Take-Two Nearing GTA IV Ad Settlement with Chicago Bus Company

September 30, 2008 -

A settlement has apparently been reached between Grand Theft Auto IV publisher Take-Two Interactive and the Chicago Transit Authority over the agency's removal of ads for the controversial game from its vehicles and facilities.

GamePolitics readers may recall that during GTA IV's launch week, the CTA yanked the ads following a Fox News report which sought to relate the popular crime game to a rash of local shootings.

Take-Two filed suit shortly thereafter, accusing the CTA and sales agent Titan Outdoor, LLC with breaching a $300,000 contract. A document filed by the defendants with the U.S. District Court in Manhattan last week indicates that a settlement is imminent, although no details are provided.

Take-Two declined to comment on the case.

Comments

Re: Take-Two Nearing GTA IV Ad Settlement with Chicago Bus ...

OMG. It's come to this? Actually, bad idea in the first place. I love GTA but advertising this game this way is asking for trouble. Actually, do they really need ads for GTA? Everyone knows about it already??

I'm new!
My sites Dora The Explorer & Buy Tel Domain & Dot Tel Domain

Re: Take-Two Nearing GTA IV Ad Settlement with Chicago Bus

And thanks to the nature of the private settlement, both parties will decline to comment to the media, no doubt.  I guess that'll probably mean that Take Two had a clear-cut breach-of-contract case and the CTA opted to negotiate a settlement of some amount rather than go to court.

Re: Take-Two Nearing GTA IV Ad Settlement with Chicago Bus

Exactly why did Take Two wait until now for this?

--- Official Protector of Videoland!

--- Official Protector of Videoland!

Re: Take-Two Nearing GTA IV Ad Settlement with Chicago Bus

Legal stuff takes a long time. I'd imagine this has been in the works for months.

-Gray17

Re: Take-Two Nearing GTA IV Ad Settlement with Chicago Bus

It would not surprise me at all if the Transit authority agrees to allow the use of edited ads, Take Two submits the very same ads, and they get accepted

Re: Take-Two Nearing GTA IV Ad Settlement with Chicago Bus

The good old tried-and-tested Hitchcock approach to editing 'controversial' content.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: Take-Two Nearing GTA IV Ad Settlement with Chicago Bus

Could you enlighten me on what the Hitchcock approach is, I've never heard of it before.

----------------------------------------------------

God created alcohol so that the Scottish and the Irish could never take over the world. -Chris 'Jedi' Knight

---------------------------------------------------- Debates are like merry go rounds. Two people take their positions then they go through the same points over and over and over again. Then when it's over they have the same positions they started in.

Re: Take-Two Nearing GTA IV Ad Settlement with Chicago Bus

When he made Psycho, he was forced by the ratings body at the time in America to make edits to the shower murder. He said he made the cuts, resubmitted exactly the same film, and it got passed with no problems.

Re: Take-Two Nearing GTA IV Ad Settlement with Chicago Bus

It's actually a fair bit older than that, all the way to the 18th century. The first recorded event is by Alexander Pope who had done a translation of the Illiad. The Earl of Halifax suggested Pope rewrite several passages. Pope went away for a few months, came back and read the new passages, with the earl heartily approving them. The catch is there were no changes.

Odds are, the technique is even older.

WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
ZippyDSMleeI loved what they were trying to go with in 3 but it was rather messed up and buggy. Evolution is a typical corridor shooter of the time. The newer Turok is half right they just needed the non-super realistic grim dark story and more crazy Unreal style ga01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
Wonderkarpshe going to do a video on how America Bombed Japan Back To Traditional Values Next? Or one on how Toxic Masculinity in Culture causes Shootings?01/23/2015 - 10:10pm