Thai Official: Prosecute Game Makers for Copycat Violence

Could executves of Take-Two and Rockstar Games be prosecuted for an alleged copycat killing in Thailand?

Following local police assertions that the murder of a Bangkok cab driver was prompted by the killer’s play of Grand Theft Auto, a Thai government official has called for prosecution of game publishers for instances of copycat violence.

AsiaOne Digtal quotes Somchai Jaroen-amnuaysuk of the Welfare Promotion, Protection and Empowerment of Vulnerable Groups Office:

When a player copycats a crime he or she sees in the game, the game maker should be prosecuted. Prosecutions will automatically force game makers to act more responsibly.

NovaBlack. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

now THAT is EPIC EPIC EPIC win

lol we so need to club together to take a lawsuit against JT.  i mean without him id never have heard of GTA, it was his obsession with it that gave me the idea to go buy it.

in fact, scrap that. Just say this:

JT told me videogames train me to kill people and steal.

so i need expensive rehab and its all JTS fault for not acting responsibly. He talked about it on daytime TV when lots of minors were watching. He marketed his theory DELIBERATELY to minors.  And as we all know, personal responsibility doesnt factor into the equation, im just a mindless puppet who must do what i see on tv/games/radio. And the source… JT…  therefore, blame lies squarely with JT. same logic!

JustChris says:

It’s taking the idea of a gold-digger to the extreme.

Now that I think about it, frivolous lawsuits and prosecutions have a lot in common with the way insurance works. They all attempt in transferring the risk and responsibility from one party to another.

At least the insurance companies can decide who can get a policy, and they don’t take a loss of money until it pays off for you in an accident. But with lawsuits and prosecutions the responsible companies don’t have a choice and they always lose money. And if they refuse to comply the companies face other legal consequences. It’s like threatening an insurance agent with death or blackmail.

NovaBlack. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

wow no need to be rude.

Just lettin GP know. usually appreciates these things. Wasnt meant in a ‘im a better typer than you’ way atall (hence the smiley)

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

which tyrants are you talking about, if you mean the politicians, then you may want to look again.  McCain doesnt even know how to work a computer, which is common for most politicians.

sheppy says:

I tried to sue Nippon Ichi Software after playing Rhapsody.  It caused me to break into song in public causing much embarassment to myself and my family.  We’re still awaiting a court date but I am willing to settle for a copy of Disgaea 3 and a 1:16th scale statue of Etna…

Adamas Draconis says:

Eh I see him as a mouse, small, harmless, and annoying, until the cat finds it, then it’s small,dead,harmless,and annoying. Besides, he’s already been here.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I wouldnt have known about the game if it wasnt for Jack T.  So that is my excuse.  I blame me biting into the throat of a person because I saw a lion do it on the discovery channel too, haha.

Kris O. says:

Oooh. Smells a lot like "win" to me.

I hope someone from RockStar reads your post and throws around that idea. I’d donate some money to RockStar/Take 2, if they made it public that they were going to drop a sue-bomb on Thailand for "not acting responsibly."

DeepThorn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Nice use of bold. (No seriously, I liked that in the first paragraph.)

I am trying to understand how all of this goes.  If you are in the car with someone who does a drive by shooting, you are an accessory to the crime.  It is kind of like arresting a mob boss that never does anything illegal, never asked anyone to do anything illegal, and then some wanna be goons that have seen this guy carrying out crime lord mob like acts.

Wait wait wait, no…  It is like a Muslim going through the airport and put in jail for doing nothing wrong because people in groups like Al-Qaeda being Muslim.

Cavalier ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

So, planning on expanding your prosecution list to other forms of media there, Thailand? Who will you have when Video Game outlets stop operating in your country? Books? Television? News Media? The Internet in general?

This is not a plan with an actual ending.

Majestic_12_x ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

While the Thai government is proposing ridiculous legislation, I’d like to throw in my two cents:

I firmly believe that ridiculous legislation should be detered by gunshots to the head. Any politico or legislator who either creates or endorses such legislation shall be shot…in the head. That oughta teach these idiot politicos.

Anyone wonder why the Thai government chooses to focus on video game legislation instead of…you know…the rampant child prostitution in their country. (Looks at one hand, and then the other) Child prositution, violent video games, child prostitution, violent video games…

Jack, do you live in Thailand? Do you even know one person (and have met them physically, not in some article in TIME)? Besides this specific legislation, what can possibly interest you in Thailand? Do you believe that they might magically allow you to keep your bar license if you sing in tune with their song? If you actually care about the PEOPLE in Thailand, I’d highly suggest looking elsewhere because I highly doubt that violent video game legislation is on the top of the list of things that the people in Thailand need. A more transparent government seems and detering unnecessary legislation take priority here.

Arad says:

<starts to insert joke that further supports the previous jokes about the government, but then realizes it’s his own government>

<goes and gets a drink instead>

Anonymous says:

Just about sums up the intelligence of Thailands’ beaurocracy if you ask me. Not that they hadn’t demonstrated that admirably with their initial reaction to the reports.

ZippyDSMlee says:

can we sue Thai government for being a hateful and cold corrupt government that harms the masses?? =^^=

One can even blame the government for forcing the people to steal and kill each other because they cannot manage the populace…

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

Anonymous says:

Have they not proved it wasn’t the games fault yet?  Geez.  Get on that proof.  The game did dick all.  I saw violence in many forms growing up, and if I did something wrong or hurt another no one would say it was the games or media I am seeing or playing (besides Thompson) they would blame ME!

The Kid got in the car!

The Kid killed the guy!

The Kid tried to drive away!

Rockstar games didn’t to those things.   Quit being retards and focus on the task at hand.

Video Game Otaku says:

What I love is the fact that as soon as someone commits a crime and claim that they were influenced by the newest form of media scare craze (Rock, Comics, Video Games, Dirt) and are quick to blame and want to punish everything on said craze.  So what about movies, television, music that are way more violent than any video game? Or how about mental issues, desperation, life problems, society, and everything else that can play into leading to a crime, not to mention lets say… oh I don’t know the individual responsible for the crime, I know I know, crazy concept but just think about it.  People are so quick to blame everyone and everything else other than the real problem: the fracked up individual that committed the crime.  It just so happens that video games are the current easy target of everyone’s hate and is the current favorite scapegoat.  I really wish people would stop blaming everything else and focus on the real problems.  If someone says that a video game influenced them, so what?  The human race (for the most part) are susceptible to sheep syndrome.  They will blindly follow out of idiocy (see Nazis and Hitler)or will blame the crime/problem on whatever they think will take the wrap for them. Besides, I’ve seen movies (in the main stream media) that are far worse than GTA. "Oh but video Games allow you be interactive with the violence and take part in its creation so they are different" o rly?! then what do you call drawing or writing or directing or imagining? Might as well sue everyone who does those things cuz they "direct" whatever problems and violence in their story/creation. /sigh

Havokblast says:

That, Sir, is most definately an EPIC WIN.

thinking about it… I could sue Jackie T. for talking about GTA and making me interested in it in the first place…  "But Judge!!! Jack told me all about this game! It’s his fault!"

Mastere_E ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

A couple of people have mentioned Jack You-Know-Who already in the comments. It happens for nearly every article like this.

Can we try and drop it now? The man is fading into obscurity… let’s help him along by not mentioning him.

Geoff ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

*spits out coffee*

Hahahaha, are they serious?  Really?  Do they think they can actually prosecute Rockstar or T2?

None of them are going to be extradited to Thailand.  So long as none of the employees take a vacation over to that country, there’s nothing the government can do.  This smells of just a PR move and an attempt to get attention.

It’s pretty sad that people have become so, well, f’n stupid that they shift the blame to the companies instead of having the individual be held responsible.  In fact the word "responsible" itself is a dirty word in today’s world.

Felgard says:

and what about movies? books? theather? havent there been any copycat killings based on one of those medias?

Or are those yesterdays scapegoats?

NovaBlack. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

heres a point that is pure EPIC WIN

how about the killer sue the Thai government for not ‘acting more responsibly’ and allowing the game to be sold in the first place. Cant have it both ways. Either ALL who helped provide the game (including the Tahi government) get sued, or nobody does. you cant selectively choose.

HarmlessBunny says:

Oh look at this…Jack Thompson in the mean time is shivering in ecstasy. He’ll come by here later an announce, yet another, false victory.

This is an attention grab from that funky little asian country that thinks it is bigger than it really is. Once again teach people responsibility of their own actions. Finding a scape-goat is fun but it causes more problems down the road.

As far as I am concerned T2/Rockstar have been acting responsibly. They don’t market the game to kids. The agree to have ESRB ratings on it (here in North America) that indictate which is appropriate for which age group. That is responsible.

Thailand = epic fail.

Smarty Pants says:

What the Heck! Prosecute the weapons makers who made his weapon, prosecute the car makers, they’re going to prosecute everybody!

The parents raised him, prosecute them!

This is crazy, I weep for society.

NovaBlack. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

so let me get this straight.. now ive thought even more about it…

If say i pickup a kitchen knife and stab somebody…. are we allowed to also sue the kitchen utensil manufacturer for not ‘manufacturing responsibly’ …if so .. then ill guess we will all be eating with our hands again, because why would a company risk making a kitchen knife ever again.

in fact.. companies who make bricks n planks of wood n hammers n nails… yep shut up shop now, i mean if i kill somebody with your tools then ill sue you. Guess all manufacturing companies had best shut up shop now, n we can all live in holes in the ground. same goes for automobile manufacturers.

or.. if say i drink or take drugs,  then go out n commit crimes under the influence can i sue the alcohol manufacturer for making the spirits i got drunk on?

absolutely LUDICROUS to DARE talk about ‘acting responsibly’ and  then 1) ignoring the perptrator, and 2) talking about draconian measures like this. with stupidly huge knock on effects, all because of one person.

oh if i hit somebody, can i sue my mother and father for giving me the genetic code to make limbs n not giving it to me responsibly?

Mr.Tastix says:

Yup, when someone who breaks the law because they were stupid enough to reenact something from a video game. Something which is NOT REAL they can sue the company. Because we all know it was the company, in this case Rockstar and Take2, who made that guy kill that cabbie. Yup, it’s all Rockstar’s fault, they made the game so therefore they also told people to go kill random people.

WHAT ARE YOU F-ING STUPID?! I HOPE ROCKSTAR SUE YOUR ASS TO THE GROUND YOU BLOODY MORONS. Where the hell do you get your bloody screwed up ideas from, the back of a bag marked "Cocaine"?! Cause you must be taking some damn drug to think of something so UTTERLY RETARDED.

I hope Take2 and Rockstar wipe the floor with these morons. Wipe their floor like a MOP. Like a mop who just got owned in court.

— Joshua Smellie

Timbo2702 says:

I know that Thailand has a different legal system than the US… but this is beyond stupid, and impossible to implement unless companies set up shop in Thailand… Which I doubt will happen

– Tim Kowalenko

JB ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That’s just about one of the dumbest things I’ve read in a while… but then again I have friends that were deported from Thailand for teaching english. Apparently that’s illegal as well. Messed up country, that Thailand

NovaBlack. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

‘Prosecutions will automatically force game makers to act more responsibly.’

HAHAHAH sorry i couldnt help but laugh at the irony there.

A civilian kills somebody, yet this is designed to make the game MAKERS ‘act more responsibly’.

right… so no mention at all of making the actual person who committed the crime ‘act more responsibly’… in any way shape or form..

so.. waste money making hundreds of thousands of game makers ‘act more responsibly’ or waste about 0.00001% of the money on making the 1 in a billion ‘gamers’ who do act irresponsibly.

Surely thats like knocking down your house and rebuilding it from scratch just because there is patch on the living room wall that needs a single stroke of a brush with some white paint.

In fact no… its like knocking down the houses of the builders who built your house, because there is patch on the living room wall that needs a single stroke of a brush with some white paint. And it was you who missed the spot. not the builders. see it doesnt even make sense.

Coravin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I really hope you meant "old and decrepit", since I think "encrypted" or "cryptic" would be better choices.

….I’m not so sure these people comprehend law, people, leadership, crime and punishment, cause and effect…and they certainly haven’t checked up on their history, but that just makes it sound more like something our government would do, currently.  <sigh>

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

ops…  yeah… i was just blasting through it with firefox’s quick spell check… my bad….

and yeah… our government…  yeah…. and their government…  this whole world needs fixing….

JustChris says:

Well, that’s not fair. I might be teased for my weak drinking ability and it could be for somthing like genetics, which is out of my control :( Now I know it’s impossible to "train" to drink a lot.

GryphonOsiris says:

A valid point, however it’s not because of Jack we need to take the high road, but for those critics who actually listen to what the other side says that we need to put our best face forward. Jack will yell into the wind because it did something that offended him, but not bother to realize how rediculous his actions really are. Most others critics are much more sensible (of course, compared to Jack, a rapid dog can be said to have more sense), and most are also willing to debate instead of dictate.

The Good, the Bad, and Videogame"
    Reviews on the best, worst, and controversial issues of Videogames.

Anonymous says:

Yup, Jack posted and it got deleted, personally, I think, from reading the few cut and pastes below, that it was probably for the best, in a way.

Frankly, I think Jack owes Dennis a favour for removing it, because to say it was self-damaging propoganda would be an understatement.

Anonymous says:

Guys, guys! Mike is not Jack!…Or did Jack post and GP deleted it?…Anyways, the guy your replying under isn’t Jack! Direct your hatred elsewhere!

kurisu7885 (can't log in) says:

Slight hole in that logic. We can say absolutely nothing about JT in an article, but if an article is say, yhe Vtech shooting or this one, somwhow it’s all the proof he needs. We don’t nee to give him ammo, he’s happy enough to jam a stick in a gun barrel and call it a bullet.

IT doesn’t matter if we respond ot him or not, he’s already decided how he sees anyone who so much as walks near the game department at Walmart.

Anonymous says:

JT should not get involved overall, he ll make a complete ass of himself 4 the 100000000000000th time and he ll meke this copycat killing ALOT stupider than it actually is.

GryphonOsiris says:

I have a polite request for everyone:

Please stop sinking to JT’s level of petty insults, name calling, and death threats.

All it does is prove to him that he’s right, that we’re all murders waiting to snap, and that he is a persecuted martyr on his way to salvation. Our argument is based on the fact than an intelligent, mature individual  is not converted into a blood thirsty homicidal maniac with the addition of an M rated video game. By acting like a lynch mob we undo the image that we wish to portray of socially acceptable individuals and become nothing more the stereotyped net lurkers foaming at the mouth waiting to troll at the slightest thing.

We may have the stronger argument, but simple fact is in order to show the rest of the world that we are the better man/woman in this argument we actually have to ack like it, lest those mentally compitent critics may use this unruly behavior against us.

Just my 2 cents.

"The Good, the Bad, and Videogame"
    Reviews on the best, worst, and controversial issues of Videogames.

Anonymous says:

I joined this topic way too late.  Most of what I wanted to say has already said short of WTF.  I’m really surprised that JT jumped in on this (and yet at the same time I’m not).  I’m only surprised because I figured that he’d be busy with other stuff…

So if no one from T2 or R* shows up at the hearing I guess that will make Thailand really really angry, and they’ll retailiate by wrting them a letter letting them know how angry they are.  It would be really funny if Thailand said something in the nature of "Hey you guys can’t come here any more!", and the afforementioned companies said "um, okay"

Adamas Draconis says:

quick offtopic side note. Do you know why beer and wine was the main beverages for thousands of years? Because until realitively recently it was safer then the damn water. Just a small educational break, just for the hell of it

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Mike ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Welcome to Thailand:

Proposed penalties for game makers is a lawsuit for making people act violently. Penalties for drug traffickers are severe prison sentences or even death.

Way to go Somchai Jaroen-amnuaysuk of the Welfare Promotion, Protection and Empowerment of Vulnerable Groups Office…appreciate the irony of the name of that governmental agency.

E. Zachary Knight says:

A Tip from your friendly neighborhood moderator:

If you post gets flagged as spam, don’t keep posting it in hopes that it will go through. I will catch it and release it.

Thanks for the contribution.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page:
    Facebook Page:

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Anonymous says:

One person getting killed is not that big of a deal. Murders happen all the time. I actually think its quite funny that everyone is going fucking insane over one murder.

Ben ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Sorry about my immature post guys. I let my emotions get the best of me that time. In a way, by succumbing to petty insults, Im no better than Thompson. So I just want to make a point to be better than him by apologizing to all of you for my foolish actions.

Mike ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The esteemed Somchai Jaroen-amnuaysuk of the Welfare Promotion, Protection and Empowerment of Vulnerable Groups Office should look to taken even further steps to curb the flourishing sex/slave trade in Thailand before making outlandish statements to stir up public sentiment for a proposal that would be completely unfeasible in the first place.

There are SEVERE penalties for trafficking in narcotics in Thailand include decades in prison or even the death penalty, and apparently someone thinks you should be able to sue game manufacturers for unproveable causal links between content and criminal activity. Meanwhile here are the penalties for HUMAN TRAFFICKING:

The 1997 Prevention and Suppression of Trafficking in Women and Children Act criminalize trafficking for sexual exploitation. Penalties range from imprisonment for a year to life and fines of $50 to $1000.  Penalties for trafficking of children between the age of 15 to 18 range from 3 to 15 years of imprisonment and a fine. Penalties for trafficking children under the age of 15 ranges from five to 20 years of imprisonment and a fine. 13  Male victims are not included in the victim protection provision of Thai laws for trafficking. There are no laws that criminalize labor trafficking and the trafficking of men.

Promotion, Protection and Empowerment of Vulnerable Groups? Time w.

Anonymous says:

I blame Egypt, Norway and several other countries for inventing the stuff in the first place, and think we should get together a massive class-action suit against any country that claims to have invented an alcoholic beverage for every single crime that has ever been commited whilst under the influence of alcohol, because it is obviously their fault. 😉

What ever happened to being a man and taking responsibility for your actions? God damnit, stop trying to kill off personal senses of justice and responsibility with this scapegoat bullshit.

-Entertainment isn’t the reason the world sucks. It’s the reason we know the world sucks. For information on games and psychology, look up: Jonathan Freedman(2002)Block & Crain(2007)Grand Theft Childhood, by Harvard researchers Larry Kutner&Cheryl Olson

Ghost Coins says:

So, a bit of digging and here is what I have found:

1)  He robbed the cabbie because his parents could not afford to give him more money to feed his cyber cafe gaming habit (desperate financial situation, and submissive parents that, for all intents and purposes, seem to simply take care of their son).  He was aggrivated by said problem, and robbed an older cabbie to get money for more time.

I would like to point out that this speaks volumes about how the young man was raised, work ethic, etc, and is signifigantly more important from a legal standpoint than the fact that he mentioned GTA while he was being arrested.

2)  The officals have yet to release the record of what he actually played at said cafe (government cover up of a royal cock up).

I find it difficult to believe that any police officer in Thailand, let alone anywhere else in the world, would not be capable of seeing past the ‘video games’ defense.  The parents testimony is rot at best, and I have a feeling the international community will be hard pressed to hear more about this young mans playing habits now that they, being the governing body of Thailand, have basically thrown the collective weight of the Thai variants of Mr. Thompson and the PTC onto the blame GTA bandwagon.

Honestly, I would love to hear that he spent all his time in cyber cafes playing my magic pony online, Maple Story, or Ragnarok Online.  Oh, how priceless it would be to see them spin that.

As for the massacres and blood Mr. Thompson promised, well we have a cab robbery gone wrong in a country known for economic problems and street crime, and a young man who thought that he could save his own ass by blaming a popular form of media.  He, by the sounds of things, is still going to get the death penalty regardless of the GTA defense, so a lesson to all those who intend to commit crimes.  Act batshit crazy if caught instead of referencing GTA.  You might actually get the charges dropped and you simply have to hang out in a padded room for a few years vice a concrete room with a man far bigger, and who was rather lonely, until you arrived.

Just hit up the gaming dungeon to read more on the "Tragedy" and I am irked about the freewheeling tossing about of the word "tragedy", but that is for later.  Reports mentioned that he referred to GTA IV during the arrest, but a body on here mentioned that GTA IV has not been offically released in Thailand as of yet.  Furthermore, again mentioned in The Gaming Dungeon (and from a spot of personal experience over seas), the market for pirated games and movies is huge over there.  Coupled with the lack of a ratings system (Thailand has no such system in place) and a massive underground criminal body that makes ILLEGAL copies of material to distribute for pennies on the dollar one whould think that they would focus on these to prevent an 18-19 year old (the ages are getting scrambled based on the report I read) from purchasing a game that should be played only by adults.  Or, look at the logical conclusion that everyone who reads that last sentence is going to come to, and kick themselves for this tomfoolery.

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful. Edward R. Murrow

Chadius ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

At best, this will simply ban videogames from local sales in Thailand and kill their industry.

At worst, this will exist for more than a week. Two weeks maybe?

Zevorick says:

There’s really more to that when it comes to alcohol or drugs. Genetic predispositions make people (statistically) 4x more likely to become an addict if a member of their immediate family has, or has had, drug dependence issues. Believe it or not the vast majority of people can use drugs recreationally, quit using, and never pick them up again. This, of course, does not include highly addictive substances such as opiates and nicotine which can make practically anyone an addict with a few uses.

The more research done on addictions of all kind, be it drugs, gambling, sex, or video games, the more we realize that genetics does play a role in creating predispositions to certain substances or behaviors. The same is being revealed to be true with violence and media.

If a child has a predisposition to violence, high suggestibility, PARENTS have to get involved and heavily monitor the media their children take in. There is absolutely no way around it. It’s hard work, time consuming, thankless, and arduous, but it’s the safety of your child AND those around them.

They used to say Psychology was all about pushing away personal responsibility with society saying "get over it". Now it appears to be reversed. Funny.

Vinzent ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

There won’t be any extradition. The companies will be convicted without having to be present. Then they will be fined. The Thia government is doing this for money. They’ll shout and holler and stamp their feet. But at most all they can do is put trade restrictions on american goods until we pay their blackmail money.

wiregr says:

The real problem here is the lack of personal responsibility. With all the bad press about "oh noes, everyone who plays gta will kill exactly 13.275 prostitutes", criminals are given a pretty easy scapegoat. It gives them the option of claiming "I didn’t do it, GTA made me, I’m totally innocent, so put Take-Two in jail instead". And people like JT who blame video games for all the ills of society (even the ones that predate any sort of electronic entertainment whatsoever) are just encouraging this nonsense. They’re giving criminals a way to excuse their behavior and take attention away from the crime by shifting the blame to those with deeper pockets.

Killian Kalthorne says:

Video games can influence behavior but it is up to the individual on how much influence a game has one him or her.  If a person is particularly weak willed then a video game will have a stronger influence on him or her, but is that the fault of the developer or publisher?  No, it is not.  Each individual needs to take personal responsibility for his or her own actions.  The Monkey See-Monkey Do behavior is not a defense.  This murderer chose to be a murderer.  Was his actions influenced by GTA4, possibly, but that does not make GTA4 nor its developers and publishers responsible because the murderer chose to be influenced by GTA4 in such a manner.

Also on the issue of minors, I do agree, and I think we all do agree on this, that games like GTA4 should not be played by minors.  However these types of games are not marketed for minors, and the developers and publishers, along with the ESRB have clearly marked these types of games with a Mature rating so that those who purchase such games know that the game is not intended for minors.  If a parent or sales clerk sell or buy the game for a minor the sales clerk and/or parent is responsible for they chose to act in such a manner.  It is not the fault of developers nor publishers that these games get into the hands of minors, but those who sell and purchase them for children.

What Jack Thompson and similar folks fail is that they do not take into account of personal responsibility.  We are sentient beings and we choose what has influence on us and what does not.  We have a personal responsibility and accountability for our own actions.  GTA4 and other violent games do not create murderers.  Murderers create themselves.

Miang ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You know it’s articles like this that make me want to get every gamer in the world to buy a crate of kewpie dolls. Every time we see someone acting this stupid each of us would send that person 1 kewpie doll with our regards. I wonder how long it would take these people to a) get the point and b) realize they are (at least in america) alienating an actual constituency.

Anonymous says:

Yup, basic kangaroo fundraising. I don’t see the FTC backing down to this though, it’s too much of a slippery slope, and Thailand is too dependent on trade to enforce restrictions, besides which, considering the quantity of Black Market goods that get through their borders, they need all the legal trade they can get.

Basically, if the FTC agreed to this, then Thailand could blame the next crime on a movie, or another game, and continue attempting to fundraise, and if the FTC don’t comply, Take Two could sue them for singling them out, they’d be between a rock and a hard place, so I don’t expect this to be anything more than hot air, there might be a hearing, there might even be a fine, but I suspect it will never, ever get paid.

Grendal says:

Also it should be noted that since that diagnosing mental illness is not an easy thing, especially since no matter how severe your particular flavor of mental illness is you still will have moments of lucidity where you are totally indistinguishable from everyone else. That’s why it took a couple years for me to actually get treatment for depression and mood cycling. Yeah when I was alone I was a total mess, but I could be completely normal and very charming for short periods, at least until I tried to off myself. It is especially bad since your diagnosis is only as good as your psychiatrist, so get a crappy psych and you could wind up misdiagnosed.

Of course I would like to avoid being shot or institutionalized so maybe I’m biased.

Ed ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

"not to be a prick"

Everything that follows that statement, and your other posts, reveal you to be the "prick" you say you don’t want to be.

You advocate the death penalty for the mentally ill (eugenics, anyone), pre-emptive incarceration, not to mention your complete lack of empathy for the parents of the killer (hey, maybe they DID seek help but it was ineffective – who knows?).

If you really don’t want to be a prick, think a little more before you type.

Dark Sovereign says:

Tell you what. I’ll back down if you can give me a coherent arguement, legal, moral, societal, and constitutional, on why the government should be allowed to put me to death for my introversion, which is usually the only "sign" that a crazy will give that they will murder someone.

Dark Sovereign says:

Everybody has a mental illness of some kind. Usually it’s a phobia. As Cho was over 18, he is legally classified as an ADULT, and should be treated as an ADULT. The law has no right to be proactive. It may only incarcerate and force treatment as a reaction. It is IMPOSSIBLE to know how somebody is going to act, or if they are going to snap.

And you just encouraged exactly the type of eugenics Hitler practiced. Good job. Cho was not schizophrenic, and there was no way to know that he was not taking his meds.

Now, Cho was charged with stalking, and should have been confined, which he was, until he was no longer a danger to himself, which he was upon outpatient treatment. That’s where the issue came in. What you just recommended is that the government round me up and kill me based on my history of depression.

Father Time says:

Be careful with that ‘look for warning signs and send them to mental hospitals’ way of thiking.

If there is a greater pressure to find and hospitalize insane individuals before they ‘snap’ the odds of them nabbing someone who isn’t insane increases. On a different webiste I read posts from a guy who said he was wrongfully admitted. It wasn’t pretty.

Dark Sovereign says:

He was an adult and made an adult decision. Forcing somebody to stay in a mental hospital when they haven’t committed a crime is essentially government kidnapping. It should never be allowed. Ever.

DeepThorn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Vtech killer never played video games.  Even more so, he scuffed at people who did, and he was extremely screwed up on the head and should have been forced into treatment by courts, but he slipped between the cracks of the system.

My point is more so leaning on the fact that video games are only a minor influence, and psychological treatment could counteract any type of minor influence.  While there are people with more severe issues, some of which play video games, that should be taken out of society.

I personally have a beef against the board of psychology.  There are many unqualified psychologists out there that are allowed to practice, but have no more ability or knowledge on how to help people with psychological problems than a high school student that only took one class in psychology. (There is a story behind that statement, but I rant too much the way it is.)

I guess if psychologists are going to fail people, and parents are going to fail half of the time.  Then we are pretty much screwed.  As sick as it is to try to find a bright side to the whole ordeal, at least it keeps the population of the world from growing even faster.

sheppy says:

Cho’s (Vtech killer) parents saw the signs, gave him treatment, paid his mental health bills, hospitalized him, in essence, did everything they could to prevent his madness from taking victims.  It was as Cho entered college and started refusing treatment that he went down that darker path.  Same thing with the Chicago college killer on Vday last year.  Blame the parents can only go so far.  In many cases, the parents did what they could.

Frankly, considering he chose his victim and showed skills beyond what is shown in the game (ie: You can kill someone in GTA just by slicing their hand a lot) and premeditation, it’s about time we start calling a spade a spade.  This was a PERSONAL decision so the PERSON should be held responsible.  No more, no less.

DeepThorn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You havent met the people I have then.  There are many people in this world that should be forced to stay in a mental hospital/mentally ill community.  Due to how our government is set up, that isnt possible.  There are people who are schizophrenic that join cults, hear voices and have attempted murder (The case I am thinking about here, the guy was in jail for 6 months with no psychological treatment.), and many other situations.  This guy clearly had problems and should have been not only court ordered to have to stay in jail, but also should have been put on a list of people who are to never be allowed to own a gun.

That wasnt an adult making an adult decision, that was a mentally ill person making a deadly decision that should have never came to be.  In all honesty, it would be safest to kill people like him after testing to ensure he does have problems, because people with his kind of problems and schizophrenia quit taking their meds because their illness tells them they dont need them anymore because they are doing better and they dont realize that they will only stay that way if they stay on their meds.

Meaning killing or permit confinement are the only 2 answers, and not to be a prick, but a 10 cent bullet (which shooting someone in the head should be an allowed death penalty), is a hell of a lot cheaper than the later.  Have a family member like that, I understand what the family would go through if death was the law, but that is a hell of a lot less painful and stressing than keeping these types of people alive.

Grendal says:

One of my biggest questions here is, would this even work? I mean can you sue a company that is not based in your country and doesn’t have any offices there. I mean if there are offices of games companies in Thailand then I guess maybe they could be sued, but would Thai law have jurisdiction over European or Japanese or American companies? The whole idea behind this law makes absolutely no sense to me. the worst they could do would be to not allow certain games classification or impose heavy taxes on certain publishers right? I just don’t understand in any way how this could work.

Anonymous says:

Ok, so if prosecuting game developers for copycat violence forced developers to ‘act more responsibly’ exactly what kind of games would we be left with? Barbie Horse training adventures, Hello Kitty, and Let’s be Friends, a game where you walk around a vast city and say hi to people and exchange phone numbers?

This reminds me of back in the day when Walmart censored Duke Nukem 3D. The box said that ‘all violent content" had been removed. How exactly do you remove the violent content out of a game that is all about violent content?! What does that leave you with?! Did you run around as Duke giving high fives to the enemies?!

Teran499 says:

What a load of shit. So next time someone robs a bank and uses a Ford Mustang to escape and hits someone, Ford shoud be sued? How about the next time someone cuts someone hand off with a sword. Should George Lucas be sued since it happened in Star Wars?

Father Time says:

" Games don’t have the ability to tell people, "hey, kill that person""

Well actually they do but ‘that person’ is usually someone in the game.

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Thailand is one of the most backwoods countries in the world.  So far behind and yet proclaiming to be on the cutting edge in all things.

The submissiveness of the residents to authority is eye-opening.  Its a completely different culture from that of North America.  It is also very hard to understand it.

I’ll tell you this though – if that Thai King said it was wrong to play GTA, most of that country would stop playing it.

Tarosan says:

Let me easily help you lot out here… he’s threatened millions of American gamers and International gamers with a legit death threat… take him to the cleaners, he’s gone too far now.

Tarosan says:

I was hoping for an email or an easier form but that also means that anyone on here can send this complaint over to the Florida Bar and give Jack Thompson a headache

MG ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

JT, if you want everyone who posted on Gamepolitics to recive the death penalt, Ok do you want lethal injection, hanging, or a seat on Old Sparky? Don’t forget John, you have posted here as well.

All you are is a little person that wants a big amount of attention, just like The Riddler, one of Batman’s rouges.

To Thailand, you guys need to blame the guy not the game. Games don’t have the ability to tell people, "hey, kill that person"

Anonymous says:

I don’t think you can ban someone if they post anonymously. You can delete the post, but you can’t ban the poster if they don’t have an account.

But please don’t stop letting people post anonymously, GP! I enjoy posting without signing onto something I’m not 100% sure about. Maybe sometime in the future, I’ll get an account. But not right now.

Fallenone ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That won’t be proven in court. You can never prove if someone was actually "influnced" by a game to commit a crime. Someone can say it till the day they die, but in reality, they’re just lying to the world (and probably themselves). Games, movies, music, drawings, and art in any form does not influnce someone to pull a trigger or stab with a knife. A human being always makes the final decision in every case.

Pug says:

This is just daft, the man hasn’t even been tried yet… he’s guilty as sin by all accounts, but whether he was influenced by a game will surely be proven/disproven during a trial.

This goes back to, do we therefore prosecute the store he bought the knives from? or the place he was playing the game?

Plus before the killing, it was perfectly legal to distribute the game in Thailand… how on earth can you prosecute a company for making and distributing something that was legal? had it been illegal, and it could be proven that it caused the crime, I would concede their point…

Fuck off Thailand, we don’t have to take shit from you.

Oh, and on a side note, Jack, if we’re all psychopathic nutjobs who, according to you, know where you live, maybe you should shut the fuck up. Just sayin’.

TBoneTony ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

listen one minute…

and think carefully…

YOU are not responsible for actions of other people who you have no control over…

Videogame Developers are NOT responsible for the actions of individuals who copycat videogame violence…

Anonymous says:

GTA does not condone violence either, and let me correct by saying that while the whole church overall has means for the good of humanity, lets not forget the several scandals we had the past decade…

and even so, the church has not always be successful about getting throught to people.

Much the same, if someone were to see, hear or read something that aspires them to take on a bloodbath, its more of a individual responsibilty, not a; "Oh my god, that piece of S*&! video game made him do it!!!"

Look up the crusades people!!!

Anonymous says:

Because there are no passages in the bible that encourage violence . None. At all. And churches have never done anything violent or been anything but a positive influence on people.

Anomalous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

HAY, HAY.

Does it strike you guys that the kid was probably playing a pirated copy instead on an original one? I mean, if he was, then shouldn’t the Thai government be blamed for it? Afterall, smuggling huge amounts of stuff wouldn’t be possible if the officers don’t accept bribes.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Besides, what can Thailand do? "Give us money, you made bad games"

R*: "No."

And everyone can agree that the US wouldn’t give in to these imbeciles.

Anonymous says:

Not really, they import their games, therefore they are responsible for their own borders. If the game is in their country it is either because they said it was ok, or because they unable to police their own borders. In either case, Rockstar are not responsible for that, so, as far as I’m aware, no, they cannot sue Rockstar for making the game any more than they could sue Mel Gibson for making ‘Passion of the Christ’.

Vake ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Can they do that? Prosecute, or in this case Persecute, a company or person in another country? A country that (supposedly) believes in freedom of: Speech, Press, Art, and Expression. Shouldn’t our constitution protect them from political terrorism like this?

DeepThorn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Very good and well detailed point.  Kudos…

I also wanted to apologies for my lame typing skills and tying lease instead of learn.

GryphonOsiris says:

Simple, everything he says becomes damning evidence against him for the Florida Bar’s Case. In other words, he’s is the reason why his career is "EPIC FAIL!"

"The Good, the Bad, and Videogame"
    Reviews on the best, worst, and controversial issues of Videogames.

hayabusa75 says:

So what the hell’s it going to take to get Jack banned again around here?  He can come on here and wish death on all the other posters and get away with it?  Yeah, I know his original post got deleted but I’ve seen plenty of people over the last couple of years receive the ban stick or at least a stern warning for less than that, me being one of them in my earlier days.  I know he’s a major personality on this site, but where’s the line in the sand?  Is there one?

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

Benji says:

I’m all for allowing him if he’s willing to offer meaningful input, but I’m also willing to say that him arguing in favor of all of us receiving capital punishment is grounds for banning.

Also, it’s questionable whether any of this can potentially matter in his bar trial.  He isn’t posting here in any sort of official lawyer capacity, and being an enormous douchebag in your personal life is probably not grounds for disbarment.  Yeah, he’s all full of legal threats, but they aren’t directed at us and I’m not sure there’s a bar rule against that, either.

Dark Sovereign says:

Every church in the nation would declare that you had had barely any contact with the Bible. You should read up on the religion you’re trying to lambast next time.

Shoehorn O'Plenty ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

What if I went out and crucified some prostitutes and stabbed them in the side, then claimed that I thought they were sinners and the Bible taught me that this you should do with them? They’d put me away and throw away the key, calling me crazy. But play a video game these days…

Father Time says:

I’m going to go back in time and kill that god damn guy before he murders the cab driver. I’ll say the stupidity of the Thai government made me do it.

Visc says:

As someone who has never posted on a Thompson related article until now, can someone give me all the necessary info on this idiot’s proposal for sentencing posters here to death? I perceive his comment as a threat on my life and wish to report him to his local authorities as such. Thank you.

Kincyr says:

I agree. Although to be PC, he worded it in a way so that he wouldn’t be affected by saying gamers who post here (though it would be ironic if his son posted here once since he is a gamer too).

岩「…Ace beats Jack」

Zevorick says:

I’m working on my Masters in Clinical Psychology and my main focus is addiction. It’s funny that we hold addicts, who are brought to a state of hysteria and paranoia that they commit heinous crimes because of the substances they ingest, more and more accountable because, after all, it is a personal choice to take the drug inthe first  place; yet we are becoming more and more socially accepting of the notion that video games can be used as a defense in criminal trials.

Put down the crack pipe and pick up a video game controller Jimmy, your civil liberty depends on it.

Bottom line, this won’t fly. The US won’t extradite them, and it is doubtful any European nation with half a brain cell will either. It’s just easier for them to forbid their product from going into the Thailand market. That way when it does get there, and it will, it won’t be there fault, but that of the black market dealer… oh wait. On second thought that won’t work. That requires common sense!

Anon says:

Nothing is going to come of this, its a big waste of time. Jack you’re a pathetic loser who does not know anything about law. If there is a God you are going to Hell when you die. Yeah that about sums it up.

mogbert says:

Does no one else think it is funny that the country that agrees most with JT is Thailand? Maybe he should consider converting to Buddhism? I’m sure the monarchy is all about Freedom. And hey, they change their constitutions so often that JT can add in whatever he wants next time it comes around.

As for the actual story, I think that if they implement this then parents should also be shot if their children murder anyone. For that matter, so should their Preist/other religious figure.

I find it interesting that the same argument that SAVES this from happening in America, the "chilling effect", is the argument FOR it in Thailand. Perhaps JT has found a summer vacation spot… probably somewhere near the red light district.

Arashi says:

Seriously, my mind boggles at the stupidity of it all.  Also, you think the United States would really allow that to happen?  My bet is NO.

JustChris says:

Among other things, not much planning is seemingly put into figuring out the logistics involved with enforcing this law.

Put loosely in another way, they want Take Two to be like an insurance agency that pays out benefits to people or families of people that got injured/killed by a gamer. Insurance is a transfer of risk after all, and this law proposal revolves around this concept.

Hooray, let’s waste more government spending on a law that will have negative marginal returns! Who cares if it’s only to further our agenda….government should help itself, not the people! :O

DeepThorn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Bonus Points  +5

Exactly, they not only gave birth to him, they raised him, and if he was unstable enough to do this, then his parents should have noticed and should have seeked help for him.

DeepThorn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You stole the words right out of my mouth…  These people need to lease cause and effect, because from the research I have done, it seems that people with issues play violent video games, not that violent video games create people with issues.

Keith K says:

I laugh at the very notion of Thailand prosuming to have the ability to prosecute North American and European game developers.

Stick to what you know Thailand, child prostitution.

jadedcritic says:

UG – 2 to 1 Jack’s on this thread as soon as he sees it. I honestly don’t think we have much to worry about.  Put another way, I realize I’m not a lawyer, but isn’t there such a thing as burden of proof?  Innocent until proven guilty?  I don’t know about Thailand, but it seems to me that something like this would be exceedingly hard to prosecute.

SwissCM ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

"Prosecutions will automatically force game makers to act more responsibly."

More like it will automatically force game makers (and software companies in general) to never conduct any business in Thailand, causing damage to their IT industry.

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m confused.  I mean, is this like the first ever copyright murder/crime ever to happen in Thailand?  Like, no one in that country ever did a copycat crime after reading a book, seeing a movie or T.V. show, or heck, by emulating a real murderer or criminal?  I’m just wondering if there was such a case before, did they go about suing the respective author, movie/T.V. studio, or criminal and his family in this same manner?

Father Time says:

"Prosecutions will automatically force game makers to act more responsibly."

Yeah just like prosecuting citizens who break the law forces them to act more responsibly which is why there are no repeat offenders ever.

Oh wait

But this is BEYOND stupid, I sincerely hope that innocent until proven guilty is also in Thailand and if it is good luck proving anything.

So the guy said GTA made him do it. Does he have proof? Are you going to take his word for it just becaus eyou want that to be true or are you going to do your damn job and look for proof? If I kill a friend of yours and say that I did it only because my next door neighbor blackmailed me and threatened to kill my dog, would you instantly arrest my neighbor and prosecute him or would you demand that I show evidence (if you selected option 1 then you really should consider living in ye olde Salem).

Anyone can claim the game made me do it without showing evidence. I can drive my car on the sidewalk and claim Crazy Taxi made me do it. I can ram small cars off the road with a truck and say Burnout made me do it, or I can strap missiles to my car and blow up other cars claiming that Twisted Metal made me do it.

Or I could join the mob and say that the Godfather game and Yakuza made me do it. Or I could snipe the head of Thailand and say a combination of Hitman and JFK reloaded made me do it.

Anyway if I were a game devloper I would fight every case with all my legal might and if that didn’t work I would sell games that insulted and mocked the Thai government endlessly.

But think about it for a second, would this new law apply for games not sold in the country that had to be imported? If it did then Thailand could sue pretty much anyone. (A scary thought).

I sincerely hope this guy is not listened to.

JustChris says:

A Thai friend I know is a big fan of old school fighters. He even makes amateur fight movies. Luckily for him he lives in the US….or perhaps he’s not so lucky. Maybe Thailand’s long arm of the law is able to reach him!!!

Anonymous says:

Interesting to note, if we are allowed to hold an organisation responsible for what common gossip, rumour and scaremongering claim is true, and if that organisation can automatically be assumed to be deliberately supporting anything that occurs on their watch, even if it is only gossip..

I am so calling for the extradition of Thailands’ politicians for being part of a vast Pedophilia ring in that case.

Dedre says:

Wow…so if I or anyone ends up cutting up a strapped-down cop and then setting him on fire, can Tarantino be prosecuted if "stuck in the middle with you" plays in the background?