Rockstar’s Sam Houser: An Honor to Be Hated by Critics

Develop has a terrific interview with Rockstar Games’ co-founder Sam Houser who dishes about the direction of the company and offers his reaction to critics:

I think we probably read most of [the criticism] – if you turn on a computer this stuff reaches you, usually forwarded by an old friend laughing at you.

No [I don’t pay attention to critics] – I think [he and brother Dan] are both depressed at how boring we really are and how unexciting even the worse fabrications and exaggerations are when you read about them. None of it seems very rock and roll…

Most of the people who hate us are people it is truly an honor to be hated by – reactionary creeps with strange agendas – and the Daily Mail.  Most people who know about modern pop culture know about GTA and like or dislike it on its own merits.

doewnskitty says:

If anything, I’d say Houser’s comments are more simply the fact that the more he puts himself out and his work to the public, the more the public will scrutinize him as an individual in relation to his output.  It reminds me of something Humphrey Bogart apparently once said, about him being unashamed and unabashed about his fondness for good, strong drink and how it impacts his "image" as an actor:

“People who live in glass houses need ear plugs and a sense of humor,” he said. “When I chose to be an actor I knew I’d be working in the spotlight. I also knew that the higher a monkey climbs the more you can see of his tail. So I keep my sense of humor and go right on leading my life and enjoying it. I wouldn’t trade places with anybody.”

And that’s really just it.  The simplest way to not be judged by others is to never matter enough to warrant others to pass judgment.

Icehawk says:

I dont know.  I mean not giving into reactionist hype?  Not hating or even much caring if there are some that do not like you or your product?  Having an adult view of something akin to reality?

Next methinks R* will be hated for not hating.

Though note a fish will live a great deal longer if it does not rise to the bait.

Anonymous says:

He’s right to a certain degree, but if he’d said ‘President Bush don’t care about poor people’, he’d have been bang on the mark 😉

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

I don’t think Kayne West is anywhere near "down." In a market where a rap act that sell six figures is doing great, Mr. West sells seven figures. Of course, he obniosly can’t help but say what’s on his mind and don’t ever know when to shut up, but that’s almost to be admired, I believe. It’s what allows him to say, live on national T.V., "President Bush don’t care about Black people." Which, of course, is 100% true and something that needed to be said post-Katrina but which very few would get on live, national T.V. and say.

And it’s a different kettle of fish than that prancing idiot, P. Diddy. Or Puff Daddy. Or Puffy. Or whatever he’s calling himself nowadays. Coombs says whatever pops into his head. Kanye speaks from his heart.

Internet Hate Machine ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I believe one of the Internet Rules state: The more you hate something, the stronger it gets.

Then again that comment came about during the DESU conflicts that /b/ suffered a few years back, so take it as you wish.

Anonymous says:

Lets’ face it, Jack Thompson hates anyone who doesn’t think he’s the greatest thing since sliced bread, or who dares question his view of the world, so he doesn’t really count.

As for the rest, I don’t think they so much ‘hate’ the writers of Violent Games, they are simply frustrated because they thought they would be a nice easy target for censorship, that they could use to scare the public, and it didn’t work out as planned, that’s why places like the PTC are so vehement nowadays, they can feel the power they were hoping to gain from this slipping through their fingers, and they are desperately trying to scare people about Video Games in the hope of clinging on to it.

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

how West acts is what brings him down…  just like diddy, you act like an idiot, people are going to talk to you and treat you like an idiot…

JackDon'tKnowJack says:

"There’ll always be haters, that’s just the way it is. Hater brothas marry hater sistas and they have hater kids." — Kayne West, "Bring Me Down"

DeepThorn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It was me everyone, I am sorry…  haha j/k

They should make a vote for, should religion be ridded from the US and see if they get someone to vote yes, haha.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

There was 1 vote in Congress against going to war with Japan in late 1941. Even the most obvious and sensible things will have those that are against it.

Jack Wessels says:

The funny thing is, this sounds like JT’s "I don’t need any more friends, I have plenty of them (yeah right), all I ask for is more stupid enemies."

Though, in Houser’s case, it doesn’t sound like a 3 year old trying to rationalize everyone hating him.

-"A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject." -Sir Winston Churchill