ECA’s Hal Halpin Reflects on PAX 2008

In a guest column for Edge Online, Hal Halpin, president of the Entertainment Consumers Association, offers his impressions of the recent PAX 2008:

This year [PAX] reminded me of the first few E3s. It was something to behold. Where else can you see a room full of 15,000 people in line… with ear-to-ear grins on their faces?!

The importance of this all… is an emergence; one that can and will effect change… As I explained to the reporters who we did interviews with, Generations X and Y have been negatively stereotyped as apathetic, lazy and uninvolved. And yet, by doing things such as attending these types of conferences, engaging in weighty panel discussions and becoming advocates for their passion, they disprove that label…

More important than the success of PAX as a business, or the comparisons with parallel events, is the underlying cultural significance of the attendees, individually and collectively, and how they choose to harness that power. Perhaps we’re not that far away from the mass media beginning to take gaming seriously. Maybe this is only the beginning.

GP: The Entertainment Consumers Association had a large presence at PAX this year. The ECA booth, for one thing, was more than double the size of that at PAX 2007 and included a members-only lounge where ECA members could take a break from the crowded show floor.

The ECA also ran two panel discussions as well as Hal’s one-on-one conversation with Geoff Keighley of Spike TV. In the pic at left, Hal is being interviewed by Sean Curran of GamerVision who, I found out at the show, lives a block and a half from GP HQ. Small world… Anyway, here’s a link to the GamerVision interview, one of a couple of dozen that Hal did at the show.

FULL DISCLOSURE DEPT: The ECA is the parent company of GamePolitics

20 comments

oto kirlama says:

I’m all for freedom of ttnet vitamin speech and allowing rent a car game makers to put whatever they want in games, but there’s one thing about this app that has me scratching my head.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but from araç kiralama the previous article araba kiralama on this I gathered that players can use Google maps in-game to find the other (real-life?) dealers in their area.  If this is the case, has travesti anyone considered what’s stopping someone from using this app to actually move drugs between hands for reals?

But majority araba kiralama of their outrage araç kiralama stems from what it could DO TO children, not the content itself.  Talk to one of these people and you’ll find they don’t think any books kiralık araba should be banned from children.  Mention American Psycho and they talk about kiralık araç the redeeming value of using imagination to construct a story.  Reading, no matter what the content, is largely viewed as a consequenceless activity for people of any age.  The reason why I mention American Psycho is because of the content itself.  Gaming never has and likely never will have any scenes where someone has sex with a severed head.  Not gonna happen.  Yet despite this, they’ll fight tooth and nail to protect their children from two boys kissing in Bully but whatever they read is harmless… yeah.

The entire arguement is kiralık oto based upon a social normality inflicted by luddites who can’t figure out the controls for Halo so it’s frightening and terrifying and obviously the cause of youth violence on the rise even though, in reality, it’s in decline (which is actually a HUGE suprise given minibüs kiralama the economies status).  In  a perfect world, we would have parents that actually parent.  The idea of sales restrictions on media on oto kiralama any form to accomidate parental unwillingness to get involved with their child’s life is the real problem to me.  Here I am, 32 years old, and being held up at a self-scan rent a car needing to show ID before I can buy a $10 M rated game all because Soccer Momthra can’t be bothered to look at the crap Billy Genericallystupidson does in his free time.  It’s too hard for her, so I have to suffer?

oto kirlama says:

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

OK I see it now. Thanks.

——————————————————————————————————–

I AM DOOMED TO HAUNT JACK THOMPSON’S DREAMS UNTIL HIS CRUSADE AGAINST VIDEO GAMES ENDS.

TBoneTony ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

AWSOME!!!!

Bring back the old E3 of 2006.

We need more audience participation too.

To understand that Gen X and Gen Y have been missrepresented by the Mainstreem Media with negative steriotypes, but when it comes to something we care about we get fully involved.

That is big enough news and something that is really positive.

Thank you Hal Halpin for pointing that out. If only the mainstreem media would understand us more..

You made a Aussie Gen Y Gamer so happy today.

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Jack, clearly you can’t take a hint, so I’ll "borrow" your way of getting people off you. Maybe it’ll have better chances of being effective when being aimed AT you instead of being aimed BY you.

Shut up now. OR ELSE.

$3RI0U$ BU$I|\|3$$ aside, what the hell does Chris Matthews have to do with Hal Halpin?

——————————————————————————————————–

gggggggggggg says:

Hey, jerkball Chris Matthews got canned as an election anchor as MSNBC.  This is the ass who treated me shabbily on HARDBALL re V-Tech.  Gee, what a freaking shame!  Jack Thompson

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Hey, Dennis, is that you with the microphone?

——————————————————————————————————–

Peter W Dawson ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah, PAX this year ruled. It helped that the ECA just opened up to Canada, let me join the organization and hang out watching people play Guitar Hero in the booth in between swag runs. Hal certainly did look busy every time I saw him by the booth.