ELSPA Exec: Game Critic Keith Vaz Helped Sell Manhunt

An executive with U.K. game publisher association ELSPA has credited violent game critic Keith Vaz (left) with helping to make the original Manhunt successful.

As reported by VideoGamer.com, ELSPA’s Michael Rawlinson said:

Keith Vaz has done more to sell Rockstar’s games than Rockstar has. The original Manhunt was released, did diddly squat and fell right off the radar until the Stefan Pakeerah incident came and Vaz started shouting from the rooftops and then everyone went and bought the stuff…

GamePolitics readers may recall that Vaz, a Labour Party member of Parliament, linked – and continues to link – Manhunt to the 2004 Pakeerah murder, despite Scotland Yard’s finding to the contrary.

Ashkihyena says:

Good job there Vaz.  Instead of shutting up and just letting the game release, more then likely to mediocre sells, you go and bitch and moan about it, you and all the other UK watchdog groups, and wham, the sales go right threw the roof.  Not only that, but you guys got Rockstar to make another one.

Good job, just a good job you got going there.

Father Time says:

And here is the ultimate irony of censorship groups. They whine and moan about something which doe snothing but cause it to grow and become bigger.

Although the truly ultimate irony would be if their constant bitching about Manhunt 1 caused Rockstar to make Manhunt 2.

God created alcohol so that the Scottish and the Irish could never take over the world. -Chris ‘Jedi’ Knight

Alex says:

Diet Jack?

Jack Lite?

Sounds like a low-calorie energy drink.

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

C. Aaron Browbowski Jr. says:

well i’d like to think keith vaz is not another JT, he’s just a diet coke version of JT, not the real think… sadly, otherwise we’d see another disbarrment just like JT. but everybody’s entitled to their own opinion.

Jesus Jack Jones Thompson…. is dead… (funeral udruge, followed by Celebrate 😀 )

Mr. Stodern says:

I wasn’t even interested in GTA: San Andreas until I found out there was a hidden sex mini-game (though I knew no further details than that, initially). That’s exactly how controversy works. It’s free publicity.

State says:

The ELSPA quote isn’t entirely true, whilst it didn’t sell in numbers like Rockstar other franchise, GTA, I thought it did moderatley well in sales and did exceptionally well with the critics. Although when some shops (the Dixons group) banned it and the media picked up on it, the sales became immense. Everyone knows controversy sells, film makers know that, games makers know that.

Nocturne says:

There are probably more people who post on GamePolitics than in the Labour party who have heard of Keith Vaz nowadays. Another "could have been but never was" who has fallen back on the tried and tested method of ranting to keep yourself vaguely relevant

HarmlessBunny says:

LOL Vaz is ending up like Jack Thompson…a fool who started controversy and ends up SELLING the games rather than prevent them being in kids hands. *claps* Way to go Keith.