In Bangladesh, Games are Demonized

An editorial in Bangladesh newspaper The New Nation draws on every negative cliche you’ve ever heard – and some you probably haven’t – to indict video games for a variety of social ills.

Linking games to violence, sex, addiction, poor grades and social isolation? Not new.

Swollen fingers? Muscle problems? Lying? Stealing money to play games? Give the author points for originality, at least. From the editorial:

Playing video games is an addiction…[a doctor said] "There arise some physical problems too. If children play video games for a long time, their fingers get swollen and they face problems in their muscles. These may lead to serious physical problems in the future."

Psychologically, Dr Tamanna says, the consequence is even worse. Due to these games, children get attracted to violence and sex… The children who play at shops have to lie or steal money… When children keep on playing games, they cannot control themselveselectric waves of brains get changed… For playing too much of games, children can’t be attentive to their studies… [they] become disobedientsocial interaction… gets lesser

…Subconsciously, children are learning crimes. These games are destroying children’s sympathy for others… Children are getting encouraged in fighting. They are not learning to see a wrong thing as wrong

GP: There is one solid point in all of this, however. Apparently, piracy is big in Banladesh and the writer complains that kids are buying plain CDs with no parental advisories visible.

Kataclysmic_Kat says:

My Profile (According to Journalists In Bangladesh):

"I have fingers which resemble zucchini and a weird facial twitch that won’t go away unless I take aspirin.

I am a gun-slinging nymphomaniac and a senator in the United States.  I think my "electric brain waves" are a tad bit off, and I dropped out of kindergarten when I was nine.  I don’t give two shits about starving children; just send in U-Hauls."

"That which does not kill me strengthens me." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"Poor fool, he makes me laugh …" Il Muto, Phantom of the Opera

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

*nods* You get points for plausibility. This could be where his crusade came from.

GoodRobotUs says:

The whole article contains a vast number of grammatical errors to be honest, though, in fairness, English may not be the writers first language.

That said, it’s still Grade A rubbish with a generous helping of fear-mongering.

janarius says:

Not to mention the typo on the title: "Vedio games are harming children"

My BS alarm went off when the words "electric waves of brains get changed". Electric waves have little to do with behaviours, from what I know it’s neurotransmitters that matter. Unless, I’m wrong I have second thoughts on this doctor’s opinion. Although, the author did made a good point on the lack of regulation standards and parental guidance in their country in comparison to developed countries.

Hey now, this is serious, I mean, Bangladesh is the pinnacle of science!

Hell, I heard that playing games is what made AIDS and HIV!!!

-Remember kids, personal responsibility is for losers! Jack Thompson is gone, but we are not done… Not yet.

DarkTetsuya says:

"Apparently, piracy is big in Banladesh and the writer complains that kids are buying plain CDs with no parental advisories visible."

Or parents in general? Unless I’m thinking of here in the US…

— "Jack and listen are two words that don’t go together…just like Jack and sanity, Jack and truth, Jack and proof, Jack and win…" — sortableturnip |

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

*facepalms alongside him* ULTIMATE Fail. These people are f***ing retards. Not all the people of Bangladesh, just the ones who are demoizing Video Games.

Paper-Cut says:

Yeah because the movies that show a guy’s brains being blown out all over the wall and full frontal nudity aren’t going to hurt them either. My mistake.

Ouroboros says:

To adapt a quote from Dennis Miller: “How the F!@# do countries who just got indoor plumbing last Tuesday and run their lights off of a Chevy Impala on the front lawn have this as a critical issue?” Seriously, I think that feeding they’re own people and having quality education in the first place is more critical then what video games are being played.

SS says:

Video games cause kids to be violent and not teachers that give corporal punishment?  IF Bangladesh is anything like India(it should be) we kids learned that when somebody does somehing bad they should be beaten up.  If anything desentized us it was watching a teacher slap a 6th grader violently with the kid crying helplessly like a 3 year old.

As for rest the article its low quality bullshit.

Soldat_Louis says:

"Dr Tamanna Begum, a child specialist and associate professor of Begum Khaleda Zia Medical College, says, In developed countries, there are separate games for separate age groups. But, in our country, there is nothing like that. Here, everybody is playing every game."

I think she said it all.

"Children will play video games. But, the time and type of games have to be fixed by their parents. The parents will also have to spend more time with their children. And they will have to be like friends so that their children can easily express their feelings to them."

Once again, I couldn’t say it better.

Zerodash says:

How, then, did all the 20 & 30-somethings with good jobs, families, etc get to where they are after growing up playing games their whole lives?  Shouldn’t the entire generation be a bunch of brain-dead killers?

Father Time says:

"As there are many pictures, colours and speed in games, electric waves of brains get changed. So, children can’t be attentive to any other things. And this harms children’s education most." "

So it’s hard to educate children while they’re playing video games? How shocking. Oh and does anyone know what they’re talking about when they mention brain waves.

God created alcohol so that the Scottish and the Irish could never take over the world. -Chris ‘Jedi’ Knight