Obama Favored in Xbox Live Poll

A press release touting Xbox Live’s partnership with Rock the Vote notes that Barack Obama has a 12% edge over John McCain among participants in an XBL poll. 100,000 users took part, which, according to the press release, makes the XBL sample larger than Gallup, NBC and CNN combined. Of course, as Giant Bomb notes:

…they aren’t pretending that it’s actual science, because there are so many holes in this poll that it’s impossible to take it as anything other than sort-of interesting. For example, as someone who has more than one Xbox Live gold account, I probably could have voted twice…

Still, it is a fascinating use of what started out a few years back as a space designed strictly for online gaming.

As far as the results, Obama’s big lead is not especially surprising, given that XBL users likely skew significantly younger than the population as a whole. Here are the numbers:

• Obama \ Biden:                  43%
  • McCain \ Palin:                    31%
  • Undecided:                         13%
  • Other:                                13%

Of more value than the polling is the impressive level of political engagement engendered by the XBL / Rock the Vote partnership. As the press release points out:

In its first two weeks of the program, more than 55,000 voter registration forms were downloaded through Xbox LIVE and xbox.com. Additionally, videos from the recent Democratic and Republican conventions were downloaded nearly 25,000 times.

To-date, the Xbox LIVE community has downloaded more than 350,000 pieces of program-specific content, ranging from candidate gamerpics to videos and Rock the Vote logos. That’s nearly five times the amount of people present at Barack Obama’s acceptance speech during the Democratic Convention in Denver.

oto kirlama says:

I’m all for freedom of ttnet vitamin speech and allowing rent a car game makers to put whatever they want in games, but there’s one thing about this app that has me scratching my head.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but from araç kiralama the previous article araba kiralama on this I gathered that players can use Google maps in-game to find the other (real-life?) dealers in their area.  If this is the case, has travesti anyone considered what’s stopping someone from using this app to actually move drugs between hands for reals?

But majority araba kiralama of their outrage araç kiralama stems from what it could DO TO children, not the content itself.  Talk to one of these people and you’ll find they don’t think any books kiralık araba should be banned from children.  Mention American Psycho and they talk about kiralık araç the redeeming value of using imagination to construct a story.  Reading, no matter what the content, is largely viewed as a consequenceless activity for people of any age.  The reason why I mention American Psycho is because of the content itself.  Gaming never has and likely never will have any scenes where someone has sex with a severed head.  Not gonna happen.  Yet despite this, they’ll fight tooth and nail to protect their children from two boys kissing in Bully but whatever they read is harmless… yeah.

The entire arguement is kiralık oto based upon a social normality inflicted by luddites who can’t figure out the controls for Halo so it’s frightening and terrifying and obviously the cause of youth violence on the rise even though, in reality, it’s in decline (which is actually a HUGE suprise given minibüs kiralama the economies status).  In  a perfect world, we would have parents that actually parent.  The idea of sales restrictions on media on oto kiralama any form to accomidate parental unwillingness to get involved with their child’s life is the real problem to me.  Here I am, 32 years old, and being held up at a self-scan rent a car needing to show ID before I can buy a $10 M rated game all because Soccer Momthra can’t be bothered to look at the crap Billy Genericallystupidson does in his free time.  It’s too hard for her, so I have to suffer?

No longer Anonymous says:

mockingly refer to a ‘gigantic conspiracy’ from behind your ANONYMOUS post

Damn, you found me out.  Freemason strike teams are already headed towards your house right now. Run out into the night and continue the proud naderite tradition of good intentions and disasterous consequences.

TheEdge ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Well,I guess I should be surprised.But the McCain/Palin power ticket has dashed my surprises at this point.

To be honest,I wish we could do over the Republican primaries.

Oh,and I think Obama is an empty suit with a pretty face.But hey,McCain is a really old guy who probably didn’t even have a say in his choice for his own Veep!

Good Lord,this is just stupid.

Sean LaBrie ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It really doesn’t matter which gets elected as they are both funded by the same interest groups (ie: corporations).  Here’s an interesting perspective on their ‘differences’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5WiE6MnmCM

I know they differ in other areas, sure, but that’s just to make the whole thing look ‘believable’.  The Commission on Presidential Debates is a private organization, just like the FED and the IRS (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_on_Presidential_Debates).  The idea that we actually have a choice regarding how our country is run is really just a common misconception.  The only way to break this endless cycle of Democrat-Republican-Republican-Democrat rhetoric is to throw a curve ball.  Vote for Ralph Nader.  Send a clear message to the corrupt system that we’re not going to be fooled any longer.

At the VERY LEAST, they should let Ralph in the debates.  The fact that they won’t is proof they don’t want anyone ‘mucking around’ with their perfectly rigged system.

Watch that video and then tell me they aren’t being fed their ‘answers’ to how the issues should be handled.

Anonymous says:

That’s cool. I guess that people who own Xbox’s are more likely to be better off economically, thus more likely to be better informed, thus more likely to be politicaly liberal. I don’t think it’s a true rep. of XBL’s player base, because it’s only the poeple who cared enough to vote.

Anonymous says:

If someone gets out and votes because Xbox Live told them to do so, then I don’t think that person’s vote should be considered valid.  They can have the cookie and a certificate that says, "Thanks for participating!"

Sean LaBrie ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t know why the spam filter won’t let me make my short post, but basically imagine a joke about how you mockingly refer to a ‘gigantic conspiracy’ from behind your ANONYMOUS post, and how the patriot act is proof that our best interests are NOT being kept in mind.

Father Time says:

Well then there’s Mccain who doesn’t know how to work the internet.

Oh and I searched highway on snopes and it came up with 153 entries and I didn’t see the super highway you are reffering to.

Anonymous says:

Face it, Ron Paul wants us to be just like the European Union. That is, loosely connected states with no formal power over each other and a passive-defensive military presence in the world.

Anonymous says:

1. McCain wasn’t the #2 recipiant of money from Freddie Mac.

2. McCain didn’t launch his political career from the living room of an unrepentent terrorist.

3. McCain didn’t live next-door to a slum lord that ended up being convicted for fraud and bribery.

4. McCain didn’t visit Pakistan while in college during a time when the US state department had travel restrictions in place expressly forbidding it.

5. McCain didn’t work for a notoriously group supporting socialist values, claiming "his years as an organizer gave him the best education of his life".

6. McCain doesn’t have a brother living on a dollar a month while proposing an $850bn plan to "help eliminate world poverty".

7. McCain doesn’t put up straw men by saying things like "They’ll say I don’t look like the other presidents on the dollar bills", when in fact nobody says things like that expressly because it’s such a silly and easily defeatable argument.

7 is a lucky number, but I can keep going if you’d like.

Anonymous says:

Maybe the point is that someone running for president takes seriously  a theory that you can debunk in thirty seconds with a internet connection and a visit to snopes? I mean, do you want a president that is that that ll-informed?

Father Time says:

I don’t know if I should mention that Paul’s rejected 9/11 conspiracy claims, although what does the super highway matter. If there wasn’t a super highway and he got elected, the government would just tell him that no highway was actually planned and we’d get on with our lives.

Oh and what are "Liberarinas"? I’m going to assume you mean librarians. Anyway the surgence of librarians can probably be blamed on wikipedia where all of a sudden gathering information was cool. There’s nothing wrong with librarians though.

Edit: Sorry for criticizing your spelling I just have a habit of taking almost every oppotunity I can to make a joke.

BmK ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Ron Paul has some great ideas like Free Speech absolutism (no law means no law), getting rid of the war on drugs, no coorperate bailouts, get out of the war in Iraq, lesser government intervention in our social lives and nanny-statist protectionist bullshit, right to bare arms, ect. but some of his fiscal/economic views are way too extreme for me.

Anonymous says:

Ron Paul lost because he’s insanely out of touch, not to mention a conspiracy nut (NAFTA superhighway! It’s coming!). I’ll never understand why there are so many Liberarinas on the internet. I guess people that are well intentioned but don’t know much about politics what to think that there different and aren’t ”sheep.”

Father Time says:

I haven’t been following Ron Paul news so he may have gotten more. But if you want to talk about unpopulated states check out Palin’s home state.

Now why couldn’t Obama pick someone from Alaska?

Obama/Gravel anyone?

Father Time says:

Wasn’t the only thing Ron Paul accomplished was second place in Maine and Nevada? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Pity though I was curios to see who he would’ve picked as VP

Ron Paul/Jillette ’08. Doesn’t have much of a ring to it but it would still get the job done.

Anonymous says:

Socialist is right! I heard that Obama is pushing for the government to spend $700bn on bailing out the banks! Oh wait, that’s the current republican president. You dumbass.

Anonymous says:

Please read any 11th grade history textbook before you make comments like this. It’s like that for a reason. It used to be like that, but vice presidents that hated the presidents guts were elected, and one kept undoing the work of and sabotoging the other. People like to bitch about the system, but most of the practices we have are their because the alternatives were tried, and they didn’t work.

Shih Tzu says:

Wow, for the first time I agree with a position of the Oklahoma government.  Third parties break our stupid pick-one voting system.  Either they should be removed from the ballot, or the system should be revamped to accommodate them, but just leaving it alone and pretending that the current system reflects the will of the people is silly.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

If I want to vote for McCain, but not for Palin, I should be able to. That’s what I was getting at. There should be a "President" box and a "Vice Pres" box, each with it’s own candidates. I don’t wanna be commited to a vp just because of the President I vote for.

DraginHikari ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Um it’s like that everywhere.   Palin is the running mate for McCain she’s on the ballot with him one way or another Oo you don’t vote on the Vice-President on a canditite gets.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

That’s a big problem I think in America. In Michigan, if I vote for McCain, I have to vote for Palin also. I just see too many problems with today’s system.

chadachada(123) ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’m not sure what I would call myself, but I consider McCain to be the lesser evil. Honestly, Ron Paul is a great candidate, and should’ve won the Republican primary. Then the race would’ve been a shue-in (sp?)

BmK ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I’d vote Obama only because he’s the lesser of two evils and the race is so close.

Of course i’m Canadian so i can’t vote in the U.S. election but we have an upcoming Canadian election up here and i’m voting for the Liberals for the same reason (lesser of two evils compared to the Conservatives) even if i don’t really care for them. A Conservative majority government would be scary so i’m hoping it’s just a Conservative minority again as the Conservatives are going to win for sure it’s just a toss up between a Minority or Majority government for them. With a minority government the Conservatives have to pander to the center which keeps things in check. None of the political parties up here fit my beliefs which if i had to fit myself somewhere would be moderate populist libertarian.

Deep Thorn ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I am in the other camp as well…

Dennis, when you get back, can we have a poll were we can vote to see what the GP users stand politically?  I know how it will turn out, but I still want to see solid numbers.  Limit it where each IP address gets 1 vote maybe.  I don’t know how many of you guys share a computer with someone…

I think Obama, McCain, Other, Undecided is fair enough.

Later we can vote on how crazy we think JT is,haha.

E. Zachary Knight says:

Depends on the state. Many states have candidates from the Constitution Party, the Libertarian Party and/or the Green  Party. If you live in Oklahoma, you are screwed though as we don’t allow third parties on our ballot.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

CyberSkull says:

Aside from the multiple account issue, I think a bigger issue is that only 2 candidates were named out of all possible (registered?) contenders. Seriously, is it only 2 guys?

Anonymous ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Yeah, people already cheat the poll system, think about the internet poll system with how retared our government is.  They cant even get the electronic voting to work out well.  Come ON!!! I can make a flash program to do all of the voting, why? because it is easy as hell.  Tell it to print, and send info to database.  Then the database be uploaded to a thumb drive password protected, and fully 512 encrypted (overkill, but hell), then have them bring that to a main office where they plug it into the computer there to sent the numbers to the main collection center, wherever the hell that is, as well as call the place.  All uneditable to anyone other than the initial voter when voting.  Have that hub before the main collection place print off everything with 3pt font with a super high quality printer, then the final place print off everything with 1pt font with a even better quality printer.

Full paper trail, full electronic trail, and have the initial machines everyone voted on save all of the votes for 6 months or until deleted by an official, which can only happen 4 months after voting.

Sadly, all of that would only take a week to program the main parts of it at most, and the encrytpion part would take the longest if you made it very secure, and make it so there are reader programs, but not editing programs….

It is all possible…   Online is unfair to certain groups of people though, if you had both, someone would do dirty tricks to screw it up…

Okay, I am on a sugar high right now…