Players Face Real-World Issues in Global Conflicts: Latin America

Later this month, Copenhagen-based Serious Games Interactive will release Global Conflicts: Latin America.

The game, intended for students 13-19 years old, will be published in seven languages and is designed to teach students about political and human rights struggles in Latin America. From an SGI press release:

Many Latin American countries have dark histories of genocide, widespread corruption; and systematic exploitation of the indigenous population. The game lets you explore how these historical realities still cast long shadows on the everyday life of people in the region today.

In the game, students are challenged to assume the role of investigative reporters:

You arrive in Mexico at the US border with a bag full of journalistic ambitions. Latin America is one of the most turbulent, violent and poverty-stricken places on the planet. Yet it is only when Western interests in the region are threatened that we hear anything about the nations that struggle with paramilitary rule, extreme poverty and exploitation of the population.

In a region where politicians and police are feared rather than respected, people try desperately to grab a piece of the land and call it their own. All too often, however, it ends badly. Can you make a difference by writing investigative stories?

Global Conflicts: Latin America will be released for PC and Mac.

oto kirlama says:

I’m all for freedom of ttnet vitamin speech and allowing rent a car game makers to put whatever they want in games, but there’s one thing about this app that has me scratching my head.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but from araç kiralama the previous article araba kiralama on this I gathered that players can use Google maps in-game to find the other (real-life?) dealers in their area.  If this is the case, has travesti anyone considered what’s stopping someone from using this app to actually move drugs between hands for reals?

But majority araba kiralama of their outrage araç kiralama stems from what it could DO TO children, not the content itself.  Talk to one of these people and you’ll find they don’t think any books kiralık araba should be banned from children.  Mention American Psycho and they talk about kiralık araç the redeeming value of using imagination to construct a story.  Reading, no matter what the content, is largely viewed as a consequenceless activity for people of any age.  The reason why I mention American Psycho is because of the content itself.  Gaming never has and likely never will have any scenes where someone has sex with a severed head.  Not gonna happen.  Yet despite this, they’ll fight tooth and nail to protect their children from two boys kissing in Bully but whatever they read is harmless… yeah.

The entire arguement is kiralık oto based upon a social normality inflicted by luddites who can’t figure out the controls for Halo so it’s frightening and terrifying and obviously the cause of youth violence on the rise even though, in reality, it’s in decline (which is actually a HUGE suprise given minibüs kiralama the economies status).  In  a perfect world, we would have parents that actually parent.  The idea of sales restrictions on media on oto kiralama any form to accomidate parental unwillingness to get involved with their child’s life is the real problem to me.  Here I am, 32 years old, and being held up at a self-scan rent a car needing to show ID before I can buy a $10 M rated game all because Soccer Momthra can’t be bothered to look at the crap Billy Genericallystupidson does in his free time.  It’s too hard for her, so I have to suffer?

Tom says:

Realistically we can’t stem the influx of immigrants, especially illegal immigrants.  When thinking about the movement of people it’s helpful to consider "people" as a fluid and then imagine the topography of the world as being directly related to the economic opportunties, with areas of greater opportunity being deeper.  If we want to lower illegal immigration in the States we need to make Mexico a much more economically attractive option to both keep people from crossing the border and to absorb the movement of economic refugees into Mexico rather then the States.

Luke says:

I pretty much agree with you.  I’m not advocating more US involvement in Latin America, I just wish people who argue against it so vehemently understood that it’s not like we haven’t been involved in a negative way in the past.

The only upside I could see with us getting overtly involved would be to stem the influx of illegal immigrants, but that’s an issue that’s probably going to get resolved in the next decade anyway.

Tom says:

I threw up a reply with a link to the wikipedia page for Hidden Agenda but it was tagged as spam.  Oh well – it looks like a really interesting little game and is certainly a philosophical forebear of the Global Conflicts game.  It’s abandonware as well, so you can get it for free, but the author wants people to email him and let him know why they wanted to play the game and what they thought.  Interesting concept if you ask me.

Tom says:

My personal opinion, informed by my morals and my gut, is that we should go in and fix what our forebearers have messed up.  My intellectual opinion, informed by my experiences and knowledge, is that going in and attempting to fix what’s been messed up would be a complete and unmitigated disaster.

Maybe a decade ago, maybe, the West could have made efforts to intervene in Latin America.  Today any goodwill, domestic or international, that would have made an intervention possible has been completely wasted.  If we moved onto soveriegn soil even to avert a humanitarian disaster we would be decried as interlopers and usurpers who are embracing expansionist, modern-day manifest destiny policies.

Right now we already have a mess of our own design to clean up in the Middle East – and this one my generation really can take ownership of.

Luke says:

So it’s OK for us to cause problems for them, but NOT OK for us to try to fix stuff that we’ve messed up in the first place?

There are a ton of problems all over Latin America that are either directly or indirectly a result of US meddling.  Between Manifest Destiny, Banana Republics, and the Cold War, I’m not surprised the USA isn’t seen in a very positive light by many latinos.

On the actual topic of the game, I might check out the demo and see how interesting/appropriate it would be for my Spanish students.

Deamian says:

-Coughs and clears throat, mimicing JT’s voice.-

This game is evil and corrupting because it teaches our people how to(they?) make something profitable out of the latin-america’s problems.

-Normal voice.-

You heard the man. Now let’s stone him I say.

Dark Sovereign says:

I never really understood that line of arguement. Bad shit’s going down, so the West should step in and save the day, despite having no interests at stake? Bull.

The more help you give people, the less likely they are to solve their own problems. Latin America needs to solve itself.

DarkSaber says:

Yeah, I doubt I’ll end up buying the game, but I’ll try the demo. Who knows, even if it’s biased etc etc, it might be fun! The premise reminds of an ancient (mid-80s I think) game called Hidden Agenda where you were the recently appointed leader of a Latin America country and had to sort policies and deal with issues brought to you by people such as families of people who went ‘missing’ under the previous regime to issues from the people responsible for making people ‘disappear’ under the previous regime! It was insanely hard and near impossible to last longer than a year without being deposed or assassinated by one of the factions, or the US or Soviets!

Tom says:

I think the game is a good idea and welcome more games that deal with serious issues.  Also, I like the idea of having a journalist as a protagonist.  I do, however, have a problem with this statement: "Yet it is only when Western interests in the region are threatened that we hear anything about the nations that struggle with paramilitary rule, extreme poverty and exploitation of the population."

It always bothers me when people imply that the West should get involved in some circumstances because you know that whatever the situation is and whatever happens there’s going to be a tremendous outcry about how the West is being imperialistic and evil.  Yes, there is paramilitary rule, extreme poverty and exploitation of the population – and if anyone in the West tries to change things they’ll be decried as "meddlers" who are interfering with national independence.

DarkSaber says:

Also worth commenting on this from their press release:

Wouldn’t it be more accurate and less biased to say:

Many countries have dark histories of genocide, widespread corruption; and systematic exploitation of the indigenous population.

Zevorick says:

Personally, i’d give the game a go. The worst thing that can happen is you learn another persons perspective on a political powder keg. People should be more open to the point of view of others. At least they’re trying to bring something to light, be it a misconstrued portrayal or not.

Jackalman says:

It’s still amusing to me how ignorant people can get, the "coup" was a self-made attempt at martirization about which most of the Venezuelans did not even care, in fact, many actually hoped he was killed. Chavez is a fauxly imposed dictator and a cold-blood killer that deserves every single bit of bad criticism he can get

Get informed

Anonymous says:

Well, the Venezuelan government has a good point.  Chavez was elected constitutionally, and it’s pretty clear that the US was a major player in the coup that ousted him for… what was it, 24 hours?… until the Venezuelan people made it clear that they wouldn’t let the coup stand.  It was quite obvious who the bad guys were in that debacle, and it wasn’t the Chavez government.  These days things might have taken a turn for the worse in Venezuela, but US coup attempts can tend to promote a feeling of paranoia, even in constitutionally elected presidents.  After all, look what happened to Allende in Chile.

DarkSaber says:

Question is, what makes a COPENHAGEN based company ‘the’ authority on producing an educational game about the state of Latin America? After poking around their website it seems all they are trying to do is push their own views onto students.

Classic quote from the site:

Instead of someone telling you how it is; you get to experience it and work it out.

This is an uncredited Student Quote off their site. All the quotes are funny anyway, because they seem to be raving about a game that hasn’t been released yet, nor has a demo out yet, but more specifically, this comment is funny because it is talking about playing a game where the developers ARE TELLING YOU HOW IT IS!!!!!