Consoles to Receive Standards from Energy Star

Tree Hugger reports that console makers Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft will soon receive compliance guidelines from Energy Star, the government agency that encourages efficient use of power:

Gaming consoles are finally getting some attention from Energy Star, whose new 5.0 specifications will take a look at the power consumption of these devices and set more stringent standards.

Starting July 2009, PlayStations, Xboxes, Wiis and similar consoles will at last have some requirements on how efficient they must be to earn an Energy Star seal of approval…  With an effective date of July 1, 2010, manufacturers should have some time between the new standards set in 2009 and the next round of consoles coming off the lines in 2010 to create energy efficient devices.

Via: Kotaku

39 comments

1. Austin_Lewis says:

Actually, in certain cases, taking a lot of a certain poison will make your body reject the poison, and will cause you to vomit uncontrollably until you’ve thrown up the poison and most of the contents of your stomach.

The Moar You Know.

2. Drazgal says:

Ah yes indeed, how DARE they try to improve the running cost of appliances for consumers!

The cads! The bounders! I for one enjoy paying more for my electricity bill! Especially in these times with the average electricity cost rising by 30% (in the UK) I see no reason to encourage companies to produce good with better efficiency.

Seriously people, try doing some research before posting, even the laziest google would’ve come up with enough info to put this into context.

3. Ashton says:

Lots of hateful comments about what amounts to nothing here…

Sure, ONE game system isn’t going to be using up a lot of power, but there are a lot of game systems in households now. It builds up. The same is true for nearly anything. Sure, ONE DROP of poison won’t kill you… but increase the number of drops and it eventually will.

Gamers are always claiming that they’re ostracized unfairly, but is what the commenters here at GP doing so different? Energy Star just wants consoles to be more energy efficient so that they’ll use less power. They want optimal output for the least input; I find nothing unreasonable with that, and it’ll hardly ruin our hobby. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with it? From the looks of 90% of commenters here it’s as if Energy Star made Sony and MS go back to the 16 bit era or something.

4. Leet Gamer Jargon says:

We know: we just choose to do otherwise…you fucking shit.

Just kidding. Have a nice day…you bastard.

Game on, brothers and sisters.

5. Detlance says:

I was unaware that my video game consoles were hurting your environment!  God I’m such a wasteful bastard![/sarcasm]

All honesty, do they really use so much energy that they require a standard for them to meet? I mean, how much energy does a 360 use in the first place?

6. Truec says:

That’s exactly what they’re doing.  They’re telling the industry as soon as possible so that, when the time comes for a new console generation, they won’t be able to claim they didn’t have time to meet the new standards.

7. CyberSkull says:

I think it’s great except for the required power-down/sleep after an hour of inactivity. As long as it is an option, I will support this.

8. lumi says:

As long as this doesn’t become a non-trivial concern for my programmers, who start imposing restrictions on the design and art teams based on hardware allowances, I’m fine with it.

9. elal says:

I’m just curious, but why are they doing this? Unless they can go into our houses and replace our old consoles, what good will it do? If they are really concerned, shouldn’t they wait until Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo come out with a newer console?

It’s a little late now. Then again, we could claim our hobby is energy efficient and saves all the trees. That would be fun 🙂

10. Austin_Lewis says:

I’m with you there man.  Seriously, Sony and Microsoft need to wear the pants in this situation and tell Energy Star to eat a dick.

11. BlackIce says:

I really hope that Sony and Microsoft respond by saying they don’t give a shit.

~You Could Be Mine, But You’re Way Out Of Line..~

12. Austin_Lewis says:

Wasn’t that just Ted Turner off his lithium?  When he painted himself blue?

Also, my favorite Robot Chicken sketch is the lucky black guy with the leprechaun on his shoe.  The way the leprechaun said ‘please help me, I’m complete buggered’ at the end was hilarious.

13. TBoneTony says:

lol

I remember that too.

From Robot chicken

but yeah, I was scared at first but I only hope that it is for the better.

14. Austin_Lewis says:

Seriously, that’s where he went?  That’s pretty funny.

I especially enjoy how Al Gore wastes more energy than 50 of me, and I’m not gonna pretend that I turn all my lights and computers off when I leave.  But no one calls him on it, because he needs to save the environment and that takes a lot of computers, just like that one woman in PETA in a leadership role uses insulin taken from other animals because she needs to stay alive to SAVE other animals.  Talk about hypocracy.

15. Austin_Lewis says:

NUCLEAR POWER IS A GREAT SOLUTION.  SERIOUSLY, WHY THE FUCK DOES NO PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE MENTION HOW FUCKING GREAT IT IS?

16. DeepThorn says:

The technology is there, and there is a project that is almost complete that will drop solar panel prices by 90% and double energy production since it can produce energy from moon light and in cloudy weather.  That is what needs to be pushed and completed.  With that technology, I could build an arcade in my basement and have everything turned on in the house all day long every day with no second though, and only $25,000 for the installation, which would also increase house value.

17. King of Fiji says:

The only person I give a damn about in terms of being preached to about going green is Bill Nye, the official and sole reason I care about the Planet Green channel.

18. lumi says:

I’m guessing this is directly linked to the Folding Project?  Does it still consume all that power if it’s not networked?

19. SeanB says:

Doesn’t the PS3 still have an internal DC converter? If so, (and i could be wrong), that must mean it’s not sucking THAT much power.

20. King of Fiji says:

Didn’t Captain Planet say the power is yours?  As in the power is ours? As in we can use the power anyway we want?  xD

21. TBoneTony says:

Oh sh*t!!!!

Take me back to those Captain Planet days where all we were thinking about was about protecting the wild life and picking up garbage and simple little things like that.

But there ALWAYS has to be a few people around who will try to take it to extremes.

If consoles are going to run on less power, make sure that they still perform well and that it does not interfere with Hardware Development or else Energy Star will just be putting up unresonable demands on everyone and it won’t be a good thing.

That is like trying to make a good thing into a bad thing all because it is only good for the environment.

22. DeepThorn says:

The energy star standards are based off of competitors energy uses, so if they all go down, then they will have to all go down further…  It will be interesting to see how this goes…

23. SeanB says:

@ Posters/Commenters

Holy shit you guys are taking this a little out of context. Nearly everything has Energy Star compliance standards. They’re usually not excessive. My bet is that the only reason consoles havn’t yet gotten a rating was that they were within "unwritten" compliances anyway.

Dont expect this to change anything in a noticible way. If it was going to be earthshattering, it would have happened years ago.

24. DeepThorn says:

Yeah, they need to quit bitching and start pushing for better renewable energy sources instead.  I will not lower my power consumsion, but I am willing to change how I get my power.  What is the point in lowering the amount of energy things use when we are still using oil to power them?  There are other methods of power that are ready and a fair price, just enough people need to invest to make it cheaper.

25. MaskedPixelante says:

Lousy tree huggers. Gotta ruin EVERYTHING, don’t you?

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

26. SeanB says:

"Aren’t there more important issues? Like oil for example?"

That’s a losing argument. Believe it or not, the world is capable of tackling more than one issue at a time.

Your second coment is correct though. As long as it does not cripple the industry, it’s a good thing. My expectation is that the standards will come and go with console manufacturers saying "oh well, no change required"

27. elal says:

Aren’t there more important issues? Like oil for example?

But, if the consoles aren’t effected gamewise, then I guess it will be a good thing. That will be one more thing that videogames have going for it.

28. MartyB says:

A bit late aren’t they?

i already have my Ps3, so i don’t really care if they change it and the new ones don’t perform as good

but it will sucks for the others if they wreck it.

29. Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

*gasp*  Those… BASTARDS!!!

——————————————————————————————————–

I AM DOOMED TO HAUNT JACK THOMPSON’S DREAMS UNTIL HIS CRUSADE AGAINST VIDEO GAMES ENDS.

30. Hitodama says:

As long as it doesn’t effect my ability to enjoy my consoles, or their price. Then it’s fine by me.

Comments are closed.