EA, Microsoft, GameStop Earn Perfect Scores from Gay Rights Group

Game publisher Electronic Arts, Xbox maker Microsoft and leading retailer GameStop are among 259 corporations that have been awarded perfect scores for their treatment of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees, consumers and investors.

The announcement comes by way of advocacy group the Human Rights Campaign Foundation and is contained in its 2009 Corporate Equity Index. HRC Foundation President Joe Solmonese commented:

The 2009 Corporate Equality Index shows that corporate America understands that a diverse workforce is critical to remaining successful and competitive. In the absence of a federal law that prohibits workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity or expression, it is up to employers to take the lead and implement policies that ensure all their employees are protected.

Game-related companies which also received perfect scores include retailers Best Buy and Target; PC manufacturers Dell and HP; chip maker Intel; online auction site Ebay; and search companies Google and Yahoo. Also on the list, Apple, increasingly seeming like an up-and-coming game biz player.

GP: We’ve been beating on EA and Microsoft of late over a couple of (well-deserved) issues, but must give credit where it is due. Well done!

desperad0 says:

Thanks good job;

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing travesti or little and need to start saving costs. and dizi izle

Now I don’t have to get off my ass for the important shit anymore!

Whats next, ordering pizza from Xbox live?

Wait… I think that sounds like a good idea.

But I think voting should MAKE you get off your ass, and see outside or a second while you go vote. I mean, your picking the president of the United States of America for God’s Sake… least you can do is drive down there and punch out a card.

oto kirlama says:

Gallagher can araç kiralama say all he wants, but I strongly rent a car believe it’s due to his crappy leadership and E3 being a joke. ESA’s Board of Directors need to find a way to get out rent a car of this horrid contract with this Bush cronie before there’s no one left on the Board.

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing ttnet vitamin or little and need to start saving costs.

capi says:

did we forget the nickname scandal on XboxLIVE? having accounts suspended for displaying gay on nicknames should be remembered before giving microsoft a perfect score…

Father Time says:

When you give everyone an open mic and anonymity some people are going to say really bad stuff either in jest or just to annoy people. The internet has all ready proven that.

DexX ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Jesus, Exxon Mobil wasn’t already evil enough? They’re already ecoterrorists, and probably the single most irresponsible and soulless of all the big oil companies. Shouldn’t really come as a surprise that they are a pack of bigots as well.

Anonymous says:

You know what’s really wrong? People assuming they can impose defamatory labels upon someone’s sexuality. Just think for a minute: transsexual is how some people define themselves – and discovering one’s sexuality is simply realising and accepting an inclination brought about by the natural nerve impulses, hormones etc that govern such things. Is it really right that you accept this from heterosexuals, gays and lesbians but will not allow the same of somebody uncomfortable with their gender? To suggest that a benign facet of the sexual spectrum is not allowed means through which to express its sexuality is just appalling. Shame on you.

Anomnomnom says:

Er…not that I agree with the mistreatment of people with different "lifestyles," but being transgender is totally wrong, unnatural, yada yada, etc etc. I don’t have a problem with gays or lesbos though, just, sorry, but to be frank, freaks that choose to stand out in society like that…

DexX ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Uh… what? If someone comes to realise that who they feel they are in their heart doesn’t match what’s in their underpants and decides to do something about it, that’s "totally wrong"? Get over yourself, seriously.  I have several trans friends, and they are some of the bravest and most honest people I know.  It takes immense courage and integrity to stop living a lie and be true to yourself like that, especially when the world is full of ignorant people like you.

Aren’t we at a point now where people can say "I find that lifestyle choice gross/weird/disturbing but I fully support you in leading it"?  Hey, I think blue cheese is disgusting, but I don’t judge the people who choose to eat it.

Dan says:

Perhaps you should look into the studies that show Transgendered people are belived to have the brain chemstry of the oposite gender that they were born as.  Some kind of mix up in the womb coused them to develop the sex organs of one gender and the brain chemstry of the other.  So know what’s going on before you speak.

d.vel.oper says:

Gah, don’t summon him please. Every time you guys type his name in the GP.com comments section, his religiwarrior sense tingles. And then the trolls come…oh the trolls.

Shoehorn O'Plenty ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

lol, imagine if Take Two had been given the same award? It would be incontrivertible proof of the conspiracy against Jack Thompson brought about by th gay agenda and the murder simulators!

gamepolitics says:

LOL, lately his last line of legal defense seems to be that the "radical gay rights" agenda of the Florida Bar (including the recently deceased hero – and heterosexual) Steve Chaykin) is behind all of his troubles. So, perhaps GP’s lauding of these companies showing compassion on this human rights issue will be manage to get lumped in.

It’s all a big conspiracy, you see…

*Chaykin drowned while trying to save his wife who fell into a river during a recent vacation to Colorado. Our friend has indicated a desire to sue his estate.

DavCube says:

Oh god, i remember reading all those ridiculous filings on jaablog… "They’re turning the Florida Bar into the Florida Gay Bar! They’re after me because i’m straight!" or something to that affect… did he end up getting banned from there recently? Because i haven’t seen him post there over the better half of a week.

Off-topic, i know, but when was the verdict in his case supposed to be handed down? I know it was sometime this week, but i haven’t been keeping track.

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Great, not pass that nice treatment to the gay community to your freakin customers too.  As much as I love the gay community, and this is great for them, the consumers are still being screwed, and the people need to hit back.

Eville1NSI ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

John that made no sense. Baseless and blatant attacks on people get you no points with anyone but yourself. Sounds rather masterbatory to me.

If we don’t need goverment telling people how to treat eachother then why are you a.) A lawyer and b.) Trying to tell Americans how to treat eachother? (Yes I can make the logical step by step explanation but you wouldn’t get that either.)

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

What we need them to do is quit taking bribes from the oil companies, and protest the people from these companies…  Are you serious $5/gal in my tiny little town where it was $3.50!!!!  screw this world, screw it hard…

Shoehorn O'Plenty ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Not only do we not need the government telling us how to treat each other, we also do not need the government telling us what entertainment media we can or cannot enjoy, and we don’t need them telling us how to raise our children…

Erik ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Gay?  I’m not so sure.  You molest the dead before their bodies are even cooled by pushing your agenda on CNN, so you are a necrophile.  And you support Thailand overlooking its more serious problems such as child prostitution, so you are a pedophile.  But gay?  No, you could only be so lucky.

Sporge says:

Correction, we SHOULDN’T need any government involvment with anything we do, but in order to keep the crazies from killing everyone we do need a government that gets involved, the question is how far is needed.  In the case of gay people there was  time not so distant as in only decades ago where you could be killed simply for being gay. Protection is still needed against the people who still hold onto prejudices that have nothing to do with an employees work ethic.

Eville1NSI ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I gotta say, Microsoft really is one of the most diverse companies to work for. I work with two Transgendered folks. My first day I took the shuttle to get my badge sitting next to a guy with a mohawk and ten facial piercings on one side and a guy in pajamas and a bathrobe on the other. Most of the time they don’t care as long as your results on paper look good you can do/be/believe whatever you want.

ooo says:

So, regarding the guy in the bathrobe:  What color were Bill Gates’ pajamas and had he bathed yet?

Jack Thompson

PS:  This is more proof that we don’t need to government to tell Americans how to treat one another.

Jack Thompson

PS:  But of course I’m alleged at this site to be gay, so I may be biased.

Adamas Draconis says:

Would you shop at a place where people of your persuasion (Religious,sexual,philosophical, etc.) couldn’t work? Or where the ones that did work there were treated like shite? These days one of the best ways to tank a company’s bottom line is for it to be found out that they won’t serve a particular section of consumers.

As much as I hate to say it. Some people are going to be like that anyway. But if the company doesn’t at least attempt to treat it’s employees/customers decently, they most likely won’t last long.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

kielejocain says:

I do think that if your company took openly anti-gay stances that it would seriously dent your client base.  That said, having a history of subtle or rare anti-gay sentiment among workers doesn’t seem to have hurt some companies (Old Country Buffet), so perhaps you’re right.  That said, I still think it’s a moral imperative if not a financial one.

Anonymous says:

"…diverse workforce is critical to remaining successful and competitive. "

No, it’s not.  I’d like to think that there’d be an economic benefit for these companies for providing such benefits, but generic ‘diversity’ provides no benefit beyond a nice smug feeling for upper management types.

Sporge says:

Sooo having different points of view on subjects doesn’t allow a company to adapt that much better?  In todays gaming world of sequels and movie spinoffs we need new stuff, and people of varying ideas, ideaologies, and backgrounds are essential to see outside the box.  Plus avoids angry protesters.

Father Time says:

Uhh guys there is a difference between discrimination and going out of your way to fill some artificial diversity quota.

In fact I think said diversity quota can’t be good.

Imagine if you will a gay person applies for a job which shouldm enter your mind sooner when thinking of hiring him.

"Is he qualified?/Can he work well here?"

"He’s gay, I wonder do we have enough gay people all ready employed to call ourself diverse or do we need to hire him?"

Diversity is not "critical to remaining successful and competitive". That’s bullshit.

Adamas Draconis says:

Never said it should come before ability. The thing is that some people, given their way, wouldn’t hire someone if they didn’t approve of their lifestyle, even if that person was obviously the best person for the job. I think thats what they are looking at.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

d.vel.oper says:

Can’t find the word to describe how I feel about this…

I don’t know, maybe I’m immature, but this definitely made me giggle.

EDIT: I mean lol, ‘beating on Microsoft’…okay, okay, I’m going…