Fallout 3 Leaked to Torrents

Following in the wake of GTA IV, Spore and other high-profile releases, the much-anticipated Fallout 3 was apparently cracked and leaked to torrent sites yesterday, nearly three weeks ahead of its scheduled October 28th U.S. retail release.

gamesindustry.biz reports that the hack involves the Xbox 360 version and requires a mod chipped 360 to play. gi.biz comments:

Although a majority of console and PC games are leaked online before the official release, for a game to be distributed illegally three weeks before it hits the shops highlights the demand for pirated material from users – and the holes in security measures designed to prevent illegal copying of games.

Fallout 3 also reportedly went gold yesterday.

GP: Without knowing how many chipped 360s are out there, it’s hard to determine just how much of a problem this might be for Bethesda.

It’s ironic, as a GP reader pointed out yesterday in our ShoutBox, that Ubisoft is delaying the PC version of EndWar, claiming piracy concerns, while major console titles are regularly cracked.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Misconception…you do not need a modchip to play backups on the 360a DVD drive firmware hack will make the 360 play backups offline, might be banned online but the fact you can softmod it makes it easier to play day 0 games on it faster and more efficiently than the PC stuff with wonky cracks.

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

nicklbmx says:

Alll you need to do to  play this gane is write a custom firmware to the dvd drive no mod chip is needed. Burning fallout 3 as i’m typing this 😀

Wolvenmoon says:

Well, piracy of games that use online content is really a stupid idea anyway, expect mass bans by MS and bethsoft.

I hope, however, that they don’t start trying to sue individuals like the RIAA, they’d just look ridiculous and further encourage piracy.

Hopefully there isn’t too much more of a crackdown on live, else there’s going to be an alternative offered that takes over from the real thing, heh heh, and with increased media awareness, it won’t happen like bnetd again.

gamegod25 says:

They didn’t censor it, as far as I know all they did was change the names of some of the real drugs to fictional ones. It’s a small change that doesn’t effect gameplay and doesn’t really count as censoring IMO.

Anyway if companies want to cut down on games being pirated before release they should look at the companies that burn the discs for retail. It doesn’t seem like a coincidence that the game was leaked at the same time it went gold.

Do the right thing people and just pay the dang money. I know games aren’t cheap but piracy just hurts the industy and punishes those who honestly buy games.

shady8x says:

DRM doesn’t apply to console version…….

I am assuming that the main reason why the PC version isn’t out is because of them not screwing over their customers with drm… if they had drm then everyone with a PC would have the game by now…

Neo_DrKefka says:

This is not an EA DRM’d game. I am highly offended anyone would pirate this when Bethseda has heavily came out against DRM and promised us not too screw with their good paying customers!

Kajex says:

Doesn’t matter to me- I’m getting the PC version for the potential modding capabilities. You can’t mod a 360 game.

That, and I respect the Fallout series far too much.

SeanB says:

you dont need a chipped 360 to play a pirated 360 game, it’s just a firmware version, and console games dont need to be "cracked", just copied.

GP needs an anonymous piracy editor. I’d fill those shoes if needed.

my copy of this will be finished downloading in about an hour.

shady8x says:

ha ha ha ha ha ha

I love it!!!

PC is the only platform that is pirated, not our precious consoles…

IF PC version isn’t pirated till release then I will be laughing my ass off for months…

That said, even though I have it pre-ordered, if it gets released ahead of time on pirate forums, then I will be getting a backup version early…

coderjcronin says:

Actually, this was leaked two days ago, just check some rather well known sites that list the information on these kinds of releases (*cough* google – nfo fallout 3*cough*).

As for piracy on the XBox360 being hard… don’t kid yourselves. Most XBox 360s manufactured previous to May 2008 can be soft modded. This means modifying the XBox to play back-ups with out having to install a chip. As far as I’ve been able to find out, Microsoft doesn’t actually detect the mod, they detect the backup copy playing on their Live service, so the hack is relatively harmless to try. It does require some work, but no more than most users who can install a new hard drive in their computer already have.

(NOTE: I have done this to my own equipment and tried using backups of my own games; I did not get banned. However, I will not tell anyone else how to do it and I’m very strongly against other people doing it to play games they do not own!)

Silphion says:

I find that leaked games are typically sourced from a video-game retailer that received its shipments early.  If Fallout 3 has gone gold the same day that it was leaked out–then it’s more likely a retailer or beta-tester is at fault here.  The legal repurcussions to prevent that from happening in the future, however, are poor.  Yet another reason why piracy "flourishes", despite a developer’s best efforts to prevent its distribution.

DRM isn’t designed to stop distribution–that’s what lawyers are for.  DRM schemes are lately designed to stop people from ACCEPTING that distribution.

That said, something as simple as a CD-key or CD-Check is alright by me.  Bethesda will have my support (and contents of my wallet) come release day.

Inimical says:

The game’s gone gold. Anyone pirating the game would pirate it regardless of when it was cracked. Now they just get it earlier. I think this game has enough legitimate buyers to not damage sales too badly.

MaskedPixelante says:

Developers brought this on themselves. By saying that it’s only PC piracy that affects console sales, they basically issued a challenge to the pirates of the internet to prove them wrong.

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Thomas P. says:

You know, its actually easier to pirate a console game then it is to pirate a PC game.  Why you might ask?

1) Consoles have 1 form of copy protection per console, there isn’t multiple methods to bypass.  Each game doesn’t need to be cracked individually, a single modded console can run all burned games (in theory).

2) The hardware is cheaper, so there’s less barrier to entry then a PC, which may require a very expensive computer, with expensive software (*cough*windows, even though this can be pirated).  A console + modchip is cheaper then a full PC.

3) The Wii even has a method of running backups that doesn’t require the end user to void the warrenty on the console by opening it, albeit this method is slower, it works.

PCs, however…

1) Have multiple forms of DRM, so a single hack can’t be created to defeat all forms of DRM, they have to be created on a game by game basis.

2) The hardware is more expensive, a PC needs up to date hardware and software to continue to run games smoothly.

However, PCs can run whatever code the user wants, unlike consoles that require extensive hacking even to run something like "hello world."

Disclaimer: I do not support piracy.

Artifex says:

Publishers need to stop focusing so much energy on going after their consumers and spend that money and time to crack down on who they give pre-release/launch access to their games. This is clearly an issue of either someone inside the physical production line for the 360 discs or someone within Bethesda/Zenimax publishing itself, leaking an internal copy of the game. Day-one cracks are bad enough to deal with, but pre-launch leaks are sooo sooo much worse. I’m almost tempted to say the ‘e’ word! (espionage) With a day-one crack, you can at least say that a publisher probably hasn’t lost many sales…but 3 weeks ahead of time? You can’t deny that this will cost them some (potentially serious) buy-in from both retailers and consumers.

Has the source (or at least the general production branch) of the leak been discovered?

Alex says:

Man, this sucks for Bethesda. Granted that I’m biased, I’m a Bethesda fanboy after the Elder Scrolls series, but that really sucks that it got leaked the day after it went gold…

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

wiregr says:

Likewise, preordered the PC version. I’d really love to see a lot of the would-be pirates go out and buy this one for PC, if only to demonstrate just how backwards EA and other companies are for slathering DRM on everything and claiming it "prevents piracy" (when, at least for me, it only serves to prevent sales).

Of course, even if Fallout 3 was the best selling game ever, I have no doubt EA and other large publishers would simply find another excuse to treat customers as criminals.

Papa Shango says:

Agreed completely. Especially with the 360 and more than likely the PS3. The only way to play pirated copies is with chipped systems and that is a huge hassle not worth the risk(being caught or ruining their system) for the average person.

GusTav2 says:

One of the distinctions between a 360 game going up on torrents is probably that the number of 360 owners who have the knowledge/capability to play a torrented game is much much lower than the number of PC Gamers who have the knowledge/capability to do so.

For a publisher the risk/exposure is probably far lower.

GoodRobotUs says:

LOL Well, if you ever end up in a bunker, at least you’ll have somewhere to put your food 😉

Thing that a lot of companies don’t realise is that many Pirates operate on the theory of ‘O RLY?’. In other words, the moment a company says something like ‘We are putting this incredibly secure system on our software that will prevent Piracy’, hundreds of talented home-coders will immediately say O RLY? and get coding.’. Often it’s not done because people are evil, or because they make a profit from it, but purely because the company threw down a gauntlet and turned it into a challenge.

Alex says:

There was an article here on Fallout 3’s DRM or lack thereof a few days back, I think. All they’re doing is a DVD check. No SecuROM or SafeDisc or Starforce or any of that crap.

DeepThorn says:

I dont think I can get the illegal version…  even though I will buy it anyways.  Three weeks is just too early before the release of the game.  If it was a week before, fine, but this pushes it to the point where it could hurt their sales more than normal, and I do not expect a horrid DRM, but maybe I am wrong.  If they do have an insane DRM, then I am all for it, because I am getting sick of this DRM crap.

We covered the EndWar thing already.  They make more profit from console versions, so that is why they are releasing first.

Back on topic though, I am sure this game is great, but hopefully they didnt screw it over with DRM.  Fallout 1 and 2 were awesome games, and I wish I still had them.

Doctor Panda says:

I’m pretty sure it’s always been a problem with somebody on the inside. Big companies now.

I agree with you about being narked. In the case of EA you sort of feel ‘have at you’ but bethesda hasn’t done anything that’s gotten me up in arms before – at least i didn’t know about anything worth getting angry about. They were quite clear on their ‘minimally invasive DRM’ thing.

Ahh well, I’ve preordered anyway. Hell, i’m getting the damn *lunchbox*. I barely ever *eat* lunch.

GoodRobotUs says:

Seems to me, from the amount of Pre-Release pirate versions around lately, that Software companies should be looking more to their own houses for the problem than pointing at random, ambiguous people on the Internet.

That said, I’m pretty narked about this, I hope nothing similar happens with the PC version, they deliberately left out DRM on it, and they deserve respect for doing so.

Spartan says:

Honestly I don’t think even if there was a PC version out now that it would have significant impact on the franchise sales. This is a classic title from a beloved franchise and Beth is pretty much a responsible developer with regards to its customers so sales should be great.

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

Geoff says:

Heh, and here everyone thinks that piracy is just a PC problem.  Since you don’t need a MOD chip to run a pirated game on a PC it’s easier but piracy can happen on any platform.  I can accept piracy being a bigger problem on the PC due to not needing a MOD chip, but I don’t buy the excuse that 360 owner’s aren’t as "smart" as PC owners and therefore have a hard time pirating games.  It’s too much of a stereotype to think that a console owner lacks the technical knowledge to pirate a game (especially with how sophisticated current gen consoles are).  Hell both the DS and the PSP have a very healthy pirate/mod community, almost enough to rival PC owners.

All in all it’s just further proof of what I’ve believed for a long time; piracy will always been around so long as there are people willing to put forth the effort to do so.  If the PC gaming industry does die one day you’ll just see a massive influx of pirated console games, MOD chips, etc.  The pirates will just move to a different platform.

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

InsaneFool says:

Seriously though: I feel bad for Bethesda, I’m a big fan of their games and have been since Morrowind…and I’ve been really looking forward to Fallout 3, so the fact that some douchebag stole a gold master copy of the 360 version and uploaded it to Torrents is really annoying and reflects badly on everyone who plays games in general.

J.Alpha.Gamma says:

You need mod chips to play, meaning you’re gonna have to be playing illegally, anyway. And what with Xbox LIVE cracking down on modded consoles, it looks like it’ll be more worth it to wait for the legit release than to download the cracked version that you may not get to play online. Especially since now everyone, INCLUDING XBOX LIVE AND BETHESDA TECHS AND ADMINS, knows the game is cracked and on Torrents. Odds are good that whoever downloads the crack will not be able to play on LIVE.

That’d suck, only being able to play solo campaign. Just ask the victims of Bungie’s new ban system.