God of War Designer David Jaffe Reduces Sarah Palin Candidacy to Lowest Common Denominator

David Jaffe, creative genius behind the God of War and Twisted Metal series, isn’t one to keep silent, but sometimes he probably should.

Jaffe posted a stream-of-consciousness video to his blog on Saturday from his office. At 3:40 into the video he segues into a rant about Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin:

The VP pick… I think she’s, you know, kind of cute. She’s the perfect definition of a MILF. Not to, you know, disparage her or anything. I’m not trying to sort of make it about that, but it’s like that’s what I see when I look at her. I didn’t love Hillary but I looked at her and I saw experience and intelligence… you look at this woman and you see a MILF. That’s what you see.

Her experience doesn’t really seem to indicate that she would be all that great as a vice-president and certainly not a president. What are they thinking…

GP: Palin’s lack of experience is certainly subject to discussion. Her attempted book banning, definitely. However the MILF comment is rather far beyond the pale, especially for someone of Jaffe’s stature.

Monte says:

Yes McCain has been wanting to do offshore drilling, BUT he has said ‘no’ to drilling in the wild life reserves… which is something Palin is in favor of

Lou ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

What the heck are you talking about? McCain has said that he wants to do off shore drilling and even alasak since Mid july. Unless he changed his mind again. Sometimes I think McCain is the new Kerry.

Let me make this clear, I WAS a huge John McCain mark. I thought the guy had character and integrity but lately I have found his rationale is erratic and at times right down desperate. His selection of VP has clearly proved to me thaat he is less fit to lead this nation than Obama. There were a lot more qualified people to be nominated as VP but why choose somone who is pretty much a stranger to politics in the lower 48. To poach Female Votes from Hillary? HAH that’s a laugh, the average Hillary supporter is a pro-choice, anti-gun and anti-war woman and she is the opposite. I doubt she can hold her own on a debate (Biden will chew her off in the VP debates). I don’t know I got completely turned off by McCain lately even thou I rooted for him in 2000.

Now about the MILF comment yeah I think it’s a bit out of line but last time I check he is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else so this article is not what GP is all about.

Steve ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I really hope that people don’t read this forum and assume that gamers are anything like you, mate. That was harsh, petty, and uncalled for. Misogynism is an ugly trait – sort it out, son – we’re in the 21st century now.

Steve ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Now I know this is a hot topic, so I’m just going to ask a rhetorical question:

Do you know how abortion *actually* works? It’s very traumatic – it’s not like a magic wand gets waved over a bird’s (or "girl", if you’re in the US) uterus and the baby / collection of cells / whatever disappears.

My point is that while the rape will definitely have been traumatic, most people just think abortion is fantastic and will make everything better. There are psychological consequences when you have an abortion (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6543986?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed et al.) – it’s not a silver bullet.

Maybe, just maybe – having the kid would be better that aborting it. I can’t prove it either way – my agenda here is only to promote open-mindedness.

Steve ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’d like to speak on behalf of the entire forum, but I can’t, so I’ll just say (from me):

Thanks ever so much for your contribution. I mean, where else could we go to hear unsubstantiated rumours?

What a waste of electrons.

Monte says:

Actually, McCain has said he does not want to drill in Alaska, Palin on the other hand has always been in favor of more drilling. If McCain wanted to drill in alaska, Palin would have gave him the ‘ok’ regardless of the VP spot… Ya her record makes her seem rather anti-environment (drilling in wildlife reserves, polar bears, no global warming)

The way i see it, the reason McCain chose Palin is because most other republican women who are more qualified for the VP position tend to be moderate, pro-choice, pro-gay, or pro/anti something that is a traditional far-right republican stance… she’s the one of the few woman that is far-right and that would not hurt his conservative base (ofcourse there are plenty of man who would be more qualified that would also keep him in good with his base)

Xen says:

David Jaffe,

As a fellow game developer I just want to start by congratulating you on the great games you’ve made.  Keep it up.

When it comes to politics you have to ‘read between the lines’.  No matter how anyone wants to justify McCains decision for VP for this, that, or the other reason – as you implied in your blog "none of it really adds up".  Allow me to share with you two simple facts, once put together adds it ALL up.

1. Palin is the Governor of Alaska

2. McCain wants to drill for oil in Alaska wildlife reserves

Who do you think needs to give the OK for fact number 2?  That’s right, it’s fact number 1.

Who do you think put in a bid for fact number 2 in exchange for the VP pick?  That’s right, fact number 1 did

Even though there were more qualified republicans to run for VP, none of them can promise fact number 2 like fact number 1 could.

When you look at it that way the choice was obvious.

Do you agree?

At least it isn’t as bad or nearly stupid as the shit P.Diddy/Puffy/Sean Combs/Stay Puft/Burger King or whatever he’s decided to call himself this week.

Father Time says:

You jump to conclusion pretty quickly.

Explain to me how saying you find one particular women attractive (in your answer you may want to elaborate on how his opinions on one particular women mean anything about his views on women in general).

Oh and Jaffe attended USC, and two minutes of research could’ve told you that.

Father Time says:

Look I know it’s Dave Jaffe, I respect the man’s body of work and the man himself (huge twisted metal fan), but is this really necessary for gamepolitics? It’s the man’s personal opinion not him speaking as a game designer but just his opinion. If Kutagari or one of the head Nintendo guys said something about the next Japanese election would it get a post here?

If Jaffe were to dwelve deeper into politics or be involved in some controversy over one of his games (thai government not whistanding) then I’d see a reason to put it up here (sort of) but as it stands this just seems so pointless. It doesn’t seem like a slow news day so why bother with this?

Monte says:

The way i think a lot of people see it now, it’s got less to do with experience and more to do with issues and stances… Obama’s what the democrats got stuck with and now theygot to work with it… And for a lot of democrats, ANY democrat including an inexperienced one is better than a conservative; Atleast the democrat will TRY to give you what you want, while the republican will undermine everything you stand for… what’s the point of experience and such if its gonna be used against your interests? Though ofcourse, that’s not why a lot of people voted for and continue to support Obama in the first place, but it is how a number of his current supporters feel (particually the ones who once part of Clinton’s fold)…

Personally, i think the a REAL "maverick" move for McCain would have been for him to choose Leiberman(even though i don’t like him). The two of them have been so close throughout this entire campaign and plenty of people believe that McCain really did want to take Leiberman… But he was afraid he would loose his conservative base and thus bent to the will of the republicans to choose someone from the far right…

Kris says:

Speaking as a woman… what he said is not really not bad.  Saying a woman is hot is not sexism.  Saying you want to fuck her is not sexism.  Now, if he had said she couldn’t do the job because she’s hot or that nothing else matters because she’s hot… those are sexist.  But that’s not what he’s saying.  He’s saying that he looks at her and sees a hot woman… because she has no experience, no there’s nothing else to see.

Anonymous says:

Not experienced enough for VP, eh?

Why is Obama then a good choice for Prez with no experience?

I’m no fan of either candidate, but I’d choose an inexperienced VP over an inexperienced Prez anyday.

Anonymous says:

how the hell is that sexist? Do you know what a MILF is? If he came out and said "yeah, i’d do her" would that be sexist? no, it could be taken as perhaps offensive or out of line, but it’s not sexist!

Anonymous says:

if the rumors are true, her youngest is actually her first grandchild….. It’s happened before, and when she agreed to raise her daughters child as her own she had NO IDEA she’d be running for VP one day.

Anonymous says:

Idiot! we all know Obama’s true terrorist pal is David Ayers. granted, no credible news source has mentioned it, and you ‘d think the McCain campaign would have picked up on it by now, but I read it in a chain email, SO it must be true!

black manta says:

David Jaffe pretty much said what most red-blooded American males (me included) are thinking.  So kudos to him.  I beleive you ought to be free to say what you think, and it’s a shame that those who do, like Jaffe – or myself for that matter – catch hell for it.  I may be called blunt or even tactless, but I think I ought to be able to tell people exactly what I’m thinking so people know exactly how I feel about something.   Sure, I may get in trouble for it at times, but I feel better being brutally honest than having to hold my tongue and be silent, and I’m not afraid to call ’em as I see ’em.

So in that respect, David Jaffe is a man after my own heart.  I fully agree, she’s a MILF.  And even if I disagree with her politcally, I would still bang her.  She was pretty hot in her younger pictures, too.

"Don’t damn me when I speak my piece of mind, ’cause silence isn’t golden when I’m holding it inside.  ‘Cause I’ve been where I have been and I’ve seen what I have seen.  I put the pen to the paper, ’cause it’s all a part of me.

Be it a song or a casual conversation, to hold my tongue speaks of quiet reservations.  Your words, once heard, the can place you in a faction.  My words may disturb, but at least there’s a reaction."  – Axl Rose, "Don’t Damn Me"

"Just because I don’t say it don’t mean I ain’t thinkin’ it." – Dave Mustaine, "Holy Wars (The Punishment Due)"

ecco6t9 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This guy makes a few great games and suddenly he matters?

Wasn’t he the one harping to SCEA about a rabid anti-Bush game? He is nothing more than a celebertard please keep your views out of music,games and movies.

Pizzª_کLﮞT ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You know,  Jaffe made (as still makes) great games, but just like Hollywood Celeberties, I don’t give a fuck what he has to say about anything that isn’t related to gaming. (I know GP needs to report this and I’m not knocking you for doing so, GP) I care about what Jaffe has to say about politics as much as I care what Paris Hilton has to say about global warming…. which is not at all.

Ben ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

No, her last name dosent sound like "Osama," and her middle name isn’t a terrorist name, so Fox wont take any interest. They’ll keep on ragging about Barack Hussein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obama.

Ben ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Your right, but Dennis also has a right to express his views. If he thinks Jaffe’s comment was sexist, he has a right to report on it. Everyones entitled to their own opinion, which is why its sometimes silly when people get worked up over it.

So yeah…that’s pretty much it. He said something that was a tad rude, but understandable as he’s a heterosexual male. Umm…yep. That’s about all I get from this. Later.

-Remember kids, personal responsibility is for losers! For information on games and psychology, look up: Jonathan Freedman(2002)Block & Crain(2007) Just to name a few…

Les says:

Honestly, it’s his personal blog and it’s his personal opinion and he has a right to express it. I’m sure he’s not the only person to have that thought cross their mind. If folks don’t like it then don’t watch his video blogs. Not sure I see why he should feel the need to censor his honest opinions. Not like he has to worry about being fired from his company, he owns it.

Ben ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t see why people are complainging about GP reporting on this. He can report on whatever he wants to, and besides, it was a little rude what Jaffe said.

Anyway, why should we worry about which stories we consider "newsworthy" as long as we can have healthy disscussions and arguments about them. I for one enjoy the reading the comments on here and adding my two cents, some people just get too worked up about it.

Anonymous says:

"The VP pick… I think she’s, you know, kind of cute. She’s the perfect definition of a MILF."

Yeah, that was a little sexist. I mean, I know sexism is rampant within the game development community, but that was a pretty sexist comment to make.

Also the comment about hillary being "experienced" is ridiculous. He must not be very well educated.

F**ked Up says:

Think about it? nah. If he doesnt feel like he crossed the line he shouldnt give it a second thought. just because you think he crossed the line doesnt mean he should all of a sudden be think of needing to apologize. If this was the case then we all should think about apologizing to he who shall not be name every time he gets offended. Yeah, like we are going to that.

F**ked Up says:

The Question then is what is out of line? Where you may draw the line can be different from where I draw the line. Do not say where the majority of people draw the line because as of lately the so called "majority" has been reduce to those who scream the loudest, the craziest, or the ones given air time.

Steve ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You do have the right to free speech, but you also have to be responsible with your speech – especially if you choose to broadcast it on a medium that has no delete button (the intarwebs). If you say something that’s out of line, you should apologise.

Disclaimer: this is a logical argument that is not a comment or opinion on this exact story.

C. Aaron Browbowski Jr. says:

friggin’ looks that way, eesh! that’s kind of gross, i’d rather pull my toenails off than try to bang Palin

Jesus Jack Jones Thompson told me to do it!

frito says:

to the poster who said the VP has hardly any real power..

obviously you have never met Dick Cheney…you really think George W. ACTUALLY DOES ANYTHING????

wake up man.

Fallenone ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Bah, I call foul for once on Dennis. That is his own personal blog. He can say what he wants, and it should be fine. I don’t care what his "stature" is. I mean what the hell is his "stature"? He made Twisted Metal and God of War? Wow, I don’t expect anything from him, but New Yorker material…right.

Regardless, she is a Milf. So?

Anonymous says:

Thank you for finally bringing this up. COnservatives bitch about the ”liberal media” and yet no headlines announce the fact that Pailin has endorsed a group that calls for the destruction of the federal govt.

Duffy says:

To add: do you *really* want an experienced politician? I mean it’s not like any of these guys are experts in the various fields they have to deal with, and look what the "experienced" politicians have done for use. Personally I rather have someone who isn’t ingrained and has a decent sense of right and wrong.

Sukasa says:

Funny thing about the "experience" debate is that the republican party would not elect Lincoln as president since he has pretty much similar level of experience as Obama does, and yet most would consider Lincoln one of our greatest Presidents.  If you can find it still, Time did an interesting piece back in March about this and looked at the "experience" of every president that has been elected(before they were elected).  For example, "George Washington was a national hero, but the least political experienced amoung them(founders)."  Andrew Jackson, Zachary Taylor, Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, Chester A. Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, William H. Taft, Woodrow Wilson, Herbert Hoover, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush all had less political experience then Obama (in years served) at state and federal levels.  Course, the founders were (minus Washington) had higher levels of political experience then most of the presidents we have had.  The 2 most "experienced" were James Buchanan and Andrew Johnson and they failed miserably where Lincoln, who served between them, with less experience achieved greatness.  Just an interesting point about the "experience" argument.

Anonymous says:

How is she any less qualified for VP, that has little government control, than Obama for President.  At least she has run some area of government, instead of the nothing that Obama has.  He even voted against his own legislation when he realized it was unpopular.

Duffy says:

As far as I know it never got that far. The version I read said she was looking into the legality of banning books upon the request of some voters. She was told "no that can’t be done" and that was the end of it.

As a side note, I notice a lot of people complaining she enforces her values, which according to a few examples i’ve seen is wrong. Unlike her counterparts elsewhere she has not attempted to pass an unconstituional bill or hinder a constitutional one because she disagrees with it (at least in what I’ve dug up or read so far). You can find a few examples, the one that I think has been mentioned in the media is her support of the gay-marriage benefits bill.

Someone will probably eventually bring up the state-trooper "scandal" which is a little murky, but from what I have read and heard she fired the guy in charge of overseeing the troopers because he did not take care of an incident of child and possible spousal abuse. She was particularly aware of the incident as it was her sister or something. The officer in question used his stun gun on his 10 year old son (that much is verified, the variety used by officers records uses, if they find an unreported use on one, they question you). He claimed "he asked me to do it". Regardless, if he did it he should have been punished, if not fired out right. It was never done, and I’m sure through some BS contract she could not directly do anythign to him, so when the guy in charge of state police oversight did nothing for a year, she fired him. That’s my jist of it, granted I don’t know how much is true aside from the officer did in fact use the stun gun on his 10 year old.

Anonymous says:

"If you will recall … we took a list of 31 crucial votes since the 109th congress.  We eliminated from that list all unanimous Senate votes … and figured out that McCain actually votes "with Bush,"  (That means with the Republicans), about 45% of the time when the vote is (1) meaningful and, (2) not unanimous.  Again .. only a Democrat with Bush Derangement Syndrome could get his boxers in a wad over McCain voting "with Bush" on a resolution commending a basketball team."

Just thought I’d throw that out there.

Anonymous says:

The rest of ya gun slingers should read Rolling Stone September issue (#1060)

5 million is borderline with middle class. You’ve gotta be fucking kiddin’ me.

Anonymous says:

Considering that McCain voted for Bush policies over 90% of the time…. They really must "hate" each other pretty deeply. And if John McCain truly does hate George Bush… He should stop because they have a lot in common. They could be good friends!!! Hell they could even date.

BravO))) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Incase you didn’t watch the news when McCain won the nomination, Bush didn’t endorse McCain for president.  Bush only will support him because McCain is with the republicians.  It’s like you help out your team even if you hate you quarterback.

BravO))) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Thanks for telling people to do some research.  Talking on this site reminds me of fanboys yelling at each other over the superiority between ati and nvidia.  If you really care about your country, you guys will stop taking sides and look at what is being done.  McCain, he wants us to finish up the war (do any of you guys know the problems that would have happened if we did that… think about it from a neutral point of view, not like a hippie.  No one likes war, but sometimes it is the only way).  Obama, he wants to ban all semi autimatic guns (while most people think that banning guns will decrease violence, people can still kill with a rock as equally well).  History has shown that if anyone is going to ban something, it will be the democrates.  Al Gore and his wife is now the reason behind censoreship in music.  What about the experience part of it… Obama a politician for only two years verses a vp candidate that had been in politics since the 90’s.  I don’t see what GP is trying to point out here with the subject of experience.

Anonymous says:

The telling difference between Obama and Palin is this – Obama probably knows what the Vice President’s job is.

I mean, you have to be living in Cloud Cuckoo Land if you think that McCain’s camp is even moderately competent to be the next administration.  Now they’d be hard pressed to do worse than Bush, but the VP pick doesn’t exactly instill confidence in those of us who are able to think.

GameOver says:

Both parties are bought and paid for by the New World Order, so it doesn’t matter between Democrats and Republicans.  Do your research on all the canidates.

jParadox says:

Not like it would matter anyways.

IYR, the President doesn’t run this country. Only Congress and the Senate runs this country. The President and Vice President is nothing more than a face for a country. Nothing more.

Oh sure, they can sign bills, but only if Congress and the Senate approve said bill!

Honestly, I don’t want to see any of those jokers in office. None of them are winning over this independent voter… ‘sides, if I vote this year, I might be forced into jury duty, and I’ll be too busy for jury duty.

Geryon says:

That seems to me to be one of the reasons she was picked, that is her "human regular Joe" quality.  Although that sometimes might tip the scale that is not a reason to vote for anyone.  Look at the issues, I do not like political dynasties but I would not vote for her because she is so far off from my ideals.

That’s one thing I hate about living in Canada, it’s mostly a choice between the Conservatives, who I don’t agree with usually, and the Liberals, who despite the name are more fence sitters than anything else.  Of course there is the NDP but they won’t ever get a majority and on some issues they are too far left for me.  Frankly I would probably like the Bloc the most if it were not the separatist factor.

Errr, anyway I prefer Obama but I kinda dislike him for the same reason as the Liberals, he seems a bit wishy washy, but I could easily be wrong.

Why did the Canadian cross the road?
    To get to the middle.

That’s a pretty neat take on it.

hellscaper says:

Come on. Really? NO experience is better than someone with SOME experience?

If that’s the case, I’m applying right now to studio head of Kojima Productions. Fuck them if they think I need this so-called "experience".

GrimCW ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

hmm i dunno bout the inexperience thing, IMHO, and most of my families for that matter, she’s PERFECT for the job BECAUSE she’s inexperienced.

she’s not some born and raised politician who knows NOTHING of the normal life, and hasn’t lived out there, and only in a sheletered political world of lies and bullox.

she’s a human, not a political creature forged from the ground up as just such.

i’m still undecided who i’d prefer, but i do know McCain won my fathers vote at least, as she’s the kind of human he wants to see up there (and hopes McCain crokes so she can be)

the problem  why the gov is so screwy atm IMHO, is cause theres to few humans on the bench anymore, its all inbred politicians. people born into strictly political families, who’ve only known politics, and politics rule their very existance.

they never lived a normal life, they’ve only lived rich silver spoon sucking lives at the expense of the tax payers dollar.

Sukasa says:

Probably the reason GP posted about the book banning is that if someone is willing to ban books they disagree with for whatever reason, its not a far stretch that would be willing to ban music, movies or video games that they find "offensive" or "un-christian".  If we were to play the offensive card for whatever item we would find a store that we don’t like, there will be nothing left in stores.  Some christians will object to there being erotic books/magazines in a store and ask they be pulled for being offensive(it happens at the store I work) and likely some non-christian could ask that bibles should be pulled because they find it offensive.  Anyway GP has posted before when Obama made comments in regards to gaming.  If people really don’t like what GP posts…there is nothing or no one making you come to this website to view the content.  Just like the above example, if you dont like Playboy magazines in a store, don’t go running around looking for it and then complaing it should be pulled.  If Palin was willing in her time of gov’t service to ban books at a library, then that should be considerd as part of her record (anyone found out what books she wanted banned?).

Anonymous says:

Can we stop bashing Sarah Palin please?  Banning books has nothing to do with video games!  Especially when she actually didn’t ban anything!  Let us look at more relevant comments about video games from Biden or Obama, why hasn’t that received the same amount of attention as some loud mouthed game designer from GP?

Shame on you GP.

chris19283 says:

No, Obama was just politically "raised" in one of the most corrupt political systems in the country. And took to it like a fish to water.

Anyone who thinks Obama is some plucky outsider is a tool of the highest order.

Anonymous says:

Give me a break with the MILF comment stuff. A man can’t say that Sarah Palin is an attractive woman. Because really that’s all she has goin. She’s in trouble with her ethics in Alaska which could possibly tear the republican ticket apart. Her underage daughter is pregnant. Show’s she really doesn’t have that much control of her family. She keeps saying that she was against the bridge to nowhere. If you watch older debate videos of her race to the governers office of Alaska you’ll see she supported the bridge ALOT! So she will bring down the republicans this time around

Anonymous says:

do you not know what a MILF is? It’s an accurate statement. She’s a mother of 5 (maybe only 4) and somewhat hot for a 44 year old. MILF is an opinion (hence why the I in it is for "I’d")

Austin_Lewis says:

She is the only one with any real executive experience, and after McCain, the only one with any proven leadership ability.

She’s got more experience than Obama, that’s for sure.  Of course, if you’re looking for legislative experience, Biden trumps everyone, but the President isn’t a legislative position, it’s an executive position.

Shih Tzu says:

McCain’s done a decent job of energizing the Republican base, which had been lukewarm to him up until now.  But with the selection of an extreme religious conservative like Palin, he’s also turning off the independents he needed to court if he wanted any chance of winning.  Democrats are already fired up for Obama, and even more so now with Palin’s reintroduction of the old Bush-style pandering.  Thanks to eight years of Bush, there are many more self-identified Democrats than Republicans these days, and if Obama and McCain both rally their bases (which they are doing) and independents are put off by the extremism of the Republican party (remember, the Republicans still cling to widely unpopular positions supporting endless war in Iraq and opposition to things like stem-cell research or gays in the military), the numbers heavily favor Obama.

Palin, as the embodiment of Republican values, serves Democratic needs very well.

Haggard says:

All the games he’s made have been of very high quality though, regardless of the themes. Games aren’t made by idiots. They just depend on how idiotic the publishers are.

Hevach ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The vice president has as much or little power as the president gives them. Gore wasn’t really seen much in Clinton’s presidency, but Cheny has usually been at the center of things. Some presidents relied heavily on their cabinet, others just lined them up once in a while to ignore what they say.

GameOver says:

It all depends on what VP we are talking about.  For one, if you think George Bush is calling the shots, you’re sadly mistaken.  The brains behind this evil presidency is Dick Cheney. Period.

Michael Brooks ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You really have no idea what you’re talking about if you think Cheney doesn’t have any power.

As for this nitwit’s comment … it doesn’t surprise me at all. The God of War series is shallow tripe, quite obviously designed by a macho dumbass. Genius? Stature? Don’t make me laugh. This guy’s a joke.

Tom says:

He wasn’t leading in the polls and if Palin’s job is to get him elected then it certainly hasn’t worked on this independent.  In fact, I’m less likely then ever to vote for McCain now.

Anonymous says:

Yea, cheyney has very little power..

And yea, McBush being very few years away from expiration date,… the VP becoming president is a very real possiblity.

GTCv Deimos says:

I’d agree with you…

well lets face it… it’s cute how Jaffe thinks any of us give a damn as to what he thinks…

Seriously… his opinion ranks lower than Michael Moore’s, and Ann Coulter in mah book.

I agree about the whole "not seeing experience" thing, but yeah…the MILF comment was kinda uncool…

AKDLT says:

I can tell you that Jaffe has no need to apologise.  Alaskans have fun with the fact that Palin is hot (she is featured in Vogue magazine) and the Gov. is cool with it.  She doesn’t flaunt it or use it as a tool to get her way, except maybe against idiots that think "what is this pretty little thing gonna do to me!"

I sure hope Obama and his crew don’t take her lightly, and neither should any of you.

relax_guy ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

his post seems a fairly tongue in cheek response to the notion that she was  made vp because she is an atractive woman.

and honestly, does that seem too far off?

did we even know about her 3 weeks ago? i think everybody here needs to give their head a shake.. he’s a private citizen making a SNIDE, slightly off-colour joke?

ask yourself, if david letterman said this  would you all be so irate?  i’m not saying you’d laugh… but jesus.. RELAX

akdlt says:

Maybe you should check out some facts before you start running off at the mouth.  instead of listening to everything the media makes up to throw at you, why not see what she has done in her 20 months as governor of the "wealthiest state" in the union and what she did prior to that. (if you can figure out what that was, I will be impressed! Hint: not mayor of wasilla.)

See also; approval polls, first female governor.

Fact: when Palin was mayor of wasilla the population was about 5,000.  Now, wasilla is the 4th largest city in alaska and most of the change, for the better, is due to what palin accomplished.

I guess we will see what happens when Obamamama gets elected, has our troops pull out of Iraq and taxes the f*** out of us.  Oh, and takes away everyones guns, just to make sure we don’t go all hillbilly on anyone.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to take my dogsled back to my igloo.

Monte says:

Ya, and last i checked Bush has 5 years of governorship under his belt before he became president. Palin’s executive experience doesn’t mean much when you consider that she’s barely done anything outside of alaska; kinda hard to run the county when you don’t know(or care) about 99% of it; not to mention dealing with the rest of the world.

Her minimal executive experience does not excuse the fact that there are numerous republicans that would have been FAR more qualified for the job, including female ones… which is the real point the media wants to say about the Palin pick… why did McCain overlook women far more qualified and went with Palin? Simple reason i’m finding, a lot of republican women are moderate republicans; some are pro-choice, some support gays, and some just work across the aisle a lot more often… The fact hita home even more when you think about how McCain abandoned like every moderate stance he had for like the last 8 years to please his conservative base (i’d feel so much better if McCain of 2000 was running instead)… McCain looked at his VP short list and said "i need a woman who won’t hurt my conservative base" and thus he was left with his only choice, a little known governor with very little experience (he could have pleased his base with a lot of male candidates though)… the first big decision a president had to make and McCain blew it big time, dozen’s of people far more qualified and he chose the 100% political choice

Anonymous says:

Small town mayor and then govenor of a state with less people then San Diego? sounds like perfect presidental experience!

Fun fact: when palin started as mayor the town had no debt. when she left the debt was over ten million.

Cidas ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This is actually kind of funny, because I was talking with a few friends about two days ago and made the joke that she was a MILF. What makes it even better, it was between me and a few deaf friends, so we were signing the whole thing…and fingerspelling MILF. I’m sure others around us could figure out what we were saying.

DarkSaber says:

I guess he missed the ‘Game Industry New Behavioural Standards’ memo and just decided to be himself instead of what other people seem to expect him to be.

Verbinator ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

All Jaffe has done is pretty much confirm/reaffirm the popular notion that game developers are immature males. Which annoys me, because it tars me with its broad brush.

As far as being disappointed by the tone GP takes in articles; I long ago recognized that GP pretty much marched in lockstep with other "impartial" journalists … impartial in that they were willing to be open minded towards political points of view espoused by politicians with a (D) in front of their names when they were written about in news stories.

At this point, we do not know Gov. Palin’s attitude towards digital games. But from what I can tell, there’s a lot of folks here hoping she’s Jack Thompson in a skirt so they can feel justified in hating her all the more.

Monte says:

Unfortunately, such logic does not work on some people as they descend into conspiracy theory. In this case, the conspiracy theory is that Bristol being 5 months pregnant is just a ruse to kill the rumors behind trig and we can probably expect her to claim to have a miscarriage after november. It’s a conspiracy to cover the scandal. It’s really the left wing version of "obama is a sleeper terrorist" or a lot of the crazy crap said about him.

Me, i’m become convinced that Trig is Sarah’s son, the son’s whose life she risked to take a 10hr trip back home after her water broke… A texan hospital would have be fine and A LOT safer, but alaska is the ONLY state she gives a damn about; just ask her AIP buddies

DJRazza says:

In regards to this entire rumor that the 5th child isn’t her’s, but is in fact her granddaughter, lets squash this one right now, because its really childish and stupid.

Her youngest child is 3 months old. Palin’s oldest daughter is 5 months pregnant. Maybe you all can figure it out from there.

The rumor originated from Democratic leaning blogs, and a lot of the media ran with it, to the point where a few prominent newspapers actually demanded that the McCain campaign force maternity tests on the baby.

They were so focused on digging up dirt, that they couldn’t do simple arithmetic.

Like or dislike Sarah Palin all you want, but these arguments and rumors that the youngest daughter is not Governor Palin’s need to stop. Not only do they have zero bearing on her viability as a Vice Presidential candidate, but they are patently false anyway.

DarkSaber says:

I think your making too big a deal of it, it’s not nuts, just something that men do actually think about from time to time. It has nothing to do with politics or gaming beyond the two individual people involved in it. All this shows is that he is a perfectly normal member of the human race who is completely not caring about her daughter being pregnant and what this says about her way of doing things and instead passing the time thinking "I don’t really care what’s going on, but she’s pretty hot".

Yes, heaven forbid the guy can have and express an opinion about something other than his game that isn’t dripping with PR spin.  Of course, we have to associate his statements with the industry as a whole rather than just disagreeing and not watching them anymore.

DarkSaber says:

Yes, but has ANYONE outside the game industry payed this ‘story’ the SLIGHTEST bit of attention? ‘Man finds woman sexy’ doesn’t appear to be as sensational in the real world as gamers are apparantly supposed to think it is.

Werrick says:

I agree Denis… the MILF comment was a little much, I found myself cringing when I watched it earlier on Kotaku.

I was mildly disappointed in Jaffe… but more so I was cringing because it simply represents another angle that gaming critics can take in order to paint us poorly.

DarkSaber says:

I am thoroughly disgusted with GP and the blatant bias that has been coming through recently in these electoral articles. ‘lowest common denominator’, when I was here last night the article was just titled that he called her a ‘MILF’.

Looks like Dennis found a high horse since then. This website will fight to to the death for developers rights to make over-the -top violent games, but should a designer of one of those violent games call a VP candidate MILF, suddenly he’s ‘lowering the tone’ and GP gets all preachy and judgemental. Stick to reporting actual stories, your agenda pushing is getting tiresome GamePolitics.

ZippyDSMlee says:

She is a MILF,  altho it is a damned if you do damned if you don’t situation, he tried something different got flack for it if he didn’t he would still have gotten flack…. IMO both reapers and dims made poor VP picks….

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

Steve ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

And if you could do things better than the incumbent, then go for it! The thing about politics is that it’s all a popularity contest – a great deal of them have no real skills other than managing people (which is really all a politician is – the manager of a country).

My opinion is that politicians are frustrated in their ability to effect change, because of one lobby group or another. I’m sure other factors come into it. Mrs. Palin is off the beaten track and it’s quite possible that no lobby groups have approached her yet. Therefore she’ll not owe anything to anybody (yet) and will be free to choose a course of action that makes the most sense (to her).

sheppy says:

Pretty much.  Jaffe’s a good man and a straight talker.  It’s in his straight talking moments, that he takes the PR muzzle off, that you get quotes like this.

If GP actually FOLLOWED his blog instead of looking for sound bites to discredit the man, they’d see he was constantly posting images from Death Race and yes, even posted a couple porno bloopers with NSFW tags all over it.  Somehow his saying Milf isn’t disappointing in the slightest and actually FITS his blog.

Of course then you wouldn’t get all the awesome posts here pretty much bashing Jaffe again.  I swear, the games consumers love their villians.  Jack Thompson, Uwe Boll, David Jaffe… all have pitchforks waiting anytime they speak.

BravO))) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t know what GP has recently been doing, but it sounds more and more bias.  For you to concider this to be true about her experience… How long has Obama been in the senate?  Do the research.  Lately I have been seeing a lot of back in forth from both fronts with straight lies that they have heard from somewhere else.  Fact is, if you think that McCain is the next Bush, you are sadly mistaken.  If you guys would have done some homework you would have found out that McCain hates Bush with a passion… mainly for what they did to McCain in South Carilina in the 2000 primarys (which was wrong and distasteful on all points).  And if you guys want to talk about McCain voting 80 percent with Bush on the war issue (try joining the military and find out why)… plus McCain was sort of forced into siding with him.  Remember when Mrs. Clinton was all about free health care in the early 90’s?  We almost had it, but millions of dollars into her pocket fixed that problem… So much for helping out the people.  I know both parties have there problems, >>>BUT MOST PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOR PROBLEMS INSTEAD OF LOOKING FOR WHAT THEY HAVE DONE.<<<

jdun says:

Are you fellowing the polls? McCain was leading the polls before the Democrat’s convention. He is going to lead after the Republican’s convention. The VP only job is to get the boss elected. The VP has very little power in the government other the breaking deadlock and taking over the boss job if he is dead or able.

Brokenscope says:

Are you an outspoken and generally respected/hated and well known member of the games industry that most people ,who have any involvemnt in the industryor atleast follow it closely, know the name of?

Anon Y. Moose (no relation) says:

And yet, here you present it for discussion…

This is absolutely true. I think it’s a stretch to call this article worthy of "GamePolitics" — the only thing in common is that it’s the politics of a game designer. I mean, I play games. So is my opinion valid enough to be featured here?

Anonymous says:

"GP: The experience issue is certainly subject to discussion. However the MILF comment is rather far beyond the pale, especially for someone of Jaffe’s stature."

And yet, here you present it for discussion…

Snipehunter says:

Someone of his stature?  His /Stature/?!  What stature?  Making a couple of popular games doesn’t elevate you to godhead, genius or really… anything.  Being good at your job doesn’t mean anything but that: being good at your job.

Why would you put this guy on a pedestal like that?  He’s just a guy.  We’re all just guys and gals in this industry; there are no experts.

Stinking Kevin says:

"…rather far beyond the pale, especially for someone of Jaffe’s stature."

I thought that was funny too. Seemed to me Jaffe’s celebrity is pretty much based on being "beyond the pale."

Awww…that’s mean…