Are Nukes Why Fallout 3 Won’t Be Released in India?

Citing "cultural sensitivities," GamingIndians reports that Fallout 3 won’t go on sale as scheduled next week in India.

By way of explanation GamingIndians cites a terse statement from Microsoft India, which is – or was – handling Fallout 3 distribution there:

Microsoft constantly endeavors to bring the best games to Indian consumers in sync with their international release. However, in light of cultural sensitivities in India, we have made the business decision to not bring Fallout 3 into the country.

Only the Xbox 360 version was planned for the Indian market.

GP: It’s a bit of a mystery, but if I were a betting man, I’d speculate that Fallout 3’s post-nuclear apocalypse theme has something to do with the decision.

After all, India has been in a stare-down with neighboring Pakistan for decades. Both sides are nuked up and as recently as 2002, almost went to war.

Via: Destructoid

achet says:

“Brahman” refers to both a priestly class, as well as the ultimate reality and supreme truth. I’d say this portrayal in Fallout 3 would cause quite a controversy, though there could be other reasons as well regarding its cancellation in India.
    tratament vergeturi

SS says:

This is stupid.  Cows are sacred but young people won’t care.  Hell, there are plenty of times where I have seen rocks being thrown at cows in India to move them away.  I seriously don’t think this would cause any trouble.  This is not a legitmate reason for them not selling it there.  There is beef eaten in India in quite a few states by non-hindus.  Legally it would probably sell.

Zevorick says:

If it is indeed cows, then I can honestly see this as a legitimate reason to prevent the game from being released there. So all in all, you can’t really fault them for this, or rather you shouldn’t

Tom90deg says:

I don’t think it’s the Nukes. I really think it’s the Cows…But I’ll tell you what, I’m currently living in india, I’ll ask one of my Hindu friends what they would think of it.

If you cannot best a man in argument, all is not lost. You can still call him vile names.

Neo_DrKefka says:

For the Love of Gamepolitics Lord God and Savior Obama are they going to stop the release date of the game and take out the nuke references and give the name of the bombs happy names like they did a couple months ago for the aussies

elal says:

The problem is, even if 99.99999% of people didn’t care, it only takes a few, someone even just one(take a look at our resident attention whore. You know who I mean.) to have a fit and make it a big deal. Can you really bet that absolutely no one will care? I’m not saying it’s right for a tiny minority to bully everyone, but it happens sometimes, especially when dealing with people’s core beliefs, and most companies would want to prevent it.

EDIT:Thought I’d clear something up beforehand incase anyone gets confused at what I meant: Bestheda hasn’t been bullied on the issue, I dont think, but I wanted to point out that such things have the possibility of occuring, and perhaps they or at least, some people in the company, would want to avoid such. Just in case I wasn’t clear

Kajex says:

And this, people, is why some people can’t have nice things. I can’t have KFC without the local PETA group stationed outside every weekend climbing all over me for ordering a 14 piece leg-and-thigh bucket. My roommate can’t have a Hardee’s Monster Burger because some tree-hugging hippy who makes it a point NOT to eat it is jealous that my roomie isn’t forcing himself to not eat it, and thus demands it and all other good fattening AMERICAN food be banned. And India can’t have Fallout 3 because there WILL be a small yet loud-as-hell-and-violent-to-boot group intent on killing any and all associated with the game.

SS says:

I think MS didn’t really think through this.  This seems to be similiar to the LBP thing and unreasonable.  I am Indian and have lived in India and I don’t think this would be insulting.  Ecen if there are two headed cows known as brahmin they could just change the name.  now brahmin is the overarching spirit thing in hinduisim not a priest.

I don’t think Indians would be insulted by that, heck the people who will play the game won’t even care.

LBP and this, lots of self-censorship.  I feel bad for my friends with a xbox 360 in India, it’s a great game.

Aprincen says:

A commenter on another forum pointed towards the Bhopal disaster. The world’s biggest industrial disaster. The surrounding area of a factory was poisoned. People, animals (lots of cattle) and plants died in the thousands. Maybe Indians don’t like a game which uses the same concept (toxic wasteland) as entertainment.

Hitodama says:

I thought it was made up as well, though not by Bethesda. They’re called Brahmin in Fallout 2 as well, so I thought Interplay must’ve come up with it.

I sacrificed a lolcow and asked the Great Wikipedia what it knew about the word "Brahmin". This is what it told me: Brahmin is the class of educators, scholars and preachers in Brahminical Hinduism. It occupies the highest position among the four varnas of Brahminical Hinduism.

The English word brahmin is an anglicised form of the Sanskrit word Brāhman (Brāhman also refers to a mystical concept in Hinduism). Brahmins are also called Vipra "inspired", or Dvija "twice-born".

In the Vedic period, the Brahmins dedicated their life to propagate knowledge and dharma. The Kings paid their respect to their Brahmin gurus and took their advice in ruling. By the time of British Raj, the Brahmins had become a powerful and influential group in India, attracting accusations of discriminating against ‘lower’ castes. In modern India, the Brahmins have complained of reverse discrimination.

Hrm, no wonder. I think I found your problem GP.

face777 says:

Ah, I’m not knowledgable about cattle names, I’m afraid – I thought Bethesda just came up with that name for the mutated species…

saying that, I have a friend over here who is from India and a Hindu who has no problem with the creatures.  Well, the ones which aren’t suffering Mad Cow Disease and charging you at any rate! 😉

Globeman says:

No, the Fallout 3 decision for India had nothing to do with nukes. The explanations here related to the brahmin cows is much more reasonable and probable. You can diss people for being too sensitive, but it is what it is. Maybe Bethesda should have thought about that if India was an intended market.

Keith K says:

You may be right.

I wonder if the game will be released in Pakistan as if to say "This is what awaits you if you decide you want to be the Prick of the World."

Larington says:

If I remember correctly, the health department (or whatever) did go in and perform the cull, with support of the police, all the supporters of the cow were able to do were sing songs and, err, get carried away (Literally, not figuratively).

Geoff says:

Hmmm…I think it may have to do with the cows depicted in the game more than anything else, especially if they named it after the sacred cows of India.  At least that seems to make the most sense to me.  I’m not sure how well received the game would have been if they called mutant cows after the sacred species in India.  It is also much more likely if there’s a mission in the game where you have to kill said cows, or if you can just kill them anyway regardless.

I’m not really buying the nuke idea.  For all the drama that surrounds two opposing nations having nukes there is a very, very low chance of a nuclear exchange happening between said nations.  Oddly enough it was Max Brook’s "World War Z" that presented this argument to me.  Whenever two feuding nations such as India and Pakistan (or the US and USSR) are both armed with nukes an entire system emerges with the sole purpose of preventing either nation firing of a nuke.  The nation’s leaders have phones that go directly to the office of the other leader, ambassadors make frequent visits, etc.  There’s still a chance of a "Dr. Strangelove"-type of situation happening, but typically a network is in place to prevent that from happening.

"Hi, Demitri?  Yes, well, one of our generals went and did a…silly thing."

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

elal says:

I’d put my money on the cows. Probably it would have been less of an issue if the cows weren’t called brahmin.

Bestheda’s done semi-offensive stuff before, but maybe they’re just being extra careful. People get more offended from religious stuff than than violence

Father Time says:

They chose not to sell it India because they thought the Indians wouldn’t like the game or would be offended by it. As far as I know there wasn’t a big campaign of people trying to stop the game’s release there or pressure Microsoft into changing the game.

Hell it’s entirely possible that they could’ve released the game and only a few people would’ve been turned off by it. However they figured a lot of people would be turned off by it and didn’t bother releasing it.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

bwmcadams says:

By the way – I caught the Fallout 3 commercial last night during the daily show.  it’s the old one that they released as a teaser, that zooms out of the bus.

I could have SWORN the original had a very recognizable immistakable US Capitol building in the background when it zooms out to the soldier.  The commercial shown last night had the Washington Monument instead – and only vaguely recognizable.

Am I crazy, or was it originally the Capitol building?  Changed for sensitivities, or faulty memory?

face777 says:

I think I remember that, but didn’t they agree to the cull because they didn’t want it to suffer? Or am I giving a religion too much credit here? Or was that an earlier case?

Larington says:

There was an instance in Wales (Part of United Kingdom IF you aren’t up on your european geography) recently where health inspectors found a sacred cow had an infectious disease (I think it might have been bovine TB) and there was a fair amount of controversy over the slaying of a sacred cow due to the infection.

With that in mind, I can see why there might be hesitation regarding the cow thing.

Eville1 says:

To be fair, that particular species of cow are always called Brahmin. They’re sacred. The fact that it’s two headed (not a new species of two headed cow called a Brahmin is my point.) is what they might consider offensive.

face777 says:

I read a comment somewhere else where it was suggested it was because FO3 features mutated cows, called brahmin. In India, many people still revere cows…