Konami Sues Over Yu-Gi-Oh! Cards

By way of the Courthouse News Service, we’ve learned that publisher Konami has sued a company by the name of Vintage Sports Cards. Although there have been a number of video games in the series, at issue is Konami Yu-Gi-Oh! card game.

Vintage Sports Cards is selling repackaged Yu-Gi-Oh! trading cards with counterfeit "rare cards," Konami Corp. says in a trademark and copyright complaint in Los Angeles Federal Court. The cards are based on manga, or comic books, which are wildly popular in Japan.

GP: The complaint has not yet been posted on the federal docketing system, but we’ll add it when it appears.

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Chuma says:

Whatever you think of Konami or Yu-Gi-Oh, this is a cast iron case.  I expect this one to be settled out of court rather than Vintage Sports Cards lose any more money on legal fees defending the indefensible.

Father Time says:

Wow we just acquired a rare monster what are we gonna do with him?

Same thing we do every night Pinky, try to take over the world.

God created alcohol so that the Scottish and the Irish could never take over the world. -Chris ‘Jedi’ Knight

Alex says:

"How are we going to defeat a real monster?"

"The same way we do everything on this show: By using children’s trading cards!"

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

majintahu says:

I work for a store that does similar things. we do buy/sell/trade on games, dvds, as well as toys and cards.

we have a huge ass box of yugioh cards in the back. we stick about fifteen of them, with at least on rare card, in a plasctic snap case and sell them for a dollar each as "mystery packs."

sometimes, booleg cards get thrown in because the peron putting them in is ignorant of the game. and there is always someone who buys the cards in, thinking they are rare "japanese" cards, because we also take import games, and they usually sell for more.

I’ve been trying to weed these cards out, but they always seem to show up.

I’m curious to see if the defendants in this case use a similar claim.

Ragnaar says:

Two words: Life Line.

For those that need the explanation: Life Line was a game that used voice as the main control… except the voice recognition system was deplorable… so half the time, the main character didn’t do or look at what you asked her to.  It was published by… you guessed it… Konami.

@ MaskedPixelante

> Turn on lamp

MaskedPixelante says:

Oh please, bringing 5Ds Wheelie Breakers over to the US instead of Tag Force 3 is a much bigger controversey. No one wants to play Mario Kart with cards, people.

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.