Muslim Massacre Creator: My Apology Was Fake

The man behind the Muslim Massacre controversy seems unwilling to relinquish his 15 minutes of fame. Although Eric Vaugh issued a widely-reported apology for his game, the object of which is "wipe out the Muslim race," he now claims that the apology was a scam.

We know because Super Columbine Massacre RPG creator Danny Ledonne, himself no stranger to controversy, has shared with GamePolitics an e-mail conversation with Vaughn which took place on September 15th:

Danny Ledonne: It is too bad that you pulled your game simply because some people didn’t understand your political message (I for one gleaned a satirical criticism of Bush’s foreign policy from "Muslim Massacre" whether you had intended it or not)… I believe by complying with demands of censorship toward the Danish cartoon depicting the prophet Muhammad and games like "Muslim Massacre," we are enabling a culture of taboos that are ultimately unproductive in cross-cultural dialogue…

While I recognize my serious/satire game "Super Columbine Massacre RPG!" merely pissed off a vocal but benevolent PTA instead of Muslim extremists… it is disheartening whenever an artist (however amateur or vulgar) raises the white flag at the first sign of social disapproval…

Eric Vaughn: The apology was actually fake. I put the site back up shortly after. Now the media is in a total bind and doesn’t know what to believe.I was just f***ing with everyone the entire time and have had great success.

[GP: Indeed, the Muslim Massacre site, which had been down, is back up]

Danny Ledonne: Erg. I get it. But I don’t. I mean, you have an actual message ( I presume?) and I think you could legitimately stand behind it. Please don’t tell me you’re just another Ryan Lambourn… doing it for "the lulz." If I were you, I would define success as the opportunity to think more critically about the elements your game addresses…

Eric Vaughn: Not exactly, basically my message was the Muslims need to suck it down and stop getting offended by everything. If they learnt to just ignore people, things would be better. It’s not just a message for Muslims, it’s for people in general. There are people all around the world who will do things that make you mad. If you search for them, they are easy to find. Just get on with your life.

GP: Readers may recall that Ryan Lambourn, mentioned by Ledonne, created the execrable V-Tech Rampage last year (see: V-Tech Rampage Creator Demands Payment to Remove Game).

By the way, Playing Columbine, Danny Ledonne’s film detailing the controversy surrounding his game, will be screened at the AFI FEST in Los Angeles later this year. We’ll have review of the film coming up on GamePolitics in the near future.

desperad0 says:

Thanks good job;

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing travesti or little and need to start saving costs. and dizi izle

Now I don’t have to get off my ass for the important shit anymore!

Whats next, ordering pizza from Xbox live?

Wait… I think that sounds like a good idea.

But I think voting should MAKE you get off your ass, and see outside or a second while you go vote. I mean, your picking the president of the United States of America for God’s Sake… least you can do is drive down there and punch out a card.

oto kirlama says:

I’m all for freedom of ttnet vitamin speech and allowing rent a car game makers to put whatever they want in games, but there’s one thing about this app that has me scratching my head.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but from araç kiralama the previous article araba kiralama on this I gathered that players can use Google maps in-game to find the other (real-life?) dealers in their area.  If this is the case, has travesti anyone considered what’s stopping someone from using this app to actually move drugs between hands for reals?

But majority araba kiralama of their outrage araç kiralama stems from what it could DO TO children, not the content itself.  Talk to one of these people and you’ll find they don’t think any books kiralık araba should be banned from children.  Mention American Psycho and they talk about kiralık araç the redeeming value of using imagination to construct a story.  Reading, no matter what the content, is largely viewed as a consequenceless activity for people of any age.  The reason why I mention American Psycho is because of the content itself.  Gaming never has and likely never will have any scenes where someone has sex with a severed head.  Not gonna happen.  Yet despite this, they’ll fight tooth and nail to protect their children from two boys kissing in Bully but whatever they read is harmless… yeah.

The entire arguement is kiralık oto based upon a social normality inflicted by luddites who can’t figure out the controls for Halo so it’s frightening and terrifying and obviously the cause of youth violence on the rise even though, in reality, it’s in decline (which is actually a HUGE suprise given minibüs kiralama the economies status).  In  a perfect world, we would have parents that actually parent.  The idea of sales restrictions on media on oto kiralama any form to accomidate parental unwillingness to get involved with their child’s life is the real problem to me.  Here I am, 32 years old, and being held up at a self-scan rent a car needing to show ID before I can buy a $10 M rated game all because Soccer Momthra can’t be bothered to look at the crap Billy Genericallystupidson does in his free time.  It’s too hard for her, so I have to suffer?

Kajex says:

In a word? Yeah. You have hundreds of other entertainers and businesses who do the exact same thing- creating entertainment at the expense of other people by making blanket statements.

Steve ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You will also note that Rockstar doesn’t lampoon the Islamic faith in its games.

Yes, some Muslims are easily offended, but then everybody has their bad days. Why take the piss? What’s the point? Everyone knows that toddlers can be irritable, grumpy, and unsociable – would anybody try and discipline a toddler? Or reasoning with them? They have to grow older and mature, then only will they be capable of controlling their emotions when someone takes their favourite toy.

Please note I’m using this as an analogy, not a metaphor.

Anonymous says:

I’m not taking this personal at all. I just find it funny that you were offering me a critique on using the word stupider, and I assumed you were trying to insult me because I took the side that was morally unacceptable by the majority. That’s what seems to happen when I agree with the views of internet trolls.

TBoneTony ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Getting to know all about these things, I feel that if I can make a game the way I want, not matter how offencive other people find it, if I can make a game the way I want and know the real message I try to portray, then I can stand up against those people who are offended by my game but I can point out if or if not they had accturley played the game at all.

If we are going to stand up for what we believe in when we make our Videogames, we also have to know how to be strong in doing it even against an angry mob of people.

This is how Rockstar is still alive because they never had bowed down to political pressure

DannyLedonne ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hmmm.  Jack Thompson and I have a few things in common though we seem to be in disagreement on most issues.

Anonymous, you are more than welcome to email me if you have something substantive to tell me.  Or I suppose you can continue to anonymously troll the Net and lob insults at someone you’ve never met and haven’t bothered to talk to.  In either case, you wouldn’t be the first and won’t be the last.

And in Web 2.0, the "fifteen minutes" formula does not apply; we all make our own time here.  I suggest you make some of your own instead of bemoaning mine.

Kommisar ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Being easily offended is not a survival trait in today’s world, whether you are an individual or an entire culture.

Granted, the need to have a thick skin is evidence that the human race as a whole has become more prone to offensive behavior, but that doesn’t change the fact that people who are easily offended by every damn thing really need to lighten up.

If you let someone "wind you up" (as the British say) over the slightest things, they can control you.  They can make you stop thinking rationally and react emotionally.  This does not help anyone, especially the person or group being offended.

There is a difference between seeing something and thinking, rationally, that it is tasteless and disgusting, and deciding not to look at it or buy it or whatever, and reacting emotionally by frothing at the mouth while threatening to sue, kill, dismember, or even ruin credit ratings.

Let us not forget that satire is the first form of political protest, and often the most powerful.  If history teaches us anything, it’s that satire should be protected at all costs.

Anonymous says:

You know who else loved the "oh ho, what big balls ANONYMOUS has" non-argument? Jack Thompson.

You’re a vapid, sensationalist hack whose fifteen minutes can’t pass soon enough.

shady8x says:

I wish mr Vaughn all the luck in the world.

I will also mention to him that there will be riots and death threats over this…

I hope he doesn’t get killed but without a real apology I doubt he will survive… seriously there are some crazy people out there…

Anonymous says:

So wait… he’s annoyed by people who are offended by things, so he makes something to… offend people. Maybe if the world weren’t inundated with immature, ignorant dickweeds like him around, people wouldn’t have reason to be up in arms all the time.

DannyLedonne ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

You don’t have to believe a word I say, Mister Anonymous.  But I put my name to my word and I think the corroborating evidence (ie "Muslim Massacre" being back online) seems to validate my claim.  If you’d like, email Eric yourself and ask him if we have emailed.  In fact, post the conversation here.  Then I can question if "Anonymous" is a reliable source.

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

He was also attacked for making Super Columbine Massacre RPG a while back. He and Jack got into it if I recall.

Kajex says:

I respect this guy. Yeah, he made an offensive game. And that’s fine. If we can have black people in our nation rapping about cop killing and supposed white supremacy, and if we can have "Carlos Mencia" on a stage portraying white and black people negatively, then we can have a video game that isn’t hurting anybody as a way of saying "yeah, this is offending you, now grow a pair!"

Honestly, when have overzealous muslim NOT been anal over the smallest of transgressions? Some chick names a class teddy bear "———-"- the zealots come in and threaten to execute her. Some comic features ——- with a bomb-turban- half the muslim world proves the point with a violent reaction that scares the entire world for about 3 months.

So you’ll excuse me when I say "god bless you" to this guy for not bending down just because it MIGHT offend somebody. The world USED to be an alright place that wouldn’t stab you just for a generalization, but if it’s getting to where we have to censor ourselves fearfully while not censoring similar things, then maybe his game DOES have a point.

KayleL says:

This guy just proved to us that he is doing it for controversy sakes. Even if he rick-rolled again, if won’t change our opinion about him. As far as I concern, he is just a immature person who wants to laugh at people who get offended, even though they have a good reason.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

Direct an insult? Nope. If you took it as such, then maybe you’re taking things a bit too personal. Relax & chill out dude. Get a grip, and stuff…

And, if you looked at my message, I used the more "grammatically correct", which is not the same as "big freaking word politically correct" like you did. However, as I pointed out, "stupider", unfortunately, has actually made it ino the English language, despite the broken nature of the word (as opposed to the correct "more stupid")

"I’m not responcabel fer my comuter’s spleling errnors." — Xlorep DarkHelm

Anonymous says:

Awesome! So you try to direct an insult at me because I used the word stupider instead of the more grammatically acceptable word unintelligent or intellectually challenged. You then try to insinuate that there is irony because I used that word in an attempt to anger me. LOL!

GdRobotUs says:

Any group large enough is going to have at least one asshole. When you add the Internet to the mix, this is the result, though far from the only, or most glaring one.

I don’t know who’s more pathetic, the people who make these things or those who draw attention to it, no offence to GP, but it’s blogs such as this that Vaughn and others rely on for their lulz, and the more attention these things garner, the more impotent non-entities will try and get ‘fame’ by being offensive.

We’ve spent several years as a group coping with someone causing offence purely for his own self-promotion, I think it’s time the Internet, as a culture, wised up to the trick.

Xlorep DarkHelm says:

There is delicious irony when someone claims someone else is "stupider" (or, "feel stupider")… Makes me feel…. well a bit more stupid every time I see that abomination of a word that’s gotten into the English language 😛

"I’m not responcabel fer my comuter’s spleling errnors." — Xlorep DarkHelm

bpm195 says:

So I was completely fooled when I saw this as a satire on American foriegn policy… It was just an asshole that thinks video games are more fun when you’re killling Muslims and they don’t like it….

oy vey

Anonymous says:

Danny Ledonne might speak for the intellects, but the easily offended idiots aren’t going to care to understand what Danny means. Eric deals with the idiots though. If he makes them feel stupider than they are already, then maybe they’ll grow a goddamm brain. I’M LOOKING AT YOU FOX NEWS!

Zen says:

I actually wasn’t offended by that at all.  But then I look at art as a very wide spectrum of ways for a person, or people, to express thoughts, ideas, and emotions about themselves, or the world around them.  If you don’t agree with something, you are just as free to make your opinion known, or even make art that contradicts or goes against the other.

Anonymous says:

Who cares what he tells the press or what he says his message is.  It’s a video game, it speaks for itself.

Le Done: "Blabbity blee, don’t you think you should be a man of principles and stand out blurbal von blurby blab?"

It don’t matter if his intended message was to make Michael Jackson president, he made the game the way he made it.  Anyone who wants to get caught up in the intended meaning and stick behind or criticize it, is doing it for their own entertainment and nothing more.

Blu300 says:

In all fairness, it’s easy for everyone on this board to critisize Muslims for being easily offended, but remember Invaders! Yeah, quite a few Americans decided to act all offended at that too. You’re not all thick skinned yourself.

Steve ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Actually what happened was that some local PC arseface decided on behalf of Muslims that they would take offense. Not one Muslim actually complained.

Please be advised: the Daily Mail (which "broke" this story) is a highly paranoid, racist, and xenophobic newspaper. Any story it carries should be taken with an ocean’s worth of salt – and the paper itself burned in an exorcism ritual.

Anonymous says:

No, he’s talking about stuff like the dog on the postcard in Britain.

The local PD sent out a reminder postcard that their phone number had changed, and the backside of the postcard had a cute little dog in a police hat.

(Some) Muslims got offended by the dog, and the local PD had to apologize for it.

Griftertm ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

There’s actually a fine line between sarcasm and superdickery, well maybe a well-defined and heavily demarcated line between sarcasm and superdickey. Muslim Massacre and the creator’s comments is way past it.

Hope his 15 minutes go by really fast.

Twin-Skies ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Of course, whether ALL of them decide to take that message as literally as you have is something we will need to judge based on a case-to-case basis. Blanket statements. Bah.

Oz says:

Exactly, they are the ones that have and recite the the holy book that contains phrases such as:

"Have no unbelieving friends, kill unbelievers wherever you find them"

"Jews are the greediest of all mankind, they would like to live 1000 years but the fire shall be their home"

"Allah will torment Christains in the fire saying ‘where are my partners whom ye imagined’ "

And we are meant to respect those beliefs? Who gives them the right to have a free pass?

GTCv Deimos says:

Funny enough, I thought that about SCMRPG… even after playing it. Personally, I think that media trying to evoke emotion from historical horrors is a pretty cheap brand of drama.

Vake ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Agreed. If you’re going to take a stand, THEN STAND! Don’t just back down and then get back up when their backs are turned. That defeats the whole point.

Not that I agree with him. He does have the right to put up these games. They’re still disgusting. Plus, they don’t relay his message well. He says for everyone to ignore religious criticism. Fine, but his game is only going to encourage it.

Now I know where both sides are coming from. I have to take a lot of crap because of my religious beliefs, and because of self-righteous hypocits who make us look bad. I’m having to turn the other cheek on a regular basis. But then, you can only take so much. And the fear of the criticism turning into out-and-out persecution is always looming. It’s happened before…

Zerodash. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Seems to me this guy is just as unable to deal with things as groups who are easily offended.  Pissing people off just to make a meaningless point is kinda immature.

Anonymous says:

"if it’s Christians or Jewish people complaing the media ignores it."

I … don’t think that’s true. What complaints from these groups do you think are being ignored?

SimonBob says:

Possibly because you’re at war with a predominantly Muslim country?  If the world were turned upside-down and America went to war with Israel you’d hear about some synagogue raids.  (Took you at face value here; if you were trying for sarcasm, I missed it.)

And there’s always the annual war-on-Christmas stories to look forward to in December.  Fill in the location: "Rabbi Protests Christmas Trees In ______."

The Mammon Industry

ecco6t9 ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’ve got to agree with the creator Eric.

I really fail to understand how on the news they report "the troops stormed a building a muslim holy site…" on damn near a daily basis.

They get up in arms about every little thing and the media reports on it but meanwhile if it’s Christians or Jewish people complaing the media ignores it.

Anonymous says:

Another classic bit of discrimination with nothing to back it up.

"muslims" – you mean all the billions of Muslims, or only some Muslims? If so, how many? Who?

"seem to" – Seem? What do you mean "seem to"? As in "I have evidence" or "I’m just saying this because I think so"?

"every little thing" – Such as what? Mocking their religion? I’m an atheist, but even I know that religious people wouldn’t consider that a "little thing". Mowing down hundreds of people of similar faith? Anyone could get offended by that.

King of Fiji says:

Accutally when I’m trying to mow the lawn and they decide to bury their hive in the ground of personal property without permission from the person who owns the property then yeah the bees can go ($%^ off.

This has nothing to do with the story but I did get gang stung by bees one time when just trying to mow the lawn.  I can’t blame the bees but at the same time I wasn’t trying to kill them or anything I was just mowing the grass.

T_T  So think before you talk Liekos.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Many extremist muslims are very hypocritical in that sense though. They simply make fun of and rally against anything different that we do, but then complain when we make fun of them. Granted, it’s the extreme haters that make fun of us, and the non-haters that complain about being made fun of, but as long as that stereotype is shown by the media, people will keep telling them to "suck it down."

E. Zachary Knight says:

Actually, I would be more surprised that bees were coming out of a hornet’s nest. I would have expected hornets of all things.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page:
    Facebook Page:

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Liekos says:

Right.  Because the best way to communicate cross-culturally is to mock the other culture and tell them to just ‘suck it down’ and ‘get over it’.

Or you know, you could not do stupid shit for the sake of pissing them off…then act surprised when they get pissed off.

"I poked this huge hornet nest with a stick today, and the damn bees actually came out and stung me!  WTF!  Those dumb ass bees should just accept being poked with sticks, because I’m not going to stop."

SounDemon says:

What I find particularly immature about Eric Vaugn is that he had no good particular message; he was just trying to offend everybody that he possibly could.

He can’t even hold a candle to what Danny has done; his game changed my life for the better, subject matter be damned. I was in the situation Danny was in before the Columbine massacre; I was contemplating horrible things. When I played Danny’s game, it made me see exactly what kind of suffering that act will cause.

To me, Columbine was a textbook event before I played Danny’s game. Like a story, if you will; his game made me see that Columbine wasn’t an irrelevant cultural story, but that it was a REAL EVENT, with REAL consequences that caused untold amounts of pain and horror.

His game changed me for the better, and this guy just making his game with no clear message but to offend very easily offended people; much like shooting fish in a barrel. This guy’s game was not a cultural service, like SCMRPG!, it was more like Border Patrol; a crass flash game with no redeemable purpose.

DavCube (can't log in) says:

I actually expect that… i was actually rickrolled on my freaking morning radio show this morning. That officially broke my tollerance for it.

(Well, it was technically the co-host that got rickrolled because she was giving a little personal story and the other co-host just pulled up the audio, but still. XD)