Dallas Morning New Reports on Texas Guv’s Upcoming E3 Keynote

Reporter Victor Godinez writes about tomorrow’s E3 keynote speech in the Dallas Morning News.

As GamePolitics has reported previously, Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) will deliver the Expo’s keynote. Having a political figure speak at E3 is a first for the show. Godinez quotes Perry spokeswoman Krista Piferrer on Perry’s E3 appearance:

Texas is one of the top states in the nation for the gaming industry. We want to build this industry in the Lone Star State… I think there are a few other states who have [a Texas-like tax] incentive program [for game developers], but it’s not very far and wide.

As we’ve noted before, however, Texas’ game developer tax breaks are fraught with content restrictions, unlike those in other states with such incentives.

Godinez notes that more than 2,000 people work in the game biz in Texas, adding over $340 million to the state’s economy.

oto kirlama says:

I’m all for freedom of ttnet vitamin speech and allowing rent a car game makers to put whatever they want in games, but there’s one thing about this app that has me scratching my head.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but from araç kiralama the previous article araba kiralama on this I gathered that players can use Google maps in-game to find the other (real-life?) dealers in their area.  If this is the case, has travesti anyone considered what’s stopping someone from using this app to actually move drugs between hands for reals?

But majority araba kiralama of their outrage araç kiralama stems from what it could DO TO children, not the content itself.  Talk to one of these people and you’ll find they don’t think any books kiralık araba should be banned from children.  Mention American Psycho and they talk about kiralık araç the redeeming value of using imagination to construct a story.  Reading, no matter what the content, is largely viewed as a consequenceless activity for people of any age.  The reason why I mention American Psycho is because of the content itself.  Gaming never has and likely never will have any scenes where someone has sex with a severed head.  Not gonna happen.  Yet despite this, they’ll fight tooth and nail to protect their children from two boys kissing in Bully but whatever they read is harmless… yeah.

The entire arguement is kiralık oto based upon a social normality inflicted by luddites who can’t figure out the controls for Halo so it’s frightening and terrifying and obviously the cause of youth violence on the rise even though, in reality, it’s in decline (which is actually a HUGE suprise given minibüs kiralama the economies status).  In  a perfect world, we would have parents that actually parent.  The idea of sales restrictions on media on oto kiralama any form to accomidate parental unwillingness to get involved with their child’s life is the real problem to me.  Here I am, 32 years old, and being held up at a self-scan rent a car needing to show ID before I can buy a $10 M rated game all because Soccer Momthra can’t be bothered to look at the crap Billy Genericallystupidson does in his free time.  It’s too hard for her, so I have to suffer?

Anonymous says:

And yet, after his stepping up from the role of Lt. Governor, he has been re-elected twice to the position of Governor … including the most recent election where he ran against Kinky Friedman, a popular independent, and a popular hispanic Democrat.

I think the content issues are pretty much a non-issue here in Texas.  As we are fond of noting, Mature games are not the biggest sellers in the market.  Not having a state income tax is a sweet deal here. Additional tax incentives that bring more developers to Texas is icing on that cake.

Dark Sovereign says:

Eh. It’s not so bad. Nobody is being censored. You don’t get punished for having "offensive" content, you  just don’t get the tax break. The whole effect would probably be that more T and E game-making companies will move to Texas. Perry isn’t really all that popular here though. I still don’t understand what they were thinking when they signed him on.

Truec says:

It probably wouldn’t be so bad.  Jack is a raving lunatic in writing, but I’ve heard that, outside of the courtroom at least, he’s at least moderately more tolearble in person.

Azhrarn says:

While it would be fun to see, I’m also quite sure that the broadcast of JTs Keynote would quickly escalate to a rating of R or AO considering how much the man froths at the mouth with the thought of all those gamers out there.

Catch 33 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Gov. Perry: "Hey there game industry! How about some tax incentives?"

Industry: "Sounds good to us."

Gov. Perry: "Excellent! But you’ll only get them if you don’t make any games I don’t like. Or that the voting public doesn’t like. Or that the lobbyists I bend over for don’t like. Okay? I want your added revenue, but I also can’t look like I’m friendly to you guys."

This is not a man who should be allowed anywhere near E3.

Vinzent ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Soooooo…. Which route do you think the guv will take? Will he…

a) Pander to the videogame audience in a way that suggests his legislation didn’t happen, it’s all a misunderstanding, and really…you guys are my best buds evar?

b) Take this opportunity in the lion’s den to make a splash in the news networks by chastizing the moral corruption in video games with a good ole "fire and brimstone" sermon?

I’m really hoping for the latter. Maybe that will shake up the lapdogs at the ESA.

mlucky says:

So we have a guy speaking at E3 who signed a bill that gives tax incentives to game developers as long as they make content that the gov. feels is right? will jack thompson speak at the next E3 once his disbarment is complete? this is stupid. Gallagher needs to go.