Proposed Canadian Law: Don’t Game While Driving

It might seem obvious that rocking out with Guitar Hero: On Tour on your Nintendo DS while cruising down the freeway is not a good idea.

But a cabinet member in Canada wants to make it official. As reported by the St. Catherine’s Standard, Transportation Minister Jim Bradley (smiling at left) has introduced a bill to outlaw the use of handheld electronic devices while driving. Among the measure’s prohibitions are mobile phones, DVD players and portable video game systems.

Violators would be subject to a $500 fine. Of his proposal, Bradley said:

You should have both hands on the wheel…

Passengers would not be restricted from using portable electronics.

Adamas Draconis says:

Try a truck driver wanting to merge on a narrow bridge while yammering on his phone. Damn near squashed me and another car into the railing before he heard our horns! Talk about a panic moment!

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Father Time says:

I really says you must have two hands on the steering wheel? Really?

Listen if a man with no arms can drive a steering wheel with his feet and not need a handicapped license than I think the general public can handle steering with one hand.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

NateDogg says:

The first thing that came to mind while reading this was "so I can’t shift my gears in the car because it causes me to only have one hand on the wheel?"  I really don’t mind the part about cell phones, those people still piss me off.  The distraction is the main thing that needs to be taken care of.

E. Zachary Knight says:

I believe it is law in some states that DVD player screen cannot be in eyeshot of the driver when in stalled. Basically only passengers should be able to see the screen.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page:
    Facebook Page:

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

sqlrob says:

Two hands on the wheel isn’t as important as the distraction. I think the electronic limitation is too much, make it broader.

And heck, it’s probably already on the books if you just enforce it. "Reckless driving".

Loudspeaker says:

Yeah let’s get those horrible video games out of drivers hands that caused…  Wait… How many accidents have these things caused?

Well whatever the percentage may be they’re still more dangerous than women driving on the road while doing their makeup in the vanity mirror.

"Volume helps to get a point across but sharp teeth are better."

Icehawk says:

yet another example of the axiom:  There is little less common than common sense.

If those people would only have a decency of killing themselves off without endangering others… oh well if they dont want to play nice than make a few laws.

SimonBob says:

You mean the Trans-Canada Highway — we don’t have "interstates" up here. ;D

(But while I’m on the subject, who’s the idiot that decided I-96 and I-69 should merge halfway and then split off in opposite directions?  That was a very confusing trip to Chicago, let me tell you.)

The Mammon Industry

Vake Xeacons says:

It’s bad enough when you see people doing this stuff while you’re heading down the interstate, but have you ever been in the car WITH THEM?! Try changing lanes in you state capitol downtown, while you’re driver’s talking on a cell phone!

You do not want to be there. I still wake up in a cold sweat at nights.

Father Time says:

Dvd players? What if someone were to put in a concert DVD and just listen to that while they drive? I don’t see the harm in that.

Perhaps they can add a loophole that would cover that sort of thing.

Anyway that remind me of a amgazine article were they interviewed one of the lead designers of Burnout for the PSP. The interviewer mentioned the possibility that people could play the game while driving.

He seemed a little freaked out and said something along the lines of ‘Oh God, I hope nobody tries that’. Funny.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

Adamas Draconis says:

You forgot sexual activity. (Not kidding, driver and passenger full speed ahead.) Needless to say I got as farr as I could and called the highway patrol.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

SimonBob says:

So, having one hand on my wheel and the other on the windowsill in the summer would be illegal?  No thanks.  That’s what I like about this law: it specifically denounces activities which are truly distracting.  It bugs me that his rationale is incorrect, but that doesn’t matter as much as what’s actually on the books.

The Mammon Industry

Vake Xeacons says:

But it violates freedom! WE HAVE A RIGHT TO DRIVE LIKE IDIOTS! We have a right to reach level 10 while cruisin’ I-5!

Seriously, it’s funny and it’s sad and it’s scary at the same time. You have to wonder why people actually DO crazy stuff while driving? I think we’re all guilty of the "one hand on the wheel, one hand on the burger/drink" variety, but CHANGING DIAPERS?!! GUITAR HERO?

The law just means people are going to get in trouble for this. The fact we have to make the law means PEOPLE ACTUALLY DO THIS STUFF!!!

I think I’ll walk…

Mr. Stodern says:

I have a solution though: Suspend the legal system, and all the smart people stay indoors while the stupid people wipe themselves out, like they would actually do if smart people would just let them.

VideolandHero says:

My grandma had a car with a built in DVD player, but it was only for the back seat.  GPS systems are actually useful to use while driving.  Satellite radio is fine because you still have your eye on the road while listening to music.  They are not to blame.

— Official Protector of Videoland!

Loudspeaker says:

Ahhhh… Of course!  It’s the automakers and aftermarket parts resellers fault!  Damn them for selling us stuff we can use while driving even though it isn’t safe!

Statements like this are why I’m glad no law can ever override Darwinism.

"Volume helps to get a point across but sharp teeth are better."

Malygris says:

When automakers stop designing cars with built-in DVD players, GPS systems, satellite radios and god knows what else, I’ll stop answering my phone when it rings while I’m driving.

barra_sadei says:

I think that when they crash into another car, person, or inanimate object, it’s a sort of punishment itself… Plus, this might take a turn like those anti-smoking adds that popped up in the US in the late 90s (I think). Instead of their intended effect, kids responded to it as "it’s a normal thing to smoke," just like it’s "normal to get drunk off your ass at college."

It’s a good law, though. It’s not exclusive to gaming…

j00lius says:

Yeah, the GP article makes it sound federal.  If you don’t follow the link to the source article, you would never know.  I only know that it’s just for Ontario because I live here.

sqlrob says:

Better idea, even better. Replace "electronical device" with "any action"

Dangerous driving is dangerous driving whether it’s cell phone, radio, eating, shaving, putting on makeup, changing diapers… (I have seen all of this)

King of Fiji says:

How about a law that states "Any electronical device that

1)  Takes away the hands of the driver from the wheel.

2)  Impeedes the abilituy for the driver to safely operate the car.

Is illegal to use while driving unless the operator pulls off to the side or is in standing idle.

I’m sick and tired of loopholes helping douchebags get away with being douchebags.  Granted its virtually hard to prove in court but still.  If every person who drove with their cell phone could get the cancer then the world would be a better place because instead of driving and putting me at potential risk for crashing because they are oblivious bumholes they’d be too sick from the chemo threapy to drive at all let alone talk on their god damned bloody cell phone/play their DS, and so on and so forth..

Zevorick says:

Hell yeah. Reminds me of road trips… driving down I 45, busting out the dekstop computer, and playing some counterstrike! They can take away my car, but they can never take… my freedom! pew pew pew!

Doomsong says:

Won’t the lack of restrictions on "portable electronic devices" just encourage morons to check their e-mail on their laptop during rush hour traffic?

SeanB says:

yeah, distracted driving laws are all the rage up here right now. While they make sense, the laws very seldom ever go anywhere, because they apply to such an incredibly small percentage of drivers.

Laws already exist in many areas of canada that restrict a few of those things anyway, this guy just wants to be the one to suggest the first "federal" control. yay him.