Guitar Hero Knockoff Features Christian Music

If the heathen lyrics in Guitar Hero or Rock Band are starting to warp your mind, you may want to check out a new Christian-themed guitar game.

GameDaily reports that Guitar Praise: Solid Rock will ship in late September. A blurb on the game site says:

Grab the guitar and play along with top Christian bands! Shred those riffs or blast the bass…you add a unique sound to the solid Christian rock. But watch out: if you can’t keep up, the artists will take a break and stop the music. Crank it up and try again – you’ll soon be rockin’ with the best while praising the Lord!  Order the second guitar and jam with a friend!

Guitar Praise: Solid Rock sells for $99.95. An extra guitar for two-player games is $69.95.

117 comments

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

My fiancee would love that as well. Honestly, I’d love to see more genre-themed expansions to Rock Band & Guitar Hero in general, rather than a billion and one mock-up weak variant games that aren’t nearly as fun or exciting.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

I’m not overly fond of it myself, as a Christian. That said, I can accept and understand that there are people who do like it, despite it not really being appealing to me.

Zero Beat ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The counter-product would be Rock Band 666.  Approach the drumkit at your soul’s peril – selling it is the only way you’ll be able to keep up with it on Expert as you’re forced to keep up with some of the fastest drummers on Earth that are in bands that have three drummers!

Sai says:

Well you could just play as God and kill anyone who makes you angry, or picks up sticks on the Sabbath, or sacrifices goats to you in slightly the wrong manner or preforms a census in a more practical way than you instructed them to.

E. Zachary Knight says:

With the instruments already on the market, all they have to do is add the country theme and songs as an update. There are quite a few country and bluegrass songs  Iwould love to play in Rockband or Guitar Hero.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Chaplain99 says:

I wholeheartedly agree.  Gregorian choirs ftw.  And enough with this New Age crap.  What happened to "FEAR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART!!!!  REPENT!!!"

Must’ve gone the way of the nuns in private schools…

Chaplain99 says:

Well, that 4-port USB hub is blessed with holy water, so it’ll prolly 3p1< PH41L within 2 hours of initial use…

Anyway, this game is going to get minimal attention, poor advertising, and few sales.  It’s a game fit for parents who want to give their kids something to keep them busy, but without the hooplah of a T-rated game.

Chaplain99 says:

Remember the last time we tried to be "innovative?"  We came up with The Bible Game.

-slaps forehead-

THAT’S why we’re not innovative anymore.

Adamas Draconis says:

Hence another issue. The demon hunting thing. The problem is that most of the symbolism (A good bit of which is bastardized/perverted forms of religious symbols) has become such a part of modern mythos concerning demons that theres not much of a way you can have one without the other. Although I admit it would be nice if some of the fiction that uses those symbols would explain the actual origins of them. Might cut some of the whole "Your wearing a pentacle/manji, your going to hell"

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

jkjdr25 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Actually something like that could be pretty cool. Purely insturmental numbers like Foggy Mountain Breakdown are way more complex than anything on Guitar Hero currently and the speed at which it goes would likely send most people into raving fits of madness.

scribe999 says:

Maybe it’s a posting in relation to the Gibson patent infringement lawsuit, or Konami’s?

It’s a knockoff product, but it doesn’t look to be illegal in any way.

scribe999 says:

It’s interesting to point out that most of the scenarios for a Christian-themed game being bandied about here involve Old Testament books, the Jewish, pre-Christian segment of the Bible, when God was considered more vengeful and full of wrath.

While I do not consider myself a Christian, why not make game not set in the Bible at all. Maybe an RPG of an individual struggling with his faith during the 19th Century abroad amongst European colonies as he sees the hypocricy of some overzealous missionaries in collusion with the corrupt and violent colonial governments and their cynical use of faith and bigotry to maintain dominance. Protecting his new flock with the aid of like-minded (but maybe not similarly religious) party members. Or a gothic detective story with a clergyman investigating impoverished and deadly neighborhoods on behalf of a murdered parishioner in a steampunk urban setting. Or anything with combatting demons without the occult themes that make something like Constantine troubling for more conservative minded Christians.

Again, I advocate no religion or philosophy on this site, but there are great story ideas you can find in many religious/philosophical/historical products of the human endeavor. The Theme does not have to be Plot is all I am saying.

Chal says:

Depict that in the game, then. Have David suffer the consequences of his actions.

In making gameplay, some liberties would have to be taken, most likely. For example, the game could reward players for disabling enemies instead of killing them or performing missions with the fewest casualties possible. If the player takes the easy way and kills everyone, then David’s relationship with God becomes strained, and the player uses access to ‘Prayer Attacks’ that do things like make the sun stand still or fire come down from heaven.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

I’d say that femanism and tolerance are two words that don’t belong in the same sentence. From personal experience with feminists and how they have treated people who…. aren’t feminist.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the subject. After all, taste is subjective.

Anonymous says:

Laying seige to the city could make an interesting game, with the wall part having to be played out at the right point (all sorts of stuff there… getting the right resonant frequency by picking the right trumpets, etc. not doing it too early.. if the city isn’t half starved already you’d just get slaughtered by the resident poulation).

OTOH an actual seige is pretty boring.. you sit around and don’t let anything in or out for a few months.

JustChris says:

Wait, was this game made by the same company that gave us Dance Praise? You know, a Christian-infused DDR clone. (edit) I looked at their store….they did.

Looking further in their store, I found a decent deal for a 4-port USB 2.0 hub. I wonder if it’s any good…

CenturionRyan says:

What this game needs:

Demon Hunter

Mortification

Antestor

Crimson Thorn

Divinefire

Horde

Extol

Unfortunately, I sense crappy, acoustic ‘rock’ crap on the horizon.

Paulrus-Keaton? ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yes. Yes it is.

I mean, a Guitar Hero game full of music you’d find on the USED CDs rack at FYE. And everyone already has a guitar controller. $20 at best.

Paulrus-Keaton? ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You know what good "Christian Music" is?

Chanting. And it should stick to that.

As a Catholic, I must state that Contempory Christian music is horrid and is the devil’s music. It’s anus-bleeding awful.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

I can understand where you are coming from, I have a rather extensive music library of a lot of varied music… But at the sme time, there are people who would like to see a game like Guitar Hero or Rock Band… heck, even Guitar Hero or Rock Band themselves release packs/songs that havemusic suited to their tastes. Are you going to say they can’t have that just because that taste happens to be Christian Rock?

Me, I prefer a more Industrial scene… and don’t see much int he line for some Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Rammstein, Oomph!, Static-X, Rob Zombie, etc. There’s a few songs here and there, but nothing real substantial :)

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

Mind you, Joshua and the Isrealites had very little to do with the walls of Jericho other than playing trumpets.

tony selby says:

it’s not a console game, and i don’t believe GH or RB are available on the PC

that and if either game is already released for the PC it doesn’t make sense for them to limit their audience to only people that already own one of the previous games on PC

doewnskitty says:

I haven’t much to say about this except something a friend of mine said years ago in high school:  "Why do they call it Christian Rock?  If it’s Christian, it isn’t rock, and if it Rocks, it isn’t Christian."

Me, I’d just have nothing less than an irresistable urge to somehow put in AC/DC’s "Hell Ain’t a Bad Place to Be" were I to get hands on this.

Adamas Draconis says:

I think he may mean the tech for the hardware, wasn’t there some patent trouble with another company’s guitar controlers?

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Adamas Draconis says:

the problem I see is how would you handle certain points in either story? David became a bit of a warmonger, Samson killed hundreds when he leveled the temple, not to mention the whole pulled a lion inside out bit. And lets not even get started on how you could handle Joshua and the walls of Jericho. There isn’t really much in the old testament that wouldn’t wind up being either a Dynasty Warrior or God of War clone.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Paladyn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The Flyleaf lead singer doesn’t consider the band a "Christian Band", but I think all the members are professing Christians. I guess you can’t blame them for not wanting to be pigeonholed into the "CCM" category. Come to think of it, I think that’s Underoath’s position as well.

I’ve heard of (and have listened to) several bands on their list, most notably Relient K, Skillet, Casting Crowns, Kutless, and dc Talk. Jesus Freak is a classic, but there are some other songs that don’t appear on the list that I think should if they’re going to be serious about this.

I think their whole stunt smells of fail though. While at least one of the guys there seems to have decent dev experience, I have very little hope that the title will innovate beyond what "secular" alternatives already exist in the market. Furthermore, the marketing of this product will almost certainly be inept. Why can’t "Christian" game publishers ever do any better than Wisdom Tree?

E. Zachary Knight says:

What grounds would they have to sue? This game does not use any of their art or other trademarks or copyrights. It is also not infringement to use a gameplay idea from another game as is apparent from the slue of FPS and RTS and RPG etc game on the market.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

E. Zachary Knight says:

It may be depending on your console. I believe that on the PS3 there is no compatability between GH and RB.

I believe they are compatable on systems with wired controllers.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

Yeah…. That’s the kind of thing that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable and not very trusting of the game as being anything of quality.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

It is because, more often than not… when people want to make something Christian-themed, they are looking at another game and thnk "well, if I made this more Christian-themed, I’d do…"

Not exactly what I’d call the best way to do things. And, unfortunately, the vast majority of the Christian-themed games on the market… and very poorly written, designed, and debugged. This tends to result in a bad taste in peoples’ mouths, regardless of beliefs… and it makes the market dry up for Christian-themed games. Unfortunately, money isn’t the onl factor for being able to make good games… since movie-based games, which are often funded in part by the rather deep pockets of production studios, still end up terrible.

With the Christian-themed games, I think it si more that people aren’t coming up with really good ideas to try and implement as games. Taking a game, and throwing some biblical window-dressings on it doesn’t make for a Christian-themed game, or that is, not a very good one. I know I’ve toyed with the idea of building a good Christian-themed game before, and I keep tossing ideas around in my head (and summarily rejecting them because they are goofy, or only very superficially "Christian-themed").

What intrigues me about the Christian-themed Guitar Hero knockoff, is that music is a rather large part of Christian beliefs… and if it has fun & challenging songs, that also have good, Biblically-sound lyrics to them, it could be a very good game. But that is more than a little difficult. And… I really doubt it is anything more than a weak attempt to try and grab some money, resulting in a typically poor product.

I’ve looked at ideas of a game derived from David’s many battles… the problem is, it really isn’t a very Christian-oriented game then… you can take the battles straight from the Bible, but it was David’s continual warlike attitude and his many battles that tended to upset God and made him not be allowed to build the temple. So a game depicting the battles wouldn’t exactly be depicting something that is what would be considered a "highlight" of David’s life.

jkdjr25 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Uhm you do realize that the GH and RB packages that come with a guitar are generally around the same price right?

But really no one’s going to force you to buy this game so what’s the real problem? Sounds like old fashioned bigotry to me.

Anonymous says:

Haha, did anyone notice the   $100 price tag for the package, not the mention the $70 extra guitar? WTF? First, they come out with a game with substandard music that, personally, I hope GH or RB sue for trademark violations, THEN, they have the gall to charge a higher price for this?  At the very least, if you are going to cater to a neiche market, you should be charging LESS than your mainstream competitor..

Big D says:

" if you can’t keep up, the artists will take a break and stop the music"

they even sugar coat not crappy playing.  They don’t get booed off stage, they just "take a break", pressumably go off stage and pray, then give it another shot.

Cameron says:

If they would have put bands like As I Lay Dying, Blindside, Underoath, and Demon Hunter on there, I may have considered purchasing it. The only band on their list that I’ve heard of is Flyleaf, and I thought I’d heard their singer say that they weren’t a christian band.

Anonymous says:

What I kind of wonder is if anyone’s explored just getting a "Christian Rock" pack made for the /actual/ Rock Band or Guitar Hero.  Seems like it might be a good way to get a best of both worlds thing going on–the music a lot of people out there enjoy, and a game that’s already professionally made and a huge seller–rather than ending up with what oftentimes (not necessarily this time, I haven’t played this or anything) ends up a cheap knockoff that takes advantage of Christians more than caters to them.

Pominator says:

Personally I think it would have been so much cheaper (And more effective) to just have neversoft release it as DLC on Xbox live marketplace

Your soul is a tasty refreshing treat to ones such as I

Chal says:

You know, the fact that there aren’t many good Christian themed games is really inexcusable. I mean, surely even an athiest could have fun with a game involving David’s many battles or Samson and his super strength.

I’m not much into Christian rock, but this could make a good game. What rather bothers me is: why does it seem like all the good (not that there are many) Christian-themed games seem to be basic modifications of secular-themed game designs? Where’s the innovation?

E. Zachary Knight says:

My wife wants to know when the country themed guitar game comes out.

I would prefer some blues myself.

Or steel drum hero. That would be freaking awesome.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Gift says:

Wow, lots of replies. I’m not sure how big a deal this is myself though. The way I see it, there’s apparently a market and someone’s going to make money catering for it. Ok, I’m not sure there’d be much demand for Guitar Praise in Europe (Godless heathens that we are 😉 ), but there’s every reason to suspect it could do well in the US so why wouldn’t a game like this happen?

Gift.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

Who said anything about can’t enjoy the same things everyone else enjoys? Why can’t it be a matter of wanting to play games that are appealing, but have a Christian flavor to them? After all, anything not prohibited in the Bible, is allowed (as long as you don’t end up enslaved/controlled by it). Video games aren’t prohibited. Even the violence in the video games aren’t prohibited (violent media in general). The only exception is if a) it makes you stumble and turn away from your faith, or b) it makes someone else stumble/turn away from their faith because you did it. Christianity isn’t about following a strict set of rules and earning "brownie points" to get to Heaven, it is about realizing that going to Heaven is completely assured, and rejoicing in that.

What I’m wondering is, do you have a problem with specially-themed games or media designed for specific tastes? Should everything always be generic, or is there possibly room for media, including games, to be made with a specific special interest in mind? Sure, it wouldn’t appeal to everyone, but should appealing to everyone be the only guiding rule for media in general, or video games specifically?

Phydeaux says:

Oh, I enjoy GH and Rock Band, but I’m a little more liberal in my media-devouring tastes as a Christian. I’ve got no problem belting out a Disturbed song but it’s a little off-putting to my fellow game-loving Christians that take the Word a little more literally in regards to their body being "a temple".

Plus, games like this are the only place I’m probably going to see bands like Five Iron Frenzy, Staple, Skillet, etc. and not any of Red Octane’s or Harmonix’s offerings since they seem to be wishy washy on what they want to offer.

From my conversations through people that know Harmonix staffers, they are indeed avoidant of releasing anything that can be construed as Christian in flavor, at fear of alienating their base. Which falls in line with what you can see at the Rock Band forums. There is an unbelievable hostility directed at Christian artists and listeners, which is unfair because a large amount of the content should be palatable to agnostic or even atheistic tastes. I’m not talking Praise & Worship music here, I’m talking rock with positive connotations.

So there’s a market, someone’s gotta do it, and the big two companies in the game right now won’t.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

Bah, I’d do it open-source and free, if I had a good enough idea for it.

Chaplain99 says:

Wait…you have a RUDE MODE?!?!

Sw337.

Anyway, can’t we accept that some things aren’t MEANT to be run through the proverbial video-game "wringer?"  Like monkeys rolling around in little transparent balls on tilting stages, some things just SHOULDN’T EXIST IN VIDEOGAMES.

I think the argument for or against Christian videogames should focus more on cost-effectiveness.  Who’s gonna buy a Christian-themed game nowadays?  Very few Christians, fewer atheists, and almost no teens, period.  It’s not a justifiable investment, creating a Christian videogame.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

I didn’t complete my statement about justice. In the context of a game that relates/ties to Christianity and the Bible, God seeks and handles Justice, not an individual. The focus is on God, and what He has done for us, not on us. For example…. a RPG tends to focus on character development/personal development as a key aspect of the game. For it to have a more solid Biblical structure to it, that element would be completely changed. The character doesn’t develop personally. God strengthens the character through faith, and God handles making things work out according to His plan, which may or may not be what the character views as benefitial for him/herself.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

Come on Zippy, you know I utterly and completely avoid those forums now, as they were not conducive to actual conversation, but more an open field for bashing people because of their beliefs.

As I said, I haven’t found a good premise/idea for a game that would still mesh well with the Bible. It is something which, when I look at it, I haven’t found a good way to resolve the differences. So yes…. it just doesn’t work for me, because I don’t see a way to make it work.

And, I wasn’t being "belittling" or "insulting", just that as much as I saw you were wanting to help, your help wasn’t actually all that helpful or relevant to the problem which I’m dealing with in this area.

ZippyDSMlee says:

@

*sigh* I try to help and you help in return in being vuage and belittling….

…. so you are saying that there has to be no clear justification in a story?
    Might I bring up all the crap that hollywod dose that has lil justice in its themes or characters, perhaps I was being to simple to minmilize the cruelty in things to make it more "palatable" justice in the way I speak makes it clear to any Christian believer that good is rewarded and evil punished with less than ambiguous tones.

But I am not saying placing all in gods hands I am saying create multiple scripts to cue under certain circumstances and then you as the player have to deal with the cards you are given, are you so blind and petty to not understand that?

rude mode
    What you want is the magic wizard in the sky to play the game for you, thats not going to work………..
    end rude mode

What can be done is have "god" empower the character differently under different circumstances and still have a game that can be enjoyed………… *sigh*  witless people are frustrating…. but then MR.Incoherent(me) has to be as fun to deal with LOL

I made a form post over it has some interesting ideas of "non direct" powers in a game setting.

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

Anonymous says:

But you don’t give up control though… that would be a very extreme doctrinal position to take.  eg. with the various battles in the OT they still went through with them, they didn’t sit on their arses and wait to win by default.  Equally in more modern time christians are very active in things like social justice*, building hospitals, etc.

Even hardcore calvinists don’t talk in terms as extreme as giving up all control of events (although it does betray which doctrinal end you’re coming from there – I’m guessing American Fundamentalist).  Most people are somewhere in the middle holding free will and predestination in a kind of uneasy tension.

* Yes, justice is something that needs to be sought and even fought for at times.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

Always can rely on Zippy to provide a delightfully non-helpful response. I know you are trying to help, but honestly, your idea is very counter to the entire thing. You are throwing around terms like justice,,, as if it is something to seek, or what have you… which wouldn’t really mesh well.

And by "placing everything in God’s hands" would basically mean… instead of you controlling the events at all, you give up that control. As I said, it doesn’t really work in a game context. You don’t trust in your abilities, you trust in God’s, nothing more, nothing less.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Its not that hard, but you have to make sure story wise that justice is done, can you throw away ambiguity in story and conflict to prove things have a deeper meaning at the end, ambiguity can amke good evil and evil good in the end tis what a person dose with their life that truly makes them "A" or "B" you can’t just use a part of someones life to judge them and neither should the same be done to a story.

Now what can be tricky is gameplay  mitigating the real grime of the past into something palatable today can be also tricky, as for place things in god hands what do you mean? taking some/most power/ablitiy out of the character and make it something chosen by the level or scripted circumstance?
    Stats can be adjusted by god so meh Heroes are Heros no matter the aliment  but I believe you want "God" to be a power outside the influence of the character?

I can muse more on it if you would give me more examples,if you ever played  Call of cuthuluu it has a weak random insanity script, one can tweak that to aid the character depending on the circumstance,say in battle out powered you become abit faster, praying=meditation thus you can heal faster(or create a stanima gauge that under certaincircumstances acts like health or a ability enhancer), if you wind up beaten to a pulp (insert righteous christen power) or situation+  X=  (insert righteous christen power) and I am serious here it might sound funny but I like expanding my mind over fictionalizations(there of religion not OF religion mind you) and gameplay.

What I am getting at in order to dev gameplay you need to know the fiction of the world you are making the gameplay for.

Hit me upint eh forums and I can bang soem thouhts out ^^

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

It isn’t about the beliefs being hard to translate, it is about trying to make the games portray the beliefs correctly. It becomes complicated when you think about how the basic premise of most games goes contrary to doctrine. It would have to be a game where you have to place all of your trust on God, not on your own abilities. Imagine a game where you really portrayed the most impressive battles in the Old Testament… the ones that were won, not by anything the people did themselves, but by the hand of God. Or a game where you portray one of the prophets… and you place your very life in God’s hands, not your own. It is these kinds of ideas I toss around. Sometimes I think I might be onto something, other times… I’m not so certain.

Paladyn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I have a few ideas, but my problem is finding the time to do anything with them. The beliefs aren’t all that hard to translate into a game in theory. You just have to pick the right genre, market well, and don’t overdo it. I know that’s alot easier said than done, but look how game companies have done it with shinto, hindu, buddhist, and new age beliefs. *cough*square*cough*. Now, I’m not saying that Sakaguchi-san has been pushing an agenda all these years, but I think that certain themes have a tendency to come out in the storytelling.

Sai says:

I don’t understand why Christians can’t enjoy the same things everyone else enjoys. And chances are, any game that appeals to Christians who think they need a specialized category for themselves in everything isn’t going to appeal to anyone else and thus will be a commercial flop and won’t recieve any investor or publisher support.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

Oh, I’m totally in agreement. I’ve been trying to figure out a good idea to potentially build into a Christian-themed video game… But, Christian beleifs are not exactly very easy to translate across to a game.

jkdjr25 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This is the kind of thing I hope other companies start to look into. Rather than complain about the lack of well made games for Christians, Christians should throw their hats into the market and make the kinds of games they want to see. There’s a huge untapped market in that respect and it would be cool to see my fellow Christians step up and make quality games instead of the cheap, low rent titles they’ve made in the past.

Chaplain99 says:

Heh.  You make it sound like we’re Jewish people being asked to eat something that’s not Kosher…

Anyway, Christianity isn’t THAT strict.  Way I see it, Christianity is about a belief and the application of that belief to everyday life.  It’s not RESTRICTIVE, just a belief.

Hope that helped.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

For the church to support/sponsor the event, it would do best to have what is being supported something that, well, logically would make sense for the church to support. I think you are misunderstanding the point I am making here. It isn’t about some rediculous "don’t do this or you will go to hell" BS that I’ve seen. It is more a matter of…. how the church presents itself. If you go to a play, and instead of actors, there is a T.V. in the center playing reruns of "I Love Lucy", would you feel it was a good representation of theater? If you went to a Metallica concert and instead ended up sitting through an opera, would it make sense?

My pastor isn’t being "fundamentalist whacko" about this. It is simply a matter of… if the church is going to support & sponsor the event, it would be better that what is at the event is something that works with church doctrine. Nothing more than that. Not out of some bible-thumping "our way or else" rediculous law-focused fire & brimstone ranting, just out of a desire to properly present the church’s ideals, while at the same time offer something fun, entertaining, and enjoyable.

I mean… I can totally understand where he’s coming from on this. Me, I tend to listend to music/play games/watch movies that appeal to me as entertainment. But what I personally enjoy, and what would present the correct face for the church are not necessarily the same thing. It is a matter of what would be appropriate to have available at a church-sponsored event.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Nicely said, however they wanta simi secular event as so they can enjoy them selfs better, altho it is true most are to busy finding the devil(sin,hatered,racsiim,ect) in life and not finding god(light,hope,peace,love) in everything.

I mean really most less than pure rock songs are good allegory’s to not what to do for hevans sake! ^^

oh and modern country is as sleazily and crappy as rock is/was suppose to be.

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

JustChris says:

Your pastor doesn’t seem to suspend his disbelief, which apparently is harder to do for people that closely follow a faith based (read: belief based) lifestyle. Sure it may be for a church-sponsored event, but are Christians required to avoid touching anything anti-Christian, in particular if it’s a fictional context?

There are fundamentalists attacking Final Fantasy games for including magic, but they forget that they don’t take place in our world. They want to think that God and Christianity is everywhere or should be everywhere, even in fictional realms, and suspension of disbelief contradicts that way of thinking. Since religion requires leaps of faith, religious followers have to "leap back" a few times to get back to rational thinking. It takes them more time to catch on.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

I am a little intrigued by this, however typically… the so-called "Christian Rock" music just doesn’t do it for me. I’ve proposed an idea to my pastor rather recently about possibly having a church sponsored "game night", and he expressed a concern about how violent and gore-filled the video games are… so I pointed out games that were not violent — like the minigame/party games on the Wii, or Guitar Hero/Rock Band, Wii Fit, etc. Games that would involve multiple people, able to compete with each other, but without the violent overtones. He was intrigued by the idea, however expressed a concern over the content of the lyrics in something like Guitar Hero or Rock Band… Primarily because if it was to be a church-sponsored event, he’d prefer it to be something that was tied to the church’s beliefs, and many songs in both games are…. really not.

There are some good, [doctrinally] solid christian rock songs out there… but there also are many that aren’t as good (those that focus on self & feelings rather than Christ and what he has done for us). While I think it would be awesome to include a rock Band/Guitar Hero game in the line-up of games I’m proposing for the church-sponsored game night… Right now, I think I will have to leave those off the plate, which is a bit unfortunate. Especially since I like those games so much.

What I really am trying to avoid, are the really dumb games that have supposed "christian themes" but are really just plain stupid. I’d like the game night to be something fun, with games that people would enjoy and are popular, but at the same time don’t contain elements within them that would be contradictory to the church’s doctrine and beliefs. Not because I believe violent games are evil (on the contrary), just that there is a right time and place for things… and with it being a church-sponsored event, I’d like it to have games that are both fun/good, and wouldn’t contradict with the church.

KayleL says:

I think you mean devil worshippers. Satanists are more like a atheist. Satanists don’t believe in God, or the Devil, Heaven, Hell, etc.

“There is no heaven of glory bright, and no hell where sinners roast. Here and now is our day of torment! Here and now is our day of joy! Here and now is our opportunity! Choose ye this day, this hour, for no redeemer liveth!”
    – The Satanic Bible: The Book of Satan IV:2

Anyway. I hope there is Faith + 1 in this game.

MrKlorox ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Just cause some guy organized athiests and branded the group as Satanism, doesn’t actually make it Satanism. I’m so sick of LaVey’ans for the same reason that I’m sick of evangelist Christians: THEY NEVER SHUT UP ABOUT THEIR "FAITH". Keep on embracing the myth, Lavey’ans.

Also, one has to be daft to think regular GH is the "Satanic" edition. If anything has evil written on it, it’s this product. Can we get a lawsuit up in this piece?

David Ikari ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I can imagine the Muslim one now: "Nasheed Master!" a playstation with the game running, a cord running into the middle of the room connected to nothing, and if you don’t do anything for three minutes, you win!

(nb: many muslims believe instruments aren’t allowed, and song is only for praise)

Dark Sovereign says:

1) I doubt it, so long as the lyrics don’t sound like Al Qaida propoganda.

2) Are either of those groups known for embracing rock to spread their message?