived in New Jersey.

In all seriousness, it appears that Judge Moreno believes Thompson is a safety threat.  I guess all that talk about bombed out buildings, killing 3000 people (figuratively, or not), and his clearly declining mental stability are a concern.

And does anyone want a bet that Thompson was acting the part of a total asshat when he was stopped by security?  He’s lucky he wasn’t tasered.

NovaBlack. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

FINAL NOTE (promise! – i cant login till i get my details back so i cant edit grr)

who are they going to believe.. a deputy marshal, or a man who’s character has been proved in court to be one who will quite happily ‘knowingly make false statement with no other intention other than to decieve or harass’…

hmm.. place your bets now.. i know who my money is on.

NovaBlack. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

oh and additionally…

Surely the fact that thompson mentioned that he himself thought he shoud ‘kill people to make his point’, means that him being denied entry on security grounds would be completely justified!

side note:… 10.. million dollars… wtf? for WHAT?

Anonymous says:

Thompson suing someone would indeed be new. He typically just threatens people with a lawsuit and hope people who don’t know better will cave in out of fear or because it’s simply easier. But when that doesn’t work, he’s got nothing (well, then threatening to sue the next person up the ladder, so on and so forth)

To my knowledge he never actually followed through with any of his threats except for the Florida Bar. The closest thing was when he infamously tried to add THE INTERNET as a defendant to that, an attempt that was shot down within days.

Rottenmeatpuppet says:

Jack Thompson sueing someone?  Wow thats something that rarely ever happens .  This is coming from someone who took a light touch on the arm from Janet Reno and turned it into assault.  I didn’t realize that you can sue someone for being rude or uncivil.  Knowing Thompson he probably was pushing the US Marshall’s buttons to get some sort of reaction out of him and showing utter disrespect.  I don’t blame Mr. Willie Bell for not allowing JT inside because you never really know his true motives and there is always some hidden agenda behind his actions.

Basically he is a snake in the grass and Mr. Bell was playing it safe so he did not get bitten.  So it is a US Marshall’s word against a bitter about to be disbarred ex-attourney’s word in a lawsuit for a retarded amount of money.  I think he is backed into a corner and now he is all bark and no bite.  Mr. Thompson… it is time to stay down for the 10 count or throw in the towel.  There is absolutely nothing that can save your career now.

GryphonOsiris says:

Well, he left before the verdict was read. His version of clamping down his ears and going LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-I-CAN’T-HEAR-YOU.

Face777 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Can anyone see the irony in  Whacko Jacko, of all people, suing someone for being rude and uncivil?

What an ars*hole.

Aliasalpha says:

Hehe I wonder if he was doing the Doctor Evil little finger gesture when he stated the amount he was seeking.

One thing I am forced to wonder, how does jack have time for whistleblowing when he’s constantly blowing his own trumpet?

Monolith says:

common rule to not let fired employees back on premises, prevents them from shooting up the place.

*is being funny*

—Oh sure, its fine when a monkey does it. But when I throw barrels at an Italian plumber, they call it a hate crime! – Stephen Colbert