AntiSpore Creationist Site Revealed as a Rick Roll

Yesterday GamePolitics covered AntiSpore, an apparent Creationist site bent on attacking the evolutionary message inherent in Will Wright’s best-selling Spore.

We noted that there was some suspicion that the over-the-top blog was a hoax. And so it was. In today’s entry the author starts out with a lengthy diatribe on her religious views:

I think part of the problem that is going on here is that the bulk of you are ignorant as to the word of God. I don’t have these beliefs just because I want to, I have them because they are the beliefs that I was raised in. I understand that everyone didn’t have the chance to be taught these things, and learn about God as my family did so if I am going to have this kind of attention I should use it to help teach others about the words of God that helped to shape me into the woman I am today…

…and then goes on to quote biblical passages from the Book of Genesis:

…But the Bible teaches us that God was not done with man. For we were His creation and He then spoke to Noah in Genesis 8:21-27 after the flood.
“21. The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never gonna give you up.
22. “Never gonna let you down.”
23.”Never gonna run around and desert you.”
24. “Never gonna make you cry.”
25. “Never gonna say goodbye.”
26. “Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.”
27.”Never truly believe anything you read on the Internet. There will always be cases of Poe’s Law.”

So – a very clever Rickroll, indeed!

Now, the only remaining question is: who pulled this off? To find out that AntiSpore was an EA marketing stunt would be disappointing. Otherwise, Bravo!

ankaranakliye says:

Baskent Beyoglu nakliyata Hosgeldiniz….
    Baskent Nakliyat olarak ankarada kurulmuş bir nakliye firmasıyız.Firmamız kuruldugu günden beri kalitede hiç bir zaman taviz vermemiştir.Ankaradan sürekli adana,mersin ,bursa,izmir,istanbul,samsun,trabzon,bodrum,kuşadası,denili illerine severler düzenleyerek size en ekonomik tasıma sözü veriyoruz.
    eşyalarınızı ilk önce koltuk ve yataklar sitreç naylona sarılılır daha sonra kılıflara geçirilip ikinci ambalajı yapıldıktan sonra destek olarak üçüncü ambalaj temiz battaniyeler sarılır.Diger mobilya ve beyaz eşyalarınız gerekenler hava kabarcıklı naylona ve temiz battaniyelere sarılır.Takım elbiseleriniz Askılı gardroplarla tasınır.sökülmesi gereken mobilya beyaz eşyalar yerlerinden söküldükten sonra diger evinizde gösterdiginiz yerlere mobilyacı ustamız tarafından ayni şekilde kurulması,montajını yapıyoruz.Sigorta olarak axs oyak sigortası ile çalışmaktayız.Sigortanın kapsama alanıda şu şekildedir.Aracın bir evden diger eve varana kadar yolda meydana gelebilecek kaza,yangın,devrilmesi,çalınması ile ilgili sigortadır.Yapılan sigorta hiç bir şekilde eşyalarınıza  meydana gelecek zarar ziyanı ödemez.Yapılan sigorta emtiya sigortasıdır.Biz Evden eve nakliyat olarak eşyalarınıza zarar gelmesi halinde zararı ödemeyi kabul ediyoruz.Bunuda sözleşme ile belgeliyoruz.Baskent beyoglu nakliyat istanbula tasıdıgı bir sürü kurum ve kuruluşları size referans olarak gösterebilir. Bizi tercih ettiginiz için menmun kalacaksınız ve ailemize dahil olacaksınız.aile nakliyeciniz ankara nakliyat,ankara evden eve nakliyat,baskent nakliyat,istanbul baskent nakliyat;olacaktır.

Anonymous says:

I find it hilarious that people "read it in a book" and therefor it must be true.

Come on, just because a book says something does not make it fact, using that as your sole argument against evolution because the bible doesn’t say it is so, does not overpower thousands of experiements that indicate evolution is reality, thousands of books with evidence to support them backing evolution.  Find a shred of evidence that creation was done without evolution, that the way the bible puts it is all there is.  Can people really be this stupid, are they really that afraid to open their eyes, are they so terrified that they could be wrong.  Come on people over 2/3rds the population are not god fearing, so god must suck at marketing.

I don’t care if people believe in god or not, just don’t make an argument against something because one book that has been rewritten constantly over the years to meld to the latest political views.  The bible does not tell you about computers, but guess what they exist.  It doesn’t mention man visiting the moon, in fact it indicates that the moon is not real because you could build a tower to heaven ofcourse that would upset god.

JustChris says:

You know which gaming-related website I wish was a hoax? The "All I want for Xmas is a PSP" blog. Terrible, terrible viral marketing, Sony. And now for some weird reason, the url re-directs to the Haagen-Dazs website.

David ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

All I can say is that there are rotten people everywhere who do nasty things in the name of some cause or another.  That doesn’t explain why there’s an exceptionally vocal backlash against creationists.  Seriously, some of the stuff people complain about happened hundreds of years ago.

-Jes- ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

My thought exactly.

It’s actually a bit frightening to see so many dimwits VISIBLY missing out on an entire section of the blog post, only to then bash it, point by point, never realising how fooled they’ve been..

But on the other hand, it’s good lulz. Stupidity never gets old, after all!

Mike says:

The most depressing part of that site is the response from so called gamers, especially the sheer number of idiots who haven’t even read the post before commenting.

Anonymous says:

A creationist complaining about intolerance.

Thats cute.

To make my reply somemore than a snarky remark I’ll explain the animosity often expressed. It generally stems from the animosity and persecution that the most vocal of creationists pressured upon those who do/did not believe as they.

Not all, but the most vocal and vehement have left a stain upon your reputation. It was the church that first lashed out against Science, not the other way around, and people on both side bear grudges.

David ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Really, those horrible monster creationists.  Yeah.  How dare they.  *cough*

I’m still not sure I understand the animosity towards us.  It just goes to show that societies never truly become tolerant, they just change their objects of prejudice.

fife says:

we’ll just have to see if it was a hacker or what. Its probably just someone doing something to something to cause a stir, and now they got that attention, they decided to rick roll. Again, we’ll never know, but it was hilarious.

Anonymous says:

In order to be a satire it has to be just a little bit over the top.  This is not – it’s exactly what the ACTUAL creationists believe, and as such it serves them more than it serves rationality.  If this is intended as satire I think the author needs to read Kurt Vonnegut’s ‘Mother Night’, because this sort of foolishness does more harm than good.

D says:

The funny part is that most of the comments are by people who actually think its real. The sad part is that their are comments by people who read the full post AND still think the other posts are real.

TBoneTony ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Acturely, I thought that Spore could be a game that lets you BE God and create your own creatures.

So why all the bashing about evolution,

It is only a theory after all.

You don’t have to take everything too seriously.

Also Pokemon got bashed by Christian groups for the same thing, Evolution…

Videogame Developers have rights too to express their own beliefs in a Videogame just as every religion has a right to spread the good word about their gospal.

Also for religius individuals to commit to such a bashing all because of Evolution only turns many people away from religion rather than bring them to it.

I believe in Dinosaurs and I believe in God too. I also believe that Evolution is one of those mysteries that only God knows and we may not have all the right answers to.

So why fight over it?

I also believe that I am not a christian but rather I am a person of this plannet that is meant to chose what I believe in but also get allong with others no matter what beliefs other have.

We are all different in our skin, looks, beliefs but we all live in this Earth.

So yeah, also I believe there are allot of good things in religion as I have experienced from many different people.

You don’t always believe in everything you read on the internet, but so you should not believe ANYTHING on news stations like FOX NEWS.

Love ALL people

Trust only a few.

Do wrong to NOBODY.

Also if you play a Videogame, you can go nuts and do what ever you want because that is what Videogames are there for. For you to experiment and have fun.

These are the opinions of TBoneTony, Australian Gamer.

KayleL says:

I always love to yell at someone to make my day, and I did when this first came up. But GP didn’t fall for it, so nice job. The sad this is that there are people who truly believe the same things as this website intended.

Zach ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Seriously this crap with rick roll is getting old. I can’t go on youtube any more without someone doing this stupid prank anymore. @#$%ing aye dude. This is joke is not funny anymore.

ScorpSt says:

If it was a hack, I have to ask why the post claiming a hack was removed (check for yourself) and the post is still up. In fact, as of right now, there’s only one "admin" reply.

Geoff ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

If you scroll down the comments at #354 someone proclaiming to be the admin has said that his/her site was hacked.  I’m rather skeptical though.

DavCube ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

No, like all memes, they’re good in moderation. Now Rick Rolling is just plain annoying and JT trolling is almost always worth a chuckle.

Nekojin ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Most of the memes that /b/tards start are decidedly unfunny. They’re even less amusing when they’re overplayed and spammed on nearly every discussion thread there (which is most of the time).

That said, rick-rolling CAN be funny, if it’s done well – if you really didn’t see it coming. This one was reasonably well-done.

FlaktheFox says:

Oh, well played Mr. Whoever-You-Are.

I was half expecting this to be a rick roll and the other half saying this was just your average troll. I have to admit though, even though one of my halfs was right, it still made me chuckle

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

Actually, I was pretty certain it was a joke, and am relieved it turned out to be. I’m sick to death of the "bible thumpers" who "get a wild hair up their asses and do things like this" ruining the reputation of Christians in general who often end up lumped together with those extremist whackos.

"I’m not responcabel fer my comuter’s spleling errnors." — Xlorep DarkHelm

Jefe says:

Damnit, I was actually hoping this was fully real. Love bible thumpers when they get a wild hair up thier ass and do things like this.

Did do a bit of quick searching. Site was registered on GoDaddy via a site called ‘Domains by Proxy’, which hides personal information when creating sites. So it seems the persons intent from the begining was to Rickroll. No clue, however, if it is EA or not. Somehow, I doubt even EA would be evil enough for this XD

JustChris says:

You know, I never was phased much when I got the Rick Roll. Maybe because I heard the song so many times before. When I was a little kid my dad bought me an 80’s mixtape from the flea market. Rick Astley’s song was in it.