EA’s Peter Moore Not a Fan of Draconian Tactics vs. File Sharers

Speaking at GCDC in Leipzig, EA exec Peter Moore said he did not favor the heavy-handed approach to file sharing embraced by five U.K. game publishers this week.

As GamePolitics reported yesterday, Atari, Codemasters and three smaller firms said they would demand £300 from 25,000 people alleged to be file-sharers. Those who fail to pay will be sued in court. A U.K. woman found guilty of sharing a PC pinball game recently was ordered to pay publisher Topware Interactive £16,086.

gamesindustry.biz reports on Moore’s comments:

[Suing consumers] didn’t work for the music industry. I’m not a huge fan of trying to punish your consumer. Albeit these people have clearly stolen intellectual property, I think there are better ways of resolving this within our power as developers and publishers.

Yes, we’ve got to find solutions. We absolutely should crack down on piracy. People put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into their content and deserve to get paid for it. It’s absolutely wrong, it is stealing.

But at the same time I think there are better solutions than chasing people for money. I’m not sure what they are, other than to build game experiences that make it more difficult for there to be any value in pirating games.

If we learned anything from the music business, they just don’t win any friends by suing their consumers. Speaking personally, I think our industry does not want to fall foul of what happened with music.

GP: Kudos to Peter Moore for having the brass to take a stand against the consumer-hatin’ tactics of Atari, Codemasters, Topware, Reality Pump and Techland.

Let’s hope that Ken Doroshow is paying attention.

desperad0 says:

Thanks good job;

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing travesti or little and need to start saving costs. and dizi izle

Now I don’t have to get off my ass for the important shit anymore!

Whats next, ordering pizza from Xbox live?

Wait… I think that sounds like a good idea.

But I think voting should MAKE you get off your ass, and see outside or a second while you go vote. I mean, your picking the president of the United States of America for God’s Sake… least you can do is drive down there and punch out a card.

oto kirlama says:

Nintendo is indeed selling SOME of these on the Virtual Console but not even close to all of them. While i agree in part to his piracy he was filling a market that Nintendo failed to recognize. Maybe someone doesnt want to buy a Wii. maybe they just want a console with 50 – 100 NES games on them?? maybe just maybe?

but no Nintendo wants everyone araba kiralama to buy the Wii. thats their excuse but thats not what copyright is supposed to protect. i am real sure that the makers of 10 yard fight were losing sleep because they were missing out on their $0.00025 worth because they didnt get royalties from this player. *smirk*

my question is, should Super Mario Bros. be banned from public domain forever? isnt 23 years enough time for Nintendo to have made their profits?

If you have followed the Steamboat Willie case regarding Mickey Mouse you can rest in your bed well at night knowing that the MOUSE will still be under copyright law, away from public domain after your great grandchildren are in nursing homes. That is beyond ridiculous dont you think??

Gallagher can araç kiralama say all he wants, but I strongly rent a car believe it’s due to his crappy leadership and E3 being a joke. ESA’s Board of Directors need to find a way to get out rent a car of this horrid contract with this Bush cronie before there’s no one left on the Board.

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing ttnet vitamin or little and need to start saving costs.

Now I don’t have to get off my ass for the important shit anymore!

Whats next, ordering pizza from Xbox live?

Wait… I think that sounds like a good idea.

SJ0 says:

These companies are all very very very very very stupid.

Here’s the thing. As a consumer, I will purchase a game if it adds value to the experience of having the game.

Personally, that often means I’ll purchase a game if it gives me some of the following:

1. A warm and fuzzy feeling for doing the right thing.

2. A permenant medium to allow me to play a game without having to seek it out.

3. The knowledge that I can just put the disk into my drive and play.

So, here’s the thing.

I don’t get a warm and fuzzy feeling for giving companies that sue their customers money. I’m not going to do it. That means I won’t buy a game from Atari, Codemasters, et. al. based on principles.

I don’t get a permenant medium to allow me to play a game without having to seek it out. Simply having the CD isn’t enough anymore. You need a billion asinine codes that inevitably get lost because for some stupid reason they’re not printed on the CD. I’ve never had to worry about whether a pirated game would work, but most of the PC games I have simply don’t work. I’ve got games I haven’t even played that I’ll never get to now, because even though I’ve got the CD, I don’t have the CD keys!

Finally, the pirated version vs. the legit version has had a swap of places in recent years. It used to be, the real version would always work, and the pirated version would be dodgy. Now, however, the roles are reversed. I haven’t had a pirated game not work for me for ages, but the real games are so filled with copy protection, that they don’t run a reasonably large portion of the time, whether it’s because they ask for the CD/DVD when they clearly don’t need it, or because their gay copy protection has broken something, or because I lost the code and can’t play it anymore!

The gaming industry needs to step up and stop destroying the value of buying a game! I’m going to stop buying them if there’s no good reason to buy them anymore!

Christopher ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have a hard time respecting Moore’s comments when his company adopts a policy of treating all customers as pirates anyways.  As a direct result of EA’s decisions with regard to their PC DRM, I (who have never pirated a game in the past) have now stooped to pirating every game EA produces for PC henceforth.  I will still pay for the games, but the fact of the matter is that their DRM refuses to function on my machine and instead of arguing with them (I argued with their support service for almost 2 months on Mass Effect and got no productive help, but instead an impressive amount of blame-shifting), I will now pirate their games.  All of them.  And every time I do so, I will pray that EA’s stock dives and they go bankrupt due to the way they treat their paying customers.

Owning all of the good IP’s means nothing if you refuse to pay them the respect they deserve.

Oz says:

Thats supprising considering he came form Microsoft who love to threaten to sue people that DONT use their IP.

Current console protections are adequate and a little bit too protective. Services like WiiWare and Virtual Console, there isn’t much really there to help you transfer your games from one system to another (i.e. if one breaks) and even Xbox Live Arcade, you need to be signed into the account just to play them on a new console (so unless your new 360 after your old one red ringed) if you take your 360 somewhere that doesn’t have an internet connection, your screwed. Impart from that its good enough.

I for one do not believe even the majority of Crysis owners are pirates let alone 90%. Like the majority of big PC releases, most people simply cant afford the hardware.

GdRobotUs says:

I used to hate it, but use it quite often now.

It’s not perfect, I’ll admit that, it can be anything from irritating to downright bloody annoying at times, but it isn’t a hell-spawn demon from the depths of Chaos either 😉 Starforce might just be.

The most annoying things I’ve encountered are things like games forgetting you’ve entered the password if you don’t play them for a while, the ‘Online buddy’ thing that appears when games start, which takes a bit of tweaking to turn off, and, of course, the fact that when you reformat, there’s a heck of a lot of twiddling to get everything back to how it was.

But gripes aside, it’s not perfect, but it’s good enough.

KayleL says:

Good. Now drop the current DRM system on my copy of Mass Effect, then I will be happy. I wish they used Steam, but I don’t think everyone likes it.

Father Time says:

" People put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into their content and deserve to get paid for it."

Well there is a lot of blood in a lot of games and I have seen a few tears in ONE 2001 game but I can’t remember seeing sweat (perhaps it’s because I don’t play sports games). Can anyone fill me in?

Kris O. says:

That’s funny as hell. He doesn’t want to punish the pirates who obtain EA’s software for free, but he doesn’t mind screwing legitimate customers–who have parted with their cash–with the company’s DRM schemes. Being that ass-backwards, he could clearly run for president.

Azhrarn says:

probably not.
    While I wouldn’t say he looks like the devil, I do concede that he looks anything but trustworthy. There’s just something deep inside my brain that’s going *do NOT trust* about his visage.

ZippyDSMlee says:

There is always a better way but without a balance to the buying process(IE RETURNS) there is no moving forward unless you halve the price of a game.

I have no patients or care for poorly devs products without a way to redress the issues I have with modern gaming I am left to “alternative means” to ensure my money is protected, the process of buying media is needs to get cheaper or allow returns which will take a nice bite out of money based “piracy”.

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

Zero_Beat ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah, suing your customers is one of the few things that’s worse than standard DRM.  One of the other things is machine-killing DRM.

Krono says:

I wouldn’t give that many kudos to him. Judging by EA’s releases, he favors draconian DRM as the solution to piracy. Which isn’t something that’s exactly good.

Though the flip side is that it is nice to see that he recognizes that suing your target demographic doesn’t work, and just earns hate.

sortableturnip says:

I think you will continue to see more online type games (MMO’s, etc.) due to the fact that when you play online, you need to have that activiation code that can be checked and forced registration.  Makes it harder for the pirates to play.  I also believe more companies are going to incorporate their own servers (a la consoles) for games so they have control to verify if a player in fact purchased the game or is using a pirated version.

sheppy says:

No no, Extortion is exactly right.  Well, not exactly but it certainly does have the feeling of "You know, if you pay us 300 pounds… we can prevent terrible things from happening to you."  ESA’s new spokesperson will soon be James Cagney….

Alex ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My first reaction was to think it ironic too considering EA’s DRM stance, but let’s be honest, even if it does inconvenience consumers there’s a world of difference between prevention methods and what amounts to extortion. (Note: When I say "extortion" I’m not saying it’s right for people to pirate software, but I also don’t think it’s right for the companies to squeeze every penny out of those people they can get.)

Deep Thorn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

And how is SuckROM working Moore?

EA is just having their people to say stuff like this because they are still trying to recover their image after taking out T2, BioWare, and other bad business practices.  They are doing everything they can to help their image, including giving id an amazing deal where EA will publish their games and pretty much let id reep all of the profits as long as the heads of id talk nice about EA when they used to trash talk them worse than I do.  (of course for $4 million i would prolly shut up, and $10 million i would talk nice.)

thefremen says:

It’s nice to hear this from an industry leader. Now if they’ll stop using horribly restrictive DRM that would be nice. I’ve yet to have a problem with EA’s DRM but they’re using the same tech as THQ and that has made 2 games unplayable for me.

Anyways. Well played sir, well played.

Azhrarn says:

Not for the heavy handed tactic employed by a government, but at the same time using the most heavy handed DRM measures possible in all of EA’s future releases.
    (max 3 re-activations before the game is useless, online activation)
    All of which only the honest consumers are subjected too, the pirates will have that all removed within a week or so.

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing what the man is saying.

Anonymous says:

Agree with hom to some degree, but like others, I think the current DRM system punishes the legal purchasers for having purchased legally, which is also going to lead to problems down the line.

That said, I respect him for coming out and saying it.