Halo Named in Accidental Shooting Death of Wisconsin Boy, 11

Police in Watertown, Wisconsin believe that an attempt to imitate Halo may have played a role in the death of an 11-year-old boy from an accidental gunshot.

As reported by the Watertown Daily Times, Joshua Nimm apparently took the day off from school to do some gaming:

[Police] said it appeared… that after playing a combat video game called “Halo,” Nimm took the gun and tried to recreate some of the things that had occurred in the game. With an automatic rifle, [Sgt.] Lee said there can sometimes be confusion over whether it contains a magazine or not, and this confusion likely led to Nimm’s death.

“He took the magazine out and forgot to eject a round that was in the chamber. He probably thought the gun was unloaded,” Lee said.

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

Are you an idiot? (Yes, I know I preached about "no name-calling" and "acting like adults" a few posts ago, but there’s a difference between me and other people: I’m a hypocrite, I’ve come to terms with that, and I have the balls to admit it, unlike most politicians.)

Keeping guns in an "easily accessible location, fully loaded is how this little bastard blew his head off in the first place! The world isn’t like the movie Punisher: people don’t have to install contraptions inside their dresser drawers so they can punch it and have a fully loaded six-shooter slide out so they can cap a giant Swedish/German/Russian dude’s ass before he smashes their face in (although that woud be neat…..God, I loved that movie!) (Yes, I know the guy was supposed to be Russian; that’s still off topic).

Austin_Lewis says:

Same here.  Depending on what door you choose (or if you choose the garage, which is a bad idea in itself) it’ll be at least 15 seconds before you’re near the stairs leading to the top floor which lands at my bedroom, with my child’s bedroom down the hall, and this is assuming my dog doesn’t kill you (he’s very, very mean).  Should you managae to kill or distract my dog, you’d probably find me waiting at the top of the stairs with my AR and my body armor.

Brokenscope says:

Its going to take someone more than 10 seconds to break into my house and get to my room. Cause none of the local punks have even the faintest idea of how to pick a lock.

You also don’t seem to realize that if they are already in your room when you wake up your screwed anyways.

Austin_Lewis says:

I’m a criminologist, trust me, I know all about home defense.  But the thing is, the burden of killing someone would be a lot for a child to handle.  That’s why I have a dog that’s as mean as I am; he’ll kill intruders with no second thought, and my child is safe from the responsibility/guilt.

Sure, some children are able to defend themself at home, and I think that line starts at 13 up.  Other than that, seriously, seriously consider a dog.  Or a loud alarm system, if you have good neighbors that’ll help in a pinch.

Anonymous says:

I didn’t say make your child the one responsible for home defense. You should still make it easy for them to defend themselves. Call the cops, but the cops don’t help much if they aren’t there and if you think someone will hesitate to kill a child when they break into a home, you are quite mistaken.

I don’t understand, honestly, how this child could point the gun at himself to start with.  Whenever a firearm’s barrel is pointed at me, I get anxious, even if I know its not loaded.  I was at a gunshop while some kid who just turned 21 was messing with a glock, and i took it from him and pushed him to the ground when he pointed it at me while checking out the sights.  Teach your children gun safety and that if they fuck around with guns, they won’t have to answer to cops, but to yourself, and they’re less likely to do stupid shit like this kid did."

On this, however, we are in complete and total agreement.

Anonymous says:

5 seconds to open is an empty magazine to your back from an aggressor or a knife to your neck while you stop to get inside. Do you honestly think the assailant is moving slowly here?

Vinzent ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

And who stores a gun with a round in the chamber? An idiot who knows nothing about gun safety. All of the evidence of this article seems to point to the fact that the parents could not teach the child gun safety because they had no fraggin’ idea what it is.

Brokenscope says:

Twat, I have a blind safe that takes 6 specific key presses to open. I can open it in under 5 seconds.

However, none of my roomates would have any idea to open it.

Austin_Lewis says:

To unload it though all you have to do (if you’re an idiot and not one for gun safety) is take out the mag.  Now, if he reinserted the mag and then pulled back on the action, it would seem like this was suicide, not an accident.

Austin_Lewis says:

96% of criminals who commit murder use stolen weapons.

As for the constitution being amendable, you’re right.  We should amend it so we can’t own firearms, and then we should amend it so you can’t speak your mind.  And so you have to quarter troops in your home.

Can you see that slippery slope?

Korax ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That’s a point that has been really getting on my nerves. When you load a weapon, or at least a semi-auto, don’t you have to manually chamber the first round? If I’m right, it means that either the weapon was not only kept loaded but also with the first round chambered, or the kid himself managed to chamber the first round. Help me out here.

Korax ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah, well, I thought about a Darwin Award when I first read the article. Them I remembered there’s a starting age to win said award (16). So no award.

Chuma says:

It’s not the people who own them I am concerned about so much as those that own them and fail to keep them secured and locked up away from those that might steal them.  If you look at the figures, theres a significant quantity of guns used for murders and other crimes that are stolen weapons.  If your 11 year old son isn’t havign trouble grabbing hold of one, I imagine they aren’t secured against those who are willing to smash up the place looking for something.

Your constitutional right is only your right because someone amended the constitution for it to happen; why can’t it be amended again exactly?

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Not an automatic rifle. Read the article please. If it was an automatic, I would agree that parents need to keep that stuff locked up. Frankly, though, I don’t see a problem with keeping a gun out if your kid is responsible enough to not abuse it.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

First off, learn to speak english. Second, a .22 can definatly be used for self defence. If there is a robber in my house, I will definatly kill or incapacitate him using ANY means necessary. If there’s a .22 near me and not a pistol, then I’ll use the .22

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

He’s the type of person that would pass unconstitutional legislation in the US on guns…

I agree with you, before I ever shot a gun, since I was about 7, my dad hammered all the gun-rules into me. He wouldn’t let me hold a gun until I had all the gun safety rules lodged in my head. He handed me a .45 when I was 10 or so, and I didn’t check the chamber for a round, and he took it away.

We hardly ever got out to the range, just because there was never a real or want for it, but I still got all the gun rules in my head.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

They probably figured that he knew about gun safety if he fired it a few times a month. Though I guess that’s why the age limit for hunting and those things is 13 here, because either the parent’s didn’t teach him proper gun safety, or he was too stupid to follow proper gun safety.

Austin_Lewis says:

It’s a semi automatic .22.  That’s a very common rifle.  When I was little, that was the second thing I ever shot, and I shot it at the age of 6.

Why does he have a semi-automatic?  Why do I?  Why shouldn’t I take my son and wife shooting with me?

Your argument lacks logic.

Austin_Lewis says:

Amen.  When I’m not home, all my weapons are locked up, and my dog is my home defense.  When I come home, I take out my pistol, and it becomes the preferred method.

You don’t leave weapons lying around unlocked.
    Another thing that disturbed me: why was there a round in the chamber?

Austin_Lewis says:

I’m of two minds on this.

I believe very much that gun safety is important.  I was taught it by my dad, him by his dad, and I taught it to my son.  I drilled it into him, so that now when we go shooting before he does anything he checks the chamber of whatever we’re shooting.

Should everyone go to a safety course?  Not really, no.  There are plenty of people who know about gun safety to start with, like myself.  But if its your first firearm, I don’t see a problem with making you go to a course (an NRA sponsored course, even better).

As for gun control laws, they’re pretty fucking stupid.  The people who legally own automatic rifles commit have the one of the lowest crime rates the nation.  The people with CCW’s have one of the lowest crime rates in the nation.  Arbitrarily deciding what I can and can’t own, denying me my constitutional right to a firearm, that’s idiotic.

PS: I own 2 automatic rifles.

Austin_Lewis says:

As a proud owner of 15 pistols/shotguns/ARs/ClassIIIs and 4 custom 1911s for home defense, I can tell you I don’t leave my firearm in an ‘easily accessible’ location when I’m not home.  That’s how, when people break in while you’re NOT home, your pistol ends up being circulated among your local thugs.  When you leave the house, lock the gun up.  When you come home, get it back out.  It takes 2 fucking minutes, and you’re less likely to face the theft of your firearm or an accidental death because your child was playing with it.

As for keeping your firearm loaded, that’s a poor idea.  It takes half a second to put the mag in and then you just pull back on the slide, which has the added effect of letting the burglar/rapist/whatever know that he faces an armed household and should probably get the fuck out.  The pistol I use for home defense is a 70 series Colt 1911, the mag is a 10 round chip mccormick with the bottom painted blue, loaded up with 10 glaser rounds.  I can get it out of my drawer on my bedstand, load it, and be out in the hall in five seconds.

If you’re going to leave firearms out, they need to be locked, not just to prevent accidental discharges, but to prevent theft.  At the very least, remove the action.  Your average thief isn’t smart enough to realize that the rifle he just stole is missing its bolt, and once you report it missing, he won’t be able to get a new one, as chances are his idiot friends don’t know anything about firearms either, thus he would require the help of a gunsmith (all my local ones know my weapons on sight) or a Gun-store owner (same thing).

Also, you shouldn’t make your children responsible for home defense.

Personally, I take full responsibility for my home’s defense; I don’t leave my gun out so my son can try to defend himself.  When he hits thirteen, that’ll change, but until then he has our dog to protect him, and that’s as good as any pistol.

Chuma says:

I disagree with you about gun control laws being idiotic (I still feel there is no logical reason for owning an automatic rifle for instance) but as long as you are going to own guns, being made to go on a gun safety course would be a very sound plan.

Anonymous says:

If you keep a firearm in your home for protection from possible home invasion you should keep it in an easily accessible location, fully loaded, and the only thing needed to make it fire is for the saftey to be switched to the off position.

Or maybe you think that the invading person/people will be polite enough to wait while you dial in a security code to a safe in the attic to get the gun out and then unlock the trigger guard with another key and then load the device for firing. Or you know, they may just kill you and your family while you fumble trying to get to the safe instead.

Redmess ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well, then why does he have a semi-automatic in the first place?

The most disturbing thing about this is that no one seems to have a problem with teaching 11 year olds how to use semi-automatic weapons…

Kincyr says:

he unloaded it because he didn’t want to fire any rounds into anyone. If only he had remembered to remove the bullet from the chamber…

岩「…Ace beats Jack」

Anonymous says:

I don’t feel sorry in the slightest for the family losing their son. I DO feel sorry for the kid though. His parents deserve every ounce of suffering they get for being STUPID enough to leave a gun where an 11 year old could acquire it, and NOT teaching the kid about gun safety. it’s basic knowledge that guns should NOT be treated like toys, and even if a magazine has been removed that there could still be one in the chamber, and you should treat EVERY gun as loaded and dangerous.

If his parents are irresponsible enough to take care of a gun AND a child properly, they deserve to have the book thrown at ’em for their sheer negligence that caused their kid to die. I hope they get thrown in jail.

It wasn’t an assault rifle, it was a semi-automatic .22

Read the article.

Of course, the family should have secured the rifle when they weren’t around, that’s just common sense.

Zaruka ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

i feel for the famly losing there son and all but they should have had the gun lock up. It should have been empty and what could be better have the ammo  somewhere else so you know it no where need the gun. dont give me that bull about procting your seft, you dont need to shot a robber wtih a 22 calber rilfe in your house.

any way im sry for the famly loss but im glad the media not blaming it on halo unlike gun safety.

Mysticgamer says:

How is this Halo’s fault?  What did Master Chief give this boy permission to play with the gun?

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Where is Jack when you need some lulz off these?

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Cue Jack Thompson rant in 3… 2… 1…

Damn it all…

David_Ikari says:

How did an 11 year old boy get hold of a loaded assault rifle? If the family has reason to have the rifle, why not put it in a more secure place? Lock the trigger? Keep it unloaded, and store the ammunition in a secure place? Why was no one ensuring the kid was at school? If the kid for some whacky reason is allowed to have access to the gun, why wasn’t he taught proper handling?

Gah. A case of a kid thinking guns are fun. It’s been happening for a while. When will parents learn their lesson about storing guns?

Canary Wundaboy says:

Reading that article I get no sense that Halo is being blamed at all, the only reason it is mentioned at all is to give background on why the kid was skipping school. I think some posters here have been a tad too quick on the defensive.

Austin_Lewis says:

Are you retarded?  Having a fixed magazine doesn’t encourage safety anymore than a detachable magazine or a belt-fed system.

Teaching gun safety instead of pushing idiotic gun control laws encourages safety, not fixed magazines.

NecroSen says:

There’s really not that much of a mention of the game besides the one speculation that the kid tried to "recreate" it.

Ya know what, to be honest, this kind of thing is going to happen. It’s not particularly about video games or the prejudices some people have towards them: this is about "stuff that happens when people own guns".

It just reminds me of my favorite joke of the summer: What does a redneck say before he dies?

"Watch this!"

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

And THAT will be the line that our favorite moron will ignore completely.

Austin_Lewis says:

Automatic weapons (the ones that are transferrable, anyway) require a 200 dollar tax stamp and a thorough background check for transfer.  The cheapest automatic weapon I ever saw was a Mac-10, for the price of 1500USD or 2300USD with 2 silencers and a few extra mags, and that is by far the cheapest.

Military Rifles (M14, M16, M4, MP5, G3, G36, AK47/74 et al) cost far more than that.  The cheapest I’ve seen was in the 3000 dollar range, all the way up to the 20000 dollar range.  The people who manage to get these legally have a far lower crime rate than any other group in America, and also tend to be able to afford a safe or a guncage for their weapons, instead of leaving them around the house like a jackass.

Kojiro ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I second (or twentieth?) the parents are to blame sentiment.

1. Rifle not locked in safe.

2. Magazine and ammo not locked in safe.

3. No trigger lock.

4. If the kid had indeed been shooting several times already, WTF happened to teaching gun safety?  Did he not learn how to eject the mag, check the chamber, enable the safety, and finally not to aim it at anyone, ever?

These parents have no one to blame but themselves.

Austin_Lewis says:

Also despite the fact that Cho used two pistols, not two Assault Rifles.

I doubt very much the weapon that his jackass killed himself with is what people would think of as a ‘machine gun’, or a rifle that is fully-automatic.  I own two, and they are very expensive.  The cheaper is six thousand dollars, not including the sights, optics, and other equipment, plus a 200 dollar tax.  Furthermore, when you own something like that, unless you’re completely fucktarded, you get somewhere secure to put it (gun cage, a gigantic safe, etc), and I’d like to think this parent wasn’t that much of a jackass.

I’m more interested in knowing who said he was acting out Halo; certainly the child didn’t, being deceased and whatnot.

thefremen says:

Yeah, I agree. I would say that having a fixed magazine forces people to be at least a little more careful, but regardless these folks were doing wrong by their kid all around.

Are'el says:

I guess no one read the actual article.  It never blamed Halo for the death, it just mentioned that he was playing the game prior to the accident.  If anything, the article makes much more of a deal about gun safety than about the video game connection.  They’re not idiots.  It’s a kid who’s parents bought him a .22 rifle to do practice shots with, but didn’t lock it up when it was at home.

And for all of you poo-pooing about gun laws and automatic weapons, it probably wasn’t an actual automatic.  The media commonly calls "semi-automatics" just "automatics."  If it was an automatic, you’d have to have a Federal liscence that costs a buttload of money, background checks by the FBI, AND frequent renewal fees.  Even gun-shows, notorious for skirting the background check laws, wouldn’t mess with selling full automatics to the unliscenced (well, most won’t, they’d kick you out if they caught you, they don’t need that kind of heat).  A full automatic puts you on an alert list as a potential threat to national security.

Ben ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Its a good thing that Dennis acknowledged the fact that the game was only mentioned, and not blamed. Sadly, there is a good chance that someone will blame this on the game. Its only a matter of time.

"..." says:

According to the article, "He was playing video games and […] he had a .22 caliber rifle that belongs to him. He had access to the rifle and a magazine was kept somewhere else by his parents. He was familiar with the rifle and had been shooting it a couple of times a month…"

Since when do you give your kid a rifle without making sure that a) he knows how to unload it properly and b) he always practices gun safety?

Stupidity all around, sad.

Ken ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

If the kid was actually in school, he would still be alive. Now we have to listen to that asshole Jack Thompson rant about violent video games again.

Freyar says:

I really don’t get that point of view from the article. It seems like it’s a mention, but it isn’t blamed. The lack of knowledge on the child’s part is taking most of it.

—- There is a limit for both politicians against video games, and video games against politicians. http://www.goteamretard.com

Timmay! says:

1) It’s painfully obvious everyone involved in the incident, including the police and reporters, are trying to take the blame away from the carless and neglegent gun owner.

2) The owner of the gun should be charged with neglegence for keeping an assault rifle within easy access of an 11 year old.

Gamen says:

Assault rifles were banned at one point in the US, but efforts to renew it were thwarted by the gun lobby and it having little effect in the short term on the already rare occurrences of assault weapon-related crimes. In other words, it was intrusive, ineffective, and unneeded. OTOH, V-Tech lead to renewed support for their banning, despite the rarity of such events.

Vinzent ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

And another thing…

At what point in the game Halo does Master-Chief point the gun at himself? I thought the point of the game was to shoot other alien beings.

Vinzent ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Remember parents, if you’re going to keep loaded AKs and pipe-bombs around the house in case of government attack, you should keep your videogame systems locked up. Leaving a video controller lying around is just asking for trouble.

Freyar says:

-Remember kids, personal responsibility is for losers! For information on games and psychology, look up: Jonathan Freedman(2002)Block & Crain(2007) Just to name a few…

Well this is just fucking stupid.

1: How the fuck did he get an automatic rifle?

2: When in HALO do you shoot yourself?

3: If he had played more HALO, he probably would have known that you’ll DIE if you shoot yourself in the head. It was probably all that damn Bugs Bunny, getting shot and not dying (joke)…

This is a perfect example of the neccesity of mandatory gun safety excercises at a young age, because apparently people can’t take the fucking time to tell their kids that guns can cause severe injuries and/or DEATH if fired at a person!!!

I don’t see what HALO even has to do with this.

vellocet says:

Too many things wrong about this…

At which point does Halo teach you how to remove the magazine from a gun?  Why was the gun accessible to an 11 year old? Why was it loaded?  If the parent were so gun crazy as to have one just lying around, how come the child was not taught the proper way to handle the gun?

Sad as it may be that the child passed away, it’s obvious that the parents shouldn’t be procreating (oops… I think I went too far).

sortableturnip says:

He had access to the automatic rifle and a magazine was kept somewhere else by his parents. He was familiar with the rifle and had been shooting it a couple of times a month

Aren’t automatic rifles illegal in the US?

The kid’s been shooting it 1-2 times a month?

What does that say about the parents?

Haven’t they ever heard of a gun cabinet?  They spent the money on an expensive automatic rifle, but didn’t get a gun cabinet to keep their son from using it when they’re not home?

DarkTetsuya says:

Well, technically we don’t have to listen to any of it… I think it’s pretty safe to say anyone who’s been certified sane (by a professional that they didn’t already know beforehand) has stopped listening to him altogether; only stopping to point and laugh.

— "Jack and listen are two words that don’t go together…just like Jack and sanity, Jack and truth, Jack and proof, Jack and win…" — sortableturnip | http://www.orangeloungeradio.com/

David_Ikari says:

Thankyou, I’ve read the article. I had forgotten what variety of weapon it was when I had finished and come back to GP to make a post. I also agree that it is common sense to keep the gun locked away. It infuriates me that very few people use it, including the owner of the weapon.

Anonymous says:

I’m glad I live in a place where you need an actual good reason to own a firearm (ie: Proffesional shooter who does competitions and stuff).

Ok, so the parents bought this kid his won gun. Did they make sure he was responsible enough first? Did they teach him all the proper procedures and stuff before they bought it for him? Is this the parent’s fault or did the kid just forget one of the steps in making a gun safe? I can’t judge.

Also, I don’t think 11 is old enough to have your own gun. I mean, you could shoot guns down at the range or something, but OWNING YOUR OWN GUN?!?!

Anonymous says:

Eh I had a .22 when I was 8, but I wasn’t allowed to shoot it without my dad around, he kept all the ammo. I also knew what would happen if I ever pointed the gun at anything I didn’t intend to shoot.

I don’t know if it’s still legal for belting your kids when they screw up though 😛

Inkscribe says:

Ok, obviously this has a few of you guys riled up. Good arguments from both sides, but ultimately, we don’t know how much gun safety training this young man had.

I think the main reason for these tragedies is the curiosity of the unknown. Parents who feel like they need to keep their children away from guns at all costs and never let their child see one. This is not a good idea.

When I was about eight years old, my dad took me into the woods with a shotgun, put up a target, and told me to shoot it. I did, and the resulting blast and kick nearly knocked me down. The shotgun had decimated the target. I’ll never forget his words, "See son, if you ever accidentally shot me or your brother, or anyone else, that’s what it would do to them," he said, pointing at the destroyed target, "it would kill them."

From that day forward I never once questioned the power of guns or was even remotely curious about their power. I learned to respect them, and to this day I keep the gun pointed at the ground, safety on, finger off the trigger, even if I know it is unloaded.

Every parent should do for their child what my dad did for me, and we would see a lot less of these tragedies.

Martin says:

"This is typical ignorance from the pro-gun control crowd. "

All i did is ask questions, I didn’t even make a single statement other than "I feel for the parents". If you’re reacting so defensively and emotionally you won’t make your point so well dude. I’m not pro/con anything gun related. I’m just curious, and the only thing you answered is that it is in fact all about principles and some weird emotional momentum behind this whole gun control topic. Sad.

Pominator says:

MA, While I get your argument, I just thought I would point out, guns are designed with shooting at people in mind, the very reason for their creation in the first place was so that people could kill each other at a distance, whereas cars are built with a good purpose in mind, allowing people to get from place to place, chainsaws, though they have been used in some terrible crimes, the creators likely didn’t think "oh this will be a good tool for chopping up people I don’t like!" Guns however, they are there with only one real purpose.

I am not for or against gun control myself, as I think everyone should have the right to choose, if they have earned it, but I have seen loads of rhetoric coming from both sides, but in all honesty, it is how people choose to use the implement that is the risk, with guns, there are only 3 real choices when using one:

1:shoot that person

2:Dont shoot that person

3: Pistol whip him!

With that in mind, I have to say that while people will blame spoons for making Rosie Donnell fat and videogames for crimes, guns are a different issue entirely.

Right now that is all I have to say on the issue, but please, I really hate the shifting blame from the anti GC crowd, just as much as I dislike the pro GC crowds rhetoric.

Your soul is a tasty refreshing treat to ones such as I

Ubiquitous says:

You’re all timber that is feeding the flame of this media frenzy.

Who cares about an 11 year old child? Aside from his poor family?

Worse things have happened.

MasterAssasin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

"I’m really curious, I’ve never been able to understand this, why do people want to have guns for in the first place? Why aren’t pelet guns enough fun? What’s so terrible about banning something so fatal? is it just the principle? shouldn’t we be more concerned with saving lives rather than principles?

I feel for the parents man… as stupid as I’m sure they are, that’s a hard lesson to learn."

This is typical ignorance from the pro-gun control crowd. Hey lets ban automobiles since more people are killed in those every year then firearms, bikes should be good enough and they are move enviromentally friendly! How about banning matches, lighters, knives, chainsaws, and just about everything else that could potentially be dangerous. And like a typical anti-gun person you assume that everyone who owns a gun does so because they think guns are "fun". Maybe some of us would prefer not to be left at the mercy of some lunatic that breaks into our house. And don’t give me that bullshit about how unlikely it is for that to happen. That’s what everyone says until it happens to them.

@ Erik

Again I never said that people should be allowed to keep thier guns unlocked and easily accesible to children, even if this kid was taught some gun safety he wasn’t taught it well enough. Maybe his parents should have given him a demonstration of what that rifle can do using a paper target or some other object or maybe showing the kid an article similar to this one. He obviously wasn’t taught proper gun safety and again the problem here is the parents failed to do that, the problem is not the gun but the two idiots who left it out in the open and failed to teach  their kid proper safety.

Twin-Skies ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

How the hell did this kid get his hands on a loaded gun? I’m more concerned about his parents now – it’s irresponsible of them to leave firearms within such easy reach.

Martin Antolini says:

Anonymous says:

"Lee said it appeared, following the department’s investigation, that after playing a combat video game called “Halo,” Nimm took the gun and tried to recreate some of the things that had occurred in the game. With an automatic rifle, Lee said there can sometimes be confusion over whether it contains a magazine or not, and this confusion likely led to Nimm’s death."

Direct quote from the Watertown Daily times.

Anonymous says:

Uhh, so what? A gun is a gun. He shouldn’t have had it in the first place. The kid dies, and you are flippin’ a bitch about the misrepresentation of the weapon in another person’s comment. Wow…

Anonymous says:

Direct quote from the Watertown Daily times.

SJ Zero ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well, I read the summary, and IT says automatic rifle.

Given that, maybe you shouldn’t be so damned angry. It’s just ignorant.

So fucktard yourself.

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

Calm down. No need for insults. We’re all aduts here (well, most of us; a point illustrating that there are some kids that get on GP, and is in no way a comment pointed towards you); name-calling isn’t needed. Please make your point and don’t stoop to ad hominem attacks.

Anonymous says:

Sorry i forgot to mention, No matter how sorry they are, no matter how devestated, no matter how beat up and depressed they get—Their lack of responsibiltiy led their child to his death.  NOTHING will change that.
    I’m pissed because now it will reflect badly on future games and people. You may call me evil, but its true and you know it.  Certainly, i can pity them for maybe trying the best they can, but i don’t even know if they did their best so i can NOT judge.  I do have somewhat of a pity for the child, I have none for the parents from what i heard.  MAYBE they didn’t even know about the halo game.  Maybe they were his friends?  I personally have no idea, and i’m in NO position to judge their parenting skill, HOWEVER from what i HAVE gathered, it SEEMS like their fault entirely. I don’t know.  If it isn’t and the second scenario is the case where he was at his friend’s house and they peer pressured him to shooting himself i’ll pity them and offer my condolences, if not then F**K it, i’ll be pissed that they 1. wasted the life of a 11 year old kid. and 2. they’re making things harder for the rest of us.

Anonymous says:

You think that just because they had an unforunate event in their life they are protected from future criticism? They lost their child and it was their fault.  Plain and simple. THe game was rated >M< for a reason.  The >GUN< should have been kept out of kids reach for a reason.  The parents failed to do so. Every kid is a moron, not because they’re born stupid or anything, just they’re ignorant.  THey do not understand the concept of life and death.  Its the PARENTS responsibility to teach them.  Your brother who got in an accident …. I HOPE he understands what it means to take on the responsibility of driving a car.  Driving a car could be fatal and every precaution of driving carefully is recommended.

THeres a huge difference in these scenarios.  The difference is the knowledge that they both had. Your brother should know how to drive a car and is expected to obey the laws set to keep people safe.  Your brother death is unfortunate so no comments will be made to you partly because i personally do not know what happened. The boy on the other hand is a 11 year old boy who has no prior knowledge that gun + forhead + bullet + shoot = death. He probably didn’t even know what death means other than "they lie still."

So? People who can use logic can clearly see the problem here.  I have put myself in their shoes and i came to the same damn conclusion.  MY LACK OF RESPONSIBILITY LED TO MY KID’s DEATH. Its not hard to see. We have 2 problems here, 1. halo >m< for mature.  I as a parent failed to prevent my son/daughter from something intended for adults.  and 2. I have left a gun lying around the house.

BECAUSE of their lack of responsibility we know that WE Gamers are going to get crap from politicians.  They’ll  say now, see!? HERES GAME VIOLENCE CAUSING DEATH!!!!

But No, its not the games that cause death, not the guns, not the kid who doesn’t know better, its the morons of a parents that thought it was a good idea to leave guns around the house and give a 11 year old kid something that he shouldn’t get for another 7 years.

Anonymous says:

Wow, who are you to judge! How can you sit there and call the parents stupid? How do you know what they did and didn’t teach thier child about gun use. I did not know the boy personally, but because of a tragedy in my own family, I attended the funeral to pay my respects. Those parents that you can so cooly and calmly call "stupid" are crushed, demolished by the loss of their child. You don’t think they are beating themselves up even more than you could ever do!? This is a terrible tragedy that will change lives forever and I think that it is unfair for ANYONE to sit there and judge this family by the tragedy in their lives. From what I know of the family, the child was properly instructed on how to use a gun. But guess what… accidents happen. My brother was killed in a car accident… it was never discovered why the accident happened even though there were witnesses and another driver involved… no one knows. So, are my parents stupid for having let him drive a car? Is he stupid for having got behind the wheel? I think a vehicle is a much more dangerous weapon than a gun, yet how often do we look at car accidents as terrible tragedies where someone HAS to be blamed! The memory of this boy deserves better than your assesment that his parents are "stupid". I have read so much in the internet forums lately that say this kid deserved what he got, the parents deserve what they got… how dare anyone place judgement on these people! Put yourselves in their shoes… and we all say "Well, I wouldn’t allow my kid to have a gun!" or "I would teach him how to use it properly and ALWAYS keep it locked up!" Would you? Would you never exhibit trust in your child whom you have trained so well? This was an accident, a terrible tragedy… why does anyone need to be at fault. My heart goes out to the family.

Anonymous says:

I agree that they probably should have kept it out of reach or hidden well.  But not unloaded. Thats just stupid.  An unloaded gun is useless, and if you need it to protect yourself from criminals, then your SOL.

The parents should have tought the kid the proper nomenclature of the firearm, had him practice with it a little bit and show him safety procedures.  A trained person on the operation of a firearm has a very small risk of accedental discharge as someone who is not trained.  Sometimes accidents cannot be avoided.  But thats a different subject.  This is an unfourtunate event.  I feel for the family.

Cloud says:

It’s not in any way the childs fault, I don’t know how you can even blame him. It’s the parents for not only having the gun in reach, but for not explaining why he shouldn’t be playing with it. And for keeping it loaded… yeah everything is pretty much on the parents here.

Anonymous says:

According to the story, the gun wasn’t left out a tall.  It was actually owned by him, and he was familiar with it.  He had apparently been shooting with it a couple of times a month.  So apparently he knew how to use the gun, yet still managed to shoot himself in the head with the thing.  I’m honestly confused, not only at how he managed to do that by accident, but how halo even begins to factor into it.  Aren’t .22s a little long for an 11 year old to even point it at his own head and still reach the trigger with his hand?  Or maybe it was a richochet?

I have to agree with you.  Theres a reason why halo is >>>>M<<<< FOR MATURE
    and theres a reason why you keep GUNS away from KIDS

I blame the parents entirely for being REALLY Stupid.

Anonymous says:

Actually, the term "assault rifle" is  just that…a whole term.  Merriam-Websters has the following:

Main Entry:
    assault rifle
    : any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use.
    Notice the ‘designed for military use’ part?
    "The smallest gun could be labeled an assault rifle" my ass.  The press just got a little too excited and used the wrong word.  Kid was using a .22 semi NON assault rifle.
    Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

but in common use, you call it a hand gun if you can use only one hand to aim and shoot it if wanted, and an assault rifle  if you have to use 2 hands, use your shoulder to stabilize, uses bigger shells, and typically fully automatic.

Anonymous says:

Assault rife is a loose term and was invented by liberal gun grabers anyways.

The term "Assault"  –

1. a sudden, violent attack; onslaught: an assault on tradition.
    2. Law. an unlawful physical attack upon another; an attempt or offer to do violence to another, with or without battery, as by holding a stone or club in a threatening manner.
    3. Military. the stage of close combat in an attack.

So in essence even the smallest gun could be labeled an assault rife or handgun.

Think about this next time you use this term in a sentence.

Anonymous says:

I agree.  I am a gun owner.  I keep trigger locks on both of my guns and I keep them locked in a gun cabinet.  Leaving a .22 out for a kid to find and play with is terrible and irresponsible.  Gotta blame the parent on this one for being an idiot.

Anonymous says:

No matter what kind of gun it was, you still have to wonder why it was sitting out in the open, with an 11 year old around, without a trigger-lock, in the first place

Anonymous says:

I am more concerned with how he got a hold of an assault rifle, myself.

A child kills himself playing with an ASSUALT RIFLE and obviously video games are the criminal element here, not proper gun control or parent’s teaching their child all about a weapon they have in their home.

Here is a tip to any parents out there reading:

You can have a gun in your home, but as soon as the child can wrap their hand around the stock you need to teach them all about the weapon they are holding instead of shielding them from it. Show them what happens to something on the other end of the barrel. Teach them respect for the weapon and never to point the weapon at something unless you mean to kill it.

Anonymous says:

I don’t know how old you are, but it seems that you’ve been trained in gun safety–which means that having a loaded gun to which you have access is not unsafe. In this case, by contrast, the parents did not take steps to restrict access to the gun by their 11 year old who did not understand the weapon, or general range safety rules. Make whatever arguments for or against gun control that you want, there’s a risk to having children and guns together–and in this case a trigger lock or a gun safe would have minimized/eliminated that. I’d also hope that the parents kept other dangerous equipment out of reach of the kid, or at least taught him the importance of safety.

And while anloaded gun might be a useless gun, a condition 3 gun is probably safer to leave lying out than a condition 1 gun (if that was possible with the gun in question).

Anonymous says:

We are the well regulated militia, the "well regulated" I take it means that the government at least keeps tabs on them (IE gun licenses).  If someone were to invade and we didn’t have the troops to protect the civilians, it’s up to the civilians to take care of business themselves.  That’s why the second amendment is there.  And that goes to all threats to America, foreign and domestic.

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

Please dont ignore the first part: it sounds like a requirement…

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State

Anonymous says:

The inclusion of the right to bear arms in the constitution was set up as result of the frequency in which the British soliders would simply walk into people’s home and take their food and clothes and supplies for themselves. The constitutional right is there so that people can defend their homes from an invasive government into their lives when the government has no right to intrude upon them. Of course, this is laughable by Today’s standards. The Waco Texas cult with David Koresch shooting the FBI that was trying to take their members away is actually an example of this constitutional right being used for its original intent.

Just because the government doesn’t agree with your actions, if you know you are not doing anything wrong, you can use deadly force to defend yourself from a government intrustion into your private life. Like the Polygamist Ranch could have done, technically, as no illegal activity has actually surfaced as a result of their actions, merely really taboo stuff.

Geryon says:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Frankly I don’t see this as saying no gun control at all.  I’m not saying you do but a lot of people tend to ignore eveything but the end.

Zero Beat ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Your second-to-last sentence should say "politician" where you have "Republican."  Both parties do the same thing, except the Democrats do it in a way that makes you kinda like them and the Republicans do it in a way that makes you kinda dislike them.

SJ Zero says:

I don’t like gun control laws, I’m just going to ignore them. Oh crap, now I’m dead becuase the cops don’t see that the laws don’t apply to me because I don’t like them.

Neither should the Congress be allowed to simply ignore the constitution.

You pretty much destroy your own arguement. There’s a process by which the constitution can be amended. It’s been done in the past. All the unconstitutional gun laws should be repealed, the constitution should be amended, and new, constitutional laws should be enacted.

To ignore the rules simply becuase you don’t like them is to become a Republican. Nobody wants that.

Anonymous says:

Because the constitution is never meant to be changed. Ever. The very existence of amnedments implies that the constitution is a imperfect document (amendments because they AMEND). New amendments are passed and some are repealed to adapt it to the times (giving freed slaves voting rights, woman’s voting rights, etc.). A perfect example is prohibiton. When it didn’t work, that amendment was repealed by another. So don’t pull this ”the constitution is scared and should never be changed you commies” shit, because it only reveals your own ignorance.

SJ Zero says:

Lesson 1: The left wing/right wing bullshit is a lie.

Want proof? Despite having control of the house, the senate, the judiciary, the executive for 4 years, the Republicans didn’t repeal the unconstitutional gun laws.

They just want you to hate the other guys, they don’t actually believe what you believe.

hppav says:

As a representative of the Trespasser Community (the largest Trespasser fansite), I can say yes, it is possible to aim the gun at yourself and kill yourself with it.

I believe there is a video called "Trespasser Walkthrough" that consists of just that somewhere.

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Jack, go to the Nuked Cat Thread and find the posts of one "SounDemon" b/c we can only think of his words as a response to you.

Shadow and "Fignirf"

Anonymous says:

"Things should get interesting really quickly"

That’s what you said in the T2 case, and your disbarment trial, and your disciplinary hearing, and that Janet Reno case years ago, and after the VT shootings, and…….

Matthew says:

Working to what end? The kid already had access to the gun. The parents knew he had access to the gun. They taught him how to use it. They encouraged him to learn how to use it properly and safely. They trusted him with it. Unfortunately his child instincts took over one day and he broke the first rule of gun safety: He treated it like a toy. He unloaded it, tried to make it safe to play with, but sadly failed to do so.

Austin_Lewis says:

I think you should read the fucking story.  It’s not an automatic, its a semiautomatic .22

I agree with everything else you said, but I think you’re just lazy for not reading the fucking story.

kurisu7885 (can't log in) says:

Well, you already stated by actions that you endorse child abuse, so why not work ot have gun safety classes remove.d Hell, go the extra mile and have after school activites banned, since yo useem to love it that these incidences keep occuring. less for kids to do should be a good thing i nyour book.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Actually, no.  In this case guns are the problem.  Now before you get your Charleston Heston underoos in a twist I’m not suggeting that guns should be banned.  But we should not forget that guns ARE dangerous.  That fact seems to be forgotten by many of those who try to draw a parallel between game and gun legislation.  As firearms ownership is a constitutionally given right they should not and cannot be banned.  Despite tragic situations such as this one, the benefits of firearms still greatly outweigh the costs.  That may sound callous but one need only look at a history book to find out what a government has planned when they try to prohibit the people from being able to protect themselves.

Responsible gun owners should not lose their rights because of this kid’s parents.  But those parents should lose their right for damn sure.  But saying they aren’t the problem, don’t be so naive to how dangerous they can be.

1.) It wasn’t select-fire

2.) It didn’t use an intermediate calibered cartridge, there-by not meeting the requirements of being an "assault rifle", especially in conjunction with #1.

3.) Automatic is another term for self-loading, or "Semi-auto". Both semi and full auto weapons are not illegal in the U.S. Machineguns just have more stringent requirements for ownership and have to be registered with the ATF.

Anonymous says:

Aren’t automatic assault rifles illegal to have in the USA?

They shouldn’t have one, and they definately shouldn’t let their kid stay home from school, and they definately shouldn’t keep their gun where a kid can get his hands on it.

And there’s plenty of people saying ‘it was an assault rifle so blame halo’ there’s plenty of guns that are assault rifles, there’s no way you can blame halo for this.

.45 ACP says:

Every time a gun-related topic comes up, discussion boards ALWAYS follow this basic pattern

"Guns are not the problem. Parents should be more responsible and teaching kids how guns work and that they can harm or kill people"

Anonymous says:

Erik I agree that the gun should have been locked up or unloaded but the problem is so many people who are in favor of gun control cite incidents like this as the reason why we need to ban guns and I’m sick of it. Anyone who has a child and owns a firearm of any kind should teach thier child proper respect and handling of firearms in the same way we teach our kids not to play with knives or matches. In fact even if you don’t own a firearm you should teach your kid proper gun safety in case they go to a friend’s house where there is a firearm that could be accessed by the child.

ooftygoofty says:

No, you’re not, Jack.  You’re not doing anything with anybody.  You’re just not.  Admit it.

Also, I should think you’d be happy an alleged gamer died.  That’s what you really want, right?

Besides sexual abuse for everyone, of course.

Anonymous says:

It’s sad but if it’s anyones fault its everyone’s except halo how?

1. The parents left a gun lying around.

2. The boy was so stupid he pointed a rifle at himself even though that’s not in Halo.

3. He skipped school

I can see it now:

Forza 3 is blamed in the death of a 16 year old driver when he recreated a race from the game.

The brand new eclipse he got for his birthday was a total loss.

Really, I mean really?

magicgamext says:

Hey im not ready to use a real gun, Im still practicing on BB weapons,I wonder what jack what say about that?,Cause i dont think BBs couldnt kill anyone worth it.

Anonymous says:

ya this is retarded. its sad it happend, but like someone else said why the hell have a gun around a kid anyways? especially if you know they play shooting games and/or have no common sense or guidance from their parents.

AHFN says:

My dad target shoots and collects antique military firearms. When not in use, he keeps all his rifles chained together through the trigger guards with 1/4″ gauge chain in bundles of ten, and locked together would good padlocks (since he hasn’t found a safe dealer willing to manhandle a 3000lb gun safe down his basement stairs), and when going on long trips he removes the bolts and stores them in the small safe with the handguns. Ammunition is kept under lock and key. That’s an acceptable level of safety, I think, though different standards apply for self-defense weapons, of course.

Anonymous says:

firstly, it was semi-automatic rifle, not a pistol.

secondly, i dont know "stooping" a person is…

finally, the kid OWNED the gun! if thats not being iresponsible, then i dont know what is…

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You know I’m thinking if Jack was there before the accident he would have said something to the efect of: "Oh my god!  A child shouldn’t be left alone with this dangerous device!"  Then would have taken the child’s game system and left the kid to play with the gun.

Get some perspective Jack.  The games were a triviality compared to dangerous weapons being left laying about.  Just as any games played by Cody Posey were a triviality compared to his sexual abuse.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Teaching children gun saftey is important.  But that doesn’t negate the fact that the gun should not have been left out and loaded.  That is just common sense.

But do try not to set up the strawman of "You are no better than the people who blame video games".  A video game cannot hurt people if misued (well I suppose if you went through the trouble of snapping the disc the shards might be hazardous).  But a gun can.  Yes it all still comes down to personal responsibility, but don’t forget that a gun is still a WEAPON.

Anonymous says:

Why was a little kid left alone with a firearm? A loaded one, no less?

You’d think the weapon should be safely locked away, or at least hidden better, so that people that don’t know how to handle it properly wouldn’t use it. We would certainly have fewer accidents if highly lethal weapons weren’t used as toys.

I have to point my finger at the parents on this one: they get him a rifle, leave it where he could get at it, fail to make sure the rifle wasn’t loaded (as if they could be sure an 11-year-old would check, himself), and fail to teach him (or fail to make the kid remember – same effect, really), among other things, that the rifle wasn’t a toy. And, of course, they paid for all that.

Aside from the little boy not being smart enough to avoid playing with a weapon, it was unfortunate what happened. He had to be really unlucky, managing to put the only round in the rifle into his own head. Must have ricocheted off of something – I can’t see how you would otherwise accidentally shoot yourself in the head, especially with a long weapon as that rifle must have been.

Assuming, of course, that he did, indeed, shoot himself in the head. Though I guess it’s safe to assume that.

MasterAssassin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Those of you who are blaming guns for this are really no better then the people who blame video games. If the parents hadn’t left the rifle in the open or better yet TAUGHT THEIR CHILD PROPER GUN SAFETY, this would have not happened. What’s so outrageous is we teach our kids not to play with knives or talk to strangers yet we don’t teach them proper respect and handling for firearms. Maybe if we did that, we wouldn’t have so many tragedies like this.

Anonymous says:

hey retard. ( to jack ) guess what this was an accident! The kid didnt pick up a gun and pourpously shoot the other in the head. He thought he had all the bullets out and made a mistake. Thats all it is, an accident. Nobody should or will be punished, ( maybe the dad for letting his kid have access ) but the games are in NO way responsible.

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Just like you’ve ‘worked’ with the FBI, Secret Service, and Obama to do the same thing?

Get your head out of your delusions of granduer and into reality for once. Then you might realize your son isn’t 15 anymore.

Tarosan says:

Oh and Jack you trying to talk to the sheriff’s department is another attempt to get your ass on tv and spew crap… please refrain from even TRYING

When Life gives you lemons, you find a new god.

Anonymous says:

I would think that teaching him to shoot a gun would also mean learning how to eject rounds, but i guess that doesnt matter at all now, does it?

And why would you let a 11 year old OWN A GUN!?!?!? let alone teaching him to shoot one! If you ask me, you either lock it up or something, leave it and tell them not to mess with it, or at the very least, teach them when there 16  or something and not completely stupid…

and then theres the blameing of halo. again, when in halo do you shoot yourself? and of course, WHY WOULD YOU RE-ENACT ANYTHING IN A VIDEO GAME?!?! thats like putting a bomb on your sister so it could blow up, she’d be covered in ashes, and we could all laugh at it, just like in the cartoons. but no. that doesnt happen. kids should understand that any form of weapon can hurt/kill. and even then, kids shouldnt even be near weapons, ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE NOT EVEN IN THERE TEENS!!!

that is all…

deadguy says:

The article states "automatic Rifle", and states that the 11-year old owns it himself.  His parents keep the magazines and ammo, he keeps the gun.

You don’t think a a 11 year old with an automatic rifle would have an interest in games that portray people with guns?  Oh yeah, must be the video game.

Straight parent negligence..  They allowed an 11 year old to own an automatic rifle. Assuming that he couldn’t possibly acquire ammunition for it.

The parents also allowed access to a Mature rated video game.

That’s like saying, "Here’s a big gun, and here’s how you play around with them,"

instead of,

"Daddy has a big gun locked away that’s for you to use on special occassions under his supervision.  Guns kill people who play with them, they aren’t toys.  Since there’s nothing else you can do with the unloaded gun except play games with it, you will not have full access to it until you are 18, but it’s yours. Daddy will show you how to clean it."

Then put on a trigger-lock to emphasis the point before placing the gun into a locked case in-front of the child.  The ammunition goes into another locked container of some sort.  3 keys between the life and death of your child is NOT too much hassle if you are a respectable parent.

Whenever the gun comes out, the child must be taught that the first thing to do is sight into the chamber to ensure there’s no bullet in position, and how important it is to assume (even after checking) that the gun is always loaded. A gun is never to be pointed at anything that you do not want to actually shoot, or potentially kill, it’s not a game, it’s a life saving rule that you always need to keep in mind.  This includes pointing it at friends as a joke, pointing it at yourself, or even being unaware of where it is pointing at any time that you have your hands on it.

The penalty for making a mistake and breaking those rules is sometimes instant death, or instant disfigurement.  Then show him the video of the police officer that was showing off guns in the classroom and accidentally shot himself in the foot.  Then ask him what he did wrong, and how it could have been prevented.  Then whenever news hits the media regarding this type of thing, show it to the child and discuss what happened, and how it could be avoided.

Especially stuff like Brandon Lee’s death ("The Crow" movie) where the chamber was even checked, and a blank was inserted into the gun and fired.  Unknown to anyone, there was a second blank stuck in the barrel at the time. It was propelled out of the barrel and went through a bag of groceries before entering Brandon Lee’s chest, killing him.

It’s heartbreaking.. As a stepfather of a 12 year old boy with the name Joshua, it’s downright scary to think he might go to a friend’s house where the child has automatic weapons laying around for them to experiment and play with.

Be a parent to your child instead of an upset surviving family member.

Anonymous says:

Actually, I once shot myself in the head in Halo 2 with the sniper rifle, I was in the scarab….and missed the elite…the round ricohceted right back into my head.

Anonymous says:

this was in no way the games fault

i blame the parents

firstly they let a kid play an M rated game, which is meant for people aged 17 and over

secondly they kept a pistol where a gullible naive 11 year old can get hold of it

thirdly they actually kept the gun loaded and didnt have the safety on

fourthly they didnt teach the kid that a gun is DANGEROUS and can seriously injure, or most of the time can kill

the parents should be stooped from reproducing and have any other kids taken away from them to prevent any more unessecary and quite frankly very sad cases of accidental infanticide

Atreyu606 says:

Ok so the parents have a gun, within reach of an 11 year old kid, without a gun lock, LOADED!  seriously whose fault is this whole situation??  first of Halo is M, as in Mature, as in you must be 17 years old to play it.  Second off the parents left a fully loaded gun in the reach of the parents.  Its completely the parents fault.  They let a little kid play a violent shooter and left a loaded gun within his reach.  Halo is NOT a factor here.  Its the parents’ fault.

Shas'o R'Vre says:

This article is stupid. Sure, Blame violent video games, that makes it so easy. There are two major problems here, both caused by the child’s parents.

1) The Child got hold of a loaded gun.

Foolish parents for keeping a gun AND for not securing it AND for keeping it loaded.I mean, what retards keep loaded weapons in the first place let alone within reach of children?

2) The child was playing Halo in the first place.

WHAT THE FUCK IS AN 11 YEAR OLD KID DOING PLAYING A 16 GAME! How irresponsible are these parents. I am 16, and I only just started playing it. My parents told me that if i even showed any violent tendancies they will stop me playing it. I got banned from it for a week just for saying they should shoot President Mugabe for being an arsehole.

Anonymous says:

You know, reading through all the posts here, it pretty much disgusts me that the second biggest thing you are all upset about is the fact that people are calling it an Assault Rifle, Automatic, what ever. DOES IT REALLY FUCKING MATTER what gun type it was? Regardless of gun control arguments, an 11 year old kid just fucking DIED and all you care about is correcting people and calling them idiots for calling it the wrong thing.

Maybe you should all take a step back and cool off before you make yourselves sound like idiots or trolls.

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

Yeah, it does. Doesn’t it?

I mean, BBs will only go in so deep, and deeper if pointed at the eye. I doubt it’s traveling fast enough to pass through bone or organs. I’d be thoroughly surprised if someone dies from getting shot by a BB.

But I agree with you on the second part: parents, please keep your guns locked up where your kids can’t get to them.

Anonymous says:

If it turns out to be an air rifle does it change anything?

If you own a weapon and have kids either make sure they are muture enough not to play with it without supervision or keep it under lock and key.

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

Actually, it wasn’t the parents; it was the police.

Still, no gun, loaded or not, should be left lying around. It’s still a danger and should be properly stored and locked away.

Anonymous says:

I happen to be good friends with the parents, whom obviously none of you know or none of this rediculous bull shit would be written. The truth is terrible accidents happen all the time. People are killed by people driving drunk for the 7th time. You could die from contaminated food in a restaraunt. You could be murdered by some psychopath. A bus might not see you and run you over. Is everything in life due to bad parenting? Give me a break. A parents responsibility is to teach their children right from wrong and hope that they make good decisions. Parents don’t however have the ability to control them. There is no way to know from reading a two paragraph article the family’s love for this boy or the circumstances of the day or anything about the gun. Even the most stellar individuals have tragic things happen to them. It is really a shame that there is even the ability to read any of this crap. Very supportive! Can’t say anything nice, shut the fuck up. It is my hope that all of the shitty, single minded individuals that wrote such garbage don’t ever have to deal with such a horrific event to find out just how easy it can happen. Perhaps find a hobby for yourself instead of bashing someone loss.

Anonymous says:

I agree completely. I am appalled at the insults being thrown at these parents. It is a horrific tragedy that no one should have to live through. I also was looking for information online and stumbled upon this. I hope people find it in their hearts to have some empathy for those who will struggle through the day now without this precious young man. I have never known anyone who cherished every minute of their child like his mom did. He was her everything. I hope his parents and other loved ones will not have to suffer through this stupid slaughter online. They have truly been through enough.

Anonymous says:

Wow.  I am in complete shock after reading this thread that I accidentaly stumbled upon when looking for directions to his funeral.

No one has blamed HALO.  Nor should his parents, who are absolutely devastated, be blamed.  They are wonderful, loving people who loved their son more then anything.  I pray they are spared reading this.

This was a terrible tragedy.  Please remember there are real people attached to this story.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

"why don’t we have more cases of kids being injured by matches or knives?"

We have plenty of these actually.  But for one they aren’t as interesting generally to the media.  And secondly firearms are much more effective in causing harm.  Generally if a child plays with a book of matches or a knife for the most part there is a good, or at least better, chance the child would be unharmed.  You may as well ask why the armed forces don’t carry books of matches in lieu of firearms.

And the point still remains that you can teach a child to you are blue in the face.  In fact for all we know this kid WAS taught gun safety.  This falls under the category of leading a horse to water but being unable to make it drink.  In some magical Charelton Heston utopia you would teach children gun saftey and then could leave your firearms laying about, comfortable in the knowledge that your lessons are impossible to defy.  But ultimately, kids are dumb.

MasterAssassin says:

Erik comparing drugs to guns isn’t a good comparison because most parents don’t have cocaine lying around the house for thier kids to use unsupervised. You also completely failed to answer my previous point, why don’t we have more cases of kids being injured by matches or knives? Why because we teach them that they are not toys and can cause injury if used improperly. We need to teach our kids the same about guns, even if you don’t have one in the house. Yes parents need to lock up their guns, but they also need to teach thier kids proper safety and how the gun works, and even if you don’t own a firearm, you should teach your kid the following if they ever find a gun

1. Stop

2. Don’t Touch

3. Leave the area and tell an adult

And I learned that from the NRA which you seem to hate so much.

Brokenscope says:

The fact that there were matches laying around the house says alot about America.

Sorry, some of us don’t ban tools because somepeople can’t use them.

HarmlessBunny says:

Happens in Canada, UK, majority of Europe, etc etc….just this event got somehow reported in the news, under cops spouting bullshit that Halo the game was responsible.

"Put down the gun Halo!"

"You’ll never take me alive! "

MasterAssassin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Erik incidents like this WOULD NOT HAPPEN, if we taught our kids proper gun safety. How many stories do we hear about kids injuring or killing themselves with matches or knives? Not many because we teach our kids not to play with those and that they are not toys. The reason why we hear about so many accidents like this is because of irresponsible people who don’t teach thier kids gun safety because they try to force this politically correct worldview that guns are evil, which never works because kids espicially boys are attracted to that sort of thing. If we taught our kids proper gun safety than we would not see this happening. Guns are not the problem, it’s irresponsible people who own guns.

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

"Erik incidents like this WOULD NOT HAPPEN, if we taught our kids proper gun safety."

Uh-huh.  Yeah right.  You mean like how there is no more drug use by minors because of programs like D.A.R.E.

Oh wait, that is wrong.  Drug use is still quite a booming industry.  Just because you teach someone something doesn’t mean they are going to use it.  So saying that a situation like this would NOT happen is a total fabrication.  The form of responsibility from these gun owners should have been better storage.

So once again: Guns are dangerous.  I know you forsee a NRA utopian future where people leave their guns laying around their house like diry laundry and yet no one becomes injured because everyone has learned gun saftey and everyone follows the rules all the time.  But back in the real world we realize that even with teaching such saftey kids aren’t know for great decision making.  Otherwise, you know, they wouldn’t need parents to shoulder that responsibility for them.

NovaBlack says:

‘All the technology in the world won’t stop someone who is dead-set on using a gun’

yeah.. but thats the point. Gun control wouldnt stop the 1 in a hundred people who are dead set on using a gun, but it would stop the other 99, who were using the gun to ‘play’ or fool around with. Had no guns been in the house, this WOULD NOT have happened. fact.

Ghost270 says:

Wow, the kid should have known better…. Even if the parents had kept the gun locked up, i’m sure he would have found the key anyway…. So the parents are not 100% to blame. We keep guns around the house , but granted we are much older, and we know good and well what damage a gun can do….The kid should have known, and the parents should have demonstrated what it can do.

Blaming lack of gun control is a cheap cop out, don’t use it. All the technology in the world won’t stop someone who is dead-set on using a gun. Trigger locks can be unlocked, and ammo can be found, or bought.

Gun control is in the hands of gun owners and users, not the ignorant, and sometimes functionally retarded, gun control advocates who have never even touched  a firearm.

It sad when stuff like this happens and you people decide to flame the kid….. Show some friggin’ decency will ya?

Geeze the kid died…… It don’t mater who is at fault now, whether it’s the kid, the dad, or Bill Cosby; it still doesn’t change the fact that the kid is still dead.

I think the parents have been through enough, their punishment is having to live with the mistake they made and their son made.
    The blame doesn’t lie with the parent, it lies with the kid. He was irresponsible with a deadly firearm, and was killed by it. The kid pulled the trigger, not the parents.

Tem Dejima Weathers says:

I just wanted to point out something a lot of people seem to be missing:

“The child was getting ready for school and decided to skip school. He was playing video games and we found out he had a .22 caliber rifle that belongs to him. He had access to the rifle and a magazine was kept somewhere else by his parents. He was familiar with the rifle and had been shooting it a couple of times a month – he lived out in the country, so that was nothing unusual.”

The gun belonged to the kid. I want to know what kind of family GIVES an 11 year old a .22.

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

if the kid is 16, sure…  14 i would be against it, but i could see how some parents could justify it… at 11 years old though?  that is bad parenting buddy

Father Time says:

Wait a minute why do you assume 1 was from bad parenting? Even with good parenting a kid can still make a consciouss decision to skip school and try to get away with it.

Snark says:

You know, it said in the article that the gun was specifically the kid’s, that while he owned the gun, his parents kept the magazine and ammo seperately, but he still found it… so really whether you’re really for gun control or not, you may not really want an 11 year old kid having that kind of access. Gun control or not, this was a child, so his gun rights aren’t really an issue. Though I’d like to think that by the age of 11, most get that playing around with a loaded gun is bad. I’m pretty sure video games aren’t going to change that. Besides, the mention of Halo just sounds more like media spin than any actual acusations.

Father Time says:

Never mind the fact that even without guns there’s a whole range of household objects kids can hurt themselves with (knives, chemicals, electrical outlets and things that start fires for example).

But to say this is a good reason to enact gun control is moronic. Not every gun owner has children, not every gun owner is irresponsible with their gun(s).

One time a parent left a pot of boiling water on the stove to make pasta then fell asleep because of stress. One of her children reached for the pot causing the entire pot’s worth of hot water to spill on the child, killing it (can’t remember if it was a he or she). Do we blame the pot of boiling water for this tradgedy? Do we ban the cooking of pasta on a stove? Oh and sad to say that was a true story.

Austin_Lewis says:

Never mind that the kids who get a gun from pa’s stash and shot themselves or others account for maybe 100 deaths a year.  Never mind that in order to point a gun at yourself, even while ‘playing around’, you have to be pretty fucking retarded.

Redmess ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Oh, clearly. It is very safe to have all citizens have guns lying around the house. Never mind that 11 year old that gol hold of a gun and shot himself. Never mind all those other kids who got a gun from pa’s stash and started shooting people. Yeah, very safe indeed.

ReEaPeR says:

lol. thats funny. But lest get serious. Y is an 11 year old have a Halo 3 that is rated M. at least wait till hes like 14. He’ll understand its only a competitive game.

Anonymous says:

Figures, retarded parents would rather blame his death on Halo rather on themselves for leaving it to where the kid can get it. And that other guy was right, since when in ANY Halo game do you point the gun at yourself. This is an embarresment.

Vake ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Since when in Halo (or any game for that matter)  do you have to unload?

This happens all the time. People take out the mag and think the gun’s unloaded.

There’s still a round in the chamber.

Games don’t teach that. And for that matter, neither do movies. And people say games can teach proper weapons manual. Try again.

Terry says:

"Lee said it appeared, following the department’s investigation, that after playing a combat video game called “Halo,” Nimm took the gun and tried to recreate some of the things that had occurred in the game."

Where did they come up with that?

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

1)Child skipped school + to play video games [bad parenting]
    2)Child found firearm [bad parenting since it was in reach of a child]
    3)Firearm was loaded [can’t say bad or not to this, because if someone broke into my house in the middle of the night, I rather have aloaded gun next to me than a locked up, unloaded gun, especially if they break into my kid’s room.]
    4)Child not educated on safety with the gun as well to never touch it [bad parenting]

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My dad keeps a loaded firearm upstairs, because an unloaded gun is a useless gun, same with a locked gun. On top of that, the number 1 rule is always assume a gun is loaded, and number 2 is never point a gun at anything you wouldn’t want to shoot. Obviously the parent’s never clarified those two rules, but I don’t think just having a gun out or loaded is a bad thing in itself.

Also, local law on guns vary, so for the previous comment stating that keeping a gun loaded is illegal, it may not be in his area.

Freyar says:

I am really glad that in the article, they seem to be focusing on weapon safety rather than video games themselves. Let’s consider the steps that caused this problem though.

1)Child skipped school

2)Child found firearm

3)Firearm was loaded

What does this tell you? Simple, the parents (I feel bad for their loss) are to blame for the failure here. The firearm is the lethal weapon here, not the video game.

(Had to say that before we had a huge argument.)

Austin_Lewis says:

1.  Background checks do take into effect mental health.  If you’ve been forced into mental treatment, you can’t own a firearm.

2. You know, you should ask the Irish that question.  The 2nd amendment will always be relevant, and if you disagree you’re just plain wrong.

illspirit says:

One gun locked up in the mayor’s office? Umm, no? The original Militia Act, passed by the same Congress which authored the Bill of Rights required all men to own a rifle, and/or a pair of pistols (milita officers/cavalry carried two or more in their belt because reloading them took too long). Even the four dissenting Justices in DC v. Heller agreed the Amendment protected an individual right; they just felt it didn’t include hadnguns.

Laughable? Did you read what I wrote? An amendment to repeal the Second, as per Article 5, requires two thirds of the States to ratify. This is not an easy task.

Comedy? Err, just seven months ago, Montana passed a resolution declaring that their entrance into the United States would be null and void if DC v. Heller went the other way. Had Justice Kennedy sided with Stevens, Montana’s secession would have been triggered. Three or four other States would have likely followed within 24 hours.

As for Kurt Kobain, that was kind of my point. :p Shooting oneself in the head with a rifle takes some effort. Especially for an 11-year-old who would have to stretch to reach the trigger from the pointy end.

Chuma says:

Wrong right from the get go.  The right to bear arms infact was implied to be a single gun locked up somewhere in the cabinet of the local mayor’s office – again hardly relevent today where most people have their own guns.

The argument that "it is still the law of the land" is laughable.  Laws are there to govern and when they fail they can be changed or adapted.  If the UK can change the House of Lords, I’m pretty sure your amendmends can be… oo.. amended… see what I did there?

"Even if enough of them did sign on, it would cause another civil war because there are a few States would secede."

*laughs*  Yes right.  That’s comedy right there.  And I thought that Jack Thompson was a nut job shouting that the world will end…

"On that note, how the fark did he manage to press the trigger of a rifle with the muzzle pointed at his head anyway?"

Ask Kurt Cobain?

Chuma says:

1.  Background checks do not take into account mental health.

2.  For a fascist government to take control it would need to have the full support of it’s army.  If this is the case, do you honestly think that your rifle is a match for a tank?  The 2nd Amendment was entered for a period in time where the states were united under truce and suspicion; it really isn’t that relevent in today’s society.

illspirit says:

Actually, the Second Amendment was pretty much designed for today’s social climate. At the time of writing, it almost didn’t make it in because nobody thought the government would ever try to disarm the people. The Anti-Federalists, however, were worried that the central government would get too powerful (as it has), and insisted on codifying the right to bear arms so that the people would have a reset button.

At any rate, it is still the law of the land, so you can’t just ignore it and "move on." We’ve already comprimised automatic weapons (except nobody asked us, and instead they passed the ban in the middle of the night with no vote after most of Congress went home), and the only way they’ll be able to ban semi-autos is by amending the Constitution to repeal it. Which would require two thirds of the States to ratify.

It’s unlikely that more than four or five States would do so. Even if enough of them did sign on, it would cause another civil war because there are a few States would secede. But, hey, what’s a few million dead if it saves the life of just one kid?

2 things wrong with your argument:

1. Background checks are made when you buy any firearm.  Its called NICS, look it up.

2.So, the second amendment was wrong, but every other amendment made back then is still infallible?  Firearms are the only way that the free people can stop a fascist government, and they should always be kept by free and law abiding citizens.

The second amendment will always be important.  What if 20 years from now we get a fascist ruler who decides that we shouldn’t own weapons, should all goose step along to his beat, and should kill off a group of people?  How will you make a change, yelling at someone?

Anonymous says:

Or Switzerland where as part of their miltia service (mandatory IIRC) people are required to keep an automatic weapon, with ammo, in their home… wait… double didgit/year gun crimes, nevermind.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That’s the new abrieviation. Not an automatic rifle. If you read the article, you would realize that it WASN’T AN AUTOMATIC RIFLE

Anonymous says:

Godamn gun control hiipie! It’s a well know fact that more guns there are, the safer people are. It’s science, almost. The NRA say’s that it’s true and who are you to question them!

SJ Zero says:

Ok, I’m not the only one who thinks blaming a video game is insane here.

The kid had an AUTOMATIC RIFLE, and was PLAYING WITH IT.

THERE’S your problem! Blaming video games is like blaming YOGI THE BEAR because a kid was mauled by his PET BEAR who was trying to feed him picnic baskets. The problem isn’t the show, it’s the FACT THAT THE KID HAS A FUCKING BEAR!

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It almost sounds like you’re trying to be sarcastic with the first part, but then I realized that you really are an idiot.

I’m properly trained in guns, and I didn’t even fire a gun until a few years after my dad was teaching me gun safety. Yes, kids can be stupid. I agree that the legal age to own a gun should be 18, and don’t disagree with the legal age in Michigan to carry a concealed weapon being 21. I fail to see how teaching kids gun safety will lead to kids carrying guns. A few of my friends have owned guns since 13, went hunting with their parent’s, etc etc. None have accidently killed themselves or brought a gun to school. This was just an accident, whether it be that the parent’s trusted their son, they didn’t teach him all the proper gun safety, they forgot to empty the chamber, or they thought he wouldn’t be that stupid.

Of course angry kids can do stupid things. Humanity 101 for you. Any angry person can do something stupid. They can just use their fists or a pencil if they want, trying to restrict guns won’t solve anything. Teaching proper gun safety and use, and keeping the guns locked or secured until your kids are responsible enough to not play around, is the only way to bring down accidents like this.

Walker_tr says:

I don’t know where the heck you went to school but I’m glad I didn’t.

Bricks, knives and shootings? I can understand why gun control might be an issue where you live but since the rest of us don’t live in such violent areas I think we’ll just stick to educating our children about the weapons and how use and NOT use them. Teaching your children about weapons is fine, in fact it’s better that way so that you can teach them to respect them and what they can do.

paul says:

I am so sick of stupid parents having stupid kids. If Halo was indead the cause of this idiot child doing something stupid, what was he doing with a game that is not meant for him in the first place. Its so annoying when people try to blame what is the most popular as the worlds problems.

Matthew says:

I didn’t get the impression they were blaming Halo in the report, more that they were namedropping it and hoping that the readers would blame it for them. Sadly, the readers do. Even we do, leaping into defensive action like an engineer convinced he just saw a spy.

The kid here was reasonably gun-savvy, and his parents encouraged him in his pursuits. Then they left him with unobserved access to a loaded rifle and misadventure followed. The parents can’t (and I suspect don’t) blame Halo for that.

Anonymous says:

Darwin Award aplication denyed under the humor clause

now hiding your ammo in the stove going off on vacation and forgetting the ammo’s in the stove and heating the stove to cook something would get you a darwin if you died or sawing off a branch thats keeping a tree bent under your gutter after a storm and while seated on the tree

Chuma says:

You might not like to go down the UK route of an outright ban, but couldn’t a compromise be reached such as banning automatic and semi-automatic weapons unless a certification is earnt, background checks made and a yearly check of how the gun is secured?  The second amendment was never designed with the current society and social climate in mind and frankly it is time to move on, no?

Anonymous says:

I maybe in the ‘gun control’ crowd, but every once in a while, I do side with gun owners on matters of legal issues.

This is one issue, that will bring the gun control nuts (meaning, folks more fantaical then myself) out of the woodwork.  To me, having a firearm is like an automobile in several ways.  Both are easily able to destroy property and life.  And both can be safely used without either property of loss of life (unless your Dick Cheney….).

As far as I can determine, a rifle of some sort was used.  Whether bolt action, semi-auto, or full automatic, doesnt really matter here, ladies and gentlemen.

A 11-year old child’s life was cut short.  Children have to be supervised all the time.  The parents are now learning one of the toughest mistakes of parenthood.  The gun owner should lose his ability to have firearms until such time as he or she demostrates the proper use, storage, and cleaning of said firearm.  Further, negilence charges at the least, and 2nd degree manslaughter charges should be brought on the parents for this.  Its their responsibility, and they failed.

The Christian side of me, would make a prayer for the boy.  If the parents asked forgiveness, I would accept it.  But they must still bear the guilt and any legal issues that now face them.

All you gun owners would do well, to make sure stuff like this doesnt happen often.  Or the more insane (read: uncomprising) people in my gun control group, will be well justified in banning guns out of existance.

An we dont want to be like the british, right?

Redmess ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

And what if that happened, and you teached a kid how to use a gun properly? Whats next? Kids owning their own gun? If they know how to properly use one, they might as well own one, right? So, that would mean schools with armed kids all around.

Angry kids can do pretty stupid things. Like throwing bricks at each other, stabbing the hell out of someone, shooting someone.

Kwipper says:

"I’d go after lack of gun control, you can still buy automatic rifles in the US, but its illegal to buy any automatic weapon up here in Canada, and I REALLY dont c how halo got involved with a 11 year old accidently shooting himself"

I am sorry, but gun control is not the answer. The answer is educating children about guns and keeping them locked up where kids cannot access them. It was pretty retarded to keep one loaded anyways with kids around.

Anyways, the kid was pretty stupid for doing that anyways. Oh well, one less stupid person in this world to spread his stupid genes.

Harry Miste says:

This begs a few questions: 1) Where the hell were the parents? 2) Wasn’t there some sort of safety switch? 3) Was it locked or not locked?

XBOX LIVE GamerTag: Harry Miste | Steam ID: Harry Miste | PSN ID: HMiste | EYE. HAVE. YOU.

NovaBlack says:

Ok.. so this kid got hold of a rifle how?

Im not gonna sit here and argue gun control because it always falls on deaf ears and i get shouted down with the same old lines over n over, ‘constitution’ this n ‘even without gus something else would have happened’ that.

All im saying is, had it been a knife he was playing with, hed probably be injured n not dead.

*sigh* oh wll lets just all put our hands over our ears, beacuse for some reason people think its wrong to debate stuff like this, and do it again the next time.. and the next time.. etc.

‘If you keep on doing what you’ve always done, you will always get what you have gotten’

edit: ust realised i meant to reply to the threadnot to the poster above me ! sorry!

SJ Zero says:

I never tried, but with all the things you could do with your wrist, I bet you could shoot yourself in Tresspasser.

Though playing Tresspasser was a pretty good reason to want to in the first place.

KayleL says:

So, the magazine was not connected to the gun. That tells me that he was not attending to shoot at that time. There is no game that teaches you to aim a gun at yourself, let alone Halo.

Where is the connection. There is no connection other then the 11-year-old might of been a Halo player. Besides, how does a 11-year-old have access to a loaded gun. It’s obvious that the kid doesn’t know how to load in the first place. It is illegal to have you gun loaded when not in use, so there are other people to blame.

deuxhero says:

No, the only automatics that are legal here for private citizens are ones created before the unconsitutional Firearm "Owners" "Protection" Act’s, Hughe’s Amendment (and this was passed in a way that if not illegal, was at least improperly handled

Oh, and I understand if this isn’t tought in Canada (not sarcasitic) but in the US, the 2nd amendment to the consistuion explicity prohibts gun control (although like a lot of our consisituion, the left wing doesn’t care)

Freyar says:

Sensationalizing media again, that’s all.

"Smithers! There’s a video game involved with this story! Some kid was playing Barbie(R) Horse Adventure and was trampled by a horse later on! Find a connection, and if there isn’t, make one up!"

w00f says:

Freyar says:

I didn’t get the feeling they were blaming Halo, over just mentioning it. The police were clear that they were aiming towards gun control and instruction according to the article.

cpt crunchie says:

seems to me that he could have been doing anything else, but they blamed halo. i mean, how many kids used toy guns (or for the kids with idiot parents, or gun training, real guns) to play cowboys and indians or something involving a gun? they seem to be pointing the finger at halo though, which is confusing, since it had nothing to do with his death, except he stayed home to play it.

parents, completely at fault.