Report: U.K. Video Game Critic Keith Vaz Caught Up in Sleazy Scandal

Labor MP Keith Vaz, a frequent critic of violent video games, is currently under the glare of an ethical inquiry in the U.K.

As reported by a lengthy expose in the Daily Mail:

[Vaz] is facing demands for a sleaze inquiry after intervening in a court case on behalf of a party donor… Vaz, chairman of the influential home affairs select committee, urged the High Court to delay proceedings involving a friend from whom he and his family had received lavish hospitality…

At a critical point in the case, 51-year-old Mr Vaz wrote to the High Court asking the presiding judge to adjourn proceedings pending the outcome of complaints by [Vaz’s friend] about how the case had been previously handled, involving hotly contested allegations of racism and bias.

Legal sources said the judge was furious at what he perceived to be ‘political interference’.

Nor is this the first time that Vaz has come under fire for allegations of an ethical lapse, as this BBC report indicates. On that score, in April of this year GamePolitics readers voted Vaz the fourth biggest political hypocrite in regard to video game issues. Vaz was beaten out for that dubious honor by disgraced New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino.

GP: Thanks to GP reader GusTavToo for the tip!

TheEdge ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Ah,I love hypocrisy when it happens to people who tell you how to live your life.It’s simply…………….hilarious.

Do any of you lot think Fox News will have this guy along with Jackie boy as a "First Amendment expert"?

Chuma says:

Bear in mind this is ANOTHER sleaze investigation.  This isn’t the first time.  The other time he was suspended from the House of Commons.  Whilst certain charges weren’t proven, he was suspended for hindering investigation I believe.

Nice to see that those who try to find moral agendas are merely deflecting.  "Simple sword of truth" anyone?  (UK people only will probably get that reference)

Hmmm…it’s from the Daily Mail though…they lied about games, so what makes everyone think they’re telling the truth now…?

-Remember kids, personal responsibility is for losers! For information on games and psychology, look up: Jonathan Freedman(2002)Block & Crain(2007) Just to name a few…

Pixelantes Anonymous says:

People in glass houses…

What really, really irks me about these moral crusaders is that practically all of them think they have some sort of mandate (from God or wherever it may be) to tell everyone else what we should do, how we should behave and what we can’t do or say. And yet practically all of them, behind closed doors, act as if the morality rules they’re trying to force on others don’t apply to them. What’s good for the goose should be good for the gander, my dear hypocrite across the pond.

Anonymous says:

Though, on consideration, this IS the Daily Mail, who are a pretty iffy paper anyway, so I’ll hold my opinions purely as a ‘concern’ until more information is available.

Anonymous says:

To be honest, I genuinely think he believed himself to be ‘superior’ to his voters, and that he had a right to interfere with things when they inconvenienced his friends. I think a lot of MP’s in the UK have forgotten what the phrase ‘public servant’ actually means.

I’ll also admit that I’m a bit concerned about this lawyer buying meals etc for ethnic minority MP’s only, I’m concerned about a double-standard rising in the UK that could cause problems later.

Benjamin Snow says:

Ha ha . . . I love it when people pick on the media abour morales, and yet, they do not have theirs in check!

Let me guest, Vza was attacking video games just to  cover up his own flith!

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

You moron. Vaz was, in no way, associated with the ECA (I think). He was a game critic. Remember: game critic, not ECA ‘stooge’. Now go play by yourself and wait for your disbarment’s final verdict to pass.

Modified Sarge quote: "My favorite part is the part where you failed. Encore! Bravo."

Anonymous says:

Oh Jack, you’re so amusing…

What are you going to do next, pur custard down your trousers?

But then, I suppose birds of feather flock together, you’ve got no more idea of what professional conduct is than Vaz has.

Anonymous says:

According to the Telegraph, the actual investigation was launched at Vaz’s request, after the accusation was made, though, that means nothing in and of itself, it does prove that the Mail is sensationalising again.

Anonymous says:

Hmm…I one corner, I have my willingness to believe that an idiotic, anti-gaming asshole has done something bad. In the other, I have my unwillingess to believe things written in the Daily Mail.

I suppose waiting until a reputable news source picks this up is best in this case.

SticKboy says:

In your fucking face, Vaz! In your fucking face! Let’s see you go cry to your beloved Daily Mail readership now, you arrogant prick!

Thanks for this Dennis – today is now an officially good day :)

JustChris says:

The "morally superior" always write their own rules.  That way, they can never be wrong.

Yeah, that always happens when I beat someone fair and square in Soul Calibur IV online by mixing up my tactics, and I still get called "cheap".

Zerodash. ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

There is a saying that goes "sinners pray loudest".    However, I imagine Keith Vaz is more interested in drumming up a moral panic for political gain than actually solving problems.

Eville1NSI ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That little chipmunk cheeked lard ass lay about needs to have his high and mighty moral ass kicked every now and then to remind him that he’s a hypocrite.