Digital Distribution CEO: Publishers Are Scared of DRM-less Games

September 22, 2008 -

Are video game publishers afraid to operate in a DRM-free environment?

They are, according to Michal Kicinski, CEO of digital distribution company CD Projekt and its GOG (Good Old Games) service. Kicinski told gamesindustry.biz:

We're trying to convince [game publishers] there is nothing to be afraid of. DRM-free, that is something they are really scared of, but on the other hand we can say 'all of those games are available pirated widely so it's better to sell them for small money than make the customer's life difficult and get some more revenues'.

...I think that if somebody is paying for the game then they deserve own it, not with a certain list of conditions and sometimes the list of conditions can be long... DRM makes customer's lives too complicated, and this is usually because of some corporate ideas, policies and trying to be smart, too smart, in how to get customers and how to keep them and no let them go somewhere else. We are believers in the free market and bringing freedom to customers.

Piracy in Poland is always much, much bigger here than in Western countries so we got used to living with piracy and we grew up in a surrounding where there was no help from governments to actually fight piracy. So we had to learn to compete with pirates...

GP: To be candid, I was not aware of GoG until I checked it out for this post. It's apparently not live yet, but is supposed to start up this month. And they've got Fallout and Fallout 2 displayed. I've been wanting to replay those with the new Fallout 3 coming out soon...

Comments

Re: Digital Distribution CEO: Publishers Are Scared of DRM-less

Sadly Crysis Warhead also contains the DRM and limited installs, which is a shame and also extremely bizarre, because unlike Spore, Warhead's target is the very hardcore PC gamers, whom regularly swap machines, hard-drives and upgrade, each of which requires a new installation (upgrade only for the motherboard though).

Re: Digital Distribution CEO: Publishers Are Scared of DRM-less

Oh yes, they've proved amply that it's all about what the users need. Didn't you know that only 1% of gamers need more than three installs?

They assumed we understood the problem of piracy.

Re: Digital Distribution CEO: Publishers Are Scared of DRM-less

They also have freespace 2 for sale.

Re: Digital Distribution CEO: Publishers Are Scared of DRM-less

Thank you, I love how this game is getting ignored.  It usually fetches a ton of money on Ebay.  Having a copy for $6 that actually WORKS with the current windows environment is one of the greatest things ever.

Re: Digital Distribution CEO: Publishers Are Scared of DRM-less

Once you get it, check out the Source Code Project, they've done some incredible stuff with it :)

Re: Digital Distribution CEO: Publishers Are Scared of DRM-less

And yes, that was a shameless plug, since I'm part of it ;)

james_fudgeNot I, said the fly.08/04/2015 - 4:31pm
Big PermAnyone use an Intel 750?08/04/2015 - 3:40pm
E. Zachary KnightSome great comments about gender diversity in game development from GDC Europe. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/250417/Women_in_the_game_industry_share_stories_of_improving_diversity.php08/04/2015 - 3:11pm
Sora-Chan@EZK: It's kind sad that kind of thing still occurs to this day (and for good reasons...)08/04/2015 - 2:33pm
E. Zachary KnightA woman author shares her experience submitting her manuscript to publishing agents under a man's name. http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-172063762708/04/2015 - 1:21pm
james_fudgeme either. They are rolling it out in phases.08/04/2015 - 12:41pm
Big PermI haven't got my notification yet, even though I reserved it the day the pop up came.08/04/2015 - 12:27pm
james_fudgeThanks Matthew. I have not yet installed Windows 10, but the complaints about it have been minimal.08/04/2015 - 12:19pm
benohawkhttp://goo.gl/6yZ7EO suggests you can kill it all, but I haven't tested it on my system as of yet. And I wouldn't recommend digging in the registry or playing around withdisabling services for most users08/04/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonyes you can turn it off08/04/2015 - 12:15pm
james_fudgeCan you completely disable it though? I think you can minimize what it collects.08/04/2015 - 12:06pm
benohawkThe Win 10 data collection sounds scary, but I think it would be just too much data to be useful08/04/2015 - 11:57am
benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am
benohawkBig Perm, you can disable telemetry, just not through the gui. It's a matter of adding a registry key and disabling a couple services08/04/2015 - 11:34am
Big PermBlazers w/ t-shirts trigger me. This madness must be stopped08/04/2015 - 10:36am
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/JimSterling Jim Sterling's commentary of the Xbox Gamescom event08/04/2015 - 9:34am
Big PermI'm talking about not being able to fully disable telemetry unless you have Enterprise software. It's just creepy to me08/04/2015 - 9:31am