EA CEO: Half of Spore DRM Protesters Were Pirates

Over at Gamasutra, Leigh Alexander serves up a revealing interview with John Riccitiello.

The Electronic Arts CEO dishes on the Spore DRM controversy, EA’s abortive merger attempt with Take-Two, and EA’s reputation in the gaming community.

Most noteworthy are Riccitiello’s comments on the furor whipped up by Spore’s much-maligned copy protection scheme:

I personally hate DRM. I don’t like the whole concept; it can be a little bit cumbersome. But I don’t like locks on my door, and I don’t like to use keys in my car… I’d like to live in a world where there are no passports. Unfortunately, we don’t – and I think the vast majority of people voted with their wallets and went out and bought Spore…

Everyone gets that we need some level of protection, or we’re going to be in business for free… [But it was] a minority of [anti-DRM] people that orchestrated a great PR program. They picked the highest-profile game they could find. I respect them for the success of their movement.

saregos says:

Really?  Go read the rest of his comments.  Are you really going to tell me that it’s ok for me to trash everyone else on the thread and expect to not get called on it?  And instead of actually reading his comments and forming your own opinion, you call me out for expecting some modicum of respect for other peoples’ opinions from him.

— Sometimes the truth is arrived at by adding all the little lies together and deducting them from the totality of what is known

JC says:

There’s nothing wrong with someone giving another opinion. Resorting to name calling makes you look bad however. Alejar just finds it hard to believe since nothing has happened to him yet. Hopefully he stays lucky and doesn’t have to deal with the bad aspects of DRM.

Afirejar says:

Do you enjoy being an ass?  Really?  Because so far in this thread all I see is you being a complete and total jackass to everyone here.  Who the fuck nominated you to be the jackass god of GP?

Oh, the irony…

saregos says:

Just because you aren’t bright enough to understand what he said doesn’t mean we’re misinterpreting it.

saregos says:

Again with the asshole.  Seriously, learn a little respect.

saregos says:

On a somewhat more intelligent note, Blizzard actually subscribes more to the DLC model than the DRM model.  They regularly produce content updates and the like, and that is a large contributor to the fact less people pirate their game.  Also, a very large part of WoW is the social interaction, which again provides a sort of check on piracy:  Since you need to have a private server, the ability to interact with large numbers of people is lost.

The charging every month aspect of WoW is a very minor part of the piracy protection involved in the game, and most of the anti-piracy stuff in the game isn’t punishment for piracy, but rewards for not doing so.  Which is precisely what game publishers *should* do, if they weren’t lazy.

Afirejar says:

Charging every month is in no way meant to be DRM for the game.

Even if it isn’t meant to be protection from piracy (and I don’t really believe, you would be in a position to know that), it still is.

Afirejar says:

And I’m sure, that noone at EA could say anything you couldn’t or wouldn’t misinterpret to suit your preconceived opinion.

Someone suggested sending this comments page to EA. I have another suggestion: Let’s delete the whole page and never again speak of this. The ridiculous amount of rumours, deliberate misinterpretation, word-twisting and misinformation going on here is embarassing.

Afirejar says:

Believe it or not, I actually have SecuROM on my system from another EA game.  I can’t remove it and I believe it has made my DVD player unable to play DVDs.  I sometimes switch between region 1 and region 2 because I watch movies (that I bought legitimately) from England and the US.  The last time I switched regions I believe SecuROM disabled the DVD player simply because I switched regions.  Fortunately I’m going to be getting a new computer soon so it’s not a big deal.  But SecuROM is not some harmless program that merely protects the manufacturer from piracy – it’s a harmful virus that can disable parts of your computer even if you’re NOT engaging in any illegal activity.

Yeah right. You blame every problem your PC has on Securom, without even the tiniest shred of evidence, but the EA guy is the moron. Gotta love the internets.

Nekowolf says:

One problem though. He’s CEO. That’s pretty much the highest you can get, or at least one of the highest. For the most part, there is no one higher, at least with the interested to explain it to him.

Briggs says:

XKCD had a great comic on DRM the other day. It highlights part of the whole DRM struggle perfectly.

Basically, it asks the question "What happens when the company who made your legally purchased game stops supporting the DRM for it?"

This eventually happens with everything. So will those who DID purchase Spore simply be up a creek when SecuROM goes the way of the dino?

Baruch_S says:

Didn’t you see? The other half of the protestors were idiots who didn’t understand what they were protesting. Where does that leave those of us who protested because we knew what the DRM was?

I also love his comment about being in business for free without the "protection" DRM supposedly offers. Is Stardock in business for free? Nope. Case closed.

Overcast says:

yeah… heheh

"I’m guessing that half of them were pirates,"

What about the other half then? They were POTENTIAL customers you pissed off. Take that to your investors – tell them out of ‘x’ number half were pirates and the other half were potential customers you chased away with DRM.

Now tell them the ‘pirates’ have cracked copies out there they are playing. You wouldn’t have made a dime from them anyway.

But what of the other half?

Overcast says:

Yes, Warcraft III’s DRM was close to non-existant. A CD check I suppose, I got a NO-CD ‘patch’ for it long ago, but I own it and the expansion. I was happy to run out and buy Warcraft III when it first came out. Unlike my SIMS2 CD’s – my Warcraft CD is in perfect conditition. It’s been used maybe twice. Heck, I reload my PC, double click on War3.exe and it runs – UNLIKE MOST EA GAMES.

Hey Mr. Genius CEO – when Starcraft 2 comes out, I will walk right past all of the EA games, (I don’t care WHAT games EA has out) and go right to Starcraft 2, and purchase it without a second thought at all, if I don’t pre-order it. Blizzard’s NEVER had DRM that required me to re-install the game or troubleshoot issues *with the DRM itself*. So I won’t even bat an eye at buying a Blizzard game.

I’m still majorly on the fence as to buying the SIMS2 expansion. Not because of Money, Not because of Content, but because I don’t want to have to deal with Hassles on the Install.

Overcast says:

Yeah – could you imagine a lock or a passport that would disable itself and require you to call customer service to gain access to? How ‘useful’ would that be?

I bet it would be a popular item indeed!!

sirdarkat says:

Didn’t pirate Spore, Didn’t buy Spore but by the above statement I must be an idiot since I just obviously don’t get it.  But that’s ok since I am an idiot I won’t buy Dead Space because obviously the game is to beyond me, nor will I buy Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins, Crysis, or any other game Ea produces from now on.  After all I don’t want you to waste your hard earned work on me.  Maybe when after you are sued into oblivion for infriging another persons work and for isntalling SecuRom on my machine without my permission (thanks BioShock) you may realize that the idiot is the person looking back at you in the mirror.

axiomatic says:

I have to agree with the rest of you. Riccitiello is utterly clueless about DRM. I’ve actually given up on EA games at this point. When they come to their senses again and stop punishing their paying customers I may consider handing them some money again. Until that day though, there are pleanty of game developers like Bethedsa and Stardock who "get it" and will also get my money.

Overcast says:

Yeah, I’m sure there are craked copies out there already. Personally, it’s not a game I’m interested in at all. I suspect the ‘pirates’ he speaks of are playing the game minus any DRM put in there.

It’s true – I have purchased the Sim2, along with almost all of the expansions. I bought Bon Voyage, but never played it up until this last week – and I bought it at release. Why? because the stupid DRM that the SIMS2 uses, required me to re-install the whole game. At that point, I didn’t feel like going through the 15 or so CD’s I had to reinstall it and just put it on the shelf for months.

I really don’t think I’ll buy the new expansion – not because of lack of interest by any means, but I don’t feel like dealing with the hassles of re-installing it. It’s working now, and I’ll leave well enough alone.

The hassles of dealing with DRM-laden games can be just as bad as the hassles of dealing with ‘pirated’ software. I am PAYING for the ease of use FIRST AND FOREMOST, second to that, I just don’t like running cracked junk. Third, I don’t really have an issue paying for products I use. But DRM kills the ‘ease of use’ part of it all.

All the new DRM is doing, is giving the ‘crackers’ and ‘pirates’ more experience busting EA’s code. Wasn’t DeCSS a good enough example?

Vash-HT says:

That’s isn’t even a form of DRM to begin with, WoW charges for updates, server maintenence and further support for the game. Charging every month is in no way meant to be DRM for the game.

Krono says:

No, I’m not a pirate, nor do I "not understand". I voted with my wallet and refused to buy Spore because of the DRM. If your DRM was a lock, it’d be a broken lock that made it more difficult for me to get into my house, but let anyone that cared to easily jigger the lock open. And that broke the door so that even if I replaced the lock people could still get in unless I replaced the door and the door frame.

Father Time says:

Why yes the pirates do take that as a challenge, and being the first to crack the DRM is considered bragging rights amongst them.

No really I was browsing a kinda sorta piratey TV show site (twas looking for old bugs bunny shows, I swear) and I saw them bragging that they got the newest episode of the office pirated to the web 5 minutes after the show finished on the air.

God created alcohol so that the Scottish and the Irish could never take over the world. -Chris ‘Jedi’ Knight

SeanB says:

"There are different ways to do DRM; the most successful is what WoW does. They just charge you by the month"

Yeah, that’s working great. I didn’t pay for wow, and i dont play wow on an official server. Yeah, WOW’s a great model for comparison.

Overcast says:

LOL, how arrogant.

Perhaps he is the one that doesn’t understand.

Understand this EA – there’s a ‘value’ in a product. DRM – particularly draconian DRM, takes away from the value significantly.

So – I’m glad some people bought your product. Others – like myself are wholly uninterested in Spore, even if it was DRM free, it’s not my kind of game. But if it was a game I was interested in; DRM is a perfectly legitimate concern.

You know pal – if I had to replace the lock on my car once I replace the battery three times, or the radio if I replaced the battery three times – guess I would seriously consider NOT going with that brand of lock again.

When I buy something – I want *it* to offer flexibility to fit to MY needs. *I* don’t want to be flexible to meet *your* company’s needs.

Maybe he would like getting a new passport everytime he flys on three different airlines – that’s a personal choice, but not one I would make.

nighstalker160 says:

Wow….just wow.

Keep it up John, all of your statements are discoverable evidence in that Class Action suit going on over this.

Case to back up your statements with evidence?

I have a very simple question:

Exactly how did DRM on Spore stop piracy?

This should be easy if DRM really is effective like you insist.  Come on John, answer the question.

Until then, continue the insults to your consumers, see how far that gets you.

To be a little more analytical John;

The "Pirates" aren’t complaining about the DRM.  Do you know why?  Because they NEVER had to deal with it.  DRM-free Spore was available BEFORE the official release.  Pirates don’t care about DRM because they don’t deal with it, so they don’t complain.  Now CRACKERS (the guys that actually strip the DRM) love DRM because they’re in it for the challenge of cracking.  So the harder you make your DRM the more crackers try breaking it, probably resulting in a net INCREASE in the odds of a game being pirated.  You’re shooting yourself in the foot with this stuff.

So I’ll say it again, Pirates don’t care about DRM and crackers LIKE DRM.

So there goes your "Half are pirates"

Alright, now how about the other half, ya know us ignorant masses.

I would submit that it’s just the opposite.  Your consumer base is now old and sophisticated enough (most of us are at least in our 20s) to understand we’re being screwed.  We’re pissed because we DO understand.   You’re just dealing with ignornant teenagers anymore.  You’ve got customers that are Computer Engineers, Programmers, LAWYERS (you might want to pay attention to that one) etc.

You’ve created a whole class of people who feel wronged by you and who have the expertise to argue their cases legally and who have the expertise to argue it substantively.  Do you really want to be pissing off lawyers and computer programmers?

We do understand John, we understand completely.  And that’s why we’re pissed.

If is you and your company that aren’t getting it.  DRM doesn’t work, it never has, the fact that Spore was leaked, DRM-free before it was even released is proof of that.  The DRM never worked, it didn’t do ANYTHING except piss of legitimate customers who either

1) Downloaded the game for free and DRM-less

2) Like me, refused to purchase the game and will not do so until your company issues an official apology for its callous, insulting, and offensive treatment of its customers and removes the DRM restrictions from Spore (CD-Key’s are fine, even a one-time online activation is fine btw)

GoodRobotUs says:

Same here, haven’t played it, don’t want to play it until they stop treating me like a criminal. This isn’t like a lock on the  door, since I don’t have to go to the Estate Agent and ask them for the key every time I want to get in.

Arlen says:

I am neither a pirate nor a fool; I am perfectly willing to sit with Mr. Riccitiello and debate the merits of DRM.  The only reason that I do not own a copy of Spore right now is because of its draconian DRM.  I will purchase the product the very day that they either remove or disable it, but not until that day.

Murdats says:

Exacly, you can still use your copy of wow if you dont pay the subscription, but you can not really do much with it besides look at the login screen, or maybe run a local server for testing (I am not sure if thats allowed either though)

however, what they are doing is charging a fee for a service, mainly access to their servers. that is not drm, its a subscription based service, just like any other subscription based service, cut off the subscription and you lose the service, but not the product.

AM says:

Three people I know from work bought the game and protested it.  One of those people was directly impaired by the DRM.  I know of at least 3 others, including myself, who protested it and did not buy it.  Nor did we pirate.  We simply won’t buy EA’s products any more until they knock this crap off.

Well, actually, I’ll buy their products still.  Used console versions, so they never see a dime, but I still have my fun.

DCOW says:

Once again, more proof that abandoning EA was the best choice ever.

if they ever join up with blizzardvision I’ll be cancelling my WoW account. because I’ll be damned if I pay them anything.

ijed says:

If DRM was only affecting pirates then why did EA loosen up it’s controls from 3 installs to 5?  To give the pirates a sporting chance?

It’s a shame I’ll miss Dead Space, but there’s plenty of other good games out there.

Michael Chandra says:

Voted with their wallets my ass. Most people ain’t got a clue what’s going on about. Sure, some people know and think it’s not that big a deal, and some think it’s a big deal, but claiming people voted with their cash is rubbish. He actually expects everyone who buys the game to know of the DRM-controversy? Wasn’t part of the controversy due to them not telling about it?

Spartan says:

Me too. PLEASE, PLEASE talk to me as one of the community organizers for the protest. Hell I’ll even do it on national TV, and on Fox so you are in your element. I REALLY, REALLY want to get it – honestly…

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

Demontestament says:

"I’m guessing that half of them were pirates, and the other half were people caught up in something that they didn’t understand."

So those who oppose DRM are either pirates or idiots running with the crowd? Wow my douche meter just exploded after reading his comments.

"If I’d had a chance to have a conversation with them, they’d have gotten it… There are different ways to do DRM"

Once again, douche readings are off the chart. The one way to go about DRM is the one most gamers prefer, and that is not doing DRM at all. Pirates are not stopped by it, DRM only fucks up experiences with normal customers who’s opinions soon fall into the "EA is a douche bag company who does not care about it’s customers, only about the money they give them."

smblion says:

He’s partially right, this is a problem of understanding. But he’s got the players all wrong. The problem is, he doesn’t understand his customers, he doesn’t understand the pirates, and he doesn’t understand this industry.

All this guy understands is cash.

GoodRobotUs says:

I’m sure EA would just love for people to be giving them money every month to play their games. The fact he considers this the ‘best’ way whilst talking about non-MMORPG’s exposes his true motivation quite clearly to be honest.

Bennett Beeny says:

"There are different ways to do DRM; the most successful is what WoW does. They just charge you by the month."

That is not DRM, John.  That’s a subscription to an online game.  If you want to make a subscription game, go right ahead, but don’t make a game and market it as a one-time sale game when it’s merely a long-term rental.

jmcc says:

"If I’d had a chance to have a conversation with them, they’d have gotten it…"

I’m offering publicly to have a conversation with you on the matter, John. I would just love the opportunity.

Geoff says:

Damn it EA!  Every time I get close to liking you again because of games like Dead Space, you turn around and say stupid sh*t like this!

It’s like having a nympho girlfriend that’s a demon in the sack but is also a total, hate-filled b*tch any other time!

Pirates don’t protest your DRM, they laugh at it.  From what I understand of the pirate sub-culture they take stuff like SecuROM as a challenge, a game unto itself.  Every time a company goes "Hey, we have this DRM in there to prevent pirates!" said pirates go "Oh, really now?" (more like "O RLY?") and they begin to work on ways to get past it.

I really hope they lose that lawsuite over SecuROM.  Maybe it’ll be a wake-up call.  And Steam is a much better example of a great way DRM works, too.  I only bought Crysis because it was a Steam.  Wouldn’t have wanted to touch the box version with a ten-foot pool.

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

Mnementh2230 says:

I don’t know why industry types can’t understand this:  DRM doesn’t stop anyone.  It never has, and it never will.  It only gets in the way and inconveniences the NON-pirates.  The SHITTY DRM on Spore is the reason I didn’t buy it, and never will.

Bennett Beeny says:

I’m not a pirate – I’ve never pirated anything in my life (as I said when I protested Spore on Amazon), neither am I clueless about DRM.  I’m just a potential customer who was disappointed that Spore was going to be using a DRM that adversely affects what I see as my rights as a customer.  When I buy a bicycle, it doesn’t tell me how many trips I can take before I have to buy another bike.  I don’t expect a bike to be manufactured so that it breaks down after, say 300 trips and after that I have to buy a new bike or plead with the manufacturer to let me have another 100 trips.  That’s ridiculous, but that’s what EA is doing with Spore.

EA’s SecuROM DRM is not anti-piracy – it’s 100% anti-customer and intended to increase profits by wringing every last dollar from the customer’s pocket.

I still have resisted Spore and now the hype has died down I don’t think I’ll ever buy it because from what I’ve heard it’s not that good a game anyway.

Cormic says:

I might have gotten Spore.  I might have gotten Crysis and Crysis: Warhead.  However as soon as I found out that they used SecureROM I changed my mind.  I’m not willing to take the chance that their so called DRM would mess my system up.  Most likely I will never be able to get another EA game again if they continue to use SecureROM, which is unfourtante considering how big of a publisher they are.

Kevin says:

I am allowed to make as many copies of keys as I want.  Anyone I want to give my car to can borrow it for as long as I want.  I can travel to any country in the world with my passport.  If cars, houses, and passports were like DRM:

– You could only have 3 different people drive your car.  You would have to call the manufacturer once a week to turn it on for you, so that they know you’re not giving free rides to other people.

– Only 5 people could enter your house, ever.  If you want more than 5 you will have to call the builder and they might grant you a few more people access, but on a case by case basis.  If you accidentally lose your house keys, and the doors are locked, you will have to buy a new house.  As well, if you don’t call in to let them know you are home, they will consider you to be in violation of the agreement and can take your house away.

I both understand DRM and did not pirate Spore (I bought it, in fact, because I’ve been waiting for it for 6 years).  He could talk to me for years, and never EVER convince me that DRM is worth it.  It wastes developers time and energy creating something that has no effect on anyone.

Soulsmith says:

ok after this, I have to make a comment…

ok picture this: how many times have you gone to load a program and had "your system has changed since you last loaded this software do you want to reset your display settings", this is a program that has no DRM on it, imagine what it would be like with a DRM which would consider this a new system or an attempt to circumvent their copyrighting system? or for instance who out there has not flattened windows in the past 12 months? or changed any component in their system, such as RAM, GFX card, hell even sound card for those of us who use a PCI one? Changing any ONE of those items at a time, which most people do, rather than buy a WHOLE new computer in one go, counts as a different system configuration er go its a different system, er go 1 install gone.

I personally do not like the idea of a bit of software being installed alongside 1 game, which then give a 3rd party access, even control over what I want to play/watch on my computer, anyone who is anyone does not want their private items released to the web, I wouldn’t want some asshole I didn’t know poking through pictures of my kids birthdays to see if any of them contravened some idea that everyone who buys the software is a pirate.

This DRM is exactly that, it is almost a direct accusation that anyone who buys the software legitimately, is a software pirate, a criminal who should bend over and prepare to have their entire private life laid bare.

or another analogy would be you climbing into bed, when an EA employee walks into your house and starts looking through your stuff, when you try to get rid of them they hold up some contract which you had no idea you had signed which gave them 100% rights over what you say and do in that house up until you move. When you do move house the removals van shows up missing some of your stuff and the EA guy is stood next to another van with the doors open, you can see your stuff inside, but you can’t touch it untill you sign another contract with the new address on it, or say you don’t move for a long while, then what happens? no new contract for access to stuff you paid for years ago, its not yours anymore its gone.

to be honest paying £30 for essentially renting a game for a limited period of time is crap, disk checks I’m fine with, you bought the disk, you lose it its your fault. Something delving into the depths of my machine and altering its insides without a big notice on the outside of the box (certain games stores won’t refund a PC game unless its unopened) is essentially immoral, unfair, and unjust.

Override367 says:

Hey Afirejar, how about I just pirate the game instead and not have to put up with the hastle?

You are completely missing the point, someone who pirates the game can put a copy on every computer he owns without issues. If he gets a random crash he doesn’t have to speculate as to whether Securrom is behind it because his copy of spore doesn’t have seccurrom. If his wife wants to play he doesn’t have to buy a second copy of the game (even being unable to use both copies at once is fine, but not at all?)

The bottom line is that the pirate is playing a superior product than the Consumer. This is the 800 pound gorilla that the banner wavers of DRM continue to miss. The market then leads to more pirates than consumers, because pirates do not get the raw deal that consumers get. The pirate will never have to call EA to activate the copy of his game, and as there become more pirates there become more intricate networks of user to user support amongst pirates, surpassing that of the game’s own support.

It is simple, the reason people buy bottled water is because it is more convenient and superior to tap water. What we have in the pc gaming space is people selling tap water and handing out bottled water for free.

DeepThorn says:

Criterion still seperate, DICE still mostly seperate, BioWare and Pandemic will disappear for the Maxis brand does.

I am saying they are seperate because EA doesn’t mess with their management that much.  The Maxis team has been switch over to almost all EA employees with extremely few original Maxis staff left.  May it be they were put on other projects in the company, fired, or quit, they are not the ones making the Maxis games anymore.  Game design was highly influenced by EA for The Sims where they left out many features that were put into Sims 2 so they could rake in more cash in the long haul.  They were also going to include 2 expansion packs in the original Sims 2 base game, but EA wanted to split it up to make more money.

Now with the new team leader or whatever they are calling it for the Sims 3, there is only a few people that were from The Sims that are still on the staff.  Though it isn’t uncommon for staff to quit or get fired, Maxis has kept the same teams on these projects for a pretty long time, even Sim City games, and now EA is having other companies make Sim games so they can pull in the money from the franchise, while raping the brand of it’s quality.  With only Wright left of the original team, it doesn’t look too unlikely that he may only make 1 more game before he is done poping out big titles.

I have no problem with EA publishing games made by these developement teams though, it is EA having a huge say in how the games are made, switching out members of the team, and raping brand names with games like SimAnimals and SimCity Societies.  Making below par games with a high ranking brand name, when the original dev. teams would easily be able to come up with better games, and live up to the brand quality.

We all know of the companies EA has distroyed that no longer exist at all, and even though EA likes to act like they always do the right thing, and are great at what they do.  Statistics (game reviews/ratings) show that EA makes the worst games in the industry in relation to rival companies like Activision, just EA buys out and uses up the branding of once great companies.  Their average review screw every year has gone down every year since 2004 as well, at least from 2000-2004 they stayed about the same, even though still the lowest given their ranking in the industry.

shady8x says:

1. There are a lot of people who are never hurt by DRM or at least don’t think the DRM is responsible… There is also no DRM that has ever protected games from being up on torrents soon after or before release…

And sometimes DRM really hurts you, then you notice…

2. There is also the fact that Crysis was made for about 5%-10% of the market… since only this small amount of people could actually run the game on their pc… and like you said, even though the game did badly nobody got fired, sounds like they had a convincing reason for why the game did badly… so there is a possibility that piracy actually saved jobs in that case…

3. Xbox 2012 in honor of the world ending…

4. go to google

type in: fallout 3 torrent

that is all you need to do…

the first choice has a lot of torrents some have 300 seeders… that is a problem since most pirates don’t even know that it has been released already… once they find out in a few weeks, well there will be more seeders and more than just a thousand leechers…

5. Except this shows that this is already a very big problem not some time down the line but now…

6. Legality depends on which country you are in…

aslo there are levels to a law.

For example: Here is a scale

downloading/ pirating

selling pirated versions/stealing

uploading/ pirating industrial sabotage

armed roberry

I don’t think jaywalking is a major crime… This also explains why downloaders haven’t been sued yet(unless I missed something) while uploaders well, !possible! uploaders have…

shady8x says:

I didn’t say piracy wasn’t about the money, most of the time it is.

Example:a person can’t get their parent to give them money for a game and pirates it cause it is the ONLY way they are ever going to play it…

However I was talking about -customers- becoming pirates not piracy in general… and most -customers- become pirates because they are abused by companies later they pirate to save money sure, but they are forced to learn to pirate in the first place by the companies that abused them… if they weren’t forced to learn then most of them wouldn’t have become pirates…

Also I said that some are lying but from my own personal experiences I would say that most aren’t also I know these people and most of them wouldn’t lie…

as for stories being unlikely:

Starforce once killed my computer… after that I started downloading pirated versions of all starforce games that I bought…

I once purchased a game box with no discs inside… when I run back to exchange for box with discs, the manager told me that because I probably stole the discs and didn’t give me a refund or exchange for same product or anything…(last time I ever went to bestbuy) i called the company that made the game and they sent me "not for ditribution" discs about 3 or 4 months later… Obviously I had pirated and finished the game by then…

I once broke a disc and no one sold that game anymore… only place to get it was from pirates….

I once bought a game that only run on the most powerfull computer available. Unfortunatly the ‘protection’ scheme didn’t work with sata drive which are in most new computers, so I couldn’t play without finding a bypass that pirates had been using for a while…

All of these are true and I am one person… though I wouldn’t consider any of those piracy since I purchased all those games first…

insanejedi says:

1. Well okay, the infamy of Starforce is evident. But just me personally, I have had no problem with any DRM schemes. Take that as you will.

2. It seriously does not matter. If Crytek loses money, people are let go (which I don’t think is what happened). Realistically, the employees and the bosses dosen’t just hold people because of what morallity is involved, the hold people beacuse they can afford to, and they let go of people because they can’t. However that is my theory, Cryteks manager can be really cool and just hold people regardless since they are a victom of piracy. And I highly doubt they made a terrible game as their game scored over 90% on metacritic. Which in fact is what some companies use to give bonuses to their employees.

3. I have had no idea of this. Okay fine, but the knowledge of this is pretty dull that it doesn’t matter if you can or cannot do it by software. Maybe down the line this will become a huge problem but by then we will have the xbox 720 and that might change. It could very well explain why piracy never really happens on the PS3.

4. Well I just ran a quick search on Bit Che and all i got was Fallout 3 10 leechers torrents.

5.  see 3

6. It’s still illegal any way you spin it. and I remember you said "isin’t" must be your typo.

insanejedi says:

Well we don’t know that for sure but measure the worst case scenario to the best case. The worst case is if it takes every single part of your computer and makes sure that you have it all, DVD drive, Mother board, the works. And if you replace any of those you would use up your install. The best case is that all it does is reads your computer for something like E.Zack Windows XP Service Pack 2 and your computer registary serial number. Which do you think is more probable and more easier for EA to do? Read every single spec of your computer, or simply read your computer OS version registary and go with that?

You mean you go through more than 3-4 computers every 12 years? To me it makes sense since the turn of the console generations represent when you should upgrade. Last gen it was you got a pentium 4 2.4 to 3.0 processer, 512 ram, and the video card of your choice somewhere beyond 5700. And incremental upgrades as you go bosting from 512 to 1 gig, and 5700 to 6800. Thats what you usually do, is you get the most powerful CPU as CPU specs for games change ever so slowly, plus exchanging CPU’s would also mean exchanging the motherboard, which at that point you might as well buy another computer. It’s better just to buy say a quad core or even a dual core 2.8 and go with changes to the graphics cards, going SLI, and other modular addon parts to last you through the generations. It’s not unreasonable to go with the same computer you had for 4 years because untill the developers have to deal with the next generation of consoles, the specs for your computer should stay relative to the system requirements of most games comming out of that era, even for a gamer you just upgrade as you go.

By what you mean of playing games from the 90s, at that point the DRM will have been most likely unlocked. If anything SecurROM is more short term than anything else. EA is not that stupid, they are run by human beings like you and I, and there is definatly people aware of this issue, and thinking about this issue like you and I are. Companies are not stupid. People are stupid. People do dumb things, and it reflects poorly on the company. EA has learned this lesson before, and it seems that they are learning their mistakes, and I can sympithize with them and Riccotello that he genuenly dislikes DRM, but he knows that the alternatives are just as non-viable as SecurROM.  Maybe one day we can have a DRM system that fits more properly and also secures the casual piracy market.

insanejedi says:

Your knowledge of EA proves that you have massivly misunderstood EA for a very long time or you are streaching facts to make your point. Criterion is an owned subidary of EA bought out for 40 million euro, mostly for RenderWare technology. DICE is also an owned division of EA. Same with Bioware, and Pandemic. Like it or not, they are pretty much permentaly in EA’s pockets, and every game from them for now on, will be EA published.

DeepThorn says:

First time I did was because the game was so old that it was the only way I could find it.
    Second time, there was no demo.
    Third time, I owned all of the expansion packs except for 2, and I figured they got enough of my money.

After that the game was really old again, expansion pack I couldnt find anywhere (black and white 2 expansion pack, and I would happily but the expasion pack if I found it in a store or donate the money), then I was curious how easy it actually was to burn a game for a console and broke the disc later because the game sucked…  then again no demo so I downloaded it illegally and then flushed the computer 2 weeks later since it hadn’t been flushed for a year.

Oh yeah, got a DVD version of a game once as a present but didnt have a DVD ROM, so I downloaded it illegally but used the key from the game I had.

Other than the old games and expansion packs, I never kept them longer than a month, or baught it legally after playing the illegal version as if it was a demo…

Afirejar says:

If you can afford multiple computers, chances are, you can afford a phone call as well. You should have the time for the call, too, since you also had the time to complain about having to make it (which probably took more time than the call itself, should you actually ever run into the hypothetical problem you’re preemptively complaining about).

Unruly says:

So you’re telling me that in order for other members of my family to be able to play a game that I bought, they have to buy it themselves? So I guess that when I buy a DVD I’m the only person thats allowed to watch it as well and I’m supposed to shield the screen from anyone else looking at it? Its essentially the same thing.

And what about people like myself, who personally own multiple computers. I have my desktop for when I’m at home and a laptop for breaks between classes and any time I go out of town. Right there that’s 2 of my installs. And god forbid that I buy a new computer once every 2 or 3 years.

shady8x says:

Well it made my dvd drive not work right and forced reboots about every 10 minutes after startup…

Had to reformat the thing… without a working drive… had to use an external one…

Worked fine after that…

DRM never likes custom built computers… I guess there is a remote possibility that starforce wasn’t responsible, but the PC worked fine before I installed SF, had the problems I mentioned after the install and after I reformatted PC worked fine so it wasn’t a hardware issue… so pretty sure SF was the reason…

That was when I first learned what DRM was… Legal Malware…

Afirejar says:

Preventing illegal copies for your friends, kids and girlfriends isn’t some weird unintended problem, it’s the point.

Afirejar says:

1. On DRM:

Starforce KILLED a computer of mine once. Does that qualify?

I don’t see, how it could possibly do that. Seriously, how did it actually do that on a technical level?

Afirejar says:

Yeah right. It’s never about the money, and it’s really, really improbable, that 99% of horror stories told by pirates are just half-assed excuses, solely there to not make them look like the criminals they are. Stop being that naive.

DeepThorn says:

For the shuttle compairison it is for taking smart people and well paid hard workers to get something working and implimented.  If NASA can do what they do with that money, EA can get consumers, developers, and programmers together to figure out a solution that everyone will be happy with, because SecuROM is not going to cut it.

Groups like Critron has released good things for free, but they are not even fully a part of EA.  Well… they are but are not.  They are still ran seperately in most ways.  While Maxis on the other hand is fully under EA in every way.  Their free content sucks with a capital SUCK. I think developement teams should give things out for free, because it means they care about their consumers.  Dont get Burnout and Crysis developers mixed in with EA though.  EA lets them run around free, while Maxis like many other developers that are not a part, disappearing or disappeared into EA are raped of their value.

The maps from Gears of War were great, you can pay if you wish or wait 3 months.  I can live with that…  I can even live with the, if you buy it from here this is for you to download extented content usable once, then make it free to all after 9 months so that people playing a used version can obtain it too.  I just don’t like people getting screwed, and I wouldnt doubt that EA will forget to release the patch to let you keep playing Spore after they turn off their servers.

DeepThorn says:

Okay, what if you reformat your hard drive?
    Hard drive crashes and you install a new one?
    Change out another vital system part (IE Motherboard)?

From what I know all 3 of those would make it register as another install.

Then if you have 2 laptops (yours and your g/f, b/f, wife, husband, or child), and Desktop?  Then one laptop goes out and you get a new one, and your desktop goes out and you get a new one?  (Possible for my household since we have 2 computers over 4 years of age.)

Within 12 years I will have went through 10 computers between laptops and desktops… maybe more.

E. Zachary Knight says:

You are correct, as long as the configuration of your computer never changes. The Spore DRM has not been thoroughly tested for altering the configuration of your computer. At least not publicly. So why don’t you try changing your RAM or DVD drive and see what happens.

Also, 3 computers in 12 years? You’re kidding right? That would mean the majority of people buy a new computer every 4 years which also means that most of those people probably don’t have the hardware to play the game in the first place. But of course very few people buy a new computer more often than a couple of years. But quite a few of those people buy upgrades quite often and that could cause problems.

But personally, I still play games from the mid 90s on my PC. If these DRM schemes existed back then, I would be unable to play them. Next is the problem of EA not patching out the DRM. Many companies don’t do that before turning off the activation servers or going out of business. So what then? You’re screwed.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

DeepThorn says:

You say that so much better than I do…  My whole point was missed that pirates will always be there and will always pirate no matter how much protection you make, and if the consumer gets that collateral damage, they will join the pirates or not buy it at all to say screw you to places like EA.

So no one wins, even the people that stay as consumers…  If they would not have had DRM, there would have been more game sales, including me buying the game instead of just having the free creature editor.   I would not buy the game even if they took it off now unless they added something to make it worth my while. (Spore without DRM, now including the first 3 expansion packs for $49.99… That would do it…)

Wasn’t this the guy that called all of the consumers dumbasses for not understanding how big of a problem piracy is? or was that another EA Exec?

shady8x says:

1. On DRM:

Starforce KILLED a computer of mine once. Does that qualify?

When I bought The Witcher, it’s copy protection kept it from playing on my new computer and it’s insane minimal reqs kept me from playing it on my old computer…

oh and I was referring to your statement that a perfect DRM would block p2p…

2. On Crysis:

I agree that it is my failing for not trying it before buying… Just saying that there might be a reason why it didn’t do well other then piracy…and in that case piracy actually saved the jobs of all those people that made a terrible game because they had a scapegoat…

3. On Xbox chipping:(no chip used or needed)

A friend of mine downloaded this program, put it on a thumb drive, put that into his Xbox and he was done ‘modding’ the Xbox, it took him a very very short amount of time… less then usually takes him to download a single game for pc… so not so hard, people just don’t know about it because console game makers aren’t telling everybody about it every chance they get… unlike the PC game makers…

4. On amount of downloads of fallout:

The reason fallout 3 isn’t pirated as much yet is because it is 3 weeks from launching… most pirating will occur after the game is out… not a lot of people even know it is out already… also took me about 2 minutes to find this torrent 297 seeder(s) and 921 leecher(s). Completed 5130 time(s) it was only added two days ago also…

5. on Xbox pirating:

It is also not an isolated incident, for example Saints Row 2 came out the other day, the Xbox version has been around for a while and the PC version still can’t be found… there are many others, just search for torrents of games about to be released and you will see that this is a major problem…

Ok so you can’t play a single player game on live… interesting, I guess that is bad?!? Though it is a single player game so most wouldn’t give a damn about live…

Most can’t play multiplayer games with games pirated on PCs either…

6. Pirating vs. stealing vs. industrial sabotage:

Also Pirating is not stealing, pirating makes a copy, stealing takes the original…

I didn’t say it wasn’t wrong, I said it is wrong.

Uploaders are committing industrial sabotage

Downloaders are pirating not stealing (a much much lesser crime about equal to littering though immoral)

People selling pirated copies are stealing because they are actually stealing EA’s money…

While most downloaders wouldn’t have bought the game if they couldn’t steal and therefore deprive EA of NOTHING other than perhaps pride… though obviously a significant portion of them would have (that portion is a MINORITY) and what they do is morally wrong.

There are also downloaders that pirate the games they own because installing a pirated copy is safer then isntalling the original. Also DRM slows gameplay and causes bugs/crashes so they want the superior product. It is completly moral and justifyable for them to do this and it is immoral to punish them for this activity. These people are also a minority but for games like spore they seem to be greater than the amount of people that would have bought the game but didn’t because of pirating.

insanejedi says:

You know what? I can’t relate to that, because I have never been backhanded by EA. And the security measures of SecurROM has probebly been the biggest spread of misinformation i’ve ever seen on the internet in a long time. Did you know that you can install Spore all day long forever on the same machine with the same key as it is only limited to 3 SEPERATE computers. not 3 installs. So infact, the problem comes down to changing out your computers, which 3 computers would be like 12 years, by that time SecurROM measure probebly would have been lifted by then.

shady8x says:

I agree with your first paragraph for the most part.

There certainly are pirates around before customers are abused but many/most pirates become pirates after they are abused.

I know a lot of people that pirate… oddly all of them have some horror story about buying things that first got them into pirating… maybe some are lying about having one but certainly not most… By the way I also have horror stories about purchases I once made though I simply chose to not buy games from companies that have similar practices as the ones involved with my horror stories… oh and those horror stories are the reason I learned to pirate even though I chose not to, after deciding it was wrong. For most people though, once they learn how to do it, they do it often…

Second paragraph:

You are telling me that a software issue should be solved politically? WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!

How are those moral problems in any way related to technological issues? Like space shuttle and copy protection!??!?!?

E. Zachary Knight says:

Let me place this into another analogy for you since you don’t understand the lock one. Say you own a product that is for sale. So in order to prevent shop lifters from stealing your product, you implement a policy that goes as follows:

Person walks in and looks at your product. The person picks up the product and brings it to the counter to pay. You backhand them as hard as you can and yell, "Don’t Steal My Product!" You then proceed to sell the product to the customer and they leave. But shoplifters don’t bring the product to the counter. They just take it and leave. They don’t get backhanded and don’t get yelled at. But they still ahve the product.

That is what EA has done. They are backhanding and yelling at the people buying the buying the game while pirates get off scott free.

The only thing EA is accomplishing with this policy is making legitimate consumers not enjoy their experience buying from them and they eventually will either a)stop buying EA products or b) start stealing EA products.

Sure they have the right to protect their IP, but is it right for their customers to be collateral damage?

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

insanejedi says:

Is there any evidence that it Blocks P2P programs? I mean you hear people screaming about it in message boards but I have never encoutered a problem with any DRM programs even Starforce for that manner. Have any of you honostly expereinced any problems with DRM personally?

And for Crysis? You bought it, thats your failing if you found out it was a bad game. It’s not EA’s fault that you bought the game and didin’t like it. And yes, they put it because they feel it’s nesessary none the less even if it doesn’t work because I imagine the people at Crytek feel really bad about this.

Do you know the crazy amounts of thing that Microsoft monitors on your 360? If you want to play pirated games on your 360 you would have to never reach live ever. They read the electrical signals, disc speed, all this stuff and if you get caught, your banned immediatly. And I have no idea how you firmware or mod a 360 to play pirated games, and if you see the Fallout 3 leak (which by the way was probebly an exception to PC being easier to pirate, this most likely happened because someone in bethesda had the code and sold it off and it was only the 360 version.) The leechers there are about 10-8 people? Not a whole lot meaning that people dont even try. Compare that to searching up Crysis and still seeing the number of leechers into the hundreds every day.

And yes Pirating is stealing. You are taking a peice of property from someone without a license to do so, or any agreement to do so. Why it doesn’t feel wrong is because it is not on the basis of scarcity, where you would feel bad if you stole food from some family where they have a low income, and why you woulden’t if you stole from something that physically does not exist, and on top of that, comes from a multi-billion dollar company as EA.

insanejedi says:

What? Where are you basing this from? Hackers and Pirates are not Pirates till they start being abused by stuff like DRM? What? How do you know there are 250 000 people if EA took it off will run off to the nearest Gamestop to buy Spore? And as I said the DRM is not for the hardcore hackers but for the casual pirates who go by their freinds houses and install it on their computers. Piracy is more than torrent internet sites, Piracy is also the shady burnt copies of SAW at China town and 50 in one Nintendo DS games. And the comparson that Riccotello makes between Car locks and DRM is the reason that they need security because they very well know their game can be stolen. The lock is not for you but for them. I’m pretty sure they know that this measure is not going to beat the master theifs of the system, but it’s there so no one can wander in and steal it (casual piracy).

And launching a space shuttle in comparason to solving DRM? Launching a space shuttle is a figure of mathamatical problems, and scientific problems all fit into an equation of speed+materials+measures+time+variables. DRM is not an issue that you can throw money at and have it solved. DRM is a logistical and even political issue that can only be solved through evaluating the choices and which move to take. We can fly to mars and colonize it if we have the right amount of money, but no amount of money will ever solve issues such as Stem Cells, Abortion, Gun Control, or Same Sex marraige. DRM is one of these issues you can’t just throw money at and the problem will go away.

And EA has been releasing stuff for free. I find it ironic that people say that somehow people are spinning the way EA deals with the used games problem a bad thing. EA deals with the used games problem by releasing stuff for free and supporting their games after release. Bad Company and Burnout Paradise had big updates that could have passed for DLC completly for free, and that is what stops people from trading in their games. They have also been releasing games like Red Alert 1 for free. I know that this limits only really to the console sides of things, but the sucess EA has been having with Burnout Paradise will only trickle down into this method of support into future games.

shady8x says:

I actually agree that EA needs to protect its games from casual pirates. I just think that DRM is like building the Great Wall of China today… it is impressive, it will deter some but most will fly over it on a plane… The people it will really hurt are the economies of the towns on both sides… as in people with legitimize reasons for crossing the place where there is now a wall…

I have 3 issues with your post.

1. If you are installing a game than you have either bought or stole it already, what in the blue hell does blocking p2p programs get you? This is nothing more than thank you for installing our game as punishment for doing so you will not have access to certain programs if they are on your computer and some don’t have illegal uses but look similar enough so we will break those as well, I mean we don’t have the resources to make sure that we don’t break your computer when trying to control how you use it…

2. I agree that DRM is a pride issue, because a company doesn’t want to admit that some teen in his mom’s basement beat this multibillion dollar corporation they are going to hit every one of they’re customers over the head with a brick.

My issue is, why in the hell do you not have a problem with this?!?!?!? It isn’t about security, it is about PRIDE, so how is it justified???

as for Crysis, I played it for 15 minutes before trying to sell it on eBay…I really wish that I had pirated it because trying to get rid of it was time out of my life that I will never get back (yes I thought it was a bad game) and if that game had the craziest DRM ever, it still would have been pirated(search for expansion torrent online to see poof of this statement) so what is your point? More pride?

3. As for Xbox-360, you do realize that you don’t need a mod chip to unlock it right? Just a firmware update…

Also in recent years PC games that launch on the same day as Xbox-360 games get pirated after the xbox-360 games. As in: it is simpler to pirate Xbox 360 games than ANY pc games, even PC games like FALLOUT 3 that do NOT HAVE ANY DRM…

By the way, I don’t use p2p and when I hear my friends talk about using it, I always tell them not to…

Pirating isn’t stealing but it is wrong. I just hope that game companies stop encouraging piracy by putting malware into the legal versions of their products…(Anyone remember how sony used to put rootkits on its cds?)

DeepThorn says:

There is one option that would be perfect IMO, you have 3 options, CD Key, DRM, download from online and it ping their server every time you start up the game.

I can rationalize partly with them, but the real piracy statistics are not that high.  The old statistics from 15 years ago are decently high, but there were few consumers other than hackers then, while today there are many consumers that are in no way hackers or pirates unless they start being abused.

There are game developers out there that have NO DRM at all.  They making lower end games that anyone can play on their computer if they can run StarCraft, and they don’t target the audience piracy is a part of typically.

The hackers already won, they already have the game in their hands and online to play.  Since it is already hacked, the DRM is useless, and they might as well turn it off so the consumers can get the game without SecuROM.  There are at LEAST 250,000 consumers waiting to buy this game when EA drops DRM because they strongly believe that it will happen.  That is a lot of money EA could make pretty fast by taking off SecuROM or creating a tool to remove it easily.

1/3 of Spore players pirated their game.  1/3 of them are not typically pirates, they were driven to piracy because of business practices they are strongly against…

See, DRM is the lock for IP/car dealership, the lock on the car is the game disk/CD key/whatever, the lock on the car is making the car run badly/game crashes, not letting you have more than 3 different people/computer installs in the car ever (i know that it is 5, but only 5 people fit in most cars, and there is a point there), and the dealership has a low jack system on your car that tells them where you have been, how long, and what speeds you are going, and could turn off your car at any moment and take your car away from you, or change things around in your garage that makes it so that only your car and cars like it in there and not a competitors car.

As a game developer do I want my games stolen? Hell no.  Will it happen, I sure hope so, because that means my games are worth stealing honestly, but it is part of life, and it happens.  We have car alarms to warn us about stolen cars and GPS systems that do not interrupt our car’s performance at all.  That is the job of the developers to figure out how to do.  Develop a system that lets the game and computer perform and provide security to their properties.  I am not going to say that it will be easy, but it will have to be done.  John makes between $5 million and $18 million a year.  I am sure that alone is enough to get something figured out.

It cost $450 million per mission to launch a space shuttle, and I know that finding a solution to this problem is far cheaper than that, and all of the publishers need to invest in it together if they want the consumers on their side.  I am not against the concept of DRM, I am against how it is being done.

Hell, I would be willing to be on a board of consumers to approve, disapprove, and come up with ideas and implementation of DRM.  Will it be hacked, of course.  There are amazing hackers out there, and the bigger the challenge you make, the more likely it will be hacked.  The pirates will always get their slice of the pie, but we dont need to be damaging the second hand market for long term income.

I think what EA really needs to do it make some free content for their consumers to make up for the DRM issues.  Will it make them money?  Heck no.  Will it make consumers like them more?  Hell yeah.

Yammo says:

"Everyone gets that we need some level of protection, or we’re going to be in business for free…"

Instead of putting billions of dollars into screwing honest, paying customers, how about securing customers from being suckered into buying full price products that crash, or otherwise is un-usable. (including bad UI or not tested for balance).

Anyone promoting DRM is so far up their ass, that they can’t even see how the customers are being treated. Would you buy a toaster that you could only use 500 times. Would you buy it, if it would stop working if the company went out of business? Ofcourse not.

I do understand why people use pirated programs. It’s a simple equation called the Market. Provide a service(or product) at a price people are willing to pay and you have a deal. It’s as simple as that.

I would never… ever… buy a game that had DRM or Starforce. ( f you read some FAQs you’ll see that they have a tendency to screw the system over… even hardware can be destroyed. (And no, I’m not providing a source. JFGI, ffs.)

Thad says:

"Everyone who disagrees with me is either stupid or dishonest!"  You know, I don’t recall hearing that one on my high school debate team.

Spartan says:

The best motivational poster I have seen in some time.

Nero says:

So you hate DRM too then John. Good to have you on our side! Oh wait. Why do you then still use DRM on your products? Oh well, you are not the one buying it so who cares right?

Also, like people have said, why would a pirate complain about the DRM when they have no DRM to worry about? It’s your potential customers that are complaining, idiot. I know I won’t buy (or pirate) any game with these kind of silly restrictions. It really doesn’t matter how many times you can install the game etc it’s just that there’s a fucking limit in the first place.

silversnowfox says:

I bought Crysis, I loved it, and still do.  I bought Mass Effect, both for my X-Box 360 and my PC.  I did not buy Spore.  I will not buy Spore, unless they bring it down to budget price and throw in some stuff to really sweeten the pot (maybe another game, some expansions, cake, Belgium?). Mass Effect was the turning point for me.  I showed up for a midnight release party for both copies.  I bought my copy, had some fun, and then went home.  For dedication in buying my second copy of this game, the company that I bought it from, decided that I didn’t deserve to use it (an insult right up there with slapping me across the face).

I installed the game, and then the DRM refused to allow my computer to run it, because I wasn’t connected to the Internet.  Ok, fine.  I waited for the weekend to end, and my Internet to be reconnected.  So, Monday rolls around, and I connect to the Internet.  At which point I was refused entry, and the DRM said that I had already installed my game all of the times it would allow.  So I called them up, 10 Am on a Monday morning, and my day off.  I thought I would have this all sorted out by noon so that I could grab some lunch, play a little Mass Effect, then maybe a little WoW, then go to sleep and wake up early the next day for work.  4 Hours later, I am still on hold.  Another 2, and they finally seemed to remember that I was actually still sitting there.

So I get my game unlocked.  I install, and everything seems great.  However, the next week, my friends surprise me with new equipment for my PC (New motherboard, graphics card, ram, cpu, and case). The works.  Well, I get it all up and running again… only to have Mass Effect slap me around again.  So, again, i spend 3 hours on hold (Not as much time that day, guess that the money pit swimming lessons ended early).  I get verbally pocked and prodded by 4 different employees, each one getting into more and more invasive before I insist on a transfer.  After number 4, I had a loud cursing match with the man on the other end of the line, before hanging up.  I have not played Mass Effect since.

The fact of the matter, is that DRM only does 3 things:

1: Challenge any and all Hackers to break your game. (Say that you have the best of anything, and someone will challenge you).

2: Punish those of us who normally pay for your games. (Don’t try to sprinkle sugar on s**t and call it candy).

3: Push those on the fence toward the side of Pirates.  (Why be punished for paying money?  Why not, instead, not be punished and not pay money?)

Ladies and Gentlemen at EA, I have only one suggestion for you.  It will solve all of your problems.  Fire you CEO (Seriously, tell him to pack his office, and that he needs to be off the premises by the end of the day).  Then, take all that money that you would normally pay him, and put that towards making a DRM that doesn’t punish LEGITIMENT buyers.

Until then ladies and gentlemen,
    Goodnight, and good luck.

"We do not hear debates about teaching whether the holocausts happened or did not in history classes, so why should we even entertain the notion for Intelligent Design?"

Mnementh2230 says:

Here’s my bottom line:  When people have to download cracks/hacks/third party workarounds to get the software that they LEGALLAY BOUGHT to work, the DRM is fucking broken.

Paper-Cut says:

If DRM is a lock, then I’m kicking the fucking door down. I paid for Spore, found out it had DRM, and downloaded the DRM-free version (what you call piracy). If you ask me, that’s fair use.

Why would the pirates be complaining about DRM? I thought they already hacked the game and got past it…

-Remember kids, personal responsibility is for losers! Jack Thompson is still a dick…

CyberSkull says:

So without any sort of data he just dismisses the protests as being from infringers? Ok, let’s say half are from copyright infringers. Of this group, how many did the Spore DRM push to infringement?

Afirejar says:

Aren’t Steam games bound to the Steam account, an account, which, per the Steam subscriber agreement, may not be sold?

AuntySocial says:

I hate having to lock my door too. But locking my door protects my property. What securom is doing is like the maker of my garbage disposal going in my house and changing my locks without my permission, so I can’t get to my stuff. On another thread at the Sims2 site, I calculated that I have spent over $1700 on Sims, Sims2, and a new computer with extras that I had to buy separate (like a video card). Then when I tried to play my dvd rw gives me a message that I do not have the original disc in and I need to insert the original disc. That’s all I had was the original disc. After a month or so of that my computer stopped recognizing my dvd rw. I pulled an old one out of my old computer and luckily (because it is stuck on region 2 dvd) Securom has not been able to kill it too.

If I wanted to play WoW, I would, but I don’t see leveling up just so I can fight the same creatures at level 40 that I fought at level 2. Waste of time. Plus I do not believe in paying rent on a game. If I can’t buy it straight out. I don’t want it. I do not subscribe to any online service (besides my isp) that I have to pay a monthly fee for. I cannot afford it.

If this securom is to prevent pirating why is Spore the most pirated game online? The only ones being thwarted by securom are the legal purchasers of the game. Come see me dude. We can sit down at the dining table with some iced tea and have a long intellectual conversation on it.  Put up or Shut up.

Insanity has its toll. Please have exact change.

TheEggplant says:

So I sent the follow email to johnriccitiell@ea.com ceo@ea.com and support@ea.com.

Doubt it will be read by anyone but it made me feel a little better.

On a related note the physical address for EALA is gone from the EA website.

If I still have it from my snail mail letter over Mass Effect I’ll send this that way as well.

Nothing like running into a wall over and over again to make you feel alive.

"To CEO John Riccitiello

You are an unbelievable son-of-a-bitch. You’ve probably stopped reading now so what comes next doesn’t really matter. Your comments in this Gamasutra.com interview (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20655) are without a doubt the biggest slap in the face you could have thrown at your customers. You know the ones who keep EA is business. I personally did not buy Spore nor did I pirate it. The ridiculous amount of problems I experienced with SecuROM 7 from my LEGALLY purchased copy of Bioshock convinced me to never let this “malware” on my system ever again.

The fact that pirates have a hassle free copy of both these games goes against your assessments.

As far as I’m concerned Spore and for that matter anything that comes from EA since May 2008 deserves all the bad publicity they receive. You should be very aware that it was the inclusion of SecuROM 7 on your games which prompted these outcries not the other way around or any sideways angle you try to look at it.

Understand, your rhetoric is not fooling a large portion of game hobbyists. It is obvious you are attempting to kill the second-hand market. We will not stand for this. You are the enemy of this past-time. We will not suffer you."

SS says:

We know what DRM is really for, to prevent used game sales.  I can stand a system that makes sure you can only use a cd on one computer(like steam).  Having the cd in the drive is a decent enough sacrifice.  However, not letting you get as many installs as you want is stupid.  Heck if I wanna sell or let friends borrow it then it becomes a problem.  AS for John Riccitiello, he is being a cocky bastard that will make sure that all EA titles shall come through GAmefly and not with my money.

HE know’s what DRM is about, it’s about preventing used sales not piracy.  It can’t prevent piracy which is shown by the torrent sites.

Icehawk says:

The part I found personally interesting was the bit about :

WoW has monthly charges because it is a MMORPG, is he claiming that Spore is as well?  Is that what EA is shooting for, charging by the month to play their retail (none massively mutli-player based) games?   BTW I would like to borrow your crystal ball there John that lets them see that half of the people complaining are pirates.  Tell me oh great and wise one, why would pirates protest the DRM on a title they have already hacked?

Oh and news flash for you bubby, Mass Effect (PC) is a bit bigger than Spore so if they were going to pick the highest-profile title… um I think you can figure the rest for yourself.  Go vent and whine elsewhere.  You are making your company look bad…. and with EA that takes work.

shady8x says:

Mr. Alexander half of the dead bodies in your basement are little children…

what is that you say? there are no dead bodies in your basement?

well there aren’t any pirates that had ANY problems with the DRM so my statement has more basis in fact than yours(Mine:0/2 is a # Yours:millions/0 is not)… unless you actually have dead bodies in your basement and more then half aren’t children…

Freyar says:

You wanted to talk to me? One of those people that are dead set against your DRM policies right now, yes? Let’s talk.

First item of business: Activation Limits.

Activation limits are something that I, as a consumer paying full price for the product, will not tolerate. I have not ever enjoyed the feeling of a large axe over my head just waiting to cut my access to the game that I paid for. This is because the game is advertised by EA and other publishers as a purchase of the game (read: not a purchase of the license). I use more than 21 different machines. I work at a Cyber Cafe, where we have a legal executed agreement with EA through iGames. Your activation limits make it unpractical to install your newer software on our systems anymore.

Second item of business: SecuROM

My opinions of SecuROM have been changing over the past couple of months. While I hate it with a passion, I can begrugingly accept it if it were to follow a couple key rules. First, no activation limits. Second, the process UAService7.exe (or any other similar service) would shut down after the game has been completed. Third, it would be uninstalled automatically by the installer when I’m done with your product.

Third item of business: Consume Right to One Archival Backup

Where is my right to my one archival backup? Why do you feel that it is "illegal" (granted the DMCA now creates a conflict of the laws) for me, a person who has paid EA to not protect my investment. $50 is a lot of money (hell, $60 soon) for a middle-class and lower-class American to put out there, especially with PC prices, and console prices.

Fourth item of business: Game Quality

Could you do me a favor, and look into why Need for Speed: Carbon was billed as a full game, instead of an expansion to Need For Speed: Most Wanted please? Seriously, EA had a bout of terrible games coming out last year and the year before, which gave EA it’s reputation for just putting out the same thing every year. Granted this year it looks much better with fresh IPs like Mirror’s Edge, Warhammer Online and such, but again, the game quality needs to go up if EA’s logo will be on it.

Let’s consider SPORE. In 2005 it was a game I was deathly excited for. Procedural animations, procedural attacks, mating, use of weaponry, building designs, and exploration. However the product we have this year in 2008 is best described as watered down. Levels were cut, the procedural stuff was completely removed in exchange for an animation set that makes things look rediculous. That on top of the DRM is why people are reacting like they are. It isn’t what we wanted. It’s a different game with the same name.

As far as the claim that a monthly fee should be charged for access to EA Games, you can bet yourself that it won’t work. Why? Becuase people wouldn’t adapt well to it. We are already fighting the adaptation of invasive DRM, adding the "monthly charge" you are musing about will only compound the problems, and damage the already periously dangerous reputation EA has.

—- There is a limit for both politicians against video games, and video games against politicians. http://www.goteamretard.com

Zen says:

Wow…reminds me of the old "your either with us on everything…or a communist" line of thinking.  Nice to see we don’t learn from our mistakes…we just make them apply to a new problem.

Jeremy Powers aka Zen
    Panama City, Fl.

Cecil475 says:

John Riccitiello Said:

"I’m guessing that half of them were pirates, and the other half were people caught up in something that they didn’t understand. If I’d had a chance to have a conversation with them, they’d have gotten it… There are different ways to do DRM; the most successful is what WoW does. They just charge you by the month."

Before we start, the rant de jour, I would like  to point out the word in the above quote, that is in bold. That is the word ‘guessing‘ That will be the word of the rant. Much like Pee Wee’s Playhouse, but we won’t cheer every time I say it.

Now, Mr. John Riccitiello is guessing that half that are complaining are pirates. That would come to the fact that he does NOT KNOW that half are pirates. I know from reading the complaints on Amazon, that they come from people who have purchaced the copy through legal means, and have installed the game along with the Secu-ROM. These people not have only 3-5 installs to work with before having calling and begging and then purchasing more, but the DRM on their computers disable drives and wreck havock on them. The ones getting the pirated copies don’t have the said DRM problem. They arn’t putting something ‘extra’ on their system that hijacks it. Even if ‘half are pirates’ then I’ll be ‘guessing‘ half of those pirates are downloading it becuase they don’t want that crap on their computers. It seems the ones who are buying this with their hard earned money get treated like criminals, and some have to go by other means to get the stupid thing to install or even play.

Now, look at the phrase in the quote that is in italiacs. ‘If I’d had a chance to have a conversation with them, they’d have gotten it…’

Please, Mr.John Riccitiello, By ALL MEANS, Do explain.

My Aunt is one of THE biggest Sim’s fans I know. She bought them all The regular Sims. Sims 2, and ALL of the expansion packs, and thanks to the DRM, she has to uninstall and reinstall The Sims 2 and various expansion packs over a total of a hundred times. The DRM installed with it killed her DVD-RW Drive. I got my Secu-Rom problems through the PC version of GTA: San Andereas. I’m willing to BET you that the upcomming GTAIV for the PC will be the same way. The same DRM as SPORE, if not an upgraded copy that does EVEN MORE DAMAGE! This is why I am not a PC gamer.

Now, as far as know, the compareson to the DRM that Blizzard uses for World of Warcraft, you can install and uninstall it without any install limits. I do not know if it comes with Secru-rom, If any do please let me know. Also, World of Warcraft, while has no install limits, you need a subscription to play. SPORE, to my knowlage is not a suscribe to play game, therefore cannot be compared

As far as explaining, leave me and my Aunt a number, and we’ll give you a call. Make us understand.

– Warren Lewis

PeterWDAwson says:

My gripe is the 3-install limit. To get more you have to contact the company, and even then its been fairly limited. Now then, let me explain why 3 installs is annoying to me, using a certain EA game itself as an example: I bought Mass Effect for the PC since I don’t own a 360 as I’m not a fan of the 360 controller style (possibly due to years of using the PS controller, I’ll admit). Bear in mind I’m not bashing the console for hardware issues or anything, that’s not my point. I tried to install Mass Effect on my PC. I needed to reinstall. That’s 2 installs down. Now, my PC is due for an upgrade next year. If I want to play Mass Effect on that PC and it doesn’t istall properly the first time, I could seriously be screwed. The average game, in my opinion, needs to account for a user with minium 2 computer platforms and multiple installs for each in light of viruses and such. The max installs thus, in my eyes, should be at least 10, but I still feel like shelling out 60 bucks for a new game that has limited uses is insane. Don’t carry over MMO practices to regular PC games, there’s a reason why a lot of people don’t play MMOs.

Loudspeaker says:

So his sales were good?  So what?

Last I checked the DRM was hidden and downplayed in ALL of the written material included with Spore.  The truth is it made gamers like me choose to not pirate or purchase EA games.  On top of that I’ve influenced MANY parents here at my office regarding EA and their tyraid with DRM.  The fact is EA and RIAA have the same, outdated policies, but what does that matter now?  Now the United States gov’t is going to do their bidding for us. Wooo!  Yay!  So now I can pay taxes to per persecuted if I want to load a game more than 5 times on my PC.  Awesome.

Someone needs to slap these guys with a fat lawsuit since that’s the only thing they seem to understand.

"Volume helps to get a point across but sharp teeth are better."

Spartan says:

I love the guy’s quote from a recent conference.

"We chose a particularly aggressive form of DRM, which 99.8 percent of consumers would never notice, but that two-tenths of one percent got incredibly focused and formed an online PR cabal," he said. "We can eliminate piracy by essentially blocking the online service from the pirate." Riccitiello called it "the future of DRM," one we hope will be more adept at distinguishing between the consumers and the criminals." -John Riccitiello

ConstantNeophyte says:

John Riccitiello:

So; either we are criminals or idiots? Screw you, you EA douchebag!

-ConstantNeophyte: always the newb, ALWAYS.

Erik says:

You know maybe its just me, but I can lock and unlock the lock on my house or car more than five times before I lose acdess to it forever.  And if I get locked out of MY house I will get a locksmith to let me back in.  Ergo if I would decide to install a DRM laden game I bought with my money more than 5 times I would also get a "locksmith", otherwise known as a crack.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

insanejedi says:

I think you guys are continously setting up a strawman EA and continously keep beating it up and going like "fight the power!" or whatever agenda you guys have. Not one person have I seen on this website has ever argued for EA or there developers other than me. Everyone else is against or indifferent on the issue. The lock is on EA’s door not your door. They want to protect themselves and their own property. Spore is not your property it’s their property. It is easily cracked and easily floodable, and cumbersome to whomever wants to enter. But the point is to not beat the expert hackers or the expert who knows how to get around all this stuff. Without any DRM what people are asking is unreasonable. Because at that point any person can steal it, and you dont go to some torrent site to steal it, you go to someones house.

If there is no DRM on your game then you can install it on every single computer on the planet with only one copy of the game. If there is a CD Key, then you can install it on every single computer that does not connect to the internet. If there is a CD key online check like Steam, then you would have to connect to the internet to play your game (which was a big deal for Half Life 2 back in the day), if you do CD checks then it is manditory for you to have the disc in the computer at all times which is physically cumbersome. And Riccotello was right, WoW is the best way which is you charge your customers every months, at a point where the losses to even a copy of the game being torrented transfers into money made by them going online. And nobody really wants that for anything beyond MMO’s.

I stand by the fact that there is absoultly no perfect DRM scheme, and the technically perfect one would be BIOS level checks in the OS, which restricts use of P2P programs, cracks, CD key gens, and all the works. And no one wants that because you are all downloading movies and music onto your computers. (Dont say you haven’t done it once.)

People do not know that DRM is more tailored for the casual pirate who figures out the idea that you can install this game on every computer on the planet and flood them out there. It is not for the hackers who can break every single peice of code out there. And the reasoning to have DRM is more of a pride issue than anything else. By removing DRM you are admiting defeat to the hackers and saying that some nerd in his mom’s basement beated out a multi-billion dollar company as EA. For developers they find it a very sensitive issue for them, especially with people like Crytek who takes pride in their work and feels like the deserve to reap the benifits of their hard work. And what happened? Crysis got pirated to hell and back, and for people saying "oh well i’m testing my system." there was a little thing called a DEMO out there which is designed specifically for that.

The next solution which everyone lept on was the fact of putting out the PC version later than the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of a game. GP and you guys were just like "IT DOESNT WORKZ!!!! NO ONE BUYS A 300$ CONSOLE TO PLAY ENDWAR!" Well yea, no one ever does. But a lot of people own gaming PC’s and an Xbox 360’s or a PS3. And if you wanted to play Endwar, Devil May Cry 4, Lost Planet, or many other games which have done this like Gears of War. You would either have to wait 8 months or get the console versions. I’m willing to bet that there is a lot of people out there who know their way around cracks and torrents, but dealing with a physical thing out on the street as a mod chip is beyond their comprehension, so they buy console games the legal way. Transfering real cash for the same game which if released on the same day as the PC, they would be offered the choice between free, and not free. What do you think they are going to choose?

Spartan says:

Damn Zach, you beat to the punch every time. Give a guy a chance…

Anyway I fully concur with your opinion. John is funny nonetheless. He gives us/me as one of the anti-DRM organizers a compliment, and bitch slaps us at the same time. You have to love that kind of stuff.

mogbert says:

Futhermore, if we want to, we can opt to not have locks. Or, if we so choose, we could leave the door unlocked. When I lived in the country, we often didn’t lock the car or the house, you just about didn’t need to.

However, we don’t have locks on our doors that restrict the number of people coming into our house. We don’t have locks that require a third party to approve if we want to enter our home. Any locks that are too cumbersome, we get rid of.

I was part of this DRM protest, I did not pirate Spore (nor did I buy it).

E. Zachary Knight says:

No John. You are an idiot. Locks on our homes and cars protect personal property. The ydo not protect the companies who made the house or car.

We put locks on our houses to protect our private property. That is property that we own.

What you did was sell us a house that we can only enter with your permission. You basically rented us an apartment. You made it so that at anytime you could come in and change all our locks and prevent us from using our home.

You basically made us pay full price for something that we do not own.

I know that gaming is no where close to owning a home. I am just expanding on his comparison.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

DeepThorn says:

I thought it was the consumer…  meh…  couldnt be, just listen to John, haha.  I rather deal with John than Jack.  I feel that John can be rational, while Jack… he just needs help.

DeepThorn says:

Out of all of the pirated copies of Spore on peope’s computers, I would say well over 75% were consumers who chose piracy over rape, I mean paying for a game they are pretty much renting.

John Riccitiello, I for one will be more than happy to have that conversation with you.  I am sure Zach Knight would as well.  I think the 3 of us should have a little talk all together, and discuss the reality of the situation, and I ask that a psychologist come with us as well, because it seems that high ranking employees at EA live in a dream world, and I believe that Zach and I would need someone to translate to you what the real world is like, and remind you what a consumer is.  (I will give you a hint, a consumer is not a dollar sign.)

wiregr says:

It’s so much easier to just write off everyone who hates the overly restrictive DRM as criminals. After all, who cares what a criminal thinks? But ironically enough, the pirates didn’t have a problem with the DRM. It was completely transparent to them.

The pirates got the game as it was designed to be (or nearly so, at least), without introducing questionable software onto their machine. Nor did the pirates have any sort of install restrictions. So why would they complain about the DRM? Oh, right, unless you mean all of those potentially legitimite customers who decided to pirate the game rather than support a company that considers and treats its customers as criminals.

Ironically, what he’s actually saying is that half of the DRM protesters decided that they would rather pirate the game than pay money for an inferior version. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that he will even begin to realize unintentional logic in his own words.

DeepThorn says:

He is leading EA…  The board is filled with greedy stock holders, he is doing right by them, haha.

Where is the marketing departments cool-aid anyways?  I want to try some, because it evidently makes the whole world bright, shiney, filled with rainbows, and unicorns and the drinker can never do wrong as long as the green is coming in.  It sounds like some great X man, haha. (This is a joke, dont do drugs.)

DRM stops the resell of my house and car, not protect it, haha.  If DRM protected the game from piracy, why was it online for free before the release of the game?  I fully understand, I am not a pirate, and the CEO is full of bull.

I really want to try that cool aid though…  Especially if it makes him think products from EA are actually worth $60.

Neeneko says:

Wow, talk about out of touch with technology.

Pirates don’t care about DRM, it is usually easy to break and a patch comes out pretty soon after release… so to actual pirates,.. well, they don’t care one way or the other.

So sounds like this CEO has been drinking his own marketing department’s cool aid because he doesn’t seem to actually know anything about how piracy or the technologies involved actually work.

I can’t stand leaders who don’t bother to take the time to learn about what they are leading.

Silphion says:

He prefaced it with a "Guess", meaning he did not look in depth at the breadth and scope of the anti-DRM protest.  I’ll be the first to admit, as one of said protesters, the whole thing DID get out of proportion.  But a lot of these are honestly people who WOULD have bought the game, hell even PREORDERED the game, and waited with Gabe-and-Tycho-Murdering passion.  But when they heard about DRM?  Cancled Pre-Orders, lots of them.

That, I think, was the beginning and the end of the Anti-DRM that EA could have listened to.  The problem is, it was Amazon or Gamestop that suffered.  They still ordered copies from the publisher according to the initial number of pre-orders.  Did EA see the cancellations directly?  Not likely until the returns started coming in.  Unfortunatly, casual gamer hype and fandom allowed it to flourish in the retail market.

John Riccitiello’s right–the consumer votes with their money.  The only people who’se opinions matter are those who are willing to open their wallets for somebody’s game.  Anybody who had no intention to buy it has absolutely no say in what goes on with the game.

Personally, I think Spore is a great game, one that I thought was really fun to play on my friend’s PC.  But if someone asks for my recommendation, I would tell them "I love it, you will too.  But don’t download it–and don’t buy it."

scribe999 says:

From insulting the customer as all being potential thieves, to leveling condescending remarks that those of us who disagree with the heavy-handed DRM system are either thieves or imbeciles, I have to wonder what John Riccitiello’s marketing team must think. STOP INSULTING YOUR MARKET!

For the record, I disagree with the EA DRM system as a pointless hassle to something that was inevitably going to be broken by ardent, unrepentant pirates anyway. Sins of a Solar Empire didn’t hamstring its own customers and did some very nice business without having a security guard come along with the retail version of the game to watch the player closely in his/her own home. I also didn’t pirate the game. In fact, I want nothing to do with it, and will move on to the many other entertainment offerings that are available to me and my budget in these difficult economic times.

Sigvatr says:

Locks, keys and passports are for your personal safety. DRM actually makes you less safe, because when you try to install the game after a hard drive wipe, you will suffer from a heart attack caused by a fit of rage.

Ouroboros says:

Ahahahaha… Man, these guys really just don’t get it, do they? Pirates don’t care about DRM because they crack DRM in 15 minutes after the game comes out. This jerk-off needs to get out of the boardroom and start hitting the Web boards to get a real education about what’s going on with his products, instead of listen some slicked-back boot licker telling him everything’s a-ok.