Would-be Video Game Designer is Killed in Afghanistan

Another in an all-too-frequent series honoring gamers who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country…

A dedicated soldier who wanted more than a virtual war experience has been killed in Afghanistan.

As reported by the Boston Globe, Army Specialist Stephen Fortunato was killed on Tuesday when his vehicle was struck by a roadside bomb. From the newspaper report:

According to his family, Fortunato’s decision to enlist into a war-time Army was driven by a powerful feeling of patriotism; a desire to experience war personally, not only through a video game; and the opportunity to use the GI Bill to pay for college.

"He wanted to change the world," his father, Richard, said in a phone interview from his Florida home yesterday. "How he was going to do it single-handedly, I don’t know. But he wanted to change the world."

The Boston Herald reports that Fortunato planned to return to school, possibly for training in video game design.

29 comments

HalfShadow says:

Oh, hearken to him: ‘Get him out of here’ he says, as if he were someone of importance.

Tell me; has your swelled head caused you any balance issue as of late?

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Agreed. Get him out of here.

——————————————————————————————————–

I AM DOOMED TO HAUNT JACK THOMPSON’S DREAMS UNTIL HIS CRUSADE AGAINST VIDEO GAMES ENDS.

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

CAN YOU BE ANY MORE OF A JACKASS!?

Seriously. Don’t post shit like that.

——————————————————————————————————–

XceTRa says:

Ya know im going to say this plainly and simply: screw you. If your going to rant about how pointless you think an article is on someone elses website, then go do it somewere else, besides the least you could do is resist the urge to post a rude comment.

On a lighter note I feel for this guys friend’s and family. He could have been a great game designer.

$70q (0emq1_41/v1/v6

Bennett Beeny says:

So let me get this straight – this was a guy who ‘may’ have intended to go to college ‘possibly’ for training in video game design?  Can the link to GamePolitics be any more vague?  I mean what next?  Are we going to hear about a voter in the next election whose vote ‘may’ be the key to the election, and whose deciding vote might lead him into politics and to overturn all the gaming legislation, potentially leading us into a utopian gaming fantasy world?

I just wonder how far down the path of pure speculation GP needs to go.  Another slow news day I guess.

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

1. Yes, it’s creepy. That’s how I noticed it.

2. Nice.

——————————————————————————————————–

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Hey, did anyone else notice he has the same name as the guy Narrator killed in Edgar Allan Poe’s "The Cask Of Amontillado"? That’s one hell of a f***ing coincidence.

Anyway, in all seriousness, it’s a shame he died. I wonder how many good games he wouldve made?

——————————————————————————————————–

Wimblesaurus says:

To quote Bill Hicks, "What a tragedy?  What a dick."

In all seriousness, though, this is pretty tragic.  Just as tragic as it is when a non-gamer dies in Iraq.  Why don’t we just start a sidebar honoring all the young men and women that give their life in the Middle East for this "country" we call home, regardless of their gaming habits?

No, Luke, I AM the Walrus

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

What did he say about JT, other than what you said?

And my condolences go out with yours, VF.

——————————————————————————————————–

metroidprimegmr says:

Um, Stephen WANTED to go to Afghanistan to fight in the war; says so right in the article!

Bush and Cheney didn’t "force" him to do anything.

/lrn2readkthxbai

_______________________________________________________

Jack Thompson: future Good Burger employee of the month

VeteranFootman says:

Sad thing is, he’s right, though. It’s only a matter of time before Thompson barges in here to claim another victory for his cause.

Back on topic, my condolences go to this brave man’s friends and family.

Flamespeak says:

May he rest in peace.

A moment of silence for a fallen soldier, a fellow gamer, an American, and, above all else, a human being dying for a cause he felt was bigger than himself.

Spartan says:

Hmmmm… Maybe it is just me but the player is not scaling correctly if at all.

Update: It appears th eplayer has been removed.

On topic:

It is really sad to hear another trooper paid the cost for Bush & Cheney’s grossly mismanaged war on terrorism.

——————————————-

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus