Take-Two Cancelled Previous Drug-Dealing Sim

September 24, 2008 -

Who remembers Snow?

Today's news that GTA Chinatown Wars on the kid-friendly Nintendo DS will contain a drug dealing mini-game reminded us that as recently as June, 2006 GTA publisher Take-Two Interactive put the kibosh on Snow, a drug dealing simulator for the more adult-centric PC platform. The game had been on the show floor at E3 just a month before.

What's different now?

• In June, 2006 Hot Coffee was still a big issue for T2 and the game biz
  • GTA Chinatown Wars = GTA + the Housers. With their contract expiring in February, T2 is likely to be quite accomodating to the creative urges of the reclusive brothers behind the best-selling GTA series.

Here's correspondent Colin McIness 2006 report on Snow from the old-school GP.

Comments

Re: Take-Two Cancelled Previous Drug-Dealing Sim

I might regret saying this, but...Take Two, you pansies!

------------------------------------

Modified Sarge quote: "My favorite part is the part where you failed. Encore! Bravo."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." -- Ben Franklin Game on, brothers and sisters.

Re: Take-Two Cancelled Previous Drug-Dealing Sim

Just a guess: was it going to be a heavily-enhanced variation on the old Drugwars game?  I used to steal^H^H^H^H^Hborrow my friends' PDAs in high school and play that during science class.  They should've gone through with it, but I guess the bad PR would've been too much.

Edit: ah, I see Colin made the same connection back in 2006.  Great minds think alike.

---
The Mammon Industry

---
Fangamer

Re: Take-Two Cancelled Previous Drug-Dealing Sim

Good old Drug Wars, I remember when that game was popular and got a whole shitload of media induced hysteria that made it even more popular. Then it got toned down or at least the weapons did and died. Granted it was a very limited fad game so it was bound to happen anyway.

Re: Take-Two Cancelled Previous Drug-Dealing Sim

Not my idea for a fun game.

Re: Take-Two Cancelled Previous Drug-Dealing Sim

Interesting

---------------------------------------------------- Debates are like merry go rounds. Two people take their positions then they go through the same points over and over and over again. Then when it's over they have the same positions they started in.

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew Eisen...following.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm