Could Game-bashing Mitt Romney Be McCain's VP Choice?

July 29, 2008 -

Although they were bitter enemies during the primaries, recent reports - like this one from Reuters - have Republican presidential candidate John McCain and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney getting rather chummy.

And that could be bad news for gamers.

Among possible Republican VP choices, Romney has been far and away the most outspoken on video game content issues. GamePolitics readers may recall Romney making comments like this on the campaign trail:

It's time to clean up the water in which our kids are swimming. I've proposed that we enforce our obscenity laws again and that we get serious against those retailers that sell adult video games that are filled with violence, that we go after those retailers.

Romney also released a campaign video which played to this theme.

Comments

Re: Could Game-bashing Mitt Romney Be McCain's VP Choice?

So he'd piss off the most liberal part of our party. Whoop dee doo. Personally I'd prefer it if we just shuffled all the "social issues conservatives" like that jackass Mike Huckabee out. They're the ones that make the rest of us look like bigots.

"Oh noes!! Romney is a MOAR-MIN. ZOMG111!!"

Re: Could Game-bashing Mitt Romney Be McCain's VP Choice?

Honestly, I agree. But alienating traditionally supportive voters is not a good way to get elected. So, I doubt Romney would get VP.

Re: Could Game-bashing Mitt Romney Be McCain's VP Choice?

mitt romney sucks...I think McCain should choose Condoleeza Rice for VP (unless she's anti-gaming...which as far as I know, she isn't)

MattsworknameAlso, on a less angry note, who here is playing blood borne. I get the impresion the next 5 to 6 months of my life are gonna go to this game.05/06/2015 - 1:39am
Mattsworknameacting like this.05/06/2015 - 1:25am
MattsworknameIm sorry, but at this point, Im so sick of the whole Feminist/anti feminsit insanity that i'll just say this. The radical parts of both groups have gone BATSHIT. Radicl feminists have no place in polite socity, radicl MRAs same deal. Screw the both them05/06/2015 - 1:25am
E. Zachary KnightSpoilers contained inside, but this is a great look at Black Widow's characterisation in Avengers. http://io9.com/black-widow-this-is-why-we-can-t-have-nice-things-170233303705/05/2015 - 9:57pm
WonderkarpWithout losing P.T.. Which is an awesome game.05/05/2015 - 9:04pm
WonderkarpDamnit. Not only is the P.T. Demo leaving the PSN, you also cant Redownload it! Meaning if you Delete it, its gone. http://nichegamer.com/2015/05/you-better-keep-that-silent-hills-demo-installed-you-cant-re-download-it/ Now I cant upgrade my HD05/05/2015 - 9:04pm
MattsworknameIm actaully glad to see anita doing posistive videos, I had lots of issues with her older FF stuff, but her more recent stuff is alot better and more of what I want to see, positive female charecters getting praised.05/05/2015 - 6:01pm
WonderkarpThat is one hell of a prediction from EA. I dont know if it'll hit that, but still...Battlefront...though a crippled battlefront. few games I can imagine could hit that salesnumber. Battlefront is one of them.05/05/2015 - 5:52pm
MechaCrashI wonder how much of the game they'll hold back as DLC.05/05/2015 - 5:51pm
Andrew EisenI wonder if development went so over budget that EA HAS to announce such a lofty estimate.05/05/2015 - 5:49pm
Andrew EisenYeah, best of luck and all but that strikes me as a gross overestimate.05/05/2015 - 5:47pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/05/05/star-wars-battlefront-sales-figures-predictions/ EA its nuts. there is no way it sells 10 million copies. I will buy that game, but come on.05/05/2015 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp Sega would have to make somethign worthwhile tho....05/05/2015 - 5:41pm
Matthew Wilson@wond dont forget creative assembly. sega still has a big pc part.05/05/2015 - 5:11pm
WonderkarpI saw that. I feel like Sega is on the verge of just becoming 100% Atlus. Atlus is selling like crazy and the buzz for Persona 5 is high. Especially in my house05/05/2015 - 4:58pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/05/for-first-time-ever-sega-wont-have-a-booth-at-e3/ sega is not having a both at e3 this year. yet another Japanese developer pulling back.05/05/2015 - 4:44pm
Andrew EisenSorry, got pulled away. To expand on that, I believe the NX is much too far away for Nintendo to delay Zelda until its launch.05/05/2015 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenNo.05/05/2015 - 4:16pm
Wonderkarphey Andrew, got a question. do you think Nintendo will pull a Wii and delay Zelda onto their "new console" like they did with Twilight Princess?05/05/2015 - 4:15pm
Wonderkarpand it said it was submitted but i never saw anything05/05/2015 - 4:11pm