Marketing 101: PSP a Successful Beer Seller

We all know that Sony’s handheld PSP is a great system that can do a lot of things, like surf the web and play games, music and video.

But marketing blog I Believe in Adv. reports that in Australia a specially-branded edition of the system was used to market Stella Artois beer.

Although it’s not entirely clear from the I Believe in Adv. post, it does not appear that Sony was involved in the modification of 50 PSPs which were distributed to beer sales personnel. The PSP case was etched with a Stella Artois logo on the back side and the systems were packaged in black velvet drawstring bags which bore similar branding.

The idea was designed to motivate the sales force as well as provide it with data via the PSP’s WiFi capabilities:

Foster’s was expecting a brochure, or a folder with loose-leaf pages. They gave them 50 customised Sony PlayStation PSPs instead… they also modified the operating systems and icon sets to reflect the brand. Then they installed the Stella Artois films and artwork, plus short presentations on the history of the brand.

And because PSPs are wi-fi capable, Foster’s can load up new material quicker than new pages can be printed for a loose-leaf folder. Foster’s analysis has shown that every sales representative who was given a PSP met all their sales targets for the relevant quarter. Anecdotal feedback also confirmed that without exception, the PSP was regarded as the best sales presenter ever received. As a result, Foster’s is now reviewing further rollout of the tool.

Anonymous says:

The PSP makes for an effective marketing tool because it offers a clear image, nice movies, skype communication with the other team members, quick data exchange, and a very effective relaxation tool during downtime.

Plus, with the device, you can hand it to a consumer and have them be treated to a movie or several stunningly detailed photos on a device that, face it, looks rather cool and high-tech in the first place. This is much more impressive than a simple brochure.

A very solid marketing idea and since it was successful, this could pad the numbers for Sony’s shiny black gem of a handheld. (which has already sold over 20 million units anyways).

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Um … I think some of you may have missed the point of the branded PSPs – they were given to the sales staff to show promo videos etc to customers.

It wasn’t given to customers or used ‘just for games’.

ronnoc ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

"The idea was designed to motivate the sales force…"

Because if there’s on thing that improves productivity, it’s video games!

Anonymous says:

"We all know that Sony’s handheld PSP is a great system that can do a lot of things"

Uh I’m sorry could you repeat that, I had something crazy in my ear.

Anonymous says:

As a mainstream lager, Stella’s actually pretty good, although I’ve heard from numerous Australians that the stuffed brewed under license by Foster’s is quite horrid. Kind of a shame, really.

And while I have no interest in or use for game consoles, I would dearly love to get my hands on one of these. Call me a sucker for slick marketing, but… well, I guess that about sums it up, really.

Black Patriot ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have never heard of this brand of beer, however as it is related to Fosters, I can only assume that it is essentially raw sewage thats bottled and sold by the carton…

Still, it is an ingenious form of marketing, althought the custom operating system and icons may be a bit of a problem (I am not sure about this, as I havn’t researched Sony’s position on modified content on the PSP system).

HarmlessBunny says:

The future of video games (exactly what happened to movie theaters). Another format to blitz people with adverts. Wonder if Sony is going to be up in arms over this, or use it as a stepping stones to get sponsors and more money…?