Obama Burnout Ads Running Only in Battleground States

October 14, 2008 -

GameSpot's Brendan Sinclair is reporting that those now-famous Obama ads running in Burnout Paradise are visible only to gamers who are connecting to Xbox Live from 10 potential battleground states. From GameSpot's coverage:

The EA representative said the ads would only appear in 10 different states, most of them contested battleground states. Paradise City residents in Ohio, Florida, Iowa, Colorado, Indiana, Montana, North Carolina, New Mexico, Nevada, and Wisconsin are being targeted by the campaign...

The Obama campaign is only running on the Xbox 360 version of the game, as it was handled by Microsoft-owned in-game ad firm Massive Incorporated... As for the absence of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, the EA representative said Massive had approached the Arizona senator's campaign about Burnout advertising.

GamePolitics broke the news of the ads last Thursday.

UPDATE: The Seattle Times is now quoting EA PR rep Holly Rockwood to the effect that the Obama ads are running in eight additional games:

• Madden 09
  • Nascar 09
  • NBA Live 08
  • Need for Speed Carbon
  • Need for Speed Pro Street
  • NFL on Tour
  • NHL 09
  • Skate

Comments

Re: Obama Burnout Ads Running Only in Battleground States

Whoa, Obama ads in NFSC? I'll have to keep an eye out. (Yeah it came out in 2006, but I only recently got into the game and have been playing it to death ever since. :P)

EDIT: my bad, battleground states only... I don't know if CA is or not.

-- "Jack and listen are two words that don't go together...just like Jack and sanity, Jack and truth, Jack and proof, Jack and win..." -- sortableturnip | http://www.orangeloungeradio.com/

400 Episodes, TEN YEARS and counting: http://www.orangeloungeradio.com/ | Voice of Geeks Network - http://www.vognetwork.com

Re: Obama Burnout Ads Running Only in Battleground States

I wouldn't bet on it.

Re: Obama Burnout Ads Running Only in Battleground States

It makes sense, I suppose.

Why pay for advertising in states you know you're going to win (or lose)?  I imagine that saves them a couple bucks.

Re: Obama Burnout Ads Running Only in Battleground States

I just keep seeing Gillette Fusion ads... but then I'm in Canada.

Re: Obama Burnout Ads Running Only in Battleground States

>.>;;; Howabout running it in no states?

Re: Obama Burnout Ads Running Only in Battleground States

Actually, I would prefer it to be all or none. If I'm gonna fly through the air and smash things going a thousand miles an hour, I wanna be able to see the billboard in whatever state I'm playing in.

Game on, brothers and sisters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." -- Ben Franklin Game on, brothers and sisters.

Re: Obama Burnout Ads Running Only in Battleground States

As long as you could destroy the billboard when you crash into it, cause I wouldn't mind that since I don't like the guy, otherwise, I could do without.

Re: Obama Burnout Ads Running Only in Battleground States

Thats pretty cool idea for the election.

WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
ZippyDSMleeI loved what they were trying to go with in 3 but it was rather messed up and buggy. Evolution is a typical corridor shooter of the time. The newer Turok is half right they just needed the non-super realistic grim dark story and more crazy Unreal style ga01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
Wonderkarpshe going to do a video on how America Bombed Japan Back To Traditional Values Next? Or one on how Toxic Masculinity in Culture causes Shootings?01/23/2015 - 10:10pm