Reward Posted for Missing Canadian Gamer; Police Endorse CoD4 Addiction Theory

Canada’s National Post reports that a $10,000 reward has been offered in the Brandon Crisp case. The teen went missing 10 days ago following a family dispute.

As GamePolitics has reported, Brandon’s parents maintain that he was addicted to Call of Duty 4 and they have linked his game play to his disappearance. The local police department seems to be adopting that theory as well. The Ottowa Citizen today quotes Barrie P.D. Sgt. Dave Goodbrand:

Probably correctly, the police doubt that Brandon would log in under a new account:

From my understanding, he has worked so hard to build his [in-game] credibility, and if you start a new profile, you have to start at the bottom.

GP: Anyone with information concerning Brandon Crisp’s whereabouts is requested to contact the Barrie P.D.

Austin_Lewis says:

I seem to recall this as well

You know, the contract that said they would only show up on Oprah’s show in America?  Which doesn’t strike me as something concerned parents would do.

As for the other two being corrected, do you have links?

Mind you, my point still stands; I was talking about how you have to look at the parents before its too late.

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Pug says:

Sorry to get picky over this, but both of those things were reported by foreign press, repeated here… and then quietly corrected as most of these things are.  The parents never suggested that their youngest be in a film, and when question on this they stated that they were disguisted by the very idea.

The thing about the blood was reported in the portuguese press as a match, but British Forensic tests on the sample were inconclusive and stated that the blood could be from any number of people… infact they pointed out that several people in the lab were as good a match for the sample as the young girl was.  This seemed to be enough for the press to report it as a "Match" in headlines and then say "but unlikely to be her" in the story.

A lot of stuff around the Mccan case seemed incredibly dodgy, but the press made an utter farce of it, every tiny thing became possible evidence against someone, their friends, them, random locals..

magic_taco says:

‘Steve and Angelika Crisp say that for the past three years, their son has been obsessed with playing an online game called Call of Duty 4"

Okay? I believe it has already came to some people saying this is utter BS, kid played COD4 for 3 years?, Dont think so, COD4 came out in 07, And does canada  law enforcement have a Sex offender Registery? Cause i dont see why the police have or havent bother to checked through their files abouty that, I do actually blame the parents for the lack of responsibility for their son’s disapearance,Video games are not an addiction compared to real people dying out there from drugs and alcohol, or someone with an eating disorder.

NovaBlack says:

I submitted a comment on Brads site.

Has to be moderated though.  If he wants to prove he isnt a sbad as JT he should let me sensible comment pointing out his mistakes through

NovaBlack says:

wtf just noticed in the national post story up top..

”Steve and Angelika Crisp say that for the past three years, their son has been obsessed with playing an online game called Call of Duty 4, often until 4 a.m. Friends have told officers they have had no contact with him. "

how is that possible….

and i TOTALLY cannot accept ‘oh they got the game mixed up’ . If your kids is so ‘addicted’ and your so worried (naturally) you do all the research you can!.

To make a mistake that big, to know so adamantly that your son is ‘addicted’ to games, and that its causing huge problems, but then not even have a clue what he was playing just seems WIERD. Im sorry but even if i didnt know about games, i could pick up the box, look at it, so at least i knew WHAT he was playing…

…At least if im going to come out and say unequivocally that its ‘games’ fault, and not just any game, but a particular game, COD 4, im sorry, but id have to KNOW that it was that games fault. This just sounds… WIERD.

why dont the police investigate this really odd fact? i mean yeah it could be an innocent mistake.. but then to get it that wrong (for a period of 3 YEARS when apparently you watched your kid suffer from an ‘addiction’)  is just totally strange.

NovaBlack says:

@ exGamer

‘again, the parents had a problem with the amount of time their son was spending online. They responded. What else were they to do?’

how about NOT PACK THE KIDS BAG FOR HIM!!!!!

i like how you call us ‘trolls’ and ignore a) all the positive suggestions on the forum, taking about 3 quotes some, very out of context.

Im sorry but the first quote about the father being inept… it was in the context of a large recurring notion in these brandon stories about the father packing the kids bag…

so what ? yout saying that was GOOD parenting? *sigh* now whose the ‘troll’

oh ps.. could you please allow my comment on your site. thanks. Interesting how you approve them all for moderation before submitting them so that those people who arent the monsters you make them out to be cant post.

NovaBlack says:

Every day gets more and more concerning for his safety, especially with no contact. We’re not getting any contact from his (computer) user accounts and his video-game accounts. And that’s concerning because he was so addicted and he left home because of that.”

see now im annoyed..

if he completely hasnt played… then im sorry he cant be that ‘addicted’ can he.. seriously.. how can they blame game addiction. Its like blaming drugs when a drug addict runs away from home, and for some reason is so addicted, they leave all their drugs behind and run off without knowing if they will be able to find other access to them. Oh and running away is not the fault of the ‘drugs’ its the fault of the person.

If somebody is a drug addict, you tell them its up to THEM to sort it out, and they have to take responsibility. you dont say ‘there there, it isnt your fault, is all the drugs, lets go shout at the manufacturers’ . same with alcohol . So why with games is it viewed like ‘games caused this’

Thing is if he hasnt played since he went missing, and something else more serious has happend (and i sincerely hope it hasnt), then thats nothing to do with ‘game addiction’ . the fact hes missing has EVERYTHING to do with the fact his dad was irresponsible calling the kids bluff and packing the bag for him.

in short WHY are they continuing to peddle this ‘he was SO addicted’ myth. if somebody runs AWAY from the thing they are ‘addicted’ to, and doesnt seek out more, then im sorry the EVIDENCE says that they arent really addicted.

NovaBlack says:

‘As GamePolitics has reported, Brandon’s parents maintain that he was addicted to Call of Duty 4′

but that makes no sense… COD 4 wasnt out when he got his xbox and apparently hes been addicted since 2006.. im confused here. They also said it was WW2 themed… :S

of course theres only one original xbox COD (finest hour) and im pretty sure he wouldnt have been addicted to that (im almost certain the official servers wont be up for it now!)

Zevorick says:

Nice taking my joke out of context. This isn’t a matter of video games. In fact, I don’t think anyone of us here knows for sure what exactly caused this kid to run away, but it’s obvious it wasn’t just an xbox. If you honestly want to know why people are suspecting the parents, read my comments, along with Austin, and a number of others, in the previous articles. There IS legitimate reason to suspect the parents of foul play in a very large number of cases like this… It’s sad but true.

I won’t get on that soap box again, but before you take something I say out of context again, you should at least know the reason behind them so you know the best way to take them out of context :p

mogbert says:

I’m seeing a couple of issues with the story. I’m not saying that the story is saying anything wrong, but a number of things stood out that weren’t being highlighted enough, I think.

1: After he was grounded and the game taken away, he went looking for it, took it back, and started playing it again. This would be grounds for a butt whoopin’ when I was growing up. The minimum would be the complete destruction of whatever was previously taken away. When I had something taken away, it often wasn’t hidden or even moved, I just wasn’t allowed to interact with it. This shows more then a small amount of disobediance.

2: The father letting the kid, even helping him, pack and run away. Sure, it’s standard with the parents always figuring that the kid would come crawling back, but in truth it is VERY irresponsable.

3: The kids bike being left in the ditch. This to me looks like a bad sign, unless he is used to treating his stuff like this. It makes me feel that something has happened to the kid, but I doubt it was from the game. Likely someone saw him in his whole "running away" set up and picked him up.

I played in a FPS clan a few years ago, and someone online should be able to see what clan he was playing with. When they do, there is usually a forum (any clan worth it’s salt has a forum). After all, if he was picked up by this other mystery clan, how did he contact them, the game had already been taken away? Most clans mates don’t live a bike ride away, or even close enough to meet up on short notice. I just don’t see the whole "kiddnapped through the game" theory washing. I would expect it is more a thing of a local opertunistic kidnapper picked the kid up, or he is hiding out at a friends in order to make his parents sad. I think they are overstating his adiction in order to try and justify the kids behavior, so I don’t think him not playing is an indication that he isn’t just hiding out. Both of thos scenarios are a lot more likely then CoD clan Mates kidnapping him.

Austin_Lewis says:

Hey exgamer.  I know, don’t let me knock you off your high horse or anything, but you’re the kind of people the world needs less of.  No, let’s buy into the father’s story, and ignore the fact that this matches no addiction case I’ve ever heard of (PROTIP: IF SOMEONE IS BEING DENIED ADDICTION AT LOCATION A (THEIR HOUSE) THEY WILL RESUME ADDICTION AT LOCATION B (WHEREVER THEY GO)) and place the blame squarely on the ‘addictiveness of videogames’.

We have no reason to suspect anyone else at this stage my ass.  When a child goes missing, the FIRST THING YOU SHOULD DO IS TRAIL THE PARENTS 24/7.  YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE KILLED BY YOUR OWN PARENTS THAN BY ANYONE OUTSIDE OF THE HOME.  Of course, once again, don’t let the facts stand in the way of you looking down on us small minded people with our doctorates and whatnot.  Let me tell you what ‘considering the (alleged) anguish of the famliy’ for a minute will get you; a great sob story and another unsolved murder.

Police agree that videogaming was involved?  Oh, well, the police say it, so it must be true.  Nevermind that the father helped his son pack, that doesn’t point to bad parenting at all. Of course, you don’t really care if you can color videogamers as addicts protecting their hobby, right?  You are every bit as bad as Jack Thompson, and I don’t know how you can get up and look in the mirror.

You know what?  You may have had an addiction, and that sucks for you.  But the vast majority of the 93% of Americans 10 to 18 who play videogames don’t have an addiction to videogames, so don’t color reality with you inability to figure out when to shut the game off.  Just because you’re weak minded or find yourself easily addicted to things, don’t project that on everyone else.

In summation, get off your high horse; you’re a far worse person than most of the people on this forum, and about on the same level as Jack Thompson.

Austin_Lewis says:

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Turnip, you need to tell me what filetypes you use when you post pics, I don’t wanna rely on you for FacePalm pics.

GoodRobotUs says:

Nice selective copy pasting, I’m not insulted by you ignoring all the helpful posts at all…

There’s more than one example of a ‘society in decline’, and one of those is picking one group and deliberately presenting facts in such a manner as to make them look far worse than they actually are, based on the actions of a few.

I’ve done nothing but try to provide thoughts and ideas that might help, and yet you’ve chosen to totally ignore posts like that in your blog, tell me, why is that? Wasn’t it controversial enough? Wouldn’t it make enough people angry at us?

Great job trying to help addicted gamers there…

Erik says:

You linked to this story of yours already just a few posts back.   I’d say you have a new addiction.  That often happens when people overcome old ones.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

I checked you quoted me in your blog. You are right in many things about this matter. It´s wrong in many levels. But my statement is not some attempt to blame parents or just being sarcastic for fun.

We don´t know the whole story in here. But in some cases, the worst case scenario tends to be the right one, and sometimes, when a child dissapears, it´s always the worst case scenario.

If you check, the fathers blamed videogames at least twice over his missing son. He said his son was an addict and he reached to the conclusion. He is almost screaming "it´s not my fault, he is an addict and he run away and it´s not my fault.

I don´t care if he is blaming games, drougs, republicans, mexicans or aliens. He is blaming something else. He is also blaming his own son.

I don´t know how his son is either. Maybe is just a kid with problems, or maybe is a total dickhead and his is just hidden giving a bad time to everyone, but that possibility is really remote.

AND YOU DIDN´T QUOTED ME ENTERILY and edited this:

I really hope not…

The cynical side of videogames (spanish only): My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship):

Erik says:

How amusing that I’ve been quoted.  Really darling though that you ironically are the one who does not have his facts straight.  Here a little help:

" "I told him he wouldn’t be getting his Xbox back. He said, `Then I’m going to leave home.’"

Steve called his son’s bluff and even helped him pack his knapsack. "

THAT is what I was refering to.  THAT is child endangerment.  But of course you didn’t bother to get your facts straight before you made your little blog post now did you?  But don’t worry too much about it you just deemed me guilty until proven innocent right?

EDIT: Furthermore your site makes me laugh.  Video game related deaths?  Really and just how big is that list?  Oh right, zero.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

DarthCadeous501 says:

I highly doubt that just having "Call of Duty" removed from him made him run away. Maybe it could be spark that helped stoke the fire, but I highly doubt not being able to play the game caused him to just up and leave. I would check with the parents as well as this video game claim.

Oh and nice little piece about the comments on GamePolitics Brad, but what does that have to contribute ti finding this kid? Nothing.

So, as someone who has suffered from an addiction to computer games, I’d like to ask you, could you have managed to just run off like this and not have any gaming activity on old or new accounts?

-Remember kids, personal responsibility is for losers! Jack Thompson is still a dick…

Serrenity says:

Tis a Sad thing.  This doesn’t add up.

I’m afraid for this child

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Krishnamurti

Soooo….He’s addicted, but not enough to go someplace where there’s an X-Box, nor enough to start a new account? Hmmmm….Rorschach is perplexed….

Honestly…the father is drawing my attention…

doewnskitty says:

It always bothers me when I read how situations like this are often attributed to a single, lone factor.  It rarely ever is the case that one single factor had a role in creating the situation.  Rather, it’s more often than not that it’s a confluence of factors, and there certainly is likely more to the story than what has been told.

In all the news accounts, there really hasn’t been anything else said about the relationship of the kid to the parents except the video game angle, has there?

I would more likely lay heavy odds on it being more the straw that broke the camel’s back.  But of course, like that one South Park episode, they want to point it all at one thing furthest away from themselves, lest they look like bad parents.

For all we really know about it, the way the kid probably feels about the situation is that leaving home or staying is the choice between a different shade of shit.

What a lousy mess.

BearDogg-X says:

If he was truly "addicted" as the police and parents claim, you would think that he probably would start over under a new profile.

The police should look more into the father. Seems to me he knows more than what he’s telling.

Back in Black from a forced hiatus by Hurricane Gustav.

Saints(0-3), LSU(3-0)

DeepThorn says:

They seriously need to treat it as kidnap because that is what everything is pointing as, that or the father did something to him out of anger because of the whole situation would be my guess if the father over reacted as much as he did and packed his bags for him.

These police are idiots, the parents are idiots, and anyone who thinks that it was "because of the video games" are idiots.  If he hasnt logged on any messengers, and hasn’t used his live account, then it was NOT because of addiction.  Any idiot that could still think it is that should be pistol whipped in the head.

Everything points to him still being near home to me or actually kidnapped with no video game involvement…

The sickest thing here is that they are going to keep saying it was because of video games just like Virgina Tech where it turned out the kid never played video games, whenever I hear a news person talk about it they still say it was because of video games.  It will turn out the kid actually left because of an abusive father, and ended kidnapped by someone that doesn’t even own a TV or computer.  Then 10 years after they find all this out they will still blame it on the damn video games.

Maybe if they got their heads out of their asses they would be able to figure out what really happened and find the damn kid.

Kris says:

I would assume the same.  And the fact that he hasn’t logged on anywhere else should be rining a lot of bells.  He might have run away initially, which would have made for an easy kidnapping.

Zevorick says:

but…. but… video games! Video games did it

/froth at mouth

Vidya games dit it!!! Vidya games dit it!!!! If I say it enough someone’ll believe me!!!!!

or not.

Erik says:

So its the games fault then and not his inept father?  Yeah, I’m not buying it.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Andrew Eisen says:

From the Ottowa Citizen:

"Brandon’s parents, Steve and Angelika Crisp, say they think he may have run away from home after they took away his video games. They say that, for the past three years, their son has been obsessed with playing an online game called Call of Duty 4, often until 4 a.m."

I don’t think so.  Call of Duty 4 released less than a year ago.

Andrew Eisen

cullarn says:

at the risk of being rude where are the blood hounds? they can track scents that are days even weeks old

if your trying to do a search and rescue why not get a search and rescue dog!

or are we too busy trying to figure out who to blame

barra_sadei says:

Wasn’t it concluded that it wasn’t Call of Duty 4, but one of the earlier installments? Even with that besides the point, I think there’s something missing overall from this story. The kid up-and-leaves only because his video games were taken away from him? Smokers going cold-turkey at least get snappy and irritable after a bit. I think there’s some domestic issues further behind this story.

E. Zachary Knight says:

I completely agree. If this kid left home because his games were taken away, he would have gone somewhere where he could play that game. Meaning a friend’s house.

There is no way an addicted person would just up and leave the object of their addiction.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page:
    Facebook Page:

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Andrew Eisen says:

Sorry but this I-left-home-where-my-Xbox360-is-to-go-somewhere-else-and-not-play-CoD4-because-I’m-addicted-to-CoD4 does not make a lick of sense to me.

Andrew Eisen