Jack Thompson Whines About GamePolitics, ECA, Kotaku & Kitchen Sink in Court Filing

It must be awfully difficult to be a disbarred attorney. I mean, what do you do with all of that free time?

If you’re Jack Thompson you file court motions. And Thompson filed one of his more bizarre ones today. It’s another of those picture books filings that the disgraced attorney has taken to submitting in recent months. Apparently capitalizing upon his free time, Thompson has taken the trouble to paste in snaps of:

• GP volunteer comment mod E. Zachary Knight
  • GP editor (me)
  • Hal Halpin, head of consumer group the ECA
  • Brian Crecente, editor of Kotaku
  • Strauss Zelnick, chairman of Take-Two
  • Doug Lowenstein, former ESA boss

His purpose seems to be an attempt to make the case – yet again – that the video game industry is responsible for his disbarment. That’s an odd approach as most of the people he names in today’s filing aren’t part of the video game industry.

Thompson seems particularly upset over the amusing Disbarment Countdown Timer created by EZK. On that score Thompson writes:

If there were any doubt as to the core purpose of this disbarment, instigated by the video game industry, note… The Jack Thompson Disbarment Countdown Clock is at the center of a commerce-driven lynch mob… This court should grant the emergency stay to at least freeze the Countdown Clock pending an evidentiary hearing on this nonsense.

It’s so clear now! The multi-billion dollar video game industry reached down from its perch on Wall Street and demanded the creation of a free Disbarment Timer add-on for Firefox. Makes perfect sense…

As to my involvement, he writes:

GamePolitics.com’s operator is Dennis McCauley, who filed his own Florida Bar complaint against Thompson for being mean to videogamers. GamePolitcs ran a multi-part series about Thompson’s Bar trial, court transcripts and all. Mr. McCauley, pictured below, worked with Referee Dava Tunis to place court documents at his site before Thompson got them…

It’s true that I filed a Bar complaint about him in 2006. I’ve written about that in the past. The Bar complaint certainly wasn’t about "being mean to videogamers."

GP did indeed run a multi-part series on Thompson’s Bar trial, complete with transcripts. I’m very proud of that series. The assertion about working with Judge Dava Tunis is simply a lie.

UPDATE: Thompson also mentioned that GamesLaw.net has been tracking his court filings. All part of the conspiracy, eh, Miami Jack?

FULL DISCLOSURE DEPT: The ECA is the parent company of GamePolitics.

Read the court filing here.

CK20XX says:

Then I propose that instead of a holiday, this be remembered as a one month festival lasting from September 25th to October 25th each year.  What shall it be called and how shall it be celebrated?

"They were retarded hairless pink bunnies, all of them. Except Shigeru Myamoto and… well, the good ones were just too /rare/ to be worth bothering about." – Mason Hornblower on the extinction of the human race

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Baruch_S says:

I think I’ll go see the Max Payne movie to celebrate. It’s based on a game, so it must cause children to become serial killers in Jack’s universe. I think that’s close enough 😉

wiregr says:

Oh man, this is great. I had completely forgotten about the wonderful holiday rapidly approaching in 3 days, 7 hours, 47 minutes, and 47 seconds! It turns out I’m already going to be in Los Angeles partying my ass off, so now I have a reason to celebrate!

And special thanks to Jack Thompson for pointing out the countdown clock. I somehow seemed to miss this little jem, but I have no doubt it will keep me entertained for the next 3 days, 7 hours, 44 minutes and 49 seconds…

E. Zachary Knight says:

Actually, I am using basic javascript time functions. I have it adjusted for EST. So if you are in CST, it is counting down to Oct. 24th at 11PM. If you are on GMT it counts down to Oct. 25th 4AM. So when it gets to zero, it will be zero for everyone.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

DarkTetsuya says:

Well enjoy it while it lasts, I’ll prolly remove it this saturday (only to further the whole ‘Jack who?’ so we can forget about him sooner than later. ^^;

— "Jack and listen are two words that don’t go together…just like Jack and sanity, Jack and truth, Jack and proof, Jack and win…" — sortableturnip | http://www.orangeloungeradio.com/

GoodRobotUs says:

Nice! I suppose you could have run it off the System clock, but that would have probably caused more problems than it solved, since it makes a lot of assumptions about the system it’s being run on. I’m assuming you used some kind of online Sync instead?

lazyslothboy says:

Dennis is trying to ruin Jack thompson.  Thompson never whined about a kitchen sink.  YOU FIEND

In truth, a funny submission by Jack Thompson, as always

sortableturnip says:

You know, the funny thing is, the Court will probably not even read this, since he didn’t have another attorney sign and file it for him, in accordance with his filing restrictions.

Also, what happened between last week and this week?  His filing last week was nice and neat, and this week???  Shite.  Maybe he forgot to take his meds this week or something…

1AgainstTheWorld says:

So let’s see… His disbarrment was announced on 9/25.  It’s now 10/21.  So he’s had 26 days to put together a convincing argument for why he should remain a lawyer, and this is honestly the BEST he could come up with?!

Jack’s mental unhinging is fascinating to watch.  Can’t wait to see what happens in 4 days, 8 hours, 55 minutes.  (Thanks again for the add-on, EZK!)

Erik says:

"If there were any doubt as to the core purpose of this disbarment, instigated by the video game industry, note… The Jack Thompson Disbarment Countdown Clock is at the center of a commerce-driven lynch mob…"

Wait what?  John Bruce, just how the FUCK does that make the slightest mote of sense?  An INDIVIDUAL on a blog makes a firefox addon. (not really a massive feat).  So just how does that prove that the entire video game industry is in control of the legal system in Florida for the sole purpose of taking on their least successful opponent?  What’s next? "Erik called me a pants-on-head retard, therefore that proves that Kennedy was killed by a second gunman on the grassy knoll"

It wasn’t EZK’s firefox addon that was responsible for our disbarment, it was John Bruce’s insipid, childish and threatening submissions to a court of law.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

SimonBob says:

Perhaps he thinks the bar will forget to sign off on his disbarment if they’re all laughing too hard?  You played your hand too early, Jack.  The filing is chortle-worthy, but it’s not gonna last to the end of the week.  Should’ve held it ’til Thursday, when everyone’s nice and dour and needs the chuckles.

The Mammon Industry

Zevorick says:

You know… I’m starting to think Jack Thompson isn’t crazy… I think its possible he’s a total Genious. Follow me for a second. He’s already admitted he’s had stock in Take 2. Now imagine if he had gobbles and gobbles of it just piling up, decides its about time to retire, and decides it’s time to up his stock worth. So he goes on a religious crusade bashing them left and right, making a complete and total arse of himself, on purpose mind you, to get attention for Grand Theft Auto. The more the stock rises, the more heck he tries to raise. Knowing his conduct will eventually get him disbarred, he sells his stock at the most opportune time, kicks up for a final hurah, and waits for the curtain to close. He gets infamy AND a retirement fund. After all, he did seem to have a frothingly avid interest in the EA deal. Very Sneaky sis…

Bah who am I kidding…

HilaryDuffGta says:

http://www.myspace.com/hermoinefan_420 (and boom goes the dynamite)

hey disbarment day!! hell yes i love that idea..who’s buying the cake?! i’ll bring the twinkies and shasta’s

Woohooo Party!…Seriously jack i mean come on how many times have we heard "the video game industry is against me" come up with something new already

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

<reads JT’s court filing> Oh, this. Is. Hilarious.

Oh, wow. EZK, I didn’t know you look like that. You look kinda funny with that helmet. XD

Whoa! Dennis, dude, I thought you were younger! Looks like you need some Just For Men. *ba dum tish*

Just kidding, guys. Actually, every time I look in a mirror, my reflection reminds me that I’m no Hugh Jackman look-alike….Actually, when I look in a mirror, it breaks. *ba dum tish*……Sorry. Being annoying.

5th page, 3rd paragraph: "…by the video game industry pon the First Amendment rights of…"

Whoa. Looks like someone needs a spell checker. ZING!

~Game on, brothers and sisters.~

JustChris says:

I just have to say one thing: BAWWWWWWWW!

There seems to be no time where Jack Thompson doesn’t speak without hyperbole, and takes his hyperbole literally. The sad thing is, as deluded as this man is, no one is sympathetic enough for him to undergo psychiatric examination. He has all the major traits of narcissim, and it’s one that’s tricky to figure out. For starters, narcissists are known for manipulating the very therapists that are supposed to treat them.

Sigvatr says:

I am quite serious about this. I don’t think anything would be more insulting to Jack Thompson than declaring an international holiday celebrating his defeat. Besides, gamers don’t have any holidays yet.

farlander28 says:

‘"I mAEK filing! OH nOeZ!" scrawled on it in his own poop.’

ROFL! That is just begging to be fark’d or flash-animated in some way. ðŸ˜€

"Life sucks, get a fuckin helmet" – Denis Leary

Sigvatr says:

I am declaring October 25th to be an international gamer holiday, celebrating the disbarment of Jack Thompson. It shall be called Disbarment Day, and gamers around the world shall celebrate it by making time to play their favorite violent video game.

doewnskitty says:

You know, I’m rather surprised that Jack would try to continue pointing at GamePolitics as evidence of some sort of conspiracy against him, especially given quality of his own behavior throughout the site’s existence.

It’s like a clueless kid still being potty-trained proudly declaring to his mother that he’d pissed himself and in turn, soiled the carpet.

Then again, Thompson certainly has proved himself a walking demonstration and definition of "absurd."

Andrew Eisen says:

Free advice for Jack Thompson:

Spell check.  Use it.  Before filing a court document.

Oh, and don’t lie.  That’s important too.

Andrew Eisen

Shoehorn Oplenty says:

It’s amazing how deluded the man is. Just when you think you have seen it all, he pushes the boat out a little further. His statement at the end about a commerce-driven lynch mob is funny. Have any of the people or companies he mentioned earned a single cent from his disbarment?

I also find it very interesting that the nearer he gets to the disbarment date, the amount of typos and errors in his filings grows larger! There are words with all but one letter italicised, extra letters here and there, missing letters elsewhere. Given his track record with any of his efforts, I’m guessing he never proof-reads anything that he writes. He just assumes it to be perfect and sends it out. I don’t know if it’s nerves or despair or just plain clumsiness at this stage.

My favourite thing about it is the picture of Brian Crecente in the Kotaku section. Nowhere does he mention Brian, he talks instead about Gawker and their owner and then out of nowhere is Brian and picture. Anyone not familiar with the website will be asking themselves "who the hell is this guy?"

If the trend towards worsening grammar, spelling and presentation continues as it has to date, I predict that on disbarment day he will simply hurl a brick through the Florida Bar offices window with "I mAEK filing! OH nOeZ!" scrawled on it in his own poop.

AuntySocial says:

I asked the same thing.  Didn’t get an answer.

JT, go WooHoo yourself. 1 day 14 hours and 56 minutes until you and Mike Nifong can be poker buddies.

Insanity has its toll. Please have exact change.

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Damn that sly cat! He stole it from me!

Conundrum says:

Hi, new guy here.  I’ve been reading though all this rather humorous stuff that JT has either posted or filed and all I can say is wow.  I mean seriously there is a point at which most people would just give up, I know I would have by now and accepted my fate but to say that this site is part of a conspiracy is going too far.

I’ve read through every article in the JT series and even though some of the comments have been rather caustic I feel it’s only fair to point out that while the people here don’t agree with his views, when it was reported that he was having health problems the vast majority of people didn’t laugh at him or say it was something like gods will but sent their well wishes and hoped that he would get better soon.

That is far from a heartless conspiracy to silence a lawyer.  I don’t see anyone here who is trying to stop him from saying what he wants to as long as he keeps it civil and as a so called "First Amendment Expert" he should know that we have the freedom of speech but within reason.  It’s a well established fact that free speech stops at doing something like yelling "fire" in a crowded theater or "hijack" on an airliner.  It’s also acceptable to place rules on a public forum or message board so that things can be kept civil and under control.  I don’t see anyone here that is actively trying to keep him from talking.

All people are allowed to have their feelings on this and making a simple Firefox add-on is hardly being a member of the video-game industry conspiracy.  With GP being a gaming news site GP is allowed to make a public records request for transcripts of trials and post them which is well within the first amendment I.E. freedom of the press.  As for the other allegations that JT has made I’m not sure if they are all valid or not but I do not agree with them and those my friends are my personal feelings.

BlindJustice15 says:

Jack’s wife should file for divorce sometime soon, preferably before his disbarment is permanent. I hope she does this, and gets full custody of his son. That way, he won’t have anyone to do his "sting" operations.

Nocturne says:

In the UK it’s covered by the Video Recordings Act 1984, it was extended under the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 to cover video games which ‘depict criminal activity which is likely to any significant extent to stimulate or encourage the commission of offences’, which is why GTA IV is rated for ages 18 and over but games like Call of Duty 4 just have the PEGI ratings (16+ in this case) which are advisory, not legally binding. A lot of violent games that don’t depict criminal activity are still put forward for ratings to make it easier to get them into retail and have them protected by law (ie Dead Space was rated and passed without cuts though you don’t commit any crimes in the game)

The ratings given by the BBFC (i.e. U, PG, 12A, 15, 18, R) are a legal age limit (same as with films/DVD’s etc and it is unlawful to sell to anyone under that age. To my knowledge the only penalty that has been enacted under the law is a caution to not do it again or at most a fine for multiple offences of willingly selling to those who are known to be underage (so most often, nothing). Most games stores now will refuse to sell if your under the PEGI rating if there is no BBFC rating.

ezbiker555 says:

I just wanted to point out that we have made 171 posts in this topic without Jack Thompson and that proves him wrong that he brings more posts around here. I told you so Jack. I told you so.

Michael Chandra says:

Thought I’d asked before but I forgot where I asked and can’t find it again (not even with Google), so I’ll have to ask it here:

What countries in, say, West-Europe, Scandinavia, Mediterranean Europe exactly outlaw selling mature video games to kids, and what laws are those?

jds says:

It’s funny that he hasn’t yet posted to this article, unless he’s been banned again. Of course it isn’t so strange as I’m sure he is off somewhere having everyone right where he wants them.

Jack Thompson: Loser Loses.

. . Wisdom begins in wonder. – Socrates . .

duncan_922 says:

Actually, you’re wrong in all accounts….

If "gaming news" sites like this one had ignored Jack thompson, he would’ve faded a long time ago.  So he has appeared a few times in Fox News…  Who cares???  Since when has anything credible come out of Fox News?  The only other time he might’ve been featured somewhere respectable is on CNN’s top 10 list of the most un-successful lawyers in the country!

Seriously, think about it.  What has Jack Thompson achieved?  Appereances in Fox News and a red-neck award from Utah!  Besides that there’s….   Nothing.  None of "the laws he cooperated" passed, he won no cases and got his ass thrown out most of them.  He’s basically not even a lawyer anymore.  So what else is there…  The price for Forum Troll of the Decade?

If that’s not Epic Fail, then what is?

Tomatoisjp says:

Actually, that would be a very bad move. Admittedly, we probably shouldn’t be taunting him like we are (though I will anyway), but if the whole gaming community were to just ignore him, he’d still continue to spout his garbage without anyone to contradict his ravings. We might know he’s a raving, senile old coot who will very shortly be disbarred permanently, but does the rest of the world? No, they do not. They see Jack Thompson, crusader against violent media, and gaming expert of Fox News.

-Despite what gamers seem to think, Jack Thompson is not an "Epic Fail." This is because "Epic Fail" implies only a particular level of failure, a level which Jack left behind 30 years ago.

Loudspeaker says:

If you’re soooo bothered by JT coverage, then why are you reading it?  Ignoring him doesn’t make him go away.  That was proven 30 years ago.

"Volume helps to get a point across but sharp teeth are better."

duncan_922 says:

So let’s recap this piece of "gaming news"….

– Jack Thompson made a court filing.

– Jack Thompson blamed everything from his disbarrment, to the decay of western society, to global warming on the gaming industry, gamers, everyone but himself.

– Jack Thompson is stupid.

So in another piece of shocking news:

Let the guy fade into obscurity!

Nekojin says:

That suggests that he was ever using any kind of restraint before. I think the disbarment proceedings pretty much proved that he simply doesn’t HAVE any restraint.

It’s hard to get worse when you’re already a walking superlative.

DavCube says:

This is the first article about him that Dennis has posted in WEEKS. Not hours, WEEKS.

For crying out loud, you’re making a huge deal over absolutely NOTHING.

cullarn says:

you missed the point some people are wooried that jack will go away and someone new and improved will walk up and take up the cause. im saying that jack is a one man show and wont leave and wont share the stage either =]

Aliasalpha says:

face777’s post has given me an idea. All comments made on here are technically a free contribution to the site aren’t they? This would mean they’re the property of dennis (as apparently he is property of "teh evil g4m1|\|g conspiraciez"). Would it be legally possible to actually compile some of the articles & comments where jack has spewed his vitriol into a book (even as an ebook) and have it published, all the funds raised from the sale going to some gamer charity (games for hospitals or something). It’d be like a GP greatest hits album!

What should it be called? Maybe "Downfall Of A Madman"? I was going to go for "Diarrhea of a Madman" but the dave brockie experience beat me to it. The cover picture MUST feature a tinfoil hat anyway.

I’m not sure what would be more likely to make jack’s head pop, asking him to sign it for you or him finding out that it outsold his book…

HarmlessBunny says:

Ahhhh a suitable end for Jack… Another picture book filing (NOT signed by another attorney so it will be tossed out like the rest of his garbage). Ranting and raving about conspiracies that do not exist and lying the whole way through. Hmmmmm I guess Captain F#ckhead has gone off the deep end. I really think he finally snapped. I guess the guy was as crazy as we all thought. I suppose right now he is building a tin-foil jacket to go with his "Tin-Foil General Napoleon Hat."

Good riddence to the egotistical liar, the nitwit, the crazy and perverse man who actually validated a lot of lawyer jokes.

TBoneTony says:

I think the best we can do is after he gets disbarred, we should not mention anything about Jack Thompson.

Therefore he will not exist in this world. A suitable punishment for someone who wants attention.

Keddren says:

Wait wait waitwaitwaitwaitwait.

This?  This is it?!

Jack has been going on for weeks about a "big surprise" he had planned and this piece of nonsensical illustrated fuckwittery is the best he could come up with?

Sweet zombie jesus, Jack.  I knew you were inept but I was hoping for….something.

I’m….I’m so very disappointed in you.  No, don’t talk to me.  I don’t even want to look at you.

Flak says:

Really, awhile ago I would of just scoffed and laughed when Ol’ Jacky did something like this. But really, now that he’s disbarred, he can’t do anything to us unless he finds an attorney as equally deluded as he is and that just makes it sad. He has yet to accept the fact that there is no consipracy, there is no racketeering ring, GP has no part in the world of law and is not part of some gaming organization.

Oh well. See you next month you crazy has-been

Live long, game hard, and don’t cheat.

duncan_922 says:

Doug Lowestein was right!

So we continue with the Jack Thompson daily tracker????   What’s next…  What he had for breakfast???  Seems like this site can’t generate traffic if it doesn’t mention Jack Thompson.

Let the idiot just fade!!!!

sqlrob says:

Why is it "there can be only one?". Jack hasn’t stopped anyone competent from filing a suit.

The reason that anyone competent hasn’t done anything is that anyone competent knows enough not to bother, there’s no real reason.

Erik says:

I predict that Jack will eventually do something to get himself arrested.  He has nowhere to go but down!

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

BANE XXIII says:

I don’t think any of us has anything to worry about.  Jack serves as an example of obsession, and what damage it that obsession taken to far can do. Once he’s disbarred, I don’t think anyone of confidence will step up, much less want to. Every report has been discredited or found to be inaccurate or biased. Though there are those exceptions of parental irresponsibility.

Bane XXIII

Minneapolis, Mn

"My Optimism Reigns Supreme"

potatojones83 says:

If you count the LiveJournal bannings as well he’s been banned well over fifty times. I forget the exact count but I think this puts him somewhere closer to sixty-five or seventy.

Icehawk says:

Honestly I think that JBT got confused between Denise and Dennis.  jackie is not what one would consider exactly bright afterall.   I still have to give the nod of approval to Dennis for tolerating it for so long.

Gnasher says:

I also like

This court should grant the emergency stay to at least freeze the Countdown Clock pending an evidentiary hearing on this nonsense."

Love the way he sees this as the key part, and capitalises ‘Countdown Clock’ – clearly it’s important to him.

cullarn says:

i know why jt got banned for calling dennis "sweetie" ( for someone who claims to be straight he sure is acting . . . . funny) obviously this isnt meant to be an insult to anyone but jt

Gnasher says:

I started to read the filing, got as far as page 3, then decided I had to register here just to say ‘LMAO’ to this:

"Despite Mr. Lowenstein’s appearance, below, the producer for 60 Minutes says Mr. Lowestein travels with his own make-up artist"

cullarn says:

you dont have to worry about jack hes only being disbarred. trust me hes not gonna "leave the stage" in fact after his disbarment ill bet money he shouts all the louder. trust me jt will not bow out gracefully, its just not his style

clownluv247 says:

am i really the only gamer AGAINST jack being disbarred?  think of it this way; with jack as the figurehead of the anti-game movement, we had nothing to fear. with him gone, the role will eventually be filled by someone else, and the next person might actually know how to do his job

ezbiker555 says:

for my final essay paper for my college composition class, I shall write about the concept of being disbarred. Guess who going to be used for the examples. 😉

Icehawk says:

jackie has insulted, demeaned, slandered, theatened and lied about posters here.  Not sure how anyone can consider it is a surprise that there are those (oh gamers maybe) that are taking some small delight in his fall.   We are not at fault, share little to no guilt and did not push him off the edge.  The fool jumped, again and again and again.

jackie if I were you (and glad I am not) I would be trying to do something Useful with my last few days before the axe falls.  Oh but not you.  No, no you have them right where you want them (blah blah).  You will rise from this and see to the downfall of the evil ones….

This is kind of sad it is not even worth trying to insult him as I cannot do anything close to what he did to himself.   Yes JBT I feel little but pity for you.  Waste of Protein and amino acids.   Ah well that clock clicks ever down.

Oh and EZK if I am not mistaken that is mayhaps the Cursed Plastic Dwarven Warhelm of Hair Matting (+2) is it not?

GamesLaw says:

Denis, you forgot to mention us! He threw my site in along with the motion, without any explanation how we contribute to it. Hell, we don’t even use the clock (both of our editors are Mac users, and AFAIK none of our writers use it).

Dan "SWATJester" Rosenthal

Executive Director, GamesLaw.net

Member, ABA IP Law Division Special Committee on Computer Gaming and Virtual Worlds

CK20XX says:

Wow.  I wish I was as handsome as the people pictured in this document.

I dunno… I can’t blame people for mocking and laughing (heck, I did when I read the filing), but I also can’t wait for this saga to end.  Once it does though, could someone collect all his filings and make a website as a shrine to his insanity?  Then we can look back whenever we need a chuckle.

Also, for October 25th, I move that everyone wear a W.W.J.D. bracelet to commemorate it.  It stands for "What Would Jack Do?" and the idea is that whenever you’re tempted to flame, shout at, or tease someone, stop and take a look at the bracelet and think of what Jack would do.  Then do the exact opposite.  He really is an inspiration for us all in that way.

magic_taco says:

Yup, Just a matter of days, Im going to party my butt off when i hear his disbarment…Jackie, You promised you sue me for "Slander" and "Stalking" , (I’ve actaully called him on his phone, Along with a gamers district here in Central,Fl that helped me get his number.)

Ryno says:

Oh, joyous joyful joy!

Jack called me a moron on gameslaw. So suck it, all you losers who haven’t had a response here.

Just kidding.

And to elaborate on something I put in the shout box: Judge Red Foreman vs. Jack Thompson.

Jack: You’re on her, hehe, the case against me was based on a conspiracy between the games industry, the Florida Bar….

An hour later:

Judge Red: Mr. Thompson, you weren’t disbarred because of a conspiracy. You were disbarred because you’re a dumbass. Dismissed with prejudice.

OK, now add your own take on Red vs JT.

Aliasalpha says:

To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence.

Friedrich Nietzsche

And that’s just for ORDINARY people!

Beacon80 says:

Don’t forget a horrifying lack of respect for the dead.   Anybody remember his comments about the Kuja suicide?  I’ve literally never been as angry as I was when I read that, and I didn’t even know Kuja.

Spartan says:

I’m still waiting for the Fox News special feature on this…

Come on JT dont fail me now!!!

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

Kincyr says:

IOW, the textbook definition of trolling. I just looked it up at various sites to verify that anonymity has nothing to do with it. So technically, the phrase "anonymous troll" is not at all redundant, it just applies to 99.99% of existing internet trolls.

岩「…Ace beats Jack」

Dragunov765 says:

That’s an excellent prediction.

It’s also the same theory that kept Saddam Hussein in power for so long.  They kept wanting to overthrow him, but the people under him were too competent to ever allow them to come to power.

Benji says:

There’s always the possibility that JT has muddied the issue too much, and now anyone that wants to take his place as the chief outspoken video game hater will have to work hard to wash JT’s stink off him/her.  It doesn’t help your position when your opponents in an argument can point out how your former champion is a disbarred attorney, who may or may not have gone completely batshit late in his career.

clownluv247 says:

im not disputing that the man is raving lunatic.That is why he needs to stay around.With an idiot like him leading the charge against video games, we’ll never have anything to worry about.With him gone, another lunatic can step up and lead the charge. and THAT lunatic may actually know how to practice law, act civil towards his fellow man, and actually get the crap he(or she) will spew from thier mouth considered posssibly a sane way to go about things.or maybe im just too paranoid?

Dragunov765 says:

Jack Thompson.

The man who was given the opportunity to make an account at GP and express his views rationally and logically in open forum (and who, by my observation, subsequently chose instead to comport himself as any self-disrespecting 12 year old moron would) is filing a motion to postpone his disbarment because the internet is being mean to him?

How did he manage to pass the bar with these writing abilities?  I’ve seen high school English papers with better diction, professionalism and spelling ability.

I can almost see things from his point of view.  If my entire life’s work was visibly slipping away from me as a result of my own mismanagement, I suppose I would make any last grab at the limelight that I could as well.

There’s always that possibility some advocacy group could come along and hire him (strictly in an advisory capacity, of course, since he won’t be – you know – legally able to practice law anymore).  This advocacy group might even decide they want to pay him for his work.  Granted, that most likely would have happened already but…at his age and skill set, he probably has to take whatever he can get.

Making one last splash in the media is probably less boring than writing out resumés and surfing Jobs.com.

I wonder if he’s even taking into account that the countdown timer (and every statement made about him regarding his legal behavior) is covered under the same First Amendment rights that protected Larry Flynt back in the day.  He has become his own parody.  Aside from all of that, I’m offended that he’s using a legal document to compare himself to Jesus Christ.

He needs to get it in his head that no one is trying to silence him.  There is no suppression of his speech.  He’s not redressing a greivance with the government by suing video game developers and it isn’t the Court’s responsibility to pass legislation anyway.  They’re just trying to get him to stop wasting tax payer money in his numerous frivolous law suits.  I honestly believe, with all my heart, that Jack Thompson should be allowed to say anything he wants about the evils of video games.  That’s his recognized right to free speech.

If he really wants to continue to spew his bias and hatred, he can get a blog, just like everyone else.

Gabriel Celesta says:

You and me both, Tetsuya. You and me both.

Why, Jack? Why would you NEVER reply to even ONE of my posts? Please, Jack… reply! Say SOMETHING to me! Even "Burma Shave"!…

Ah, screw it. >_<

Benji says:

Wouldn’t be surprised.  GP tries to be merciful to JT and the last time he got the banhammer was when he tried to attach GP and Kotaku as defendants in one of his cases on the Florida Bar (or something like that.)  GP lets JT into the house for the most part, but when your houseguests start trying to burn your house down it might be time to review who you open the door for.

cullarn says:

thanx for the info. hey i got an idea have dennis send thank you letters to all proxy companies "for thier help in that one matter" jackie boy will go rabid lol

AuntySocial says:

And the douchebag was able to get a lawyer in good standing with the bar to sign off on it?  I thought that was the only way he could file anything, and I didn’t see another lawyer’s name on that future bird cage liner he calls a motion.

Insanity has its toll. Please have exact change.

BearDogg-X says:

The only difference between Homer Simpson and Jack Thompson is that Homer is smarter.

Back in Black from a forced hiatus by Hurricane Gustav.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

Paul T. Farinelli says:

Ha, Thompson is just like Homer Simpson at times. "Doh! This is everyone’s fault but mine!" (he’s said that in a number of episodes). Except it was funny when Homer said it, while it’s just sad when Thompson does.

Zevorick says:

I agree that it’s a good place to start, and I don’t mind going there myself from time to time, but i’ve literally seen people cite them in some undergraduate research classes. I’m sorry, but when the assignment says in big bold letters "use peer reviewed Psychological Journals only" and you use wikipedia… that’s a failin’ in my book.

Thomas McKenna says:

When it comes to most scientifically provable things, Wikipedia is quite good.  General history is also quite reliable most of the time.  I’ve also gone there quite a few times to get a quick refresher course on some math principles I tend to forget from quarter to quarter (from integration to fourier and la’place).

Basically, I’m trying to say that most bias against wikipedia is unfounded anymore.  There are times when it’s wrong or inaccurate, but the whole idea of an encyclopedia everyone can edit has led to multiple different people correcting each other’s mistakes to get something that’s right through cited sources.  So in the end, Wikipedia is a good place to go to begin with, get your bearings, and then go out from there to do more research for a good number of things.

ezbiker555 says:

I’m glad, I’m not your student. Hahah. No serioulsy, some of the things on wikipedia are not true but most of the time if you check the sources of the information, they match up.

Zevorick says:

I’m just glad I don’t have to grade research papers for undergraduates… If I saw someone citing wikipedia within anything short of a simple homework assignment, I’d fail them on the spot.

DavCube says:

"First off, Wikipedia is NOT a credible source for… anything that isn’t at least a few months old."

Fixed. I mean, come on, i use it for research all the time and works out for me just fine.

Zevorick says:

I’m speechless. I’m utterly speechless. Curse you, EZK! You knew what you were doing when you were commissioned by the Video Game Industry, yes the singular being, to create this program!

Seriously, I’m actually surprised he hasn’t tried to throw the Mormon thing in there, since he’s so obsessed with your religous beliefs. It’s a mormon, video game, homosexual, florida bar, meteorlogical conspiracy to take him down!

Decided to edit since I don’t feel like making a new post for this. "Joining the Jack Thompson Disbarment Watch is http://www.Kotaku.com , owned by Gawker Media, whose president and founder Nick Denton is described at Wikipedia as “openly gay.” This web site, in the midst of its years of its libelous accounts about Thompson’s Bar troubles, has routinely asserted that Thompson is a homosexual. Apparently Mr. Denton wants a tryst."

Dear God, there are so many things wrong with this statement. First off, Wikipedia is NOT a credible source for… anything really, and it is ESPECIALLY not appropriate for a court filing. Second, the sexual orientation of Mr. Denton is in no way relevant to this filing except for giving ground for an offensive, out of left field, joke. Third, he accuses Mr. Denton of libel and yet makes a statement in a court filed document no less, that is equally if not more libelous than the innitial statement. As Inspector Gadget used to say… Wowzers.

BearDogg-X says:

What a crybaby. Maybe he should have bought stock in Pampers diapers or Johnson & Johnson "No More Tears" Baby Shampoo instead.

If Jacky Boy would have practiced what he preached about growing up and getting a life, he wouldn’t have gotten disbarred.

Maybe Thompson should apply for membership to the Delusional Weirdo Society, if he hasn’t already.

Back in Black from a forced hiatus by Hurricane Gustav.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

Inimical says:

When I’m not playing overly violent video games I’m glad that I can come here and read Thompson’s ridiculous court filings.

What a fine world this is.

NovaBlack says:

Despite Mr. Lowenstein’s appearance, below, the

producer for

60 Minutes says Mr. Lowestein travels with his own make-up artist:

yeah jack… all the industry’s fault… not the fact you are unprofessional as that VERY comment shows.

nightwng2000 says:

No, no, Zachary isn’t a volunteer comment mod, he "serves as its chat room mod".  :: Snort!  ::

Now, you guys get together and have your tryst.  :: Not enough LOL in the whole world to cover this. ::

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

GoodRobotUs says:

He just doesn’t get it, because he doesn’t want to, he’s going to find monsters under the bed even if he’s sleeping on the floor.

I don’t know whether he simply ignores fact, or whether he really does believe that we are all somehow in the employ of the mysterious ‘Games Company Executives’, who meet in smoky rooms and plot dominion of the world…

I’ll admit that my own personal choice in this case is to side with the gaming industry, but one only has to read the debates that Thompson doesn’t get involved in, such as Piracy, the DMCA or even PC Gaming to realise that this is far from a coherent group following an Industry-designed agenda, in fact, the ESA, a real Industry body, has even accused us of being the exact opposite, but facts like that fly way over Mr Thompsons’ head, he doesn’t see it because he doesn’t want to see it.

Thompson doesn’t want to accept us as consumers because it would get in the way of his little crusade, so he shuts that thought out, shouts it down, and thinks that if he yells loud enough, everyone else will believe him.

I pity him to be honest, once upon a time, he had a point to make, but now he’s just an ineffectual loudmouth flailing around madly for justification of his own prejudices.

sortableturnip says:

That tiara in your picture on the court filing doesn’t do you justice

Mr. Lowenstein travels with his own make-up artist???  WTF??

Nick Denton is openly gay and wants a tryst????

Rockstar has something on its website stating JT is a bisexual pedophile????

The disbarrment countdown clock is the center of a commerce-driven lynch mob???

Jarmne123 says:

Wow, Jack is definitely getting desperate, and his court filings are more dumber then ever…

Jack, Do us a favour and just accept…Oh wait, you can’t can you? Your mind is just too full of selfish beliefs and lies that you can’t even see reality.

Alevan says:

I got to say. I’m speechless. I’m utterly speechless. I read this blog a lot but I had to come in just to at least say something.

This whole thing is full of failure and lies. Who will he blame next for his own actions?

He needs to learn that what you say or do, will have consequences. He has no one to blame but himself.

Canary Wundaboy says:

Hussh my little Jackie…not long now before this bad dream that WAS your career is over. For all of us.

And when that day is here, you’ll lose every shred of legal protection you currently enjoy…won’t that be fun? I’m just thinking of all those lovely libel cases that have been building over the last few years. =)

Zerodash says:

I am AMAZED at Jack Thompson’s ability to continue to seeming believe his own lies.

Despite being PROVEN WRONG, He still says:

– the ECA is an industry group

– Dennis makes advertising $$ from this very website (despite there being no ads)

– Gawker media is after him because a homosexual is in charge

– V-Tech had something to do with games

– He will still be a lawyer after October 25

BTW Jack, I’m still waiting for that lawsuit against me.  There are several other people on this site who are waiting for theirs too.  What gives?  You weren’t LYING about those, were you?