Missing Gamer Search Now Focusing on Xbox Live

After failing to locate Brandon Crisp despite more than a week of intensive searching, police are reportedly focusing their investigation on the missing gamer’s Xbox Live account.

This morning’s Toronto Star reports that the cyber crimes unit of the Ontario Provincial Police will attempt to identify members of Brandon’s Xbox Live Call of Duty 4 clan. Barrie P.D. spokesman Sgt. Dave Goodbrand told the Sun that Microsoft has agreed to breach its normal privacy protocols in the hunt for the missing 15-year-old:

In related news, GamePolitics spoke with Sgt. Goodbrand last night and learned that police are not releasing Brandon’s Xbox Live gamertag. While the gamertag would give concerned gamers a starting point from which they could explore online resources in the search for Brandon, law enforcement officials fear that the information may be misused. There could also be important investigative reasons. It is not unusual for certain pieces of information to be withheld from the public in major cases.

How might gamers help? Although the circumstances are much different – and infinitely more serious – in Brandon’s case, here’s one example: Crime File: Global Gamer Community Tracks Down Xbox Live Thieves.

Erik says:

Ugh, the more they speak the more they just come off as ignorant luddites who are trying to shift the blame to anything else.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

"Oh my GOD. I get it now. The parents said he’s been addicted to COD4 longer than it’s been out, which means he got an early copy, which suggests he has connections with the developers! He’s with the developers playing COD5!!!!!!!! JT was right, the mutha fuckas is in a conspiracy!"

Dude. Decaff.

"I’m going to hell for that joke, aren’t I?"

I doubt it. You have a better chance at getting the BanHammer from Dennis than you do at going to Hell for that.

"In all seriousness though, this shit doesn’t seem to be helping too much. The police need to reign this back in and get everyone’s shit together. All this theatrical crap is just fucking it all up."

LaxGamer34 says:

Typical attitude of today’s world: dont blame yourself for what your kid does, blame it on an outside source and play the helpless victim of their child’s actions. Our society as a whole has gone down the sh!tter.

Now, back on topic: It seems that, if he is ever found (which I hope is sooner rather than later), the police dont want to give out his gamertag so they can take all the credit and continue to blast gamers in general. But on the other hand there are some people out there who, if the gt was released, would probably hack it or whatever those kinds of people do with stolen information.

But the majority of gamers are helpful (aside from the pre-pubescants that ruin online gaming for everyone) and they would most likely team up to help find this kid. I really hope he’s found soon and safe

DeniseLaFrance says:

Let’s blog EVERYWHERE call of Duty gamers go–to pages with cheats etc…and blog on Myspace abd send bulletins with Brandon Crisp’s picture…SOMEONE has seen him…let’s bring this mystery to light and–everyone should know Microsoft has offered a humungous cash reward…something to come in handy to gamers…so start blogging and talking and let’s not stop till we bring this teen safely home to his loving family in Barrie Ontario, Canada. Go to ALL sites you can think of…and talk about this online while you are gaming…does anyone know Brandon Crisp’s gamer name? Check all chat forums about this game Call of Duty.  Sure–it sucks he couldn’t play as much as he wanted to…but let’s FOCUS…Brandon–we can work this out…your Mom and Dad love you and your friends are worried. I’m a Mom and I can imagine how you must feel right now…call your parents please. Your Dad and Mom feel just terrible…just call them…even if it’s from a phone booth.

Thank you.

HarmlessBunny says:

No worries no worries. I understood what you meant (I’m from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada). I do agree the Barrie Police and Press…should really research their video game angle (actually who cares if he is obsessed with a game? JUST LOOK FOR THE KID) and stop listening to self proclaimed experts (ref: look up IDIOT, FAILURE, and DISBARRMENT) like Jack, and go 150% to looking for the kid. It has been 2 weeks… we can always lay blame AFTER he is found…

KatOuz says:

A quote from Brandon’s father in the Oct. 22 Toronto Star:

"I’m worried he has met someone online through this game. It could be organized crime or someone involved in Internet gambling."

Worrying about who your child talks to online is a legitimate concern, but…organized crime? REALLY?

Article from today’s Star that focuses primarily on the volunteer searches up in Barrie over the weekend:

Note the "Specials" side bar on the right hand side of the page–one of the articles is (partially) about family bonding around Rock Band 2.

Zerodash says:

Exactly how close and organized is the COD4 community?  Do they have XBL chat lobbies?   Are there official forums?  Was this kid part of any COD4 forums?

I am only familiar with the Halo community (as far as XBL games go), and most of the community socializing aspects stem from bungie.net.

Demontestament says:

"Brandon’s dad made a plea to Microsoft. This is an exigent circumstance, where it’s a kid you’re searching for. This isn’t the same as other criminal investigations, where you’re looking for evidence… [Brandon] was getting good enough that there’s a possibility he was expanding into other clans."

I hope I am looking too far into that comment, I hope they are not actually thinking that his clan members could have killed or kidnapped him because he was thinking of joing another clan.

shobidoo says:

if he was addicted too video games wich i think does happen but it aint the games fault and i dont think this kid was if he was he woudnt have left the 360 behind.

i hope this boy gets found

Send Rorschach! He’ll find him…and kill a fuck load of people along the way…and then get vaporized by a naked blue guy…

He was a pretty damn good crazy detective…

-Remember kids, personal responsibility is for losers! -The Buck Stops Here. -Thou Shall Not Teamkill, Asshole.

nightwng2000 says:

I don’t think many people are getting the point.

The release of the Gamertag isn’t to decide when he last logged on, it’s to let the community that might have known him identify specifically who he was so that those who did know him will be able to think of the person they knew and whatever communications they had with that individual in case he shared some clue as to where he may have gone.  Whether it was to be with someone he knew or if he might of let slip a secret hiding place he might go by himself.

I suggested that on the Facebook site and suggested 2 versions:

One was an actual release of the Gamertag, which many seem to not want to directly make use of a portion of the online community that would have obviously known him well, it’s still quicker than either the second option or waiting for Microsoft and the police to cut through that red tape.

The second option is to merely suggest publically that any online COD4 players who noticed that a teammate or regular opponent that went missing almost a couple of weeks ago, check in with the police department, especially if they might have some ideas from prior conversations where Brandon might be.  After nearly 2 weeks, even weak leads would be helpful.

Of course, some folks are so up in arms over the release of the Gamertag, as if everyone online were some sort of criminal and shouldn’t be trusted, that they pretty much overlooked the second option.

I even pointed out that they didn’t have to like the online community in general, because what was more important is finding Brandon.  The online community, whether XBox Live or other groups have helped close friends that are online for a long time.  Whether they get to know the person they are helping or not, contrary to popular belief and misconception, many online folks are good, honorable, helpful folks.

Some will track you down if you go missing out of concern.  Even if you go "missing" because of financial reasons and can’t stay online, one does make friends online who DO care about you.

Many times, those type of situations don’t end up in the news or discussion groups.  They don’t get talked about because they aren’t "sensationalistic" enough for people to read about.

But they do happen, and the Crisps shouldn’t miss out on ANY reasource, especially at this point.

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Aliasalpha says:

While it’s an excellent thing that gamers want to help by looking for the gamertag, it’d be pointless and not as good as a single script run on the XBL servers.

All the xbox live data would be stored in a microsoft SQL database within a centralised (or at least networked) server cluster and a basic script (for example: select * from LOGINS where GAMERTAG=’brandoncrisp’) could be automated to run every 30 minutes to an hour to report the last login time & IP address. Infinitely more efficient than managing the reports of potentially 14 million xbox live gamers. It also removes the whole potential abuse of the gamertag thing.

If microsoft are even close to competent (and they certainly aren’t useless), they’ll have been running such a script since the whole thing started.

Lucid says:

When kids used to go missing, you’d put their name and face on posters, milk cartons, anything for the chance somebody might identify them and let the authorities know.

Nowadays, you hide as much information as you can from the public, because the public can’t be trusted to alert the authorities? I don’t know where the logic is behind this one.

ezbiker555 says:

Woah woah man, calm down, my fault for not being clear, I know your on my side. What I meant was the people up in canada such as the parents and police and the press! Dam I really need to be more clear.

Mechadon says:

Excuse me??? I’m Canadian!!! This incident is happening just kilometers North of where I live. *looks out window* HEY IS THAT HIM THERE!?? No it’s just a dog.

Point is, you shouldn’t be chastizing EVERYONE IN CANADA. I’m with you on this too. *please read my previous posts here*

finaleve says:

Its a tough call to make, but I think not releasing the gamertag is somewhat a good idea.  However, the fact that this person might actually be in our friends list is kinda nerve wrecking.

But the idea that M$, the company at the helm of all of XBL, well it makes a lot of sense.  They can easily focus on that specific name without the traffic of other users.
    Its not a bright idea because of the simple fact that one little slip up could screw the entire case over.  Extra eyes and the knowledge of his name could blow the case wide open, anywhere OUTSIDE XBL, which is what they should be concerned of.

But I’m not the leader of the case, so I can’t really put my 2 cents in.  I should get my lawyer degree and call myself an expert on video games.

I’m going to hell for that joke, aren’t I?

ezbiker555 says:

Things that the everyone up in canada need to get straight

1. dont listen to jt

2. get the right name of the game and stop jumping on the most recent one

3. realize that the parents are at major fault

4. stop wasting time

AM I right to say that?

Shadow Darkman Anti-Thesis of Jack Thompson says:

Solipsis says:

I love that microsoft is trying to help, but doesn’t it almost look like they’re admitting fault with putting up some of the reward? Like "hey, this kid went missing and we made him do it… better find him before we get in trouble…"

Phalanx says:

For all we know, it could be Unreal Tournament, Gears of War or Sally’s Happy Online Cake Baking Game.  These parents obviously have no idea what their son does in his life.

txshurricane says:

No, I’m still not buying it. In every other instance, an army of Live trolls would rise up to claim that her statements are ill-informed and misleading, but suddenly today she’s competent?

NovaBlack says:

really your not?

”’She insists her son was taken by some misfit teammate who may be participating in a bizarre video game that has somehow crossed over into reality.”

Im sorry, that statement alone, is enough for the average parent to hear and think wow, this game is messed up, it must be something in the game making them do it.

txshurricane says:

I’m still not getting "the game is at fault" from those statements. She’s blaming HIM for being addicted, and HIS LIVE COHORTS, but not the game itself.

DeepThorn says:

‘She insists her son was taken by some misfit teammate who may be participating in a bizarre video game that has somehow crossed over into reality. Crisp said her son was "addicted" to the terrorist war game, Call of Duty, and might have met up with team players online. "I think someone has him," Crisp said.’

The mom blames the people he played with, the game, Live.

Truec says:

Do you not pay attention, or do you just lack reading comprehension?  The parents have done nothing other than blame the game, the other people who play the game, Microsoft, and anybody else as long as they don’t have to claim any responsibility for their kid running away.

DeepThorn says:

Damaging a child psychologically isn’t the only reason why kids shouldn’t play M rated games.  The maturaty level of the child and playing any violent game has it’s results, typically in increased aggression.  If his parents were so worried about people he was playing with online, they were NOT around enough to prevent it and should have attacked the problem far earlier.

My new question is, have they just recently been worried about the people online all across the world, or is this a long term worry they have had? If it is something they have has for a long time, then they should have taken it away a long time ago.

I am not saying it is less or more likely to be addicted.  This is NOT a game you typically see people get addicted to.  You typically see people get addicted to online MMOs, maybe a few shooters, but you are more likely to see someone addicted to Spore than CoD.  I am doubting the addiction due to the game in question, and the kid’s actions.  Why would he run off away from his tools of addiction?  It isn’t like everyone has a X360, or that they are cheap to get.  After that you still need an online connection too.

The peices of the puzzle just don’t fit.

I still have other key questions…  When and how did the child contact someone from Live to be taken away like his parents are suggesting?  When was the last time they moved, and how far away apart are those locations if within the past 10 years?  When did the ‘addiction’ start, and what other signs were shown that would hint toward addiction?  How many friends did this kid have at school or that he regularly hang out with?  What was the conversation the lady had with the boy that spotted him after he left home?  What exactly was the game in question?  Was is CoD4, though I doubt it, unless they are talking about 2 game and never clearified?

If he had few to no friends at school, then I could see their "someone he played with online took him" story more likely, but not even close to the odds of it being some random person picked him up after his dad encouraged him to leave by packing the kid’s bags.  Other signs of addiction and when it started would be other key things that might be able to support that story, but I am doubting it.

Addiction isn’t instant when it comes to video games though.  It takes at least a little bit of time.  Most cases I have seen, it has taken around 6 months, give or take a month, some cases only 3 months.

txshurricane says:

Being under the age of 17 doesn’t mean that he’s more or less succeptible to addiction, and it doesn’t mean that an M-rated game is going to damage him psychologically.

What if he was 17? Would your post still apply?

DeepThorn says:

Luckily we are getting older, growing in numbers and having more control over many elements of the world.  I think it is beyond too late for them to try to pull us through the mud, because we can and will fight back, and with greater power.

DeepThorn says:

Debatable due to the fact it got to the point of ‘addiction’ if it even did, there is no professional opinion on weither this is actually true.  Even at that he was evidently playing a mature rated game without parental supervision.  The judgement of the father still stumps me on why he would pack the bags for his son.  Under no circumstance would I do that.  I would not allow him to leave the house other than to go to school if there was an arguement, but mostly not let him leave that night.  People get over arguements over night.  Either way, there is more to the story or else I can not see the rationality behind the child leaving, addicted or not.

Mechadon says:

Thanks for clearing that up for the rest of them. It’s exactly what I meant. To the parents and police, the gaming community is a force working against them. Both have motive for not supplying the gamertag. The police want the credit for themselves. And it would also go against the basis of the parent’s arguments against there own son. On my local news station, the story has risen to the point of COD4 video being displayed as if to say: "Be on the look out! If you see this game…" This is an example of the certain avenues this story should not have taken if only the parents weren’t still trying to make a case against the gaming community.

Kids run away from home because of arguments all the time. How many times do you hear about the subject of the argument? It’s usually mentioned but forgotten. From day one, I have seen these parents as cowards, trying to shift the blame. They still want to be the winners of the argument that caused their son to leave them. If the kid comes back they still want to be able to say that they’re right, that the gaming community is evil. And they can’t say that if we end up help them.

Mark my words; this isn’t over when it’s over. There is a case being built against us. Gamers are going to be dragged through the mud one way or another. Be ready.

… And me? Jack Thompson? I think I deserve an apology.

txshurricane says:

Brandon’s parents did very well…whether or not their decision was the BEST decision, at least they tried, which is more than can be said for many parents.

Flamespeak says:

I believe he is stating how the police and parents feel about gamers.

Kind of a whole, "If it weren’t for you button mashing losers, my son would be home right now." and "Damn gamers have caused a kid to go missing." kind of mentality might be present.

Despite the fact that odds are a lot of the people searching for the kid on the police force and the volunteer groups statistically have to be gamers as well.

sqlrob says:

Not common multiplied by many = common.

The internet is wide. I can think of at least one mentally unstable person that might be tempted for the vigilante option given that he has plenty of free time. He’s not the only one. How much happened in the suicide instance? Quite a bit.

What can individuals do that Microsoft can not? The servers can immediately alert the police. What is gained by having many fallible eyes when there is one infallible one?

Ghost Coins says:

I would recommend that the gamertag be released under the informed function that his tag in-game will be tied to several other internet usernames.  Most likely his gamertag is something he is dearly  tied to.  Insomuch as it is most likey his username on several other forums (we are all guilty of this at one point or another).  Forums that Microsoft will not find in the xbox360 or the mother and the father are familiar with.  That information alone would open the case to gamers who could scour the net for users who had similar tags if not the same tag, and find additional information regarding conversation or websites for the police to hone in on.

We have, so far to my knowledge, treated this young man as if his internet browsing habits went so far as a Call of Duty game.  By discrediting the notion that there are ni other connetions to the internet in his home I would like to postulate on the function of checking the family computer, his computer (if he had an independent one), and, if an independent computer exsisted, checking the routers log to see where this young man has been…assuming the family turned on the log function when they set it up.

I would also recommend that the police check his school’s electronic records for the computers in the library and any labs.  locating a point in time when the clan’s website or a Call of Duty website was accessed from the school network might very well give insight into other sites were visited by that user.  Considering the isolated nature of this young man’s "addiction" one could use that information to weed out a list of sites visited from school, should he have done that.  A simple phone call to the school and their IT folk would have that ball rolling, and little to no police manpower would be burned waiting for the results.

We are left salivating over the concept that the police are focused soley on the xbox360, and given no indication that they are taking their investigation online.  I would conceed that they are most likely doing what I say, or have already done so and are following up on such.  However, if they have narrowed their vision to just the Xbox360, and forsaken any other venue of investigation, then there could indeed be trouble down the line.  Moreso if the Sheriff, who spoke to a now disbarred Lawyer who claimed to be an "expert" on the matter, listened to said expert, and directed his men away from other venues of inquiry.  I fear that this may be a time when an uninformed official listend to a supposed expert, and inadvertently allowed the trail to go cold.

We want to help.  We have resources in multiples of thousands more than the entire police force.  For every one on the ground, there can be dozens of us scouring the internet for signs of this young man.  In an integrated world, you have to look at the physical and the electronic, so why tie your hands?

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful. Edward R. Murrow

nighstalker160 says:

I really don’t accept the theory that this kid is so addicted to gaming that he fled because his 360 got taken away.

BUT, if that IS the theory that police are running with it makes absolute sense to put his gamertag out there.  The first thing an addict does is try to get a fix.  Which means this kid is desperately searching for a 360 to get online with.  Releasing his gamertag simply expands the number of people that are looking for this kid in the online environment.

Vigilante justice is NOT nearly as common as you seem to believe.  At least here in the United States.  So releasing his gamertag would allow others to see this kid’s friends.  That doesn’t mean they can track those people down, or are then going to travel to try and find those people to meet out justice.

It’s a risk/reward balance which is always the case with releasing information to the public.  Should the police not release suspect descriptions or "person of interest" descriptions out of fear of vigilante justice?

I think you’re arguing about a problem that doesn’t really exist, at least certainly not the level you seem to think.  I doubt there’s going to be posse’s forming to find every friend of this kid and bring justice to them.

It’s also always easier to track an ACTIVE conncetion than one that previously connected and having the kid’s tag out there just increases the number of eyes searching for that active connection.  It’s just more eyes on the hunt which is a good thing.

sqlrob says:

And given the summary of events, not particularly stable either. So "just harrassment" is a problem.

Why does the gamertag need to be posted at all? MICROSOFT would have the records, they’re the only ones you need to talk to. They’d have the IPs, what other gamertags have come from the same IP.

What worries ME is the possibility of everybody on this kid’s buddy list (I don’t use Live so I don’t know if that is what it is called) suddenly being a suspect in the eyes of authorities because the working theory appears to be that this kid went to meet some fellow COD4 player.

You can see "friends of" a given tag as well. You’re worried about the police. What about vigilantes?

nighstalker160 says:

What exactly is your point?  Yes the Myspace Suicide was a horrible tragedy involving internet harrasment.  But in this case, no one knows where this kid is.  Sure he COULD get harrassed, but that presumes he signs online from somewhere.

Did you miss the whole point that this kid is MISSING.  Releasing his gamertag would allow the ENTIRE XBOX live community to be part of finding him.  That is a lot of people with eyes who are looking to see if this kid signs on.  If he’s so "addicted" as his parents claim he will be looking for a way to get on.  If someone saw him online they could notify authorities or MS who might be able to track where he’s signing on from.

At this point it’s far better that this kid get harrassed online…at least that would mean he’s alive.  He can change his gamertag after he’s found.

Neeneko says:

While it is fun to blame it on ‘missing white kid syndrome’, in reality, plenty of white kids go missing all the time too.

What it really takes is some unusual element (or just a producer deicding to prime the pump) to get the media going.  In many ways it’s kinda random,..

Within the US, there are nearly 800,000 reports of missing children per year.  Only about half a dozen make prime time news with only half a dozen rising to the level of national story with big corperations and celbrities getting involved.

I can garuntee that those numbers are NOT 5 white kids and 799,995 black/asian/hispanic/etc children.

In short, ‘missing white kid syndrom’ is BS.  It’s a product of selective viewing of media when one is looking for descriminiation.

DeepThorn says:

These are a bunch of idiots that don’t know what they are talking about. (The police, the parents, the local news paper)

So the CoD4 is not a solid fact.  The parents never involved themselves in their childs life enough, and were horrid parents, the police are taking the "games made him do it" excuse and running with it, even though it may result in certain death of the child due to their lack of logical response, and what else do you expect from the press.  After all, the press said the VT shooter was a gamer, when he refused to ever play video games.

DeepThorn says:

I think the police are stupid thinking that they could do better with information, such as the gamertag, than the community.  They need to realize where their expertise is, and quit acting like they know everything.  If they did, they would have found him by now.

Not saying that this whole ordeal has ANYTHING to do with Xbox Live, since I seriously doubt it still.  This is the biggest circus in the world right now, and the biggest joke of an investigation.  I will take JT more serious than these people.

DarkSaber says:

It’s the parents. They like to chuck this blame around, but can’t even get the name of the game he was ‘seriously addicted to’ consistent.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Brokenscope says:

Okay, I’m still confused by this.

Original Article mentions that the game was a WW2 game.

2nd Article Mentions he got the game with christmas money in 2006, and has been playing it for 18 months(COD 4 has been out for just under 12 months now).

I mean if were gonna name him the COD 4 Teen, shouldn’t we make sure we get the iteration of the game right?

DarkSaber says:

It’s the typical and highly annoying ‘Missing white kid syndrome’ (See also: Madeline McCann)

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

nighstalker160 says:

Well the $50,000 reward isn’t really THAT unusual.  Especially since 1/2 of it is being put up by MS.  So it isn’t a "government" reward.

But untimately you’re right, it’s a sensationalist story.  Kid goes missing, parents are blaming the bogey-man of the moment (video games and gamers) so it’s a good story.  Them there evil vidja games turned this sweet boy into some kind of horrible addict (which of course connects this to drugs as well).

It’s purely sensationalist journalism.  But let’s at least try to find the kid right?

GoliathWon says:

Ok, this is a serious question. Not to undermine how terrible this situation is, but don’t kids go missing all the time?  2,185 children are reported missing every day. How is this kid worth over $50,000 and mobilizing people accross the country? What makes this remarkable enough to report on national news and not the other 2,184 kids?

Haggard says:

Look, I’m sure the police have it perfectly under control. Microsoft are assumedly going to notice if he logs in. We, as gamers, can’t do anything to help and would presumably get in the way if we tried. Handing out his gamertag will reduce the controls on the situation the police currently have because then suddenly he’ll have thousands of friend invites.

nighstalker160 says:

I don’t know if there’s anyway MS could restrict the tag in anyway.  Maybe only allow messages from currently existing friends and THEN release the tag?  So that no messages can come from people who added the kid after the release?  I do see that as a legitimate concern.

Neeneko says:

As with any high profile case, it’s always possible that there is someone in the police (or prosecuters office) that wants to make damn sure that they get the credit for cracking the case, therefor they won’t make it easy for any structure that isn’t under their control to find him.

nightwng2000 says:

Apparently, there is further manipulation by certain individuals to keep the search from being properly performed.  If those individuals really are whispering in the ears of the police to prevent valuable information from being shared with the public and, therefore, preventing a large segment of society from helping, then those indivdiuals are actually creating a dangerous situation for Brandon and they should be held responsible for any harm that comes to him.

This isn’t out of vengence or hate, it’s out of the simple fact that there ARE a large number of folks that Brandon had obviously had contact with but are being kept in the dark so they can’t provide assistance.  THAT places Brandon in greater jeapordy.

Since we don’t have a Gamertag, I’d recommend this to the COD4 community on XBox Live:

If you’ve noticed a fairly heavy playing teammate or opponent having gone missing in the very recent time, report it.  It’s possible he’s playing somewhere else, or using a new gamertag, but don’t let anything slip by you.  If he stopped playing, and he’s as good as they say and he played as heavily as they say, then someone noticed.  And the release of that gamer tag may also help to communicate with those online who he trusted.

NW2K Software

Neeneko says:

If I were to guess, the only misuse I could think of that would hurt things is if they are watching the account for incoming messages that might reveal something.  If the gamertag was already out there then people would probably be flooding it with crap.

They also might be worried about someone hijacking the account, but that seems a bit more out there.

Any chance GP could ask for clarification? Their explination for why they are not allowing the gaming community to help is kinda sketchy.

Pinworm says:

It’s sad for me to read these to see how misinformed and wrong these people are about how these things work, yet persue the wrong areas and put valuable time into them.

What a pity.

Also, I have to ask, how the fuck would we ‘misuse’ his gamertag? The best we could do is harass him, and the worst that will do is have him found to be harassed. Absolutely illogical. And that’s assuming the internet, as horrible as it is, would waste time doing that.. Which we would not. If not for moral reasons, then because there’s just nothing funny to do.

Lame. Totally lame.

GoodRobotUs says:

Well, the gamers can hardly help if no-one will let them, though I can understand concerns about releasing details, it’s not standard police policy to release any more details than is neccesary, the purpose for that is about identification and decreasing pranksters and hoaxers, who have been in existence long before video games existed.