Thailand’s 10 Violent Games to Avoid List Stolen From Detroit

The situation in Thailand involving a cabbie murder with an alleged GTA connection grows increasingly bizarre…

Yesterday we mentioned a Cnet Asia report that the Thai Ministry of Health (left) had issued a list of 10 violent video games to avoid. You can see it here, in Thai.

Can’t read Thai? Me neither. Here’s the list in English, as translated by Cnet’s Jesada Chandraprasert:

1- GTA

2- Man Hunt

3- Scarface

4- 50 Cent – Bullet Proof

5- 300

6- The Godfather

7- Killer 7

8- Resident Evil 4

9- God of War

10- Hitman

Back in December GamePolitics criticized Detroit Prosecutor Kym Worthy for a.) blaming her city’s crime on video games, and b.) issuing an outdated list of violent games to avoid. Here’s Worthy’s unworthy list:

1. Grand Theft Auto
2. Manhunt
3. Scarface
4. 50 Cent Bulletproof
6. The Godfather
7. Killer-7
8. Resident Evil 4
9. God of War
10. Hitman Blood Money

Notice anything?

They’re the same list. The only difference is that Worthy’s Hitman Blood Money morphs to Hitman on the Thai Ministry list, while Grand Theft Auto is simply written as GTA. That could be a result of imprecise translation by Chandraprasert.

So, is Thailand turning to Detroit to help solve its crime problem?

The more likely answer is that Thai bureaucrats are simply grabbing material from the Web in order to support a video game crackdown by the government.

Anonymous says:

The Thai government is pathetic, video games DO NOT encourage people to kill in real life, they may be a contributing factor to why kids like him murdered a taxi driver, but that’s just one in 6 billion. Generally speaking I think it’s society that’s to blame since they are taking this situation WAY over the top. If they really want to rid of anything depicting violence why not just ban ALL form of entertainment in Thailand (and make sure flowers grow out of bulletholes on bodies that are shot!), that’ll make more sense (and suck more at the same time). As for the list, I think it’s pathetic, they’re simply banning all the games that this kid loudmouthed about. What? Is "Gears of War" not graphic?, not saying it sucks but…it’s PATHETIC!

p.s. I’m Thai and the GTA Franchise and "Hitman Blood Money" (<especially!) are my ALL-TIME FAVORITES

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh, if you lived anywhere near Detroit….almost every citizen around here has been calling for him being kicked out….

JustChris says:

In an energy/food crisis, the people living in ghettos and depend on government handouts will be the first to kick the bucket. These people are uppity because they’re used to the these handouts, and a withdrawal of from them will make them go nuts. It’s more of a welfare factor than a race factor.

DeepThorn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Thats what the progress of man kind depends on. That is why I normally dont support the democratic party.  They want to baby these people instead of supporting nature.  (aka servival of the fittest)  Let these lazy bum rot out and die.  If is for the betterment of the country.  I hate saying it, but it is true.  I wouldn’t say it, but I even have family members that belong in this group of peopel that should rot away and disappear.  It would be better for everyone.

These people already drag their families down, why give them hope with government support.  Then you have people who take advantage of unemployment, work at a place for 3 months or whatever is required, get fired, then collect unemployment again…  The government doesnt even have checks for this type of stuff, and these people do it on purpose.  It is great that they can only collect so many months of unemployment, but when people know they can just work for a short while and collect it again, it is bad.

For every group out there even the worst of the worst, there are people in other groups that are better that are just as bad.  I am keeping from calling out races in here because it is every race that does this crap, not just one.  There is statistical knowledge that there is a group or 2 that are worse than all of the rest though, and the information you posted above is a fine example.

I hate all people who are stupid (by lack of trying not because of them being born disabled), loud, and blame everyone but themselves…

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh yes, I agree with that. There are some people of a group (in this case, black people) that are good. Hard-working, nice, etc. But even at my high school in Oakland County, where we have maybe 15 black males, about 12 of them are the type that fit their stereotypes and make the other 3 look worse. And as for black women….no offence, there are none at my school (other than two that are half black) that aren’t loud, fat, obnoxious, claims EVERYTHING is racist, etc etc. All progress will depend on these types of people, who just drag everyone down…

Anonymous says:

Well, I think it’s becoming more and more apparent that Thailand were looking for a scapegoat and nothing more.

They obviously haven’t researched anything themselves and have, instead, chosen the ‘blame the media’ route taken by other countries about 50 years ago.

Either way, it isn’t working, already this incident has sunk into the realm of Blogs etc, I think the only people who aren’t aware what is really going on are those that are willfully blinkering themselves from the obviousness of the scapegoating to serve their own purposes, and those who have never heard of it.

cullarn says:

omg turning to detriot for help with crime rates . . .what are they trying to raise them!!! (now ill admit i live somewhat near detriot and some of it is very nice . . . but other areas . . . yeah)

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

They are not ban in the US, they are just suggested to be too violent to play by a bunch of idiots who have only played solitaire if that.  So that have little to no gaming experience, and have no idea at all on how the games can or can not affect people.

SimonBob says:

Heh, I was wondering how Killer7 managed to make the list.  Tho I’ve always felt it deserved higher recognition for its depiction of total personality alteration, which seems like exactly the kind of thing that a real-world assassin should have.  (If you dissociate from yourself after a murder, then you’ve got a perfect alibi — you honestly don’t believe that you killed anyone!)

The Mammon Industry

DeepThorn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah, in life you learn that most stereotypes are true for the majority of that group.  There are always exceptions, but yeah…  statistics and genetic research has proven many things that are qualified at stereotypes and racist remarks as being statistical facts.

You are right, it is a touchy subject, but only to those who don’t understand it.  While people of those groups who are outside of the stereotypes normally fully admit that most people in that grouping are exactly what those stereotypes say.  While the people who live up to the stereotypes deny it while committing acts that fall fully within the stereotypes.

I just hate when history is pulled into the conversation when the history of our country has nothing to do with where we are today.  These groups are where they are because of their actions, and by living up to those stereotypes, these groups are only hurting themselves.  Luckily, the worst of these  main groups has a couple sub-groups starting up to try to change the way of their main group.  Trying to prevent people from pulling out the ‘group card’ with acting like someone else is being bias when the person pulling the card is actually living up to the stereotype.

Now that is a twisted way of saying some nasty things in a polite way, but you can’t refute facts and statistics.  You just have to work in the fact that there are exceptions…  facts are facts though, just make sure you work in the actually number of exceptions though.

And, it is pointless to argue with stupid people, and when some groups are filled with stupid people, then it is pointless to argue with them at all.  (This is a general statement that can go with any group.  It could be religious, race, location, gender, sexual preference, career, and so on.)

Thai gamer says:

The Thai Govt are just a  bunch of retards who only take action when there is already an incident I bet you if the kids didn’t go and killed the cabbie , they just gonna sit on their asses with their corruption money and people will still play GTA as usual

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

According to the 2000 U.S. Census,[3] the median family income for the city of Detroit, whose population was 81.55% African-American, was $33,853, and 26.1% of the population lived below the poverty line. By contrast, the median family income for Oakland County, whose population was 82.75% white, was $75,540, and only 5.5% of residents lived below the poverty line.

I live in Oakland County, I’ve seen Detroit, these numbers almost seem forgiving to Detroit for how bad it is…but hey, maybe if we got a good mayor, one that’s a business man (or hell, a new governor would be great too…), we (we being Metro Detroit) could help fix up this city, and bring it back to its formor glory.

Now, there are many things I could’ve and wanted to say about the culture of Detroit, but I chose to refrain from using stereotypes, however true, because it’ll just spark arguements, and I am choosing to abstain from that.

DeepThorn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hey! Politicians at their best!  I missed the Detroit story…  I am sorry, but Detroit was screwed up beyond belief before the first GTA.  What are you going to blame it on then Pac Man?  I would say just google Detroit Crime Statistics, but the city is well known for not giving correct data, delaying data releases on that type of information, and yeah…

Thailand has had issues for a long time too.  I doubt this plays outside of their statistics, and i wouldnt doubt if it is a slow year for them, haha

NovaBlack says:

how can they class the no1 game to avoid as ‘Grand theft Auto’

Thats not even a game. Its a series. And im sorry you cant say it in a ‘general ‘way beacus the first top down GTA is completely laughable if you go back and look at it!

Aliasalpha says:

Nah this site is run by Dennis’ Bruce Wayne persona. I mean he must be a millionaire, how else could he afford to finance the giant conspiracy against jack thompson?

That list "coincidence" is kind of sad, does this mean that anti-gaming hysteria turns people into list thieves? Quick, someone find out how many lists jack thompson has stolen!

I can understand how people could find Manhunt disturbing but those people need to sit down and play it for a few levels. Soon they’ll find that it’s repetitive and tedious, basically a wannabe Hitman where they couldn’t be fucked to make interesting challenges and so just made it gory to distract you. Honestly I’m shocked that a company as professional Rockstar were responsible for it.

Anonymous Thai says:

Concluded: My government has no sense with anything related to technology… Or anything for that matter…

Thank god I won’t be staying here any longer…

WandererWillow says:

I’ve actually played every one of these games…

Sad thing is, many of them aren’t really THAT violent.  The Godfather game was actually really good and didn’t truly push the whole blood and gore aspect.  Neither do quite a few others.  I think they just went "What was huge on our culture that had violence" and threw it on that list.

And I avoided 50 Cent’s Bulletproof for a COMPLETELY different reason.

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

detroit shopuld be in the next GTA game. GTA 5 motocity. they can even parody the mayors name. kwame kilpatrick will be kwame kilputrid in the game.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Metro Detroit is fantastic, the areas around it, that’s where I live. As for the city itself…yeah, it’s a shithole. My dad went to school there, and was threatened almost daily, sometimes at knifepoint, for being white.

But, Kym Worthy is doing a fantastic job, seeing as she’s seeking to charge the Mayor (who, if you don’t know, has commited some 8 felonys, wasted millions of tax dollars for his own benefit, and lied about having an affair but the "woman" she had an affair with had a city-payed phone making her text messages public property). She may have said some silly things about video games in the past, but what she’s doing to try and help Detroit is very good. She’s also the Wayne County prosecutor, not just for Detroit.

Anonymous says:

"If Thailand wants to use Detroit to help solve crime, it had better involve Robocop…"

Haha, yeah either him or Axel Foley, or Better yet, both!

PissOnDetroit says:

Agreed.  I made the mistake of going to Detroit once, and it’s the single biggest crime-blighted urban pisshole in America.  The most interesting part of the trip was when I got physically assaulted by a bus driver.

Zerodash. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Why isn’t Stubbs the Zombie on that list?

Anonymous says:

Grand Theft Auto at #1, really?

Due to the graphic style of Killer 7 I could not expect it to be up there.

Any games where you are killing zombies, and mythological creatures should not be allowed on a list as they are "training" you to kill things that are not real.

What stupidity.

Mr.Tastix says:

Cool, a list of 10 games that will most likely make you kill people. I better go and buy that entire list then and let the massacre begin! And note, if anyone like Kym Worthy is reading this, I was being sarcastic (as most will realise but this is to save my own ass lol).

I’m quite surprised to Manhunt at #2 when, I’ve been told, that that is much more violent then Grand Theft Auto. And, from what I’ve seen of it, it definitely looks more violent than any of the GTA games.

If Thailand officials have to resort to using online means or even states of other countries methods of banning video games that apparently make us more prone to go and assault or murder somebody (I mean, c’mon, where the hell is the bloody evidence that this happens?) then they really do suck at their job.

How can somebody justify making decisions based of anothers personal opinion? And that’s what I’m going to call it from here on it, a personal opinion that violent video games make people more violent. I’ve seen no scientific proof just people stating what they call evidential claims and "facts". It’s utter bull, just like Thailand’s government, just like most governments.

— Joshua Smellie

MaskedPixelante says:

Why would anyone want to be Kym Worthy right now? She’s received implied death threats over ther involvment in the Kwame case… from Kwame HIMSELF.

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.