Survey Says: MMO Players Not Fat, But Have Other Issues

We MMO gamers may not be such couch potatoes after all, according to a new study jointly conducted at the University of Southern California, the Palo Alto Research Center, and the University of Delaware.

Unfortunately, we have other, um…. issues.

The New Scientist reports that research teams surveyed 7,000 Everquest II players about their physical and mental health. Study participants received a special in-game item, the Greatstaff of the Sun Serpent as an incentive to participate.

The news about the health of MMO players was surprisingly good:

The results suggest that adult gamers have an average body mass index of 25.2, compared to the overall American average of 28. The average gamer also engages in vigorous exercise once or twice a week, which the researchers say is more than most Americans. The reasons for this are not obvious, although the team suggest it may be because more educated, wealthier people are attracted to computer games, and these people also tend to take better care of their health.

However, the EQII gamer population had some mental health issues:

The downside, however, was that the gamers reported more cases of depression and substance abuse than their compatriots. "They may be drawn to use the game to help deal with emotional distress," says team member Scott Caplan of the University of Delaware.

The survey also found that the EQII audience was older and less male-dominated than the common wisdom would dictate.

18 comments

1. j0k3r says:

Thanks good job;

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing travesti or little and need to start saving costs. and dizi izle

Now I don’t have to get off my ass for the important shit anymore!

Whats next, ordering pizza from Xbox live?

Wait… I think that sounds like a good idea.

But I think voting should MAKE you get off your ass, and see outside or a second while you go vote. I mean, your picking the president of the United States of America for God’s Sake… least you can do is drive down there and punch out a card.

2. oto kirlama says:

Gallagher can araç kiralama say all he wants, but I strongly rent a car believe it’s due to his crappy leadership and E3 being a joke. ESA’s Board of Directors need to find a way to get out rent a car of this horrid contract with this Bush cronie before there’s no one left on the Board.

Btw, I think Atari and Midway will drop out too, but mostly travesti because  these guys have done nothing ttnet vitamin or little and need to start saving costs.

Now I don’t have to get off my ass for the important shit anymore!

Whats next, ordering pizza from Xbox live?

Wait… I think that sounds like a good idea.

3. Anonymous says:

I don’t know if I would classify them as having a problem, but the gamers that I knew in college and high school were split about 50/50 on whether to use drugs and alcohol.

4. Anonymous says:

i remember taking this survey back when i played eq2…

im willing to bet half the people who did it just clicked through with random answers just to get the cool looking staff.

5. Anonymous says:

Heh, certain players in WoW show that the mental health issues arent exclusive to EQII, as someone who’s survived barrens chat (for those of you who are unfamiliar, it’s the most immature zonewide chat in the game) on 5 total horde characters, I can testify to that

6. Meggie says:

Depression I can understand, I enjoy taking reality breaks in games when I’m feeling down. But substance abuse? In college I didn’t know a single gamer with alcohol or drug problems, just every person who’s ever lived above me.

7. Michael Brooks ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

If you’re playing EverQuest II, doesn’t that say something about your mental health already?

8. SimonBob says:

Hmm, a correlation between the addictive submersible world of an MMORPG and classic substance abuse?  Who knew?  Wonder what they’d yell at their interventions: "I can save and quit any time!"

The Mammon Industry

9. Anonymous says:

Self-awareness of MMO player stereotypes and social-desirability bias.

😉

Not that I have better methodology off the top of my head, but I’m just thinking of the inherent problems in self-report studies.

10. Flapjack says:

Someone up there must love us,I do love studies like that, I do play MMOrpgs and video games,Heck, And practicing weight-lifter.,And if im lying, May jack Thompson’s old erectile dysfunction ass come in here and "troll" me or this topic right now.

11. Coyotes Grin says:

Well aside from the possibility that people _may_ be lying, most of the people I know in person that play MMOs are of ‘average’ body weight, even the ones who are heavier are still well within ‘healthy weight’ status.

The second part of the study is probably less meaningful than it appears within the bubble of the study itself. A large number of people in western society suffer some degree of depression and/or anxiety.

12. King of Fiji says:

Holy crap thats so true as I don’t play MMO’s and I’m a complete tubby.  xD

I could stand a few episodes on the Biggest Looser if ya know what I mean.  🙂