More on those Obama XBL Ads

MTV Multiplayer’s Stephen Totilo has a couple of points to make regarding the now-famous Barack Obama ads on Xbox Live.

Stephen reports that if you’re playing Burnout: Paradise on PlayStation 3, for example, you won’t see the Obama ads. They are running only on Xbox Live. Instead, you’ll see a faux car ad. For XBL players who want to check out the Obama ads, Stephen provides detailed instructions on how to locate them in-game.

Pictures of Obama ads in additional EA games are starting to pop up. has shots from Madden 09 and NBA Live 09. Destructoid has a Madden pic as well.

It’s interesting to note the diverse opinions of gamers on the ads. Examiner’s Tom Hall, for example, hates them:

Shouldn’t we be allowed to escape this 3 ring ring circus once and while?  Do we really have to have this crammed down our throats 24 hours a day?  I’m pretty thankful that they have yet to discover the technology that lets them beam ads into my dreams… Video games, at least for me have always provided me with the escape from reality that I just plain need sometimes.

Meanwhile, Destructoid’s Brad Nicholson seems to like the in-game ads:

After the Burnout piece, I found myself wondering the impact that political ads can actually have. Have any of you been swayed to vote early, or consider Obama over that other candidate? Do you consider this intrusive? Personally, I enjoy this ad much more than a Nike one because it at least has a message that is important. I like sneakers and all, but politics and blueberry pie are higher on my priority list.

As for GP? Since I run GamePolitics, it should come as no surprise that I love the idea of political ads in games. Here’s what I told the Dallas Morning News:

Some gamers are saying, ‘We don’t want politics mixed in with our games,’ and some think it’s a very cool use of the medium. It’s a defining moment for not only advertising in video games but the political connection with video games.

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

How did you upload the Flash game Jack?

TheSurRealFakeJackThompson says:

I apologize for my other personality’s poor taste in music.

I however applaud for once Politicians actually trying to engage gamers instead of demonizing them. Of course tht was my fault. But I am trying to clean up after myself. You know not with a man diaper or anything. Or discarded faxes to use when I no longer have the money for toilet paper.

ezbiker555 says:

I really like these ads online. I mean its a great way to reach out to the audeince younger like me. Though I have yet to see one online with my own eyes on the screen yet.

Zevorick says:

Which makes you wonder… why aren’t they? Are they foolish enough to believe there are not undecided gamers out there? They speak of Obama like he’s a celebrity, yet they refuse to go the extra mile to get their name out there in a platform that, I would suspect, would gladly welcome them? Something isn’t right… wing :p

Jack says:

Then his answer will be to get our asses to stop playing and start getting involved. Seriously, why do so many see his ads as hypocrisy? (Did I spell that right?)

Brokenscope says:

Well, if Obama ever starts wailing on videogames, and paints them as a medium played primarily by children, then we can question why his campaign put ads into games.

E. Zachary Knight says:

Granted the Obama camp were the ones who sought out the advertising space. So if the McCain camp or Barr camp or whoever wanted to advertise in these games, I am sure EA would be more than willing to.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page:
    Facebook Page:

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Zevorick says:

I don’t know…

I’m voting for Obama, but out of fairness I’d like to see other candidates advertised too, such as that elephant dude and…. those independent people. Why not? I’m switching my vote to Perot. Third times a charm?

biglybiglyfk says:

your point is valid…but u can look at it this way: Gamers (obviously +18 gamers in this case) were always looked as childish adults…so the fact that Obama’s campaign chose to target games is a fairly positive thing…plus as u said from now Obama will shut up about gaming stuff

DarkTetsuya says:

Jack who? Never heard of em. 😛

As for Obama, the only thing I’ve heard him say about games is ‘put em down for a while and balance it out with other activities.’ Certainly a far cry from the ‘BAN BAN BAN BAN’ of the likes of Hillary and her ilk.

— "Jack and listen are two words that don’t go together…just like Jack and sanity, Jack and truth, Jack and proof, Jack and win…" — sortableturnip |

Ashkihyena says:

Ignoring Jack Thompsons weird reply that has nothing to do with this article., I hate this myself, I would like to keep politics out of my games plz.

And yes, Brokenscope is right, if Obama starts going off on video games, we can point him right back to these ads.

Father Time says:

Well it’s better than all those ED ads that seem to pop up everywhere now.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

WarOtter says:

Given the amount of work that will be required to fix all the problems brought upon by this administration, I would doubt if they will actually have enough time to try to work on such a trivial issue… that is unless of course some jack-ass politician sees it as some sort of hot button issue to raise for the sake of headlines. Of course, no one would be that stupid… would they?

As far as ads in games goes, hell, as long as they are paying for the space and it encourages game companies to stay in production then by all means go ahead, just don’t make my game slow down or stop for them (i.e. "This Headshot brought to you by Head & Shoulders. Forget about the blood, get rid of the flakes!")

You see, I believe in the noble, aristocratic art of doing absolutely nothing. And one day, I hope to be in a position to do even less!