Gamers Search, Celebrate Thompson’s Disbarment

Jack Thompson’s permanent disbarment by the Florida Supreme dominated the gaming news yesterday.

In fact, a site which tracks Google searches ranks "Jack Thompson disbarred" 73rd among all news searches for yesterday, ahead of terms like "bailout," "letterman-mccain-video," and "Crystal Cox."

Kotaku reports that disbarment parties are "starting to pop up" but offers only some pix of one JT-decorated cake by way of evidence.

Are you partying? If so, leave a comment and let us know.

jadedcritic says:

I don’t see any need to party.  On one hand, I wouldn’t waste an ounce of human sympathy on the guy (He is reaping what he’s sewn, and I’m not going to lie and claim and that I don’t take immense satisfaction from seeing the legal system finally rid itself of him).  That said, contrary to what Jack may like to think our worlds don’t revolve around him.  I’ve got other things to deal with!   In that spirit, please allow me to close the book by welcoming Jack to the land of everyone else.  The work week starts on monday Jack,  I suggest you start networking to begin the next logical step which would be a transition from anti-game attorney, to anti-game lobbyist.

Father Time says:

Off-topic but who is Laurie Halse Anderson anyway? Oh never mind, tis a great quote. My personal favorite is

"The whole principle of censorship is wrong. It’s like demanding that grown men live on skim milk because the baby can’t have steak." Robert Heinlein (don’t know who he is either).

Remember remember the 25th of September. Twas the day Jack Thompson was disbarred.

Ben says:

Color me flustered. It’s amazing that the average Google user cares more about the disbarrment of this hack than about the economic bailout.

"Censorship is the child of fear and the father of ignorance." -Laurie Halse Anderson

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

I wish I was partying, but the only party I’m throwing is in my head. You have no idea who showed up.

Iris says:

It’s my husband’s birthday, so we’re partying for more than one reason.  He wishes this had come through today instead of yesterday, though, so he could share his birthday with the day ‘ol Jackie got disbarred XD

AgnostoTheo says:

I got a celebration in mind. xD I’ve got half a bottle of decent absinthe in my cabinet. I might finish it off in toasts to Sir Douchbag Thompson. For all the entertainment value he’s given me over the years.

Life begins and ends with Choice. Anything in your life that unlawfully or immorally steals Choice from you should be excised immediately, totally, and destroyed utterly.

barra_sadei says:

I’ve had a bottle of Mountain Dew Code Red in my fridge and a bag of skittles tucked away somewhere warm since May… Yesterday, I brought them out and made myself a sugar-loaded drink. (Skittles disolve in soda… try it sometime.) I also had a lunch of Jeebus-blessed Popcorn Chicken from a nearby chinese store, in which Jeebus (not Jesus… long story) declared today a religious holiday in his religion (Jeebism).

Father Time says:

What’s wrong with Rockstar? They make great games, and if they really wanted to ride on controversy they would add children as killable pedestrians into Grand theft Auto and claim it was to make the games more realistic (which I think they should do anyway).

Well whatever Bully is a great game and you’ll probably enjoy it (I own the game).

Perhaps I’ll buy manhunt 2 this weeked, and if not I will definitely be playing GTA IV in Jack’s honor (in fact I’ll go out of my way to pick up prostitutes then beat them to death).

Remember remember the 25th of September. Twas the day Jack Thompson was disbarred (although he is still a lawyer till October).

DeepThorn says:

My bad, I seem to think they are the only ones at times since they are own a monopoly on the second hand market.  I might have to check out Game Xchange.  I heard buying used games from GameFly can be pretty cheap as well.

SimonBob says:

Man, it was a good night to have a reason to party.  I hauled over to a friend’s place, handed him a four-pack of Guinness, and said, "happy Jack Thompson Day!" to which he replied, "who?"

After that it was a blurry evening of three-dollar Jagerbombs at the local public house and midnight double cheeseburgers on the mean streets.  A splendid success.  I think I’ll mark my calendar next year.

The Mammon Industry

Benjamin_Snow says:

As much as I’m happy at the downfall of Jack Thopson, is it a bit too early to celebrate?  I mean we still have people like Jack Thopson out in the world ready to strike at gamers at any chance!

Oh well, let’s PARTY HARD!!!

"We may be human, but we’re still animals" -Steve Vai (World’s greatest guitarist!)

Mattie says:

I’ve been away at school for a month so I haven’t been playing my 360. I’m going home for the weekend later today, so I’ll probably go on a spree in GTA 4, followed by downlaoding the bike pack for Burnout Paradise, and wrap it up with some Bioshock.

E. Zachary Knight says:

I never said anything about Gamestop. I never liked their stores. I was thinking Game Xchange. That is a nice game store. Their primary business is used games. Everything from Atari 2600 to today.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page:
    Facebook Page:

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

RetroGamer says:

I was thinking about renting GTA 4 again.  Actually, a couple of my gamer buddies are coming over to my wife’s and my new house (Just moved in last weekend!) to play some Xbox.  We were calling it a "Game-warming" but now I think it’s going to be a "Game-warming/Jack Thompson Disbarment Party."

Also, Jack, if you’re reading, I tired to warn you.  Months ago.  But you’re still juat as blind as Paul after his experience on the Road to Damascus.  I hope, I really do hope, that this experience removes the scales of darkness from your eyes.  but I really doubt it.

black manta says:

As it so happens, my GF and I will be going to a party this weekend.  It’s not video game-related, but without going into detail, all I can say is that it’s the kind of party that would cause JT to go red in the face or make his head explode completely!  So apropos of that, I’d say it’s the perfect way to celebrate!

-Jes- says:

Heh, so much of Bully was completely the opposite of what Jack ever claimed it to be.

A pretty decent game, with the protagonist standing up to protect the weak against the strong. 😀

E. Zachary Knight says:

I am considering going out and buying Bully in Jack’s honor. I think I will buy it used though, so as to not directly benefit Rockstar as I still can’t stand them.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page:
    Facebook Page:

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

DavCube says:

Meh, i didn’t party. I’m in the process of making a small and somewhat modest youtube video, and otherwise cracked open my first beer. Which i then proceeded to spit into the sink upon discovering that i don’t really like it.

True story.

DeepThorn says:

hahaha, I would hope that every real game company is celebrating this today.  We know EA isn’t because they are Nazis, but T2, R*, Epic, and thousands of other game studios are prolly having a party today instead of working, haha.

Kharne says:

I brought the Rockstar collection onlline recently. So I figured I’d celebrate in what could possibly be the most fitting way possible.

I booted up one of the GTAs, and beat up a prostitute in Jack’s honor.

Unrated says:

Honestly for about 6 months I have had a beer in my fridge marked "Do not drink until thompson is disbarred"

So I played the rocky song and drank it. Best beer I ever had.

King of Fiji says:

How will the Thompson family get through these tough economic times now that the crazy adventures of Jack Thompson:  Lawyer, are going to end?

And your pretty much right all one has to do is come up with a lable such as "Violence Adolescent Specialist" and you have all the fanatic watch dog groups wanting to hump your leg because they are driven crazy by your mostly BS statistics that are only made up to further one’s stance on things.

JB says:

Don’t worry… like a typical comic book villain, we haven’t heard the last of Jack Thompson. But as much as I disagree with just about everything he’s done and stands for I can’t help but feel a slight bit of pity for him.

King of Fiji says:

I was all "Oh well whoop de do."   Then I realized we are going down the gravy train towards a depression so I was all "Oh well in a way being a total unprofessional moof was his source of income."

Either way though good riddance.