Metal Gear Solid Tech Advisor Busted By Feds for Shipping Weapons Parts

The Tacoma News-Tribune reports that a former technical advisor on the original Metal Gear Solid has been charged by federal officials with attempting to ship sophisticated holographic night vision gunsights to Japan.

Capt. Tomoaki Iishiba left Japan in 1993 to join the U.S. Army. Iishiba served in Afghanistan and wrote A Japanese Lieutenant from the 82nd Airborne, a Japanese language book about his military experience.

More recently he has been stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington as an intelligence officer. From the report:

In a two-paragraph charging document filed in U.S. District Court in Seattle, prosecutors wrote that Tomoaki Iishiba bought 60 of the EoTech 553… then mailed them to coconspirators in Japan without obtaining an export license. The company’s Web site lists the sights at $639 apiece…

He faces one count of conspiracy to smuggle goods from the United States and is scheduled to enter a guilty plea at the end of the month, Assistant U.S. Attorney Todd Greenberg said…

Iishiba has also endorsed a line of knives.

Anonymous says:

What a joke.

These sights were likely going to be delivered to some hardcore airsofters, but he caught the attention of some self-important bureaucrat that decided to play rough. I imagine serious airsoft shooters in Japan would pay top dollar for actual Eotechs that American shooters take for granted here. The 553 is a very good optical sight.

I suspect the guilty plea was just to make this whole thing go away, it’ll likely make it tough to renew his security clearance, but I don’t think that he’ll neccesarily lose his military job over it. He certainly won’t be executed! :)

Plus, he sent them to Japan. It’s not like he sent them to Iran.

The funny thing is, many made-in-Japan airsoft parts are used on live firearms here in the US: scope mounts, rail accessories, etc. The Japanese are so obsessed with real firearms that the external tolerances are identical to live weapons, so their accessories work just fine.

They’re cheaper than the "real deal" and they work just as well, even if they aren’t made to the same mil-spec materials.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I was thinking the same thing. I mean seriously, someone was talking about being an "Americunt" and wants to be a part of the next 9/11. *sigh* What has the internet come to?

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yep, and technically, his "speech" would be inciting a riot so-to-speak….so it’s kinda not even free speech at that point…

Plus, this is a private site. Sure, technically it’s freedom of speech on here, but Dennis can block anyone he wants, for any or no reason.

And if you really want to get technical, he said he WANTS TO BE A TERRORIST. I hope the FBI shows up at his doorstep for this, honestly. It’s disgusting. How would any German visitors out there feel about someone from Germany degrading Nazi Germany or something to that extent?

Jdun says:

It doesn’t matter if it is right or wrong. You can do good and still go to jail. That’s how things work.

He was caught exporting 60 Eotechs to a Japanese businessman. That’s a lot. If he shipped one, no one would have cared. That’s what probably got him in trouble.

What he should have done was set up an incorporated business and applied for export instead of trying to smuggle the Eotech out of the state after being denied.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So the guy really didn’t do anything wrong? What he did was illegal, yeah, but all he did was buy some scopes and ship them out to Japan without the right licensing? Big freaking whoop! *sigh*

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

GP, can we PLEASE give his IP the banhammer for that? I mean, a little dissing of one country or another is fine once in awhile, but that was WAY over the line. I’m sure many people that visit this site know of someone that has died during 9/11, that was way too far….

Jdun says:

There are some very stupid US exports laws out there. The majority of Eotech that military personnel use are own privately. I’m not sure if L3 export Eotech to Japan but I figure there is a lot of Airsoft kiddies in Japan that wants the original product and not copies.

Yakuza Arsenal got two handguns? Hahaha.

have over 30 firearms in my collection and that is considered small by standard.

jdun says:

What’s bad about shipping Eotech to Japan? It’s not like Eotech is special. Hell L3 got their lens from Japanese’s optic manufactures. The technology that Eotech used is widely available and IMO not good optics. They brand it well tho.

Jdun says:

All optics is illegal to ship outside of the USA. This includes cheap $10 airsoft scopes. Anyone can buy Eotech in the USA. It isn’t illegal to own one. You just can’t ship it to another country. Unfortunately most people don’t know these kind of laws. I’m not sure if Eotech are sold in Japan but L3 has exported to a lot of countries around the world.

With that said, lots of parents have shipped Eotech to their kids in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. and they haven’t been busted. The US military mostly used ACOG and Aimpoint.  Eotech optics has a lot of short coming like battery life and durability issues. Hence they lost another huge military contract to Aimpoint. Most Eotech in the military are privately owned.

Anonymous says:

I can’t WAIT for the next Sept 11. maybe I’ll be a part of it. I’m an americunt BTW. fuck america and fuck blindly patriotic little shits such as yourself.

Anonymous says:

…You know this sounds largely like a case of "whoops?" to me. Granted the guy’s in the military but I wouldn’t have thought shipping a set of sights, no matter how expensive or high tech, would be illegal. I mean if it was a scope or something or a specialty barrel I could possibly see it…but some snazzy gun sights? Common this could have entirely been "hey dude, I heard about these cool new sights I could use to wow the guys at the range, but I can’t make it to america… can I send you the dough and you can ship em to me?"

Anonymous says:

Charging him is retarded. I’m 99% sure he sold those EOTech sights to US Army soldiers stationed at military bases in Japan. Considering I’ve seen videos of a Yakuza "Arsenal" which was two handguns, one with a suppressor, I don’t think there’s too many people running around in Japan with M4s who aren’t in the military.

-Entertainment isn’t the reason the world sucks. It’s the reason we know the world sucks. For information on games and psychology, look up: Jonathan Freedman(2002)Block & Crain(2007)Grand Theft Childhood, by Harvard researchers Larry Kutner&Cheryl Olson

Austin_Lewis says:

He got caugh alright.  That’s the end of his career, his pension, and his ability to ever make more than  10 dollars an hour.

All to illegally smuggle Eotech sights.

Was it worth it you worm?

SYSS Mouse ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I can see, for Metal Gear Solid 5, will be aobut…

some military advisor of a software studio was involved in a arms smuggling ring…

Tyler Baumbarger says:

Even if it was to US Soldiers, thats pretty much just as bad. The japanese aren’t exactly happy that they have a military presence in their country.

US Army vet ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Terrible job you mean. None of those moves are real (and that comes from several years US Army Infantry and RSTA). Nobody uses a knife and a pistol together like that. Nobody moves like that. They did a horrible horrible job in the MGS series, it’s nothing even close to what the real military is like.

Buzz off fanboy.

Anonymous says:

Actually Japanese military budget is rank between 2-5 at any given year. However the difference between first (USA over $500 billions) and second (around $50 billions) is huge. With that said 90% of Japanese military technology is bought from the USA.

Anonymous says:

A nation that is completely reliant on others for military protection, and who doesn’t allow its citizens to carry guns, is going to have a more sophisticated optical scope than the strongest military in the world. Are you serious?

Thomas ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My point was the stupidity of the whole situation… the US has the most absurd export laws, ones that most people have no idea about. Did you know, for example, that even to send a simple authenticator code as far as Canada, Blizzard Entertainment is going to need to go through an absurdly expensive and complicated legal process because it is classed as "Cryptographic Technology".. like a night vision scope or a authenticator keychain is terribly dangerous to the US.

These laws are about money, control and paranoia.. sweeping laws, wide ranging, laws that negatively effect far more people than they protect.

Anonymous says:

Yes he was SUCH a bad person for shipping optical scopes. This is about MONEY, nothing else. The US doesn’t want their technology getting into Japanese hands. Which is hilarious since I’m sure they have something twice as good.

Xveers says:

Additionally, their encryption laws are laughable. Take PGP for example. Run of the mill encryption. If I print out the source as a book, I can export it no problem. But if I upload the software across the US border, it’s a felony.

Smooth, eh?

catboy_j says:

This seems like another one of those things that isn’t really connected to the video game industry except by ludacris chance. Like the case of the death by controller. I mean I don’t feel bad for the guy even. That’s what happens when you’re stupid. Or at least when you behave that way nya.

DoggySpew ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah, I also got scared about that. Mori has done excellent on MGS2 to 4. CQC ? Those are his moves.

Man, would I like to learn that.

Kajex says:

You know, the law of our nation only extends to OUR nation. And I think you’re missing the fact that the "something" that he "bought" was that which requires a specific license.

The fact that he attempted to ship the items WITHOUT a license merits enough reasonable cause to believe he’s up to something not-so-good.  We’re not talking about an imported mug from Texas, either, we’re talking about some sophisticated weapons technology, here.

Thomas ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So he bought something with his own money, that he was legally allowed to buy, and sent it to people in japan.. and is now arrested?

Rauggo says:

And…. wait for it… FAIL. Sigh, i’d give him the benefit of the doubt, that he sold it and didn’t mean to do it illegally, but life isn’t that simple. Or maybe the truth is simpler, and that he broke the law and is gonna go to jail and be dishonorably discharged.