Video Game Ban for Girls Who Trashed Chick-fil-A Millionaire’s Home

Two girls accused of trashing the New Smyrna Beach, Florida home of Chick-fil-A restaurant chain founder S. Truett Cathy will be banned from video games as part of their punishment.

The girls, who caused $30,000 in damage are also banned from watching TV, must read a good book and complete a writing assignment. From the Associated Press:

In a deal Cathy worked out with their parents, the girls must write "I will not vandalize other people’s property" 1,000 times… the pre-teens broke into Cathy’s Florida home two weeks ago and sprayed fire extinguishers, threw eggs and left water running in the kitchen.

The 87-year-old Cathy… said he didn’t want to prosecute the girls and leave them with a criminal record.

GP: There’s no clear reason why video games were banned. It’s likely the old-school notion that they somehow promote sloth. All in all, however, this is a very forgiving arrangement by Mr. Cathy. After all, the girls could have been made to eat at Chick-fil-A. Now that’s punishment…

SomeChristianKid says:

Damn they got off pretty easily, Cathy seems like one swell fellow, I would have wanted some cash at least :(

Why did they do this shit in the first place?

Mnementh2230 says:

They’re pre-teen.  They’re stupid.  Ground their asses for a few months, and make them WORK for the guy whose property they destroyed.  The’ll have to face him every work day while he assigns chores and duties.  They get skills AND work experience, and learn a bit in the process.  Given the amount of damage done, make it 1000 hours at least (and that’s overvaluing their time a LOT).

shady8x says:

Wow, they aren’t even sent to their rooms and can still use their cell phones?

Dang, its like they aren’t even trying to punish them…

Seriously shouldn’t they be forced to do community service for a year or two???

What the fuck is "Chick fill-A"?

-Entertainment isn’t the reason the world sucks. It’s the reason we know the world sucks. For information on games and psychology, look up: Jonathan Freedman(2002)Block & Crain(2007)Grand Theft Childhood, by Harvard researchers Larry Kutner&Cheryl Olson

DeepThorn says:

They should be forced to only be allowed to each Chick-fil-a on sundays, and eat it every day for dinner until they have paid $30,000.  (Looks like they wont be eating on sundays then with that idea… EXACTLY)

Father Time says:

30,000 dollars is a lot but as other have pointed out the fact that the guy’s a millionaire means he probably has expensive stuff lying around. Bring moderate damage to a rug or a painting and the costs will go way up.

Monte says:

" There’s no clear reason why video games were banned. It’s likely the old-school notion that they somehow promote sloth."

Man, GP, you’ve been listening to all of those attacks on games to much… you can’t seem to tell the difference between a negative statement about video games and classic parental punishment; take away anything the kids find enjoyable

Anonymous says:

Well, first off, I do find Chick-Fil-A’s food to not be all too bad at all. I’d take them over most of what you’d get at McD’s anyways. Second off, I think that they did get off good, I mean, I don’t think the Chick-Fil-A guy is a "Teh Video Games must die!!!!1111" type of guy, and No TV and Video Games seems like a good ol’ Fashion punishment even in this case (though admittingly, a very leaniant one.)

Anonymous says:

While I applaud his ability to forgive and forget, I must admit that Mr. Cathy really isn’t doing these girls any favors here. When I was a kid, I got worse punishment than this for skipping school. Did it cause me to not skip school anymore? Of course not. They can crank out the thousand sentences in a couple of days, and you damn well better believe they are just going to go watch tv at their friends’ houses.

So congratulations, Mr. Cathy, on showing these two young girls that if they just act sorry enough after the fact, they can get away with serious crimes such as causing $30k worth of damage to someone’s private property.

As for Chick-fil-A….my girlfriend likes them more than I do, although they are okay by me. My main gripe is that they are not open on Sundays.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah I think most people here agree that the "video game" part of the story is irrevelant, but what’s more important is the fact that they are spoiled and got off with literally no punishment, so it’s a more social issue than anything.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hey now, no need to bring race into this. Though I do agree to an extent…those from the not-white-and-rich class would be screwed…I’m only middle class and my dad would KILL me if I did that.

jadedcritic says:

Slow day for news?  They got grounded…  I guess I wonder why it has to be a "but why did they lose videogames"?  thing.  Starting to think the gamer crowd is getting a little overly sensitive/defensive.  (beep) I know when I was young I’d lose my games when I got in trouble.  It’s not because game make kids vandalize things, it’s because kids like games and it’s a punishment.

I don’t know.  Maybe I’m missing the point here, but I don’t see this as news.

GryphonOsiris says:

While I do agree that punishment was a bit light, I am slightly tickled at the creativity and restraint that was given in deciding how they should be punished. As much of a forgiving person as I am, I doubt I’d show that much compasion to that level of vandalism.

"The Good, the Bad, and Videogame"
    Reviews on the best, worst, and controversial issues of Videogames.

Majestic_12_x ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

They banned these girls from playing video games after doing $30,000 worth of damage? Really? Send them over for some "occupational" work in southeast asia, and they won’t ever be doing $30,000 worth of damage to anyone’s home ever again.

While not quite as bad (since no animal cruelty involved), these girls belong up there with the "Teenage Kings of Werribe" and the adolescents who microwaved a cat while vandalizing a house in Canada.

Kojiro ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Anyone care to speculate if this story would be any different if two boys did the same?  Or better yet, two black boys?  Hmmm?  Anyone?

mogbert says:

I had worse punishments then this from forgetting to say "sir" or "ma’am" to anyone older then me. I got grounded for four months for getting a D.

If I had done $30,000 worth of damage  would be grounded for years.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well we are more just talking about the politics (or rather, how these girls should be punished), so it’s somewhat related. It’s a fairly interesting story, even if it’s not blantantly videogame related…

Anonymous says:

Hey I like Chik-fil-A. And when I misbehaved as a lad, I often lost videogame privileges as punishment. It’s not about sloth, it’s about taking away something you enjoy.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hell, I’ve never even heard of the place.

You’re right tho, these girls need a bigger punishment. Reasons are all said in above comments, I don’t need to repeat them

robb ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This seems like excellent punishment, a combination of someone caring enough to work it out privately and a stern punishment to fit the would-be-crimes.  I think this should be an example for parents on how to use the video game as punishment.  It’s simply a way to make life a little harder.  Hell, for $30,000 damages, I’d sell everything they had.

It’s not mentioned in the article, but I’d make sure they were too busy to trash peoples houses for a long time.

Murdats says:

while this may be some entertaining news isn’t reporting this the same thing we cry over the mainstream media doing where they take a story and tie it to games in any way they can?

it seems to me to be a case of a settlement with the parents to ground the kids, and among those things is video games, this is pretty common because kids enjoy games, kids dont enjoy not enjoying themself and thus it is an effective punishment but by focusing on the games part of that list when it is not called for is poiting it out as a special case which is exactly what we are trying to stop from happening.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this site and you do awesome and much needed work but I feel even reporting on articles like this just slows us down.

nightwng2000 says:

I have to agree that this is WAY too soft of a punishment.  It’s not like toilet papering the front lawn or leaving a burning bag of dog poop on the front porch.  We’re talking thousands of dollars of property damage.

But then, I also have trouble dealing with the Amish idea of forgiveness too.  If someone wants to forgive a terrible act, so be it.  It would probably be hard for me to do.

And yet, at the same time, no criminal record means if they do something terrible again, there’ll be no evidence that they hadn’t "learned their lesson" after a prior bad act.  Hence, the next time will seem like the first time.

Like others, I’m curious as to their reasons for having committed this act.

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

Uncle Midriff ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I know this is a tangent, but damn; what’s with the Chick-Fil-A hatin’?

I worked there for a number of years during my teens, and I still eat there.  Their food is expensive, but it is also higher-than-typical quality.  They actuall bread and fry or grill their chicken on the premises.  This means you’re not getting some pre-breaded, pre-cooked, pre-shaped peice of chicken suasage like you typically get from places like McDonald’s… you’re getting actual fresh chicken breast meat, breaded, fried up and thrown on a bun just minutes before you’re eating it.

If you don’t like it, that’s fine;  but it’s not just some low-quality garbage.

black manta says:

So what was their motivation for trashing his place anyway?  I know Chick-Fil-A and Mr. Cathy make no bones about their ties to conservative Christian organizations and the Christian faith (which is the reason why I hardly eat there.  That and the food is only so-so.)  Was it an act of rebellion, then?  Or just a simple case of kids lashing out?

Luke says:

It sounds to me like videogames were banned for the same reasons TV was.  They’re something the kids would enjoy doing, so they’re being denied the games as punishment.  I personally think the brats should’ve been punished more severely.  There’s nothing worse than overpriviledged, spoiled rich s***s, like those girls likely are.

Also, Chick-fil-A has some great chicken sandwiches.

garrett says:

These girls need more punishment… according to Cathy, he stated he didn’t want them having a criminal record. If they are preteens, they won’t HAVE a criminal record, as it would be wiped clean by the time they are 18.

Dennis doesn’t like Chik-fil-a?

We love it here down south. It’s better then than most any fast food place when it comes to chicken sandwiches. To be honest, though, I think Georgia and Florida are testing grounds for certain new menu items, so I’ve seen some good stuff on the menu. Bit pricey too.

desperad0 says:

Thanks good job;

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing travesti or little and need to start saving costs. and dizi izle

Now I don’t have to get off my ass for the important shit anymore!

Whats next, ordering pizza from Xbox live?

Wait… I think that sounds like a good idea.

But I think voting should MAKE you get off your ass, and see outside or a second while you go vote. I mean, your picking the president of the United States of America for God’s Sake… least you can do is drive down there and punch out a card.

oto kirlama says:

Nintendo is indeed selling SOME of these on the Virtual Console but not even close to all of them. While i agree in part to his piracy he was filling a market that Nintendo failed to recognize. Maybe someone doesnt want to buy a Wii. maybe they just want a console with 50 – 100 NES games on them?? maybe just maybe?

but no Nintendo wants everyone araba kiralama to buy the Wii. thats their excuse but thats not what copyright is supposed to protect. i am real sure that the makers of 10 yard fight were losing sleep because they were missing out on their $0.00025 worth because they didnt get royalties from this player. *smirk*

my question is, should Super Mario Bros. be banned from public domain forever? isnt 23 years enough time for Nintendo to have made their profits?

If you have followed the Steamboat Willie case regarding Mickey Mouse you can rest in your bed well at night knowing that the MOUSE will still be under copyright law, away from public domain after your great grandchildren are in nursing homes. That is beyond ridiculous dont you think??

Gallagher can araç kiralama say all he wants, but I strongly rent a car believe it’s due to his crappy leadership and E3 being a joke. ESA’s Board of Directors need to find a way to get out rent a car of this horrid contract with this Bush cronie before there’s no one left on the Board.

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing ttnet vitamin or little and need to start saving costs.

Now I don’t have to get off my ass for the important shit anymore!

Whats next, ordering pizza from Xbox live?

Wait… I think that sounds like a good idea.

Anonymous says:

These "agreements" absolutely sicken me to my stomach.

If I were one of these girls I would have simply said "Fuck you, send me to jail instead."

And come back much later with Molotov cocktails.

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Loss of TV and Videogames?  Lines? Read a book?  What kind of pansy ass punishment is that?  If that was me, youd have to ask my parents to draw a map to the body.  Chalk this up to parents not taking responsibility in raising their children.  How about….make them work for Mr. Cathy to pay 30,000 worth in damages.  Arg, I hate parents that dont parent

sabin_blitz ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It’s only unenjoyable if someone else makes you do it. Otherwise I greatly enjoy a good book and putting a pen to paper.

Anonymous says:

This is hardly worth posting here, video games aren’t blamed, demonized, or slandered. It’s just parents grounding their kids by restricting enjoyable things and enforcing a few not so enjoyable activities, like reading, chores, ect. Plus those girls got off easy.

Father Time says:

"If I had $30K of damages done to me (well, if I had $30K worth of stuff to be damaged, and then someone damaged it) I would be far less forgiving."

Perhaps, but if you were a millionaire you might be a bit more forgiving (or willing to barter at the very least).

Trails ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Agreed, unless some comments not included in the story give more video game specific context, this strikes me as a removal of privileges, rather than any particular damnation of video games per se.

Benji says:

Video games aren’t being banned because they’re a proximate cause of the vandalism. The girls are just being grounded by the courts. And yes, considering the damages done, they got off nicely. If I had $30K of damages done to me (well, if I had $30K worth of stuff to be damaged, and then someone damaged it) I would be far less forgiving.

Monte says:

I don’t think the courts are involved at all… this is all an agreement between the parents and Mr.Cathy. If Mr.Cathy does not press charges against the girls, then the courts don’t get involved

Monte ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well, you would have to take into account that Mr.Cathy may have insurance that covers everything the girls did. He’s more forgiving then i’d probably be though, but he also seems to understand how hard life can be when you have any kind of criminal record… his hope is probably that the punishment will be enough to get the girls to learn their lesson and keep them from doing something this stupid again… if it works out, this incident will have no lasting effects on their lives and they can go through life normally… if not, they’ll commit another stupid crime, this time get the full punishment, and have their lives really screwed over. he’s pretty much giving them a second chance…

Anonymous says:

Yeah, screw her for being a forgiving human being! Also for realizing that showing compassion is the only way to really make those girls realize that the "enemy" is all in their twisted hippy girl heads!

(I really hope you were being sarcastic too.)

Austin_Lewis says:

How is this a fucking punishment?  Put the little vandals into Juvie for a few months, see if they decide to do it again.  They caused 30 THOUSAND dollars in damage, and they get a slap on the wrist?  That’s like demolishing a new car, it’d be the same cost in damage.

What bullshit.  Fuck Cathy, the state should take them up on charges.

Krono says:

Seeing as he’s likely quite wealthy, and wealthy people tend not to buy cheap things (in terms of either quality or price) it probably wouldn’t take all that much to rack up the damages. Particularly as they were using fire extinguishers, which tend to messy, and damaging. Wreck a couple of good paintings and rugs, and you could easily get waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up there. Furniture (particularly any antique pieces) needing repairs or replacement also would total up quite a bit. To a couple of pre-teens it’d appear to be superficial damage to only a few things. To anyone that actually knowledgable, it’d be signficant damage to a valuable item.

Anonymous says:

There was no spray-paint involved.  Fire extinguishers, eggs, and running water, all relatively juvinile pranks.  As for the$30,000 in damages, it may be less difficult than you think depending on what he had in his home.  In some homes, causing $30,000 in damages is as simple as bumping into a table and knocking over a vase.

Anonymous says:

i completely agree

the fact that they did vandalize the house in the first place tells you that they are spoiled and have no sense of action/ reaction.

SS says:

I would have gotten the same or worse punishment for getting anything less than a 4.0.  Their parents have spoiled them.  The least they should get is a summer of volunteer work.

Krono says:

Whoops, missed it.

Well, that does explain a bit why Cathy was lenient with them. Probably figures that they can be straightened out without tossing them in juvie.

Krono says:

There’s no clear reason why video games were banned.

That’s easy, video games were banned along with TV. The old guy didn’t want them thrown into jail, so he’s having them grounded/given detention instead.

I’d be curious to learn how old the girls are. Since we aren’t given their names, I’m guessing they’re still minors, but old enough to be charged as adults.

Mazinja says:

the girls are pre-teens, aka the age where kids do STUPID THINGS. Sending them to ‘Juvie’ would probably not exactly be a good idea. Sure, they caused a ton of damage, and if  the house didn’t belong to, er, a MILLIONARE, the punishment would probably be a lot worse.

Taking away TV and Videogames is punishment enough for a kid that age. Forcing them to write those 1000 sentences is torture, as is making them *gasp* READ SOMETHING.

So… yeah, what the kids did was BAD, but sending children that age to what amounts to a prison is not a good way to discipline them. A good spanking might help tho 😐

garrett says:

I wish I could agree, Mazinja. I’ve been in to juvie centers, and can tell you that many of them come back.

Stupid things preteens do includes creating disasters, but not $30,000 worth of it. Breaking into a house, spray-painting it, leaving the running water on… those are things that rebelious teens or stupid adult criminals do, not preteens. But kids at the age of 10 or 11 that plan and create dangerous acts by themseleves? Unless something more dramatic steps in, like weekly vists to therapy, good parenting, and a better use of time, they are on their way to be lifelong prison mates.

Pizzª_کLﮞT ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t think the parents are really blaming video games its just them punishing their kids.  Usually all things involving the TV was taken away when I was bad as a kid.

Quiggy says:

That is nicely lenient considering what they did, but it’s also a fairly standard parental punishment.  I can remember a few times I lost the right to watch TV and play Game Boy.

Anonymous says:

That order smacks of "Oh, you damn kids need to read a good book, and get some fresh air and work with your hands instead of looking at my spaces on the computer machine! Get off my lawn!"

If you want to really teach them a lesson, fine them, and throw them in prison for a couple of weeks. (or juvinile hall, if that’s the case)