German Burger King Ad Campaign Has GTA-like Theme

The Marblehead Blog reports on a German ad campaign which uses edgy, Grand Theft Auto-like themes to promote Burger King.

The campaign’s "Veg City" theme is centered around the idea of fresh ingredients and giving customers choices in ordering from Burger King’s menu.

From the article:

The first thing to remember is this would never work in America. While GTA: Vice City is still the best selling PS2 game of all time, it came with its share of backlash… However, the German culture is quite different than ours and one has to keep in mind the intended audience when evaluating a campaign…

The [Veg City] website opens with a Vegas city style sign and fades into a true GTA-style map. Like most interactive ad sites, there are downloads, games, and a backstory.  Each part of Veg City has it’s own unique twist on the freshness and choice themes…

In the video, the player is portrayed as taking out an old (i.e., not fresh) onion…

oto kirlama says:

Gallagher can araç kiralama say all he wants, but I strongly rent a car believe it’s due to his crappy leadership and E3 being a joke. ESA’s Board of Directors need to find a way to get out rent a car of this horrid contract with this Bush cronie before there’s no one left on the Board.

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing ttnet vitamin or little and need to start saving costs.

Jay Ramirez says:

I actually thought the art of the tray liners and Veg City website were more like GTA than the YouTube video. The comic book style of the art on the cover of GTA and city scenes jammed packed with small details what what I remembered most about driving around Vice City.  Vice City, Veg City

MDR ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I was thinking the cutscene before the second campaign mission for Act of War: Direct Action, with all the security and crouds around.  Until the crosshairs came in.  Then it got me to thinking Silent Scope 😛

Anonymous says:

i was thinking the same thing, nowadays people see a combination of human-ish figures, guns, and vehicles of some sort and all of a sudden "oh lord its GTA"…  reminded me more of hitman than gta

Godkarmachine says:

I swear this does look more like an episode of Veggietales gone wrong than GTA.

– The most frightening thing a person can ever hear: "I’m from the government, and I’m here to help"

Smarty Pants (I"m back!) says:

Oh.My.Gosh. For one thing, these ads are messed up. And also, what does that have to do with BK besides their ingredients? Ah, Burger King, spreading crappy ads to all ages. For the adults, "Veg City", and for the kids, Pokemon ads featuring the stupidest man on the face of the earth.

King of Fiji ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wouldn’t that be funny though if someone did make a game like that?

"Grand Theft Veggietales"

Instead of stealing cars you go around stealing all the salad bowls in Veg City while running from the PETA cops.  xD

8. 0 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

most disturbing burger ad ….. ever

better not show this to any little tikes. They may never look at VeggieTales the same way again,lol

Anonymous says:

Actually I’m kinda surprised that this was allowed. Germany is a pretty uptight country. I can understand what they were going for but I think they could have gone about it better.