Game Love Triangle: Square-Enix wants Tecmo but Tecmo wants Koei

Business Week reports that Tecmo, uneasy with the prospect of being acquired by much larger Square Enix, has sought refuge in the arms of fellow small publisher Koei:

When Japanese video game developer Square Enix unveiled its "friendly" offer to buy rival Tecmo last week, analysts and investors applauded. The two companies seemed a natural fit: Square Enix’s Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series had a huge following among diehards in Japan, while Tecmo’s Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive fighting games were popular in the U.S. and Europe. To sweeten the deal, Square Enix President Yoichi Wada pledged to preserve the Tecmo brand. He gave Tecmo’s management a week to think it over.

At the deadline, Tecmo told Square Enix "thanks, but no thanks," and said it was exploring a merger with Koei. From the report:

Tecmo didn’t give a reason for going with Koei. But size appears to have been one issue: Rather than getting swallowed up, Tecmo may have wanted something closer to a marriage of equals…

Industry executives say Japan’s midsize game developers are prime takeover targets. Many of them have a strong record at home but limited exposure overseas. A suitor with a worldwide network—particularly in the U.S. and Europe—could take a niche Japanese developer stuck in a stagnant market and create a global mainstream franchise.

This one’s not over, at least not yet. Square Enix has asked Tecmo to explain how Koei’s deal was better for shareholders than its offer and may continue its pursuit of Tecmo.

j0k3r says:

Thanks good job;

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing travesti or little and need to start saving costs. and dizi izle

Now I don’t have to get off my ass for the important shit anymore!

Whats next, ordering pizza from Xbox live?

Wait… I think that sounds like a good idea.

But I think voting should MAKE you get off your ass, and see outside or a second while you go vote. I mean, your picking the president of the United States of America for God’s Sake… least you can do is drive down there and punch out a card.

oto kirlama says:

I’m all for freedom of ttnet vitamin speech and allowing rent a car game makers to put whatever they want in games, but there’s one thing about this app that has me scratching my head.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but from araç kiralama the previous article araba kiralama on this I gathered that players can use Google maps in-game to find the other (real-life?) dealers in their area.  If this is the case, has travesti anyone considered what’s stopping someone from using this app to actually move drugs between hands for reals?

But majority araba kiralama of their outrage araç kiralama stems from what it could DO TO children, not the content itself.  Talk to one of these people and you’ll find they don’t think any books kiralık araba should be banned from children.  Mention American Psycho and they talk about kiralık araç the redeeming value of using imagination to construct a story.  Reading, no matter what the content, is largely viewed as a consequenceless activity for people of any age.  The reason why I mention American Psycho is because of the content itself.  Gaming never has and likely never will have any scenes where someone has sex with a severed head.  Not gonna happen.  Yet despite this, they’ll fight tooth and nail to protect their children from two boys kissing in Bully but whatever they read is harmless… yeah.

The entire arguement is kiralık oto based upon a social normality inflicted by luddites who can’t figure out the controls for Halo so it’s frightening and terrifying and obviously the cause of youth violence on the rise even though, in reality, it’s in decline (which is actually a HUGE suprise given minibüs kiralama the economies status).  In  a perfect world, we would have parents that actually parent.  The idea of sales restrictions on media on oto kiralama any form to accomidate parental unwillingness to get involved with their child’s life is the real problem to me.  Here I am, 32 years old, and being held up at a self-scan rent a car needing to show ID before I can buy a $10 M rated game all because Soccer Momthra can’t be bothered to look at the crap Billy Genericallystupidson does in his free time.  It’s too hard for her, so I have to suffer?

Jamesbuc ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I can easily see why this can be good for both Tecmo and Koei. As far as Square-Enix is concerned, yes there is the large worrying factor that thier own gaming series may be diluted by the large company. That worry is probably well-founded too (Look at Game-Arts for instance).

Tecmo though has a large U.S fanbase though not a great JAP one. Koei on the other hand has a whopping JAP fanbase while not a massive one here. Tecmo is losing main staff members. Koei seems to have many (well… judging by the amount of games they churn out). Tecmo also has money, money that would allow Koei to try and branch out and try new types of games. Games that thier previous state wouldnt have allowed to be brought over to the EU/US.

I dont agree with Square being a pile of crap-heap though. Im still enoying FF12 and plan on buying FF13 to waste away some time with… That and Warriors Orochi 2… Damm im a warriors whore.

Ben ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You people hate SE but think Koei is good! There games are terrible in comparison to some of the things SE has made. Koei is nothing special, they haven’t made one truly outstanding game imo.

Its probobly because Koei is more familiar with action than SE.

ecco6t9 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’ve got to dissagree with yous.

Square has proven that with it’s most recent buy out of Taito has been nothing but a benefit as Taito’s games now have worldwise releases and technically by them.

The only thing Square could be doing better is giving Square Production Team 4 it’s name back Quest.

Deep Thorn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I definitely understand Techmo’s position on the idea.  They want their franchises to stay alive and not be abused like bigger companies like EA and Activision do.  Square Enix has abused a few of their franchises a little bit, but I don’t think that was something that they are going to follow through with in current or future games.

Best to play it safe though, merge with Koei, and develope a long term worthwhile partnership.  Most importantly, people are less likely to lose their jobs this way, while merging with a bigger company almost always means many people will lose their jobs at the higher and lower end of the specturm.

mdo7 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Would be cool to see that.  If Square Enix get both Tecmo and Koei.  A lot of cool thing probably would happen.

Dynasty Warriors: Final Fantasy (if you can have gundams, why not have all Final Fantasy characters togethers and have them fight against evil)

Samurai Warriors with Ryu from ninja Gaiden