Second Life: Interactive Map Shows Real-time Polling Data

October 29, 2008 -

Is McCain gaining ground on Obama?

Is Obama surging ahead?

Second Life users can check out the latest presidential poll data, thanks to a clever, interactive polling map created by Steve Nelson, who also devised the SL-Twitter mashup we reported on earlier this month.

At his Clear Night Sky blog, Steve describes some of the tech behind his latest creation:

Capitol Hill in Second Life continues to draw visitors from around the world interested in the political season... I’ve added an electoral map that shows most recent polling on a state-by-state basis...

I may channel my inner Brokaw and use the map in manual mode on election night, or I might challenge myself to quickly find a site that can be Dapper-scraped and feed the board automatically.

Comments

Re: Second Life: Interactive Map Shows Real-time Polling Data

And people living real lives can do it using a web browser...

Re: Second Life: Interactive Map Shows Real-time Polling Data

Not anything new, Electoral-vote.com did it 4 years ago (and still does it now)

Re: Second Life: Interactive Map Shows Real-time Polling Data

Yeah, "most recent" isn't entirely informative when your latest poll might be from a suspect source.  Better to at least get an aggregate, or better yet a scrutinized analysis.  Or heck, they could probably just change the map to the front page of 538.

---
The Mammon Industry

---
Fangamer

Re: Second Life: Interactive Map Shows Real-time Polling Data

538 is the most accurate map. In general, electoral maps get more accurate the closer we get to election due to having less undecided voters.

Fox's map shows up on default, look just how to the right it leans. Why the hell are Iowa and Oregon toss-up states? Now compare that to RCP and Politico when you click on the buttons. Politico's left bias is as big as Fox's right bias.

Re: Second Life: Interactive Map Shows Real-time Polling Data

Dear Lord. People stillt ake those seriously? Every single poll I've seen has various swing states decided for both candidates. No two can basically agree. It's hard to take em seriously anymroe.

Poll