Campaign Smear: Opponent is a Halo Player

Accusing your opponent of being a flip-flopper? Why, that’s practically Politics 101.

But calling out a challenger for playing Halo and blogging? Must be a sign of the times.

In Maricopa County, Arizona, Republican incumbent Fulton Brock has rolled out those allegations and more by way of slinging mud at his Democratic challenger, Ed Hermes (left). Both men are vying for the job of county supervisor.

As Joystiq reports, a campaign mailing sent out by Fulton uses the Halo referenced in an attempt to portray Hermes as young and inexperienced:

Skilled player of popular video game Halo. Hermes was quoted in the ASU student newspaper as saying, "I am addicted to Halo and play almost every night."

The anti-Hermes ad also accuses the Democrat of being a student mascot at football games as well as a blogger and a video gamer.

Bennett Beeny says:

It really depends on which Halo game he’s playing.  If it really is the original Halo, then he’s hopelessly out of touch.  If it’s Halo 2 then the guy is merely behind the times.  But if it’s Halo 3 the guy must be a complete loser – anyone who likes Halo 3 is seriously clueless about good games.

Radkip says:

I’ll be voting for him.  If Fulton Brock feels that way about his opponent, do you think he’ll support the game industry locals?  Probably not (which is kind of stupid, when you think about the revenues in this industry and the possibility of promoting its growth here in Phoenix).  Nevermind that if he’s wasting his time with these petty attacks, he probably doesn’t have a better argument for his re-election.

Ad hominem attacks don’t address the issues.  I don’t know much about Hermes, but I doubt he can do worse than the incumbent.  And it does seem that he has a plan for Maricopa County.  Yeah, we could probably do worse.

JoeCB1991 says:

I live in Maricopa County… and this guy looks alright so far from what I have seen on his website, but I don’t really know a lot about him.

wrench says:

OMG a relatively normal guy running for office. Forget him he might lean towards helping the middle class and lower classes. I bet he drinks domestic beer to do not vote for him

JustChris says:

This comparison reads like something from The Onion. I mean, you have a typical middle-aged guy running against your typical college all-around nice guy, and there are absolutely no points being made about his political experience, and everything else being stereotypical of a college student.

Which makes it all the funnier because it’s true. The writers at The Onion are kicking themselves for not making this up sooner.

Zevorick says:

I can’t help but read this without thinking the republican candidate, or one of his advisors, came up with the idea like this

"We’re running against who?! That (insert explicit word here) beat my arse on Xbox Live last night! We must BURY him!!!"

Geoff says:

I’m actually happy to see the use of this smear.  I don’t like the smear for what it is but I think this is a sign that the gamer generation has finally "grown up" and will soon be replacing the previous generation in the places of power.  This is a good thing for our favorite hobby as we’ll see a dramatic decrease in wasteful studies and stupid anti-gaming laws.  On a small level the smear is pretty stupid (like most smears) but when it comes to the bigger picture this is actually a very positive sign.

Would love to see game-related smears.

"Democratic John Doe says he doesn’t tea-bag.  But that’s not what his former clan says."

"…"We were playing Blood Gulch.  John took me out from behind with a shotgun.  Next thing I know *holds back a tear* he was…he was tea-bagging my corpse!"…"

"Doe claims he was just trying to dodge some incoming Banshee fire, but as these vidoes show the only Banshee in the map was being piloted by his own team.  It’s time to let Mr. Doe know that griefing will not be tolerated."

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

DeepThorn says:

How old is this kid?  He looks like he is in his early 20s to me…

So the old guy is saying, it knows how to use those new dang fangled machines people sit at every day at work, and start a car without the hand turner.  I don’t like that, and neither should you.  He understands this new fangled world, and I will keep things how they were for years instead.

Mommy DX says:

Wow – A campaign smear involving a video game? I say we’re moving up in the world, folks! Next time, I want to see it happening during a Presidential debate! :)

TBoneTony says:

Wow…anyone who is young and a gamer is always going to be smeared when they enter politics,

but that makes me want to vote for young gamers for President/Prime Minister or what ever it is that they are trying to run for. Because we need more Gamers in the White House.

Twin-Skies says:

So he plays Halo. This speaks volumes about his poor taste Now if it were something decent like CoD4, I’d vote for him…

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

GrimCW says:

the right to bear arms isn’t about other governments, its about OUR government, and our legal right to overthrow it if the people decide its become to much and they disagree with the direction the country is going, its our right to defend ourselves from an over corrupt government that seeks total control.

it has nothing to do with other countries, crime or anything else.

GrimCW says:

heh i love that a direct quote from the constitution itself :) i use that one myself when arguing the point but you’ve already done so, so i’m glad to know i’m not the only one who knows about that part.

i’ve actually heard a LOT of people lately talking about that exact part of the constitution and the fact our current government is getting in over its head, a lot of people are also thinking its not only time for change, its time to kick some of these lifetime polititians out and get some REAL people in there, people who didn’t grow up with a million dollar allowance to keep them quiet while their parents ran a city or state.

i don’t think theres any sort of revolt ready to happen, and i doubt it’ll happen in my lifetime, but who knows. the rate of decay has definetly increased, and if they even try to abolish the second amendment… well… lets just say i’m on the side of the people here. I served the government, and i’m loyal to the core, but only to the constitution that our government is meant to uphold, not the people who run it.

Nekowolf says:

One problem. Murder and assult would still be illegal. It’d have to be an entire revolt, otherwise, it’s just terrorism. So in other words, Second Amendment or no, it wouldn’t matter. Outcome would still be the same. Either there’s a revolt among the people, or it’s terrorism. And if it is a revolt, they’d take up arms be it within their right or not. Hence, saying without it it would be more trouble, is kind of nonsensical as it wouldn’t matter.

For the record, I am not trying to say one side or the other. I’m leaving my opinion out of it.

Hitodama says:

That would be quite a mistake on thier part.

From the U.S. Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Without the Second Amendment, we would have quite a bit more trouble with that, if it ever came to it.

Kris says:

No, they knew the importance of an armed militia, during a time when there wasn’t really a nationized army or military.  It was just a bunch of guys with guns who all got together to fight the British army (an oppressive government that they disagreed with).  And I’m pretty sure if we all took up arms and marched on the White House our "right to bear arms" would be taken away pretty darn quickly.  Or if we took up arms and marched on anything at all.

Austin_Lewis says:

Yeah, but our founding fathers didn’t decide on prohibition, a bunch of religious zealots did.  Our founding fathers knew the importance of a law abiding citizen’s right to bear firearms.  Just because your country doesn’t let you have a firearm doesn’t mean that its right, especially since when you ban firearms and CCW, the crime rate goes up.

Dark Sovereign says:

And even prohibitions proponents realized it was a mistake and wanted a repeal. Funny that the same hasn’t happened to the second amendment. You can try that relativistic bullshit all you want, but it won’t get you far.

cppcrusader says:

Not the picture Dennis put with the post, which isn’t the one the incumbent used in the ad.  Try following the link to the source to see the ad itself.

cppcrusader says:

Wow, the writing must be on the wall for Fulton Brock as that ad reeks of desperation in its entirety.  Also, real classy move using a picture of himself that is clearly at least 10 years old but probably more.  That picture is not of a 56 year old man.

Zero Beat says:

At my high school, being the mascot was a mark of genius as the mascot got to practice with the cheerleaders.

Full Disclosure Dept: I was my high school’s mascot >=)

Father Time says:

Our republican governor is in a semi-violent video game and we’ve voted him in for re-election. Considering that our state is a blue state that’s kinda suprising. So the guy plays Halo so what wait a minute I cna see wher ehe can go with this.

‘My opponent plays Halo and if you played against him he’d probably win. Do you really want to elect someone who will make you feel that old?

God created alcohol so that the Scottish and the Irish could never take over the world. -Chris ‘Jedi’ Knight

Vake Xeacons says:

If my opponent released a mud-sling like that, I’d brag about, post it on my campaign blog, and read it during broadcast interviews. That’s something to be proud of.

Afirejar says:

Your constitution also was for the prohibition of alcohol for a few years, and mine used to keep women out of our armed forces until a few years ago. Constitutions are just that, they aren’t infallible manifestations of eternal truths.

GrimCW says:

ha ha, if thats all bad stuff then i’m a devil worshipper with the best of’em.

i just don’t see how that could make him bad in any form at all, if anything i find all of that as perks, if i voted i’d vote for him no doubts now, unless he was against the NRA… even the constitution is for the NRA, so i don’t see how they can be against it.

Zerodash says:

Unless the town’s voters are primarily older folk, the "gamer" smear is going to do nothing or even backfire.  Focusing on his run-ins with the law is perfectly valid, but exploiting his valid & popular hobby is just plain stupid.

HarmlessBunny says:

He is a gamer, a blogger, a former school mascot, and he loves First person shooters? Hmmmm if he was running in Canada I might have voted for him 😛