Rapper: Turn Off PlayStation, Get Involved in Political Process

Rapper T.I. (real name: Clifford Joseph Harris, Jr.) urges the younger generation to pay attention to the presidential race between Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain – even if it means putting video games aside for a while.

As reported by People, T.I. commented on the upcoming election:

When I’m speaking to young people and they say, ‘Who you voting for?’ I say, ‘Well, what you think’s wrong with the country? What problems do you need to be fixed? OK, then cut your PlayStation off and turn to CNN and listen to these people.

Listen to each of the candidates’ platforms, and whoever you think is speaking passionately and intelligently and will do the things you think need changed, that’s who you vote for.

Sigma 7 says:

I’m just adding to the choir here, but stopping video games won’t help me place more focus on politics.   I already visit a few news sites daily, including ones that identify stupidity and asanine behaviour within politicians, and already pick up enough signals from the various political ads.  (In particluar, one set of ads say one person is not a leader and not worth the risk… but that same party was being blasted for not having a plan.)

When making a decision to vote, you don’t have to scour every candidate – you only need to check the summaries and and important news events.  Anything more isn’t going to change your decision.

Also, as I was typing this message, I was informed by family members that a new political pamphlet was distributed to my house.  This was done directly by the candidate of a major political party rather than a subordinate – which is rather unusual.

Tubatic says:

The negative response herein comments to what TI said is surprising.

I don’t think he’s saying the Playstation (read whatever game system your have) is a problem.

What I’m geting from this is that he’s encouragin young people (many of which are big fas of video games) to take their focus off the entertainment that appears to consume them and get a feel for what the political landscape is about.

It speaks, In part I think, to the fact that this recent generation of youth is so technologically absored that they’re nto necessarily connecting with this real world of ours.

Kataclysmic_Kat says:

I would, but it seems as if there are no candidates worth my time …

"That which does not kill me strengthens me." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"Poor fool, he makes me laugh …" Il Muto, Phantom of the Opera

Freyar says:

Don’t ever say "cut your playstation off" again. You don’t cut things off. You can’t turn them back on later. You turn the damn things off.

I have been watching the debates on youtube when I’m ready for them, and it hasn’t impacted my game-time at all. Sheesh. Maybe consider the fact that it is a morale issue when it comes to younger people voting.

—- There is a limit for both politicians against video games, and video games against politicians. http://www.goteamretard.com

ravenz says:

For your information, convicted felons can still vote in most states and in some cases can own a firearm, all you have to do is get your rights restored, most states make you wait for so long after the conviction but it can be done. Also, just because he is an ex-con doesn’t make him a bad person, he just made some bad decisions (happens to alot of people) .

Demontestament says:

I find it funny he is making it sound like he is going to vote. He is an ex-convict, the day he was found guilty for the purchasing of sub machine guns and silencers was the day he lost his right to vote. Talking to the young people is probably a part of his community service….yeah he got off with that and a fine for buying machine guns and silencers. If anyone has watched this guys youtube videos you will know he doesn’t give a damn about the election and is only doing this to get his name out of the gutter.

lumi says:

Jeebus…WHY was the backhanded gaming reference necessary?  Why not "take off the headphones and listen to the candidates"?

Telling kids to pay attention and form their own opinions is good advice, certainly.  So why was the dig necessary?

Andrew Eisen says:

"When I’m speaking to young people and they say, ‘Who you voting for?’ I say, ‘Well, what you think’s wrong with the country?"

Well, education is one thing.

Okay, I admit that’s a bit of a low blow.  I don’t speak or write with perfect grammar either.  Still, it caught my eye and I thought it was funny.

Andrew Eisen

Benjamin_Snow says:

I don’t see a problem with this.

Now, if these (c)rappers stop making the rap scene a cash cow . . .

"We may be human, but we’re still animals" -Steve Vai (World’s greatest guitarist!)

Soldat_Louis says:

Well, the "turn off the playstation" cliché was useless, but on the principle, I agree : get to know the candidates, listen to them, and then decide who you’ll vote for.

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

The PlayStation thing was uncalled for, but otherwise he has a good point.

the1jeffy says:

Wow, that’s actually very good advice coming from a rapper.

No hos or busting caps or whatever the kids are listening to these days.

~~All Knowledge is Worth Having~~