Will Mercs 2 Release Rekindle Venezuelan Outrage?

Reuters speculates that tomorrow’s release of Mercenaries 2: World in Flames will renew past controversies surrounding the game’s setting in Venezuela. From Reuters:

A video game depicting mercenaries storming Venezuela, which has been criticized in the oil-rich South American country as a blueprint for an invasion, will be released by a U.S. company this weekend.

The release is likely to anger allies of President Hugo Chavez, a Washington foe, who has in the past threatened to cut off oil exports to the United States.

However, as GamePolitics has previously reported, developer Pandemic made changes to the long overdue Mercs 2 in an apparent effort to appease Venezuelan concerns. EA spokesman Jeff Brown downplayed the political impact of the game:

All the controversy around this is kind of comical. At the end of the day you have to remind yourself it’s a damned video game.

In 2007, an international group of religious leaders petitioned Bono, a Pandemic investor, to make the game less menacing to Venezuelans.

An EA press release for Mercs 2 touts the game’s "massive, fully destructible Venezuela."

desperad0 says:

Thanks good job;

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing travesti or little and need to start saving costs. and dizi izle

Now I don’t have to get off my ass for the important shit anymore!

Whats next, ordering pizza from Xbox live?

Wait… I think that sounds like a good idea.

But I think voting should MAKE you get off your ass, and see outside or a second while you go vote. I mean, your picking the president of the United States of America for God’s Sake… least you can do is drive down there and punch out a card.

oto kirlama says:

I’m all for freedom of ttnet vitamin speech and allowing rent a car game makers to put whatever they want in games, but there’s one thing about this app that has me scratching my head.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but from araç kiralama the previous article araba kiralama on this I gathered that players can use Google maps in-game to find the other (real-life?) dealers in their area.  If this is the case, has travesti anyone considered what’s stopping someone from using this app to actually move drugs between hands for reals?

shady8x says:

I believe that the most horrible thing this game will do is teach americans where venezuala is(africa right), that there is a country with that name(I thought it was a US city) and maybe even how to spell venuzualla.

Which ofcoure are major steps to a real invasion, if all those movies of desert storm hadn’t been released Bush might have never known which country his dad fought…

Jackalman says:

"And you are the kind of ignorant idiot that sits in your air conditioned room in front of your brand new computer writing bullshit while the people in countries like Venezuela and Cuba suffer hunger, scarcity and repression. You haven’t experienced it so I suggest you kindly shut the f**k up!"

-An angry cuban

Anonymous says:

I don’t care about either sides of the debate, but a few things in your comment makes me giggle.

"Dude," … way to get them to take you seriously!

"Racist to the US" American is not a race.

"Halocaust" …. Godwin’s law AND a hilarious video-game related typo!

BlackIce, Not Logged In ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Coming from a Conservative..

Sorry mate, but i’m going with Haggard on this (suprise, suprise..). Still, where he expects to get on a predominantly American blog is beyond me.

Anonymous says:

The U.S. GDP and population are far, far, far, greater than Ireland. Per capita is a weak measure of a nation’s wealth. I didn’t call him a fascist. He’s an open socialist/communist. He’s a dick too.

Austin_Lewis says:

Chavez is a facist sonofabitch who is doing his best to nationalize all his country’s resources so that he will be the only one to profit from the work of the people he rules over.

mdo7 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t know if you know this.  Did you know Chavez is friend to Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad?  Do you know who Ahamadinejad is?  Chavez is nothing but a racist to the US.  I’m going to put my bet that Chavez support Al-Queda and other terrorist attacking the USA.  Are you also aware that Ahmadinejad said that he wants to "wipe Israel off the map" by using nuclear weapon.  He even called the Halocaust a myth.  bud, if you support Chavez, then you are supporting Ahmadinejad and his plan to wipe out Israel.  If you are supporting the destroying of Israel, then you are just evil as the nazis did to the millions of Jews during the Halocaust.

Anonymous says:

So because my goernment has  "intervened" it makes Chavez a good guy? As far as I’m concerned they can both kiss my ***.

As for Venezuela getting mad? Let them be pissed. It’s a freaking game, get over it. I swear people need to knock of this PC crap and grow a freaking backbone.

Haggard says:

I’m not a conspiracy theorist and Chavez is not a fascist. Sure he’s done some bad things, but honestly, you call it a ‘theory’ that the CIA intervened in dozens of countries in South America?

The documentary I mentioned isn’t Loose Change, it’s not saying that Bush’s private army want to take over the world with a moon laser. It is an absolute FACT that the US replaces governments around the world in order to further economic and political interests. Chavez is not evil, he merely doesn’t fit into your government’s agenda, and thus you’ve been blinded to see it their way.

The idea that it is I who believe lies is so unknowingly hypocritical on your part.

Anonymous says:

Except nationalize everything.

So? I live in Ireland. Its richer in per capita than the US and has nationalised Energy industry through the ESB. Infact our major telco, Eircom, is a former state owned privatised asset that the population want to buy back. Nationalising industry isn’t a crime and in some cases its good for the country. I will happly agree it can work, in our mobile phone industry for example, but its not a be all and end all. Look at broadband in the Sweden for example.

That sounds vaguely familiar. I wonder why?

And basically attempt to convince everybody that he’s completely unstable.

I can certainly agree with that but calling him a fascist is just a very long stretch. Go look up Kirchner (Former  Argentinian President) or his wife (current Presdient) and you’ll find that they have very similar polices. Same goes for Lula da Silva (Brazil), Vázquez (Uruguay) and Morales (Bolivia). He is certainly a blow hard and enjoys the lime light by antagonising the US but framing him is a the next Hitler or Stalin is very lazy. Debate the points Haggard raises is a good start.

And before anyone jumps all over me, I’m not defending Chavez for a second. He is clearly well able to do that himself. I’m merely pointing out the need to clearly define leaders into the "Good" and "Bad" bracket is just getting very tiresome.

Dark Sovereign says:

Except nationalize everything. And publicly state that he’s going to circumvent public opinion to press his goals. And basically attempt to convince everybody that he’s completely unstable.

Grow up and leave, conspiracy theorist.

JustChris says:

I think that, when talking about America, he spouts a lot more war and oil rhetoric than Bush. Also, he has a big mouth…literally and figuratively.

Father Time says:

I don’t think most people will care that it takes place in Venezuala. I as a gamer have as little trouble blowing my up own country (in a game) as I do blowing up any other country/mystical place/other dimension/alien world/time era etc. (in a game), for the simple fact that blowing things up is fun and that you’re not really destroying anything real.

Oh well what will Venezuala do anyway other than ban the game in their country?

Anyone else reminded of the resistance church of england controversy? I can’t decide who has more of a just complaint.

Adamas Draconis says:

More they won’t care. I don’t care about the setting of the game aside for story elements. Beyond that, just make a GOOD game.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Unidentified Sacastic Person says:

Yes, this game makes a perfect "blueprint" for the invasion of a South American country. Just run around in the jungle, shooting things no food, no cover, and next to no back-up, and you’ll be fine. Even if you get shot, all you have to do is run around for ten seconds or so while the wound heals itself (Just like in real life!). Once this game is released, I don’t know what’s going to happen to South America. The entire continent is going to be overrun with an army of invulnerable, cash-happy soldiers, each one of them using "unbeatable" techniques that were perfected in this highly detailed, extremely realistic, GPS accurate, "game".

Salen says:

Like Chavez needs a reason to be upset with the ebil United States.  I rank this right up there with the whole GRAW issue where Mexico was upset at how it was portrayed in the game.

Me, I just wanna play the game to have fun. And to blow up stuff with a tank that’s being carried by a helicopter.