Report: Details on E3 2009 Revealed Tonight

E3 2008 was a disaster. But what will the 2009 version look like – provided there is one?

According to Destructoid, all will be revealed tonight on G4’s X-Play, hosted by Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb.

GP: Since there is hoopla involved, the ESA must be holding E3 next year – and it must be a very different animal (because if it was the same, everyone at ESA would be fired). Here are the possibilities as we see them:

• open to the public
  • open to the public & combined with that other L.A.-based flop, E for All
  • back to the pre-2007 extraganza, but open to industry and media only
  • an entirely new show with an entirely new name… in an entirely new city?

UPDATE: I’m hearing unconfirmed reports that the ESA – which owns and operates E3 – is not on board with whatever E3 news G4 has planned for tonight.

UPDATE 2: G4 reports that E3 2009 will remain in L.A., but offer public admission – for a fee. Expect the ESA to drop the official announcement on Tuesday morning.

ZippyDSMlee says:

The problem is the spectial is what sold brands they do not have "it" in pax and want to do one big bash to ramp up public support and meet and talk about the industry with insiders once a year.  Altho E3 might just be dead man waking will see if pubs take notice of the change or contenuie to leave the sinking ship of the ESA.

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

This is what I want.

*Open to the public, for a small fee. (I mean, like maybe $5.00 to $10.00)

*Pre-2007 extravaganza.

That’s it.

Father Time says:

If we were looking for pictures of babes on the internet E3 coverage wouldn’t be at the top of the list. When will those people learn that fact.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

Aliasalpha says:

Oh joy, it’s going back to its old school experience! I look forward to hundreds of e3 previews which are "TITS TITS TITS TITS BOOTH BABE BOOTH BABE oh and someone said something about GTA5 but we were distracted by TITS!"

Father Time says:

Well I’m glad it will stay in L.A. I live near Los Angeles and I haven’t had a chance to attend anything except the two E for Alls (which I couldn’t see because of time).

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

Dick Ward says:

Not for nothing, but E3 was really easy to navigate and most of the people there were actually there for a reason.  I was actually able to get to meetings and get things done.  Now, I wasn’t at old E3, but I’ve covered CES and I can tell you which one was more press friendly.

E3 needs a focus and needs to be at a better time. (is June confirmed by the way?)  The fans don’t need E3 when they have PAX right around the corner.  So maybe magazine and website staff don’t get the gold treatment and get driven back to their hotel rooms drunk, but is that really a bad thing?

benbur says:

Hey there!

At E For All I was talking to an LA Convention Center employee who has a son that attends the expos. She told me that E3 had already reserved the LA Convention Center for 2009 but wouldn’t give me dates.

If this information is accurate the expo is definitely going to be bigger than it was last year.

Ben Burgess

GoodRobotUs says:

Video Games are about Fun, that’s where its heart has always been, not about profit. It was started by my generation sitting in front of their BBC Micros or Spectrums and coding away not because they wanted to be rich, but because they loved computers, they loved games, and they wanted to share their ideas/games with other people. We used to sit typing out listings from PC World (No such things as Cover CD’s or downloadable content then, and entering a listing was no mean feat with the Spectrums keywords) purely to see what other people had achieved, we did it because we loved it.

E3 needs to represent that more than anything, if you don’t include the heart of gaming in the show, then the show will have no heart.