Famed "Last Lecture" Gaming Prof Passes Away

July 28, 2008 -

Last October GamePolitics reported on Randy Pausch, the Carnegie-Mellon University professor whose "last lecture" touched millions of people and gained international fame.

Pausch, suffering from pancreatic cancer, died on Friday at the age of 47. He told USA Today earlier this year that his last lecture was really for his kids

I knew what I was doing that day," he wrote in the introduction of his best-selling book, also titled The Last Lecture. "Under the ruse of giving an academic lecture, I was trying to put myself in a bottle that would one day wash up on the beach for my children."

Comments

Re: Famed "Last Lecture" Gaming Prof Passes Away

Wow.... words do no justice to that man.

Truly one of the most inspirational people I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. The world would be a much better place if everyone would take even one bit of information away from his speech.

I just can't get over how amazing Randy was. Even when faced with the horrible knowledge of when he was going to die, he continued to have fun doing what he loved, treating the world with the same kindness he expected in return. His will and perserverience is a testment to what human beings are capable of, even in the face of unbeatable odds.

Your message has inspired millions, myself included. You can consider me your new friend and admirer, one of many I am sure.

RIP Randy <3

Re: Famed "Last Lecture" Gaming Prof Passes Away

I believe this is what it truly means to die with dignity.

Carnegie-Mellon, we salute you.

Re: Famed "Last Lecture" Gaming Prof Passes Away

*Raises Dualshock 3 in Respect*

Re: Famed "Last Lecture" Gaming Prof Passes Away

I'd read the news on Friday. I tend to not get weepy over sad things I watch (in movies, etc.) but watching that speech, I got weepy. When I read that he'd passed away, I got weepy all over again.

My condolences to his family.

Re: Famed "Last Lecture" Gaming Prof Passes Away

*raises glass* Rest In Peace, good sir. ~You Could Be Mine, But You're Way Out Of Line..~
~You Could Be Mine, But You're Way Out Of Line..~

Re: Famed "Last Lecture" Gaming Prof Passes Away

His last lecture is very touching.  The world is poorer for this tragic loss.  And our hearts go out to his family and friends.

Re: Famed "Last Lecture" Gaming Prof Passes Away: RIP, buddy!

RIP, he was truly a good man.  What makes me even more sad is the fact that JT could blame this on games for some insane reason.

Re: Famed "Last Lecture" Gaming Prof Passes Away: RIP, buddy!

Jesus Christ, please don't bring Jack into this.

Re: Famed "Last Lecture" Gaming Prof Passes Away: RIP, buddy!

If he does, he will burn in hell for eternity.

Re: Famed "Last Lecture" Gaming Prof Passes Away